The Mac FAQ

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

How would permissions be handled here - would the browser show only folders to which the application had access, or would it show folders to which the user had access but from which the application was barred?

• crocodiliancrocodilian Posts: 82
    edited December 2014

How would permissions be handled here - would the browser show only folders to which the application had access, or would it show folders to which the user had access but from which the application was barred?

Here are the permissions. I don't know quite how permissions system works -- I don't think its application specific, but rather user specific.

Oh, and one thing-- checking the DS log, it indicates that I'm running OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) -- when in fact I'm running 10.10.1 (Yosemite) -- might this be an issue?

RDNA-Info.png
    394 x 200 - 17K
    Post edited by crocodilian on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,498
    edited December 1969

This is weird, permissions can be an issue as I run this setup and it works.
    Other things, can you show the full list from DS CDM?

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    This is weird, permissions can be an issue as I run this setup and it works.
    Other things, can you show the full list from DS CDM?

Sure, attached

NB -- the Daz Studio library from the external drive where DIM sticks the purchases -- that shows up fine.

Again, many thanks for spending part of your Boxing day wrangling with this bit of irritation

Preferences-3.png
    606 x 448 - 117K
    edited December 1969

It looks like it successfully has mapped /Volumes/4TB Palo Alto/My DAZ 3D Library on that disk, am I right?
    Does Poser load the RDNA library OK? Why I ask is that I've seen before people having a after Runtime in that folder name.
    And as you could map /Volumes/4TB Palo Alto/My DAZ 3D Library the problem is most likely in the directory structure RDNA.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Is the external drive always connected?

edited December 2014

@fixmypcmike

Is the external drive always connected?

No, not always. Haven't had any obvious problems with it. Daz itself won't see its content without the library, but when I reattach the drive, it sees it fine.

@Totte

Totte said:
    It looks like it successfully has mapped /Volumes/4TB Palo Alto/My DAZ 3D Library on that disk, am I right?

Yes, but it wasn't the content manager that did it-- I set it up in Daz Install Manager to install my stuff to the external drive.

Somehow, DIM can do what CDM can't.

Does Poser load the RDNA library OK? Why I ask is that I've seen before people having a after Runtime in that folder name.
    And as you could map /Volumes/4TB Palo Alto/My DAZ 3D Library the problem is most likely in the directory structure RDNA.

Yes, Poser can load the library fine.

So I don't think its about the structure of the directory. Its something about CDM's interaction with the drive, because CDM isn't just "not seeing it" -- its mapping a spurious one, eg, something about the CDM's call to the Finder:Chooser seems getting mangled.

One thing I notice from the log is that DS thinks that I'm running OSX 10.9, when I'm in fact running 10.10 . . . could something have changed in Yosemite and not been implemented in DS?

Two other observations:

1) tried it on an external flash drive which has worked in the past-- couldn't map a new directory there. (you'll see in my listing above the "CORSAIR" -- that's an external thumb drive which I've mapped previously. Makes me think maybe something changed/broke in DS 7. Or with Yosemite

2) The behavior of the chooser (the OSX finder window that's popped up to let you select a directory to map) is a bit peculiar. It "pops under" the active DS windows, I have to drag them out of the way in order to access the chooser. This isn't normal behavior for a chooser window-- they usually pop up, on top of whatever program generated them

I'm left with a feeling that "something's not quite right" about how DS is call the chooser . ..

[Edit]

I went back to check my assumption that I could add a directory on the boot drive-- and found to my surprise the same [mis]behavior there.

So its not the external drive that's the problem, its that somethings gone wrong with how DS sees folders on my system

Post edited by crocodilian on
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

So, I've been waiting to update to 4.7
    Thoughts on it, how's it playing on the mac?

edited December 1969

I went back to check my assumption that I could add a directory on the boot drive-- and found to my surprise the same [mis]behavior there.

So its not the external drive that's the problem, its that somethings gone wrong with how DS sees folders on my system

Then I would advice checking the foldernames carefully..
    edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    So, I've been waiting to update to 4.7
    Thoughts on it, how's it playing on the mac?

4.7 is the best DS release ever.

edited December 1969

Crocodillian: If you start up Daz3d, and it expects there to be an external drive, and it's not, it will create an entry in your Volumes directory. This will stay and make the computer assign a different name to the external when you plug it in.

for example: my external is named "Poserdrive". If it's not plugged in, and I start Daz3D, an entry in Volumes will be created for it. Then when I plug in the actual drive, it will be named "Poserdrive 2"

Do this to check.
    Quit Daz3d
    Unmount/unplug your external.

