No one asked me - Diomede screenshots on whatever - Warning AI Discussion OK

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,024
    edited January 2022

Just a test to see if the forum is posting images yet.

welcome to sherwood

EDIT: guess it worked.

Screenshot 2022-01-12 162229.jpg
    314 x 478 - 45K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Thanks for testing.  I tried to post my Christmas render again (in the other thread) and it still didn't work.  So, I tried a different image, and it worked fine.  So, I resized the Christmas render in PSE, amd this time it worked..

This forum software can be picky. :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

I thought the web gurus were doing funky stuff to the forum yesterday as refreshing edited posts went all wonky

I guess the year 12 kids had a field day at Daz again and played with the tools frown

edited February 2022

Doing some tests in that fancy program, Substance Painter.  Am testing on the football uniform for Genesis 1  (not the current new release for Genesis 8).  This is just placing the base color maps.  I will have to do some investigation into which maps go where in Carrara.  I made some fake logos as if the NFL cares that I would use their logos on the Carrara forum without earning money.  The actual Super Bowl game is the Los Angeles Rams against the Cincinnati Bengals.  The 3D Bowl is the SoCal Male Sheep against the Ohio Valley Striped Tigers.  At the moment, I have only finished the helmets, and haven't even correctly placed all the maps and adjusted Carrara shader settings.  If I get the rest of the uniform for Genesis 1 complete before the Super Bowl starts, I will offer as freebies at ShareCG, not that anyone would know because I suspect the DAZ forums will go down this weekend.  I have made assets to pay tribute uniforms for multiple player numbers, such as the Male Sheep vintage defensive line known as the Fearsome Foursome of Deacon Jones fame.  

It is really just a learning exercise for Substance Painter.

aa01 football uniform.jpg
    1330 x 924 - 186K
    3d bowl test render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 42K
    edited February 2022

I have posted png files for the texture maps at sharecg.  

https://sharecg.com/v/98714/gallery/6/Texture/Texture-Uniforms-Daz-Genesis-1-Football-Uniform

sharecg freebie.jpg
    833 x 738 - 114K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

Nice !!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Yes nice work Ted.

And thanks for this thread, now I'm using Genesis  I'm looking forward to going through it again.

Interestingly I found a way of changing the Uv's in Carrara after twinging and twanging a bit/ Not sure if it's a common workflowthrough or if everyone is already changing the Genesis Uv's in carrara without problem.

If not I'll start a new thread later. Though it's quite simple.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited February 2022

Headwax said:

Yes nice work Ted.

And thanks for this thread, now I'm using Genesis  I'm looking forward to going through it again.

Interestingly I found a way of changing the Uv's in Carrara after twinging and twanging a bit/ Not sure if it's a common workflowthrough or if everyone is already changing the Genesis Uv's in carrara without problem.

If not I'll start a new thread later. Though it's quite simple.

only way I know is save a character preset with the UV in DAZ studio and apply, you can drill down in the character settings in D|S and just have the UV apply 

the preset will work in Carrara

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited February 2022

Hya Wendy,

Thanks for that input.

This is how to do it in Carrara.

I drop in a (eg) genesis child.

Shape the child to my character. Call him Reginald.

If I then drop in a V4 texture it won't align as you know.

Save the Geneisis character Morph/Pose using NLA>Creat Master Pose (That tidbit courtesy of Dart) and call  it "Reginald".

Drop Basic Female Genesis onto my Reginald child character.

This will change Reginal's shape to Genesis female but also the UV's will change. As will the shader of course.

Use the NLA Master Pose you saved on the Genesis figure.

Presto, your figure Reginald comes back.

Drop in any V4 texture you like and it will be aligned.

Told you it was simple!

Post edited by Headwax on
  • well you can load the presets that exist already too such as David5, V5 etc

I thought you meant a bespoke one with mixed UVs

edited June 2022

Thanks for the comments, Bunyip, HW, and Wendy.  

The tip about the NLS clip as a UV control is much appreciated.  I generally use G2 characters more than G1.  I think the multiple UVs is an even more common problem for G2s.  As per Wendy, I have been loading the base character whose texture maps I want to use and then zeroing out that character and applying new morphs.  It would be nice to save some NLA clips and be able to change my mind without reloading and starting over.  yes

This video could be used as a reference for some musical theater dance steps

WendyLuvsCatz said:

well you can load the presets that exist already too such as David5, V5 etc

I thought you meant a bespoke one with mixed

mixed uvees, now you are doing my head in! 

