More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited July 2022

MagesMoon said:

csaa said:

MagesMoon,

Have you tried Sketchy for Iray? I took a chance and experimented with it more than a year ago and was pleased with the results. There's a bit of a learning curve, made a lot steeper because of sparse documentation and non-intuitive user interface. But Sketchy has very good NPR shaders! I recommend looking at  XxGreyxX's gallery as a portfolio example. My own interest was mainly in using Sketchy for black-and-white images. Some samples below.

Of course this was all before I took to Blender. Blender has a number of amazing NPR shaders for Eevee and/or Cycles.

Cheers!

Yes I tried Sketchy first, however I didn't find it quite that convincing and I did a lot of tweaking. It's nice for a western style inking look but for that softer shaded aspect, not so much. I was just about ready to learn Blender just for the Eevee engine and the really nice NPR shaders available. But before I did, I thought I try 3 delight. And I'm delighted actually. XD 

You're working at cross purposes. Iray is an unbiased PBR rendering engine; it's designed to be physically accurate and achieve realistic looks. It's possible to get NPR looks with Iray, but it's not really the right tool for the job.

Yes I'm aware what Iray is designed for. What I'm saying is that I'm finding that DAZ and most vendors seem to be increasingly abandonning 3 delight for Iray. I don't expect Iray to not do what it's supposed to. I WOULD like to see continued support for 3 delight even if it's just for NPR. 

Sketchy is pretty versatile. You can get some really interesting looks with it, IMO. But you have to get creative with it. This is done with Sketchy - using four different sketchy shader presets that give drastically different looks and then layering them in Photoshop plus a couple of PS filters:

B C D E and L as Lighten Layer w FT 06-22 Cropped SMALL.jpg
    800 x 1402 - 436K
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited July 2022

Harley Quinn _ DC World Collide version

Having fun with this one . The model from Game DC World Collide . Extracted and corrected in Blender then export into DAZ so I can use my !JS Stylized and multipass presets

And like always corrected color and shadow in Photoshop

Harley_edit.jpg
    3000 x 3000 - 5M
    Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • Phyre FeyPhyre Fey Posts: 18

Awesome Harley Quinn! 

Really quick test render using the free manga lights with visual style and the geometry shell outline. I am 100% loving it. 

• csaacsaa Posts: 812

Sgts. Andrea, Cleo & Inez: Rooftop Discussion | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,172

MagesMoon said:

Yes I'm aware what Iray is designed for. What I'm saying is that I'm finding that DAZ and most vendors seem to be increasingly abandonning 3 delight for Iray. I don't expect Iray to not do what it's supposed to. I WOULD like to see continued support for 3 delight even if it's just for NPR. 

OK, but that's the opposite of what you said in the post I quoted.

• MagesMoon said:

Awesome Harley Quinn! 

Really quick test render using the free manga lights with visual style and the geometry shell outline. I am 100% loving it. 

I love this! Which geometry shell outline did you use?

MagesMoon said:

Yes I tried Sketchy first, however I didn't find it quite that convincing and I did a lot of tweaking. It's nice for a western style inking look but for that softer shaded aspect, not so much. I was just about ready to learn Blender just for the Eevee engine and the really nice NPR shaders available. But before I did, I thought I try 3 delight. And I'm delighted actually. XD 

MagesMoon,

I have to confess I don't know much about 3Delight rendering or any of the Daz NPR add ons using 3Delight. Like yourself, I had a 'vision' in mind, a particular NPR aesthetic, when I started experimenting with NPR more than a year ago. At that point, I surveyed my options and found a good number of tools: Daz-Iray or Daz-3Delight; Blender; even Unreal. Sensing the deep dive I was about to make, I made the choice to keep things simple and and to stay with up to three options. Happily I got the look I wanted on the third try. (First was Daz-Sketchy; then Daz-Unreal using Unreal cel shaders; last, Daz-Blender with Eevee.)