Open terminal
    type cd ../../volumes
    type ls

If you still see your drive listed there, that's the problem.
    type rm drivename If that doesn't work, try rmdir drivename (can't recall which is needed).

Then plug in your drive, restart Daz. You might need to do the rebuild your database thing.

-----------------------------------

Totte: How is it for responsiveness? I have the 4core i7 imac with 16 gigs and often like I'll click on the camera pulldown, then wait and wait and wait for the menu to appear....

Is the camera move control-doesn't stop when you release the mouse problem fixed?

Anything broken from the update that previously worked?

(I was waiting til I finished some xmas renders I was doing to update).

edited December 2014

Scavanger: The camera popup has always lagged when the sceen is loaded (just imaging when I was changing camera with my 132 paratroopers in a scene, or the Winter Terrain from AM ;-) I use Groups, hide everything I'm now interested in, then change camera, before Groups it was a pain.

And the drive problem, yes, forgot that ;-)
    Sometimes you need to reboot. The real problems is when you have the drive connected, it fails and comes back.

I have a remotely mounted driver called DAZBackup. If that goes offline and comes back, I will have two entries in /Volumes, DAZBackup and DAZBackup_1, DAZBackup is "empty". But from finder you see DAZBackup which really is DAZBackup_1.

So good point, cookie for you!

Post edited by Totte on
    edited January 2015

Does any mac user use the render to RIB option to use in 3Delight Standalone?

I am having issues that I need to have the scene i'm rendering from the RIB file open in Daz Studio in order for it to work, despite having the collect option selected in the Render options.

I get a stream of the following errors:

3DL ERROR T2040: '/Users/Scav/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/d329_Fire_Seamless_tile_by_suicidecrewOP.tdl' not found (in shader 'dzdisplace' on object
     'shapematerial_defaultMat_6616_19c6')
    3DL ERROR T2373: cannot read 3D texture file '/Users/Scav/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/d329_Fire_Seamless_tile_by_suicidecrewOP.tdl'
     (No such file or directory) (in shader 'dzdisplace' on object 'shapematerial_defaultMat_6616_19c6')

If i understand, the collect option is supposed to put those in a "Collected" folder in the RIB folder and use those.
    (In fact looking in the "Collected" folder of the test I ran to get the above error message, I see the file(s) it can't find in the /temp/ directory.. see screen shot.)

I'm using DS 4.7. i'm wondering if there's a problem in the RIB file creation on the Mac Version.

EDIT: In fact, looking at the .RIB file in Text Wrangler, there's no mention of the "Collected" folder in it, so I think that's where the problem is....the .RIB creation.

Screenshot_2015-01-22_20.12_.45_.png
    385 x 81 - 17K
    Post edited by fixmypcmike on
    edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    Does any mac user use the render to RIB option to use in 3Delight Standalone?

I am having issues that I need to have the scene i'm rendering from the RIB file open in Daz Studio in order for it to work, despite having the collect option selected in the Render options.

I get a stream of the following errors:

3DL ERROR T2040: '/Users/Scav/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/d329_Fire_Seamless_tile_by_suicidecrewOP.tdl' not found (in shader 'dzdisplace' on object
     'shapematerial_defaultMat_6616_19c6')
    3DL ERROR T2373: cannot read 3D texture file '/Users/Scav/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/d329_Fire_Seamless_tile_by_suicidecrewOP.tdl'
     (No such file or directory) (in shader 'dzdisplace' on object 'shapematerial_defaultMat_6616_19c6')

If i understand, the collect option is supposed to put those in a "Collected" folder in the RIB folder and use those.
    (In fact looking in the "Collected" folder of the test I ran to get the above error message, I see the file(s) it can't find in the /temp/ directory.. see screen shot.)

I'm using DS 4.7. i'm wondering if there's a problem in the RIB file creation on the Mac Version.

EDIT: In fact, looking at the .RIB file in Text Wrangler, there's no mention of the "Collected" folder in it, so I think that's where the problem is....the .RIB creation.

Looking at the paths it do look OK, as ribs usually refers to the DS temp folder. I haven't tried it in a while but I will take a look and see if there is something to bug-report.

edited December 1969

I'm now thinking this is a Daz problem in general...i remembered I had Daz installed on a windows image in Parallels so did a test there, with the same problem.

I've seen other folks mention the problem on the forum dating back a year or so.

Neither .RIB has a reference to the "collected" folder that Daz creates with all the files in it.

I found if using text wrangle to fix the path from the tmp folder to the colelcted folder it ...works better, but not right yet still..

I have more details and code issues, but haven't figured where would be the best place to post.

