Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@David - that grass looks amazing.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

I totally agree with Horo on that, You say you id it in the DTE, but you have the apperance of real 3d geometry as well. How id you do that.
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Wonderful renders all, and amazed at the works submitted! As this ‘Brycer’ (really?) is more into the Bryce animation-side-of-things, uploading regular works is thus that bit slower. However, as the current ani’ piece is taking longer to finish, it’s as well to submit a frame from it - just to stay in Rashad’s ‘Show us your Bryce renders!’ loop.
    Title: “Contact Man”

Jay

contact-man.jpg
    663 x 867 - 145K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Horo said:

I totally agree with Horo on that, You say you id it in the DTE, but you have the apperance of real 3d geometry as well. How id you do that.

Well, if I can simplify the process I will make a tutorial. Here is another experiment using a different approach.

Grass_mix_volmat1.jpg
    750 x 487 - 245K
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    It's frustrating though in that at times when the renders are particularly long, I sometimes have free time to be working more creatively in Bryce but can't because of it being busy rendering.

If your computer sports a multi-core multi-threadable processor, I recommend to use normal priority. On a non-hyperthreaded processor, high priority takes all available cores, normal priority half of them and low just one. If the processor can hyper-thread, it adds the same amount of virtual cores as it has real cores in high priority. The virtual cores increases render speed by 10 to 20%, average 15%. If you go for normal priority, Bryce takes all available real cores to render and is around 15% slower. You have 4 virtual cores to work on another scene and this is sufficient if there are not too many objects and you only render a short moment to see how things look. You can run as many Bryce instances as the memory of your computer permits.

Well I have a dual core AMD I'm not sure about the multi-threadable part though. I'm pretty sure I do have the priority at normal. As for virtual cores I'm not sure how that works. I've hear people talk about it but never looked into actually doing it myself. From what I'm gathering though I don't think it'll do me much good. I could be wrong though.

edited December 1969

Open the task manager, performance. If you get 2 curves, there is no HT - or not enabled. If the processor can HT, you have to switch it on in the BIOS.

edited December 1969

@David - the second grass reminds me of the ones you've came up with in the Bryce 5.5 or 6 days. I think the name was crop, but I'm not sure anymore. I used it 7 years ago on this render: http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=1557

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

some grass

some_grass.jpg
    800 x 436 - 246K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Open the task manager, performance. If you get 2 curves, there is no HT - or not enabled. If the processor can HT, you have to switch it on in the BIOS.

Okay thanks I'll check into it a little later. Right now I got a couple more BCF renders these were centered around a product called Steam Flying Machine. the first one is just with normal settings the second one is with TA enabled.

Steam_Flying_Machine_TA.jpg
    800 x 446 - 108K
    Steam_Flying_Machine.jpg
    800 x 446 - 108K
    edited December 1969

Looking good. Wasn't TA a bit time expensive? Here, an HDRI would also have worked. But I do prefer the second one.

edited August 2012

Horo said:
    @David - the second grass reminds me of the ones you've came up with in the Bryce 5.5 or 6 days. I think the name was crop, but I'm not sure anymore. I used it 7 years ago on this render: http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=1557

Clever Horo, no pulling the wool over your eyes I can see. OK here's a little something I've been experimenting with... still trying to get that nice cel-shade outline effect I've been after for a while. Onc for your filters collection perhaps? As it is applied with a lens filter.

Outline_test_1.jpg
    386 x 375 - 127K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Beautiful. Filter sounds easier than the previous solution.

edited December 1969

Here's another, 100% Bryce, no post work other than to convert the image to jpg. (Scene taken from our DVD and worked over.)

01-01_A_canyon_somewhere1_filtered.jpg
    750 x 750 - 535K
    edited December 1969

And another in another style.

01-01_A_canyon_somewhere1_filtered2.jpg
    750 x 750 - 611K
    edited December 1969

First is strange - could be used for neon outlined text. Second is fantastic.

edited August 2012

Horo said:
    Looking good. Wasn't TA a bit time expensive? Here, an HDRI would also have worked. But I do prefer the second one.

It was, I tried to do an HDRI but every time I applied one of the ones installed it removed the skies and if I put the sky back it removed the HDRI. I know there is a way to make an HDRI from the scene one is using but I don't really know the process and I didn't have time to seek out a tutorial and learn it. But yeah TA ended up taking over 24 hours.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

When you click on Use HDRI, the preview shows that sun, haze and clouds are switched off. The moment you click on Use Sky, the atmosphere and clouds come back on. It's just the sun that stays disabled and that is quickly remedied.

edited August 2012

Okay here's