I see you and ub 1984k elsewher

Apologies for that

Diomede said:

Thanks for the comments, Bunyip, HW, and Wendy.  

The tip about the NLS clip as a UV control is much appreciated.  I generally use G2 characters more than G1.  I think the multiple UVs is an even more common problem for G2s.  As per Wendy, I have been loading the base character whose texture maps I want to use and then zeroing out that character and applying new morphs.  It would be nice to save some NLA clips and be able to change my mind without reloading and starting over.  yes

Pleasure Ted, havn’t got my head around gen 2 yet. Have so much stuff for  both   but never used.  Like books in my library never read.

• Headwax said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Apologies for that

yes in the Carrara plugin/bridge that saves duf files for us you can have different UV mapping on different surfaces and import your own via obj too, I do it a lot. cheeky

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Headwax said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Apologies for that

yes in the Carrara plugin/bridge that saves duf files for us you can have different UV mapping on different surfaces and import your own via obj too, I do it a lot. cheeky

ha ha thanks Wendy, now I get it!

edited March 2022

This is probably worth reporting in the Carrara forum.  Some of the 'decal' offerings can work in Carrara using the shader room.  For example, there is a decal to add dirt or grass or (whatever) patches to ground planes.  Ignoring the decal object, you can simply apply the maps with the opacity masks in Carrara using the layers list shader. 

Example in this thread.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/558291/solved-ground-decal-new-release-what-is-required-what-is-aotp-ground

Here is a Carrara application.

- choose a ground plane or similar object.

- in the shader room, choose the layer pen tool in the upper right.  For this example I choose the rectangle.

- draw your location in the shader room preview window.

- import the decal maps to the new layer created by the pen.

- if the decal includes opacity maps, import them to the opacity mask channel.

cool yes

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

WendyLuvsCatz said:

cool yes

+1 yes

edited May 2022

Free Silly Figures

Free for any use.  I created some generic toon meshes with corresponding base skeletons rigging.  I posted an example of how to customize a figure for a RingMaster for the 62nd Carrara Challenge - Clowns and Circus.

See example of use here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7486926/#Comment_7486926

Free ZIP file with a generic Male, Female, and Child attached.

EDIT: I have added a second ZIP file with joint constraints.

zip
    zip
    Diomede Generic Figure Bases ZIP.zip
    Dio Generic Figures Screengrab.jpg
    1532 x 949 - 318K
    zip
    zip
    Constraints Dio Generic Clown.zip
    zip
    zip
    Generic Female Reboot 02 CAR ZIP.zip
    zip
    zip
    Putin and Guard ZIP.zip
    zip
    zip
    Animals Circus ZIP.zip
    edited May 2022

you may need to name the bones differently for Mixamo also lacking a root bone at 0,0,0 it pivots on the hip in Unreal Engine retargeting animations

I may be able to fiddle with this in Carrara

I tried using spotlight in Zbrush to projection paint a texture but I did not do too well

the lips seem to overlap and it looks like a see you next Tuesday surprise on the texture that is

I think procedurals are probably best devil

DiomedeGenericFemaleGeneric Female 00-TM_u0_v0.jpg
    4096 x 4096 - 772K
    My tex.jpg
    1080 x 810 - 70K
    edited May 2022

renaming the bones works for Mixamo

well some of them

as you can see did not do one arm so maybe it doesn't like only some

Capture.JPG
    232 x 546 - 43K
    edited May 2022

Thanks for the feedback, Wendy.  I tried replying earlier but the forum boinked on me. Very important tip on the bone names.  Much appreciated.  I have gotten my models in Mixamo as OBJs and used Mixamos automatic skeleton but there is no way to get the animation sequence back to Carrara,  Argh.   The UVs for these silly figures are rough at best because I generally have to do the UVs over again after I add and subtract polygons.  That goes a long way to explain the strange mouth.  In revisiting the UVs, I generally try to model the object and do the initial UVs paying attention to the islands.  It is easy to isolate an island or shading domain and replace the UVs just for that island or shading domain as long as not using the unwrap seam method. In other words, Carrara can select the face, detach polygons, and do a planar projection in the Z axis, and select the lips, detach polygons, and do a cylinder projection, without doing a complete unwrap.

BTW - I tried to subscribe to your WIP channel, but it turned out I was already subscribed.  Did you change the name?  Or is subscribing another thing I have forgotten in my senior stage?