(Obviously the .rib posting to a temp folder is pointless, since the idea is to make the file portable, and to seperate it from the Daz Studio...but the temp folder goes away when the program quits).

edited December 1969

Yea, checked the ribs, the paths points to the studio temp. I've pushed the question to those who will have an answer, I'll be back!

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Yea, checked the ribs, the paths points to the studio temp. I've pushed the question to those who will have an answer, I'll be back!

Thanks for checking!

I learned in this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/752206/ that inside the _collected folder is another .rib file, and THAT one should be pointing at the stuff in the folder.

However, in my collected folder, the .rib file is a 0kb file with nothing written in it.

I can't load up parallels right not to check how it looks on that side of the divide, but THIS might be where the problem is.

edited December 1969

Any word on the rib problem?

• AuggieSaysAuggieSays Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

i have had daz studio 4.7 since october and ever since i upgraded from 4.6 no longer have the face expression dials,with the "face" category being blanked out except for dials controlling the jaws. i have did a clean uninstall and reinstall about 7 times now and i still have no more expression dials despite saving all the content it had before.

also i can not bake any maps as i keep getting errors saying the .bake files cannot load.

i do not know why but my version of 4.7 is incredibly buggy and i dont know why that is. has anyone got the same problems i have?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

That sounds as if either the content has gone missing or the folders are not set up correctly - do you still see the usual entries under Poser Formats and DAZ Studio Formats in the Content Library pane?

• AuggieSaysAuggieSays Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

yes i do. everything is default and i leave all the content uploading to the install manager. it's why i try to do squeaky clean uninstalls so install manager places everythign back in the proper places. i also figured the expression dials were a built in default like the genisys starter kit.

does the bad folder managment resonsable for the bad texture baking too? becaus ei try to set up an original folder for the bak path.

edited December 1969

Scavenger said:

Information is that is has been fixed for the next public release. Don't take my word for it, it's just what I've heard for a reliable source ;-)
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Scavenger said:

Information is that is has been fixed for the next public release. Don't take my word for it, it's just what I've heard for a reliable source ;-)

I don't suppose you have rumors on next public release? I really would like be up to queue up big renders :(

edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    Totte said:
    Scavenger said:

I don't suppose you have rumors on next public release? I really would like be up to queue up big renders :(

Sorry, no.

edited December 1969

So...we got a new beta release....one question, would be...do RIBs work yet? :)

Another is, does the new awesome rendering thing I've heard about work on the Mac?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Scavenger said:

Another is, does the new awesome rendering thing I've heard about work on the Mac?

I don't know about RIBs, but Totte's been posting a lot of Iray renders done on Macs.

edited December 1969

Scavenger said:

Render to rib should be fixed, I can check if it is.
    It works on a Mac but you need a nVidia Graphics card. You need to downoad nVidia WebDriver (latest) and Cuda for OS X (I forgot if it is included or not, I had it installed already for other things).

With Cuda it works with CPU mode if you don't have an nVidia card, and you need at least 4GB RAM for it to be usable. I found that the best bang for the buck was the GTX-780 6GB by ASUS work but you don't get a boot screen (as PC cards do not have the EFI boot strings in them).

edited December 1969

Yeah..my iMac has the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX with 2048mb vram
    Not sounding like I'll get benefit from CPU (or work at all) due to the VRAM, but I' figure I'll check things out.

I've been reading the beta release thread, and the Cuda Getting Started for mac guide.
    http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/6_5/rel/docs/CUDA_Getting_Started_Mac.pdf
    I have Xcode installing now.
    I've seen conflicting info on if I already have the CUDA drivers installed (I'm using Mavericks)..so I'll likely just install the newest anyhow..

Totte: what are you using with multiple cards? A Mac Pro?

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    Not sounding like I'll get benefit from CPU (or work at all) due to the VRAM, but I' figure I'll check things out.

Sounds like the same machine I was thinking of using it on. Let us know how it works out.
    -- Walt Sterdan
    edited December 1969

Scavenger said:

I've been reading the beta release thread, and the Cuda Getting Started for mac guide.
    http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/6_5/rel/docs/CUDA_Getting_Started_Mac.pdf
    I have Xcode installing now.
    I've seen conflicting info on if I already have the CUDA drivers installed (I'm using Mavericks)..so I'll likely just install the newest anyhow..

Totte: what are you using with multiple cards? A Mac Pro?

RIB Bug should be fixed.
    And you chould have a nVidia Cuda Setting (or download laters Cuda from nVidia).
    With a GTX680 2GN VRAM monir things would use the GPU, but you can see in the DS logfile, but 2GB is close to dangerously low for IRay and Cuda, I would uncheck GPU in the advanced render settings.