I believe I understand what you're aiming for when you say you want the "softer shaded" look. I grew up appreciating anime cel shading in the 80s and 90s; to me that's the aesthetic you're trying to evoke. I also understand why you say Sketchy falls short of it. Not to hard sell it, Sketchy can approximate that with a bit of elbow grease. But seeing that you've hit the mark with 3Delight ... congratulations! I've been on that long and winding road of experimentation -- full of false turns and compromises -- and I know the satisfaction that comes with reaching one's goal.

On that note, let me say something about chasing one's golden ring such as experimenting with NPR styles. It's hard enough that the journey is fraught with twists and turns. It's harder to hear feedback that's dogmatic and discouraging. I've had my share of kibitzers who naysay; who dish out dos an don'ts that, on deeper examination, aren't well thought out, or aren't supported by practical experience. Sadly, when we share our experiments in a public space, we open ourselves up to criticism, unfair ones included. Having a thick skin helps a lot to ward off the arrows and the barbs. In the end though, the proof is in the pudding. Part of the satisfaction at accomplishing one's goal comes from proving the critics wrong.

Thick skin or not, children put the matter best when they approach the unknown with curiosity and an open mind.

Hope to see more of your work.

Cheers!

• Gordig said:

MagesMoon said:

OK, but that's the opposite of what you said in the post I quoted.

Oh yeah so I did. I'm sorry I think I had wanted to edit that post but couldn't as it was waiting to be approved. I amended it in my head only and forgot I never actually changed it. Once I played more with 3 delight I changed my mind on trying NPR with Iray at all. 

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited August 2022

daztoon

Some mashup exploration between IRAY ( for getting Bloom FX ) and pwToon for upcoming gig project.   

Even I think Blender EEVEE Bloom and freestyle probably giving me better results but working in DAZ seem easier for entire project workflow .

Now I need to learn how to get proper IRAY Bloom results before I keep exporting scene into Blender :)

ScifiCrate_DazToon.jpg
    2432 x 1368 - 2M
    Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • Phyre FeyPhyre Fey Posts: 18
    edited August 2022

LoreMistress Izaria said:

MagesMoon said:

Awesome Harley Quinn! 

I love this! Which geometry shell outline did you use?

It's the free geoshell from the Manga Style and VSS thread. I didn't change anything here though, just applied as is. I'm also using the  lights and render settings from the free pack. 
    Thread here

csaa said:

MagesMoon,

I have to confess I don't know much about 3Delight rendering or any of the Daz NPR add ons using 3Delight. Like yourself, I had a 'vision' in mind, a particular NPR aesthetic, when I started experimenting with NPR more than a year ago. At that point, I surveyed my options and found a good number of tools: Daz-Iray or Daz-3Delight; Blender; even Unreal. Sensing the deep dive I was about to make, I made the choice to keep things simple and and to stay with up to three options. Happily I got the look I wanted on the third try. (First was Daz-Sketchy; then Daz-Unreal using Unreal cel shaders; last, Daz-Blender with Eevee.)

I believe I understand what you're aiming for when you say you want the "softer shaded" look. I grew up appreciating anime cel shading in the 80s and 90s; to me that's the aesthetic you're trying to evoke. I also understand why you say Sketchy falls short of it. Not to hard sell it, Sketchy can approximate that with a bit of elbow grease. But seeing that you've hit the mark with 3Delight ... congratulations! I've been on that long and winding road of experimentation -- full of false turns and compromises -- and I know the satisfaction that comes with reaching one's goal.

That's exactly it. I have seen what can be done with Eevee and Unreal and it's very cool. I wish DAZ would also embrace NPR because there is a strong come back going on in other communities. If we talk about it then maybe that'll help. Thank you to everyone participating in these threads they have been very helpful to me in figuring out how to approach things. I don't know much about 3 delight either but I think it'll be easier to learn then diving into Blender. Although I do recognize I might have to learn Blender anyway if support for 3 delight and VSS drops entirely. Really sad to not see a trace of pwtoon on the store as an example. 

Post edited by Phyre Fey on
  • juvesatriani said:

Some mashup exploration between IRAY ( for getting Bloom FX ) and pwToon for upcoming gig project.   