Diomede said:

BTW - I tried to subscribe to your WIP channel, but it turned out I was already subscribed.  Did you change the name?  Or is subscribing another thing I have forgotten in my senior stage?

its Youtube, I don't always see some of my subscriptions new videos, they want you to enable notifications as well and I won't as get too many so they annoy you by not showing you some

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I tried using spotlight in Zbrush to projection paint a texture but I did not do too well

the lips seem to overlap and it looks like a see you next Tuesday surprise on the texture that is

I think procedurals are probably best devil

That is actually pretty amazing given how rough my unwrapped UVs are.  I mentioned that in practice I am still adding and subtracting polygons at this stage so the UVs generally have to be done over anyway.  For anyone not familar with Carrara UVs, it lacks some tools that would make editing the UV map much easier.  I mentioned what I usually do is create shader domains and UV seams first.  The point is to isolate areas that later might be good using one of the projection presets, like planar.  It is hit and miss, but here is one illustration. Unwrap and place the UV islands created by the seams.  Later you can double click and island and revise with projections the UV of just that selection.  You cannot use the unwrap tool for just one island.  If you try to unwrap just one island, Carrara will unwrap the whole model.  Here I will use a projection for just the face and lips because Wendy's ZBrush experiment shows how the lips are problematic from the unwrap

(1)  here is the default UV map of the head for my generic toon female.  Notice the blue line around the face indicating the outer edges of the island and the two small green dots where I put pins, one in the forehead and one on the chin.

(2) here I have double clicked the face island to select all of it, and I have added the lips to the selection by using the menu to select by shading domain

(3) use the UV tools in the properties try to 'detach selected polygons.'  Now if use a projection preset, it will not affect adjacent polygons.

(4) I applied the planar projection preset with 'no split.'  The result looks like a rotated face.

(5) Making sure the face and lips are still selected (sometimes Carrara drops a few vertexes), rotate and resize the face/lips result and place in open map spot.

(6) New Issue, the face is not planar, so applying the planar preset has some issues.  For example, some of the outer blue edges of the cheeks are now inside the face island indicating overlap.  Can adjust manually.

(7) This would improve the lips in Wendy's ZBrush projection but make the cheeks and sides of the face worse.

In general, better to UV map in a different program.

aa01 default uvmap for my generic female see that the face was uvunwrapped can see pins in forehead and chin.jpg
    1568 x 949 - 366K
    aa02 can select face and lips and then use detach polygons.jpg
    1747 x 947 - 404K
    aa03 after detach polygons can apply a planar UV projection to just the face and lips.jpg
    1845 x 963 - 461K
    aa04 rescale and rotate new uv face result to place on map but note that side edges of face where head curves will now be scrunched a little.jpg
    1912 x 968 - 432K
    aa05 can see the blue edge lines in interior so know there is a problem.jpg
    1499 x 832 - 233K
    edited May 2022

yes I use Ultimate Unwrap3d or Zbrush but I often start with Carrara or go back to Carrara afterwards to tweak things

I like the fact you can polypaint paint guides in Zbrush how you want it to try and unwrap

Inspired by the recent challenge (62- Clowns and other circus), I created and rigged a Groucho Marx character in Carrara.  I checked on pinterest and other web spots for a variety of walk cycle references.  To create a walk cycle for Grouho, I have to thank Chapter 15 of The Carrara 5 Pro Handbook by Mike De La Flor and the PhilW video tutorials.  This video is a work in progress for Groucho's bent over walk.  Please let me know if there are any problems viewing.  As always, suggestions welcome.

https://youtu.be/d9Mkh_jdFW0

For the walk cycle reference, I did a simple mapping of a reference image to a plane and inserted that in the Carrara scene next to the rigged character.  I slide the reference plane to line up the next image.

bb01 start for walk cycle.jpg
    2203 x 1270 - 323K

very cool yes

edited June 2022

Just brushing up on my procedural shader skills as applied to terrains, replicators, trees, etc.

Simple scene with single terrain (duplicated once as a platform for replicated objects), single tree, and checkbox for realistic sky.  Just trying to use procedural shaders for tree trunk, leaves, terrain grssland, and terrain cliffs.  Also used a procedural shader to make sure trees did not replicate on steep cliff face.  Terrain is created with filters for craters, mesa, and fractal function.

Carrara terrain tree replicator practice.jpg
    800 x 519 - 51K
    Carrara terrain tree replicator practice 02.jpg
    2520 x 1345 - 280K
    Carrara terrain tree replicator practice 03.jpg
    2512 x 1330 - 438K
    Carrara terrain tree replicator practice 04.jpg
    2478 x 1366 - 412K