More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• csaacsaa Posts: 812

Finally found a female hair that stands up well to aggresive mesh decimation: Sylvia Hair.

Sgt. Inez: Somnolence | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

edited June 2022

A beat cop is a police officer who walks, rides, cycles, or drives in a specific neighborhood, known as a “beat.” Because the officer routinely patrols in the same area, he or she becomes well-known in the community, creating a positive relationship between law enforcement and the community. Neighborhood residents will usually feel comfortable approaching the beat cop to talk about issues in the community, and they may be more inclined to report problems when they feel like they have a personal connection with the department. -- source

Sgt. Inez: Beat Cop | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on
  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited June 2022

City Heroes_blenderNPR

hi guys , long time not posting in here due my daily and freelance works . Here my new NPR image , created using easy scifi tools in Blender and my (upcoming ) photoshop action

Hope you like it guys

City Heroes.bexrSTEPB.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 764K
    Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 835

juvesatriani That looks super cool!!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,787

Great creation, @juvesatriani, looks awesome.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

That's a very cool render @juvesatriani - your work always has such vibrant and gorgeous colors! It's pure eye candy! Well done!

edited June 2022

Thanks @Artini @SapphireBlue and @3Diva for nice words ,

Here another experiment to speed up my workflow . I think I`ve just find easy method from Blender render without multipass but direct processing using my JSToon Kit Photoshop Action

Scifi Test 2

The second image is the Blender render with slightly post in Photoshop 

Again Hope you like it and thanks 

ScifiToonStylex.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 1M
    Scifi_blender.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 190K
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

I've been busy too. Between my job slamming me, and wanting to focus what little free time on my comic, I haven't had time for many one-off renders.

edited July 2022

Impounded by the dreadful clocks | And goaded by the metronomes

Let us patrol the empty blocks | And keep the furies to their homes

And let us watch the freezing stars | Destroying darkness in the sky

"Night Watch" by Edward Weismiller

Sgts. Andrea & Inez: The Night Watch (Respite) | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post edit

Post edited by csaa on
    edited July 2022

some fun experiment using AI Art Generator( based on Pink Bar Image from my DA ). Handy tools for  if we` re experiencing creative block :)

AI Generative

Another great creation, @juvesatriani. Looks great.

edited July 2022

Revisit JSFlat

Revisit my JSFlat (pwToon) and photoshop action enhancement

1500 x 1500 - 794K
    edited July 2022

Very nice composition and the image itself, @juvesatriani.

I think the composition of your images is very important,

and then adding NPR is just the final touches,

that make looking at your creation a very pleasant experience.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited July 2022

Some screen grabs from a work in progress ...

Cheers!

Sgts. Cleo & Inez | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on
    edited July 2022

juvesatriani said:

Revisit JSFlat

Revisit my JSFlat (pwToon) and photoshop action enhancement

Wow! That's stunning! Well done! If I saw that on DeviantArt or Instagram I'd definitely not immediately guess that it's 3D. I think it's VERY close to "passing" for 2D! You're getting such a great style and look with your process!

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited July 2022

csaa said:

Some screen grabs from a work in progress ...

Cheers!

Sgts. Cleo & Inez | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Oh cool!

I like the composition of the first one, but she's a bit "lost" in the background. Can you lighten the background so she doesn't blend in so much? Or increase the line weight of the character so that she's separated from the background a little more?

That second one looks like great cover art. Excellent! 

Post edited by 3Diva on

3Diva said:

Oh cool!

I like the composition of the first one, but she's a bit "lost" in the background. Can you lighten the background so she doesn't blend in so much? Or increase the line weight of the character so that she's separated from the background a little more?

That second one looks like great cover art. Excellent! 

Thanks for the feedback,  3Diva. The B&W image is a frame in a series of comic panels in w/c the scene is indoors, with little lighting. A clandestine special op is unfolding, a build up to violence. That's the context. Hence the darker shades and tones of the background.

Hopefully I can share a working draft of the comic soon at the 3D Comic Boot Tips and Pictures thread.

Cheers!

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895

I used the excellent model "Gasser Muscle Car" which should be labelled "Gasser Hot Rod Pickup". But despite it's title, I simply love this model and would highly recommend it. I wish there were more models of vintage hot rods and race cars.

I did a simple render via Iray Ray and used Photoshop & Rebelle 4 to create the illustration.

I hope you like it.

HRA2_85_Nasty Pickup {2022}=KRM02.jpg
    1500 x 1072 - 375K
    edited July 2022

Sgt. Inez: Marks-wo-manship| Daz Studio assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on
    edited July 2022

nice render guys !!

Here  City blok concept for my friend/client comic . Randomize using geonode and jsPlacement in Blender then make it look NPR in Photoshop

CityBlock

CityBlock_draft.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 660K
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Feels like a synthwave album is about to break out.

kenmo said:

I used the excellent model "Gasser Muscle Car" which should be labelled "Gasser Hot Rod Pickup". But despite it's title, I simply love this model and would highly recommend it. I wish there were more models of vintage hot rods and race cars.

I did a simple render via Iray Ray and used Photoshop & Rebelle 4 to create the illustration.

I hope you like it.

That's awesome! It looks like a painting! Excellent work!

@csaa Cool pose and composition. :)  I like that foreshortening, it's very dynamic!

@juvesatriani Your work is a feast for the eyes - the colors are so gorgeous. You've developed a distinctive style that is immediately recognizable as your work, which can be very difficult to do with 3D art. Awesome work developing a reproducible and instantly recognizable style. And it's really such a beautiful style too!

vrba79 said:

Feels like a synthwave album is about to break out.

Yeah, it feels very cyberpunk to me. He's really developed a great distinctive style, which I think can be pretty hard for 3D artists to achieve.

While we all could use a break from the sweltering heat, I'm taking a break from black-and-white cel shading. Here's a work in progress adding color to Sgts. Andrea and Inez, the two Genesis 8.1 figures I typically work with.

I've completed the shaders for body and hair assets imported from Daz into Blender. The way I conceived these characters, Sgt. Inez is Asian of northern ethnicity, while Sgt. Andrea is Latin American of Caucasian descent.  Working in black and white presents a bit of a challenge when it comes to portraying a character's race. Color only makes it easier to cue the viewer into this fact. Mind you, this is NPR -- instead of photorealism, the art is wholly suggestive. I'm not aiming for accuracy.

Coloring the armor is finished as well, though I suspect it could use a bit more polish here and there. Sgt. Andrea wears the monocrhomatic colors of the original shader I've used up until now. (Speaking of 'polish' one of my goals was to correct the jaggedness of the speculars so they blend in easily with the highlights. Looks okay so far.) When the work is done I'll also apply these new colors to Sgt. Andrea's armor.

Cheers!

• Phyre FeyPhyre Fey Posts: 18
    edited July 2022

After spending the last year trying to achieve a soft manga look in Iray I finally broke down and tried 3delight using the visual style shaders. And I'm actually kinda mad. Because the results are stunning and exactly what I've been trying to achieve. I'm really disapointed with the lack of NPR support in DAZ in the last few years. I would really love to see more recent products in iray that could achieve this look. Until then I think I'm switching to 3 delight as my engine of choice. Which is weird for me because I only started DAZ in 2020 and have only known the Iray engine. 

Post edited by Phyre Fey on
    edited July 2022

MagesMoon,

Have you tried Sketchy for Iray? I took a chance and experimented with it more than a year ago and was pleased with the results. There's a bit of a learning curve, made a lot steeper because of sparse documentation and non-intuitive user interface. But Sketchy has very good NPR shaders! I recommend looking at  XxGreyxX's gallery as a portfolio example. My own interest was mainly in using Sketchy for black-and-white images. Some samples below.

Of course this was all before I took to Blender. Blender has a number of amazing NPR shaders for Eevee and/or Cycles.

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,122

MagesMoon said:

After spending the last year trying to achieve a soft manga look in Iray I finally broke down and tried 3delight using the visual style shaders. And I'm actually kinda mad. Because the results are stunning and exactly what I've been trying to achieve. I'm really disapointed with the lack of NPR support in DAZ in the last few years. I would really love to see more recent products in iray that could achieve this look. 

You're working at cross purposes. Iray is an unbiased PBR rendering engine; it's designed to be physically accurate and achieve realistic looks. It's possible to get NPR looks with Iray, but it's not really the right tool for the job.

• Phyre FeyPhyre Fey Posts: 18
    edited July 2022

csaa said:

MagesMoon,

Have you tried Sketchy for Iray? I took a chance and experimented with it more than a year ago and was pleased with the results. There's a bit of a learning curve, made a lot steeper because of sparse documentation and non-intuitive user interface. But Sketchy has very good NPR shaders! I recommend looking at  XxGreyxX's gallery as a portfolio example. My own interest was mainly in using Sketchy for black-and-white images. Some samples below.

Of course this was all before I took to Blender. Blender has a number of amazing NPR shaders for Eevee and/or Cycles.

Cheers!

Yes I tried Sketchy first, however I didn't find it quite that convincing and I did a lot of tweaking. It's nice for a western style inking look but for that softer shaded aspect, not so much. I was just about ready to learn Blender just for the Eevee engine and the really nice NPR shaders available. But before I did, I thought I try 3 delight. And I'm delighted actually. XD 

You're working at cross purposes. Iray is an unbiased PBR rendering engine; it's designed to be physically accurate and achieve realistic looks. It's possible to get NPR looks with Iray, but it's not really the right tool for the job.

Yes I'm aware what Iray is designed for. What I'm saying is that I'm finding that DAZ and most vendors seem to be increasingly abandonning 3 delight for Iray. I don't expect Iray to not do what it's supposed to. I WOULD like to see continued support for 3 delight even if it's just for NPR. 

Post edited by Phyre Fey on
    edited July 2022

Sgts. Andrea & Inez: The Fog on One's Psyche | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on