Even I think Blender EEVEE Bloom and freestyle probably giving me better results but working in DAZ seem easier for entire project workflow .

Now I need to learn how to get proper IRAY Bloom results before I keep exporting scene into Blender :)

This is great! I was thinking of combining Iray effects and textures as well with canvases IF it doesn't make my workflow take too long.

• LoreMistress IzariaLoreMistress Izaria Posts: 145
    edited August 2022

I came across this effect by accident (following a tutorial for another effect, but stopped at this step). If anyone is interested, I made an action out of it that I can share for Photoshop.

Peacock Birdcage 2 cropped.jpg
    2240 x 4416 - 4M
    Post edited by LoreMistress Izaria on
  • LoreMistress IzariaLoreMistress Izaria Posts: 145
    edited August 2022

Here is a before/after. No other postwork done, just applied the action.

Before After.jpg
    2240 x 4416 - 4M
    Post edited by LoreMistress Izaria on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,850
    edited August 2022

I am experimenting with the Depth Of Field in images and I like it very much, so far.

Below are some of the examples. What do you think?

tdn201.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 98K
    tdn202.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 97K
    tdn203.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 84K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited August 2022

Slight adjustments. I think, I like it better.

tdn304.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 92K
    Post edited by Artini on

Sgt. Inez: Walk in the Park | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

• Phloki3dPhloki3d Posts: 124

I took a break from photoreal renders and took a deep dive into the Toon material available within Octane Render for a personal project - so far I'm super happy with the results. The only post work was to add a little grain and chromatic aberration for style:

03.png
    666 x 799 - 653K
    05.png
    800 x 783 - 990K

Phloki3D,

I don't see much of Octane here in the forum, photoreal or not. It's certainly interesting to find posts showcasing Octane toon shaders! (Typically I turn to Instagram where Lino Grandi frequently shares Octane-toon renders.)

When the free Daz-Octane add on came out a while back, I tried it and had a blast. Others on the forum didn't take to it very well. The major complaint they had was the extra effort required to customize the Octane materials and renderer. Why bother, they seem to say, when iRay and Daz does most of that from the get go.

But exporting Daz assets to another application, and re-jigging shaders, lighting and what not, comes with the NPR territory. More and more I see people scaling those heights to produce bespoke renders in Blender, Unreal or Unity just to name a few. So why not with Octane too, given that's its such a capable renderer.

Thanks again for sharing these images. Hope to see more of your work.

Cheers!

@csaa thanks for the comments and also for pointing me in the direction of Lino Grandi's work - definitely interesting to see their workflow.

For me, Octane within Daz has always been my go-to render engine, so it's become second nature to configure materials within it's material tab as opposed to the native Surfaces tab. I tend to just leave the viewport on Smooth Shaded and use Octane's live Viewport so I can alter materials and see the results on-the-fly. 

I can understand why it might not be convenient to some though, ease of use comes with the territory of Daz after all, but for me I like to tweak materials and presets anyway so it was natural.

Besides, the time taken to configure the materials within Octane means I don't have to export the models anywhere, I don't have to run multiple passes, the render is almost instant and I've achieved the look that I want (I'm lazy and impatient in that sense). So, the trade-off of the learning curve is worth it in my opinion!  

preview.jpg
    1327 x 915 - 135K

I came across this effect by accident (following a tutorial for another effect, but stopped at this step). If anyone is interested, I made an action out of it that I can share for Photoshop.

