Solved - Ground Decal New Release - What is required? What is AOTP Ground?

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
edited March 2022 in The Commons

I am very excited to buy a product that will insert a simple customizable ground with a variety of decals.  However, the description does not say anything is required.  Is something?

See new release Ground Materials Decal by Artist: Andrey Pestryakov

https://www.daz3d.com/ground-decal-materials

In this description it is not clear that I need a prior product; it only refers to 'your ground.'  

Details

Ground Decal Materials will help you add even more different details to your ground. Here you will find 24 decals with sand, stones, grass, roots, dirt, snow, etc.

There are also 25 separate Cutout Opacity Masks, so you can quickly change the silhouette of the decal or turn it off completely.

Looking closely at the accompanying video, the scene starts with something called AOTP Ground already loaded.  Does that come with the product because I didn't find it?  Or, is there another product that I need?  I did not see anyone else asking nor did I see a thread on the 1st page of the commercial forum.

I attach a screencap of the start of the accompanying video where you can see what is already loaded in the scene before the product is applied.

ground decal starts with AOTP loaded where from.jpg
1254 x 713 - 146K
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562

I think ATOP is the artist's initials. I know I have seen it used before and I own a few of their products.

I bought this as well, but haven't installed it yet. My best guess is that the ATOP is one of the artist's preferred ground planes. I would be surprised if you needed a special ground plane to use with the decals.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Jason Galterio said:

I think ATOP is the artist's initials. I know I have seen it used before and I own a few of their products.

I bought this as well, but haven't installed it yet. My best guess is that the ATOP is one of the artist's preferred ground planes. I would be surprised if you needed a special ground plane to use with the decals.

Thank you for your quick reply.

edited March 2022

Solved?  Maybe?

I just applied the decal and different materials to a simple plane.  Presumably, by 'your ground,' the artist really does mean your ground.  

Thanks.

solved applied to a simple plane.jpg
    1877 x 959 - 353K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited March 2022

do iray decals apply to more than one thing?

I admit I never tried them, in Unreal and Twinmotion decals do and have offset and other settings, the iray ones sady don't work in Filament hence my never using them, yet ironically they export as a separate mesh in obj or FBX to other softwares.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

do iray decals apply to more than one thing?

I admit I never tried them, in Unreal and Twinmotion decals do and have offset and other settings, the iray ones sady don't work in Filament hence my never using them, yet ironically they export as a separate mesh in obj or FBX to other softwares.

All good questions.  I don't know.  This is my first time experimenting with this type of content which might be why I am so clueless.

edited March 2022

yeah the coolest thing about decals is you can add cracks and mould to walls, concrete floors, puddles, blood splatters etc, in real time, again I am talking about in other softwares, in DAZ I never figured it out because you cannot see it until render.

I hope it's OK discussing decals in general because this is not an official commercial thread blush

because I am interested in how they work in DAZ studio in general 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,359

Hi all, I'm also interested in these decals, but they seem to have no displacement maps at all and look completely flat in the promos and the video. Could I give them some depth by turning up the included normal maps, do you think? 

I found a tutorial by Oso3D on decals in general 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/75203/wtut-decal-will-s-iray-decal-tutorial#latest

and no, no displacement crying

WendyLuvsCatz said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/75203/wtut-decal-will-s-iray-decal-tutorial#latest

Thanks!

• nabob21nabob21 Posts: 917

In the video the creator uses a product called Arches of the Past. I think that is what the AOTP ground is referring to.

BTW note to Diomede, Carrara loads the iray decals as part of the mesh but they don't have the correct UV mapping, I always forget to remove them in DAZ studio so spend annoying times in the vertex room deleting them

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,359

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Huh, pity really, they're not gonna look too realistic then, especially those with the twigs and stuff ... 

edited March 2022

Thanks for the tips.

The surfaces material list has a normal map but no displacement map.  I am not sure if that is because displacement would not work or if there just isn't one for this particular tile.

To test, I inserted a terrain by AMLM, the jungle floor.  I applied the decal and changed the mask and material.  Here are the results of this simple test.  I am sure with appropriate adjustment of parameters, placement of other ground clutter, etc., the result would look as intended. 

Test renders attached.  I made no effort to match the decal to the terrain.  Just demonstrating that the decal worked.

EDIT: I have also attached a screenshot of the scene tab to confirm that I have simply loaded a ground plane from another product (AMLM) and applied the decal.

aa01 amlm iray terrain.jpg
    107 x 147 - 6K
    aa02 before applying the decal.jpg
    1400 x 2000 - 2M
    aa03 after applying a decal.jpg
    1400 x 2000 - 2M
    aa04 scene setup for decal terrain.jpg
    1128 x 856 - 66K

WendyLuvsCatz said:

BTW note to Diomede, Carrara loads the iray decals as part of the mesh but they don't have the correct UV mapping, I always forget to remove them in DAZ studio so spend annoying times in the vertex room deleting them

Interesting.  I haven't tried to load in Carrara.  I wonder if I could edit the UV.

On further thought, I think it would be easier to just use Carrara's shader tree and the decal maps without the mesh.  Maybe apply a multichannel mixer or layer's list, and apply the decal that way.  The layer tool could probably even handle placement.

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562

nabob21 said:

In the video the creator uses a product called Arches of the Past. I think that is what the AOTP ground is referring to.

Nice catch. I stand corrected.  

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/54161/file_list

It is good to know that the decals do work on any plane. 

edited March 2022

Diomede said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Interesting.  I haven't tried to load in Carrara.  I wonder if I could edit the UV.

On further thought, I think it would be easier to just use Carrara's shader tree and the decal maps without the mesh.  Maybe apply a multichannel mixer or layer's list, and apply the decal that way.  The layer tool could probably even handle placement.

they don't load fresh but if on existing mesh in a product  they are a useless splotch on a surface  

best removed in studio as an utter mess otherwise 

you can do decals in Carrara BTW, there is an option to ovelay a shape and scale and transform it and apply UV projection but it is a Carrara shader function not the same as the DAZ one

edited March 2022

Carrara test. 

Only used the maps from the decals.  Applied to another terrain using the layer's list shader.  This terrain is also by Andrey - the terrain map is called slime from Nature - Swamp, which is probably pretty old because it was in the Poser-format content library.  Only chose it to have something to test on.  Used Carrara's layer pen tool in the shader room to place the decal in one corner of the terrain.

Compared to result if don't use the layer pen, which ends up having the decal apply to the whole original surface.

aa06 rectangle tool.jpg
    1419 x 805 - 145K
    aa07 results move using rectangle.jpg
    640 x 480 - 15K
    aa05 applying in Carrara.jpg
    640 x 480 - 40K

layer pen, yes that's the tool yes

nabob21 said:

Thank you.  Good to confirm that no particular starting terrain is required.

edited March 2022

Daz Studio Example

Ground is from the same PA, his tropical module, the subset with two palm trees - I hid the two palm trees and added a stone by same PA different set.

I applied the dirt/stone decal to the ground from the tropical module.  I moved the stone and decal next to each other with the translate tools.

I added a skeleton and some props.

So that answers my questions.  The decals can be applied to pretty much any object.  You don't need any previous ground object.

Yo, ho, ho, and a bottle of rum.

pirate with terrain decal.jpg
    1400 x 2000 - 603K