That came out so cool! Beautiful render and lovely effect! I'd really like to check out the Photoshop Action if you're still up to sharing it!
    Artini said:

I like the blur as it helps the main subject stand out more and helps the viewers quickly see where the main focus is meant to be. With 3D images there can be a bit of "information overload" due to the high detail of the environments which can sometimes detract from the main subject in the render. Adding blur or DoF is a great way to bring the focus where it belongs. I rarely see it in NPR work but it is a great idea to add it! Nice work!
    @csaa That's a great render! Sgt. Inez is a lovely character and this render of her brings out her "softer" side. I like the minimalist background with the light texturing, it helps to just keep the focus on her. Very nice!
    Phloki3D said:

I took a break from photoreal renders and took a deep dive into the Toon material available within Octane Render for a personal project - so far I'm super happy with the results. The only post work was to add a little grain and chromatic aberration for style:

Wow! These are awesome! Care to share your shader settings? I've not been able to get nice results like this from Octane and I'd love to know your process. Oh and I really like the render with the girl! I love the untied shoe, is that foreshadowing? Is she going to trip? Will she be ok and escape that scary shadow thing? You've really painted a great "story" in just this single image. It makes one want to know more and is a great way to draw in your audience. Excellent work!

3Diva said:

Wow! These are awesome! Care to share your shader settings? I've not been able to get nice results like this from Octane and I'd love to know your process. Oh and I really like the render with the girl! I love the untied shoe, is that foreshadowing? Is she going to trip? Will she be ok and escape that scary shadow thing? You've really painted a great "story" in just this single image. It makes one want to know more and is a great way to draw in your audience. Excellent work!

The settings for the Toon shader itself are simple. Here's the basic shader settings for the character's face, but for each body part or piece of clothing I tweak the outline thickness to suit. Certain pieces that I want to use highlights on I'll set the lighting mode to Camera Lighting:

Most of the magic though comes down to pairing it with a suitable texture and morph to sell the look. I avoid anything that uses complicated transparency maps (hair in particular) as they just don't suit the toon look in my opinion. I also replace all textures with flat colours and then add in necessary detail.

What you will note however is that whether the lighting mode is set to Toon Lighting or Camera Lighting only really effects the specular highlight. Neither option seems to cast a shadow (for example the hair doesn't cast a shadow onto the face). In fact, lights in the scene don't seem to do anything at all, apparently this setting is only really for Octane Standalone.  For the style I'm going for though, this isn't important and I can manually add a shadow onto the texture (like under the chin) if needed. The Camera Light setting does add some nice highlights out of the box most of the time however. 

Here's another render with all outlines turned off so you can see what's actually powered by the texture

Hope that helps!

breakdown.png
    2330 x 2598 - 3M
    toon-shader.jpg
    363 x 664 - 44K
    breakdown2.jpg
    968 x 780 - 82K

3Diva said:

Artini said:

I like the blur as it helps the main subject stand out more and helps the viewers quickly see where the main focus is meant to be. With 3D images there can be a bit of "information overload" due to the high detail of the environments which can sometimes detract from the main subject in the render. Adding blur or DoF is a great way to bring the focus where it belongs. I rarely see it in NPR work but it is a great idea to add it! Nice work!

Thank you very much.

I like very much images with DOF applied, made in 3D programs or on photos,

so that is why I have started to experiment with DOF also for NPR.

Tried creating a few (hopefully cohesive) panels using the above techniques.

Panels -1.png
    1437 x 1200 - 2M
    Panels - 2.png
    1661 x 1200 - 2M

See, I'm not super into the 3Delight/pwToon looks that make up the bulk of this thread, but this is definitely a look I could get into.

Well, thought I'd give Octane toon rendering a shot, but I figured I should see if I could make flames look good before I spent too much time converting the rest of my Avatar fanfilm.

• @phloki3D thanks for sharing your setup .  Nice render .

It always refreshing to see everyone produce nice NPR images with their own way just like @csaa @artini @3Diva @Loremisthre @magesmoon etc already achieved .

TBH I dont see some magic toon shader better over another in this thread.  Your effort to make it works with whatever tool you like , is something I  called as MAGIC

Thanks again for sharing guys 

• 3Diva said:

LoreMistress Izaria said:

That came out so cool! Beautiful render and lovely effect! I'd really like to check out the Photoshop Action if you're still up to sharing it!

I'm glad you like it. This is my first time sharing an action or uploading anything to ShareCG, so if it doesn't work, please let me know.
    https://sharecg.com/v/99232/view/15/2D-Resources/Free-Cartoon-Style-Photoshop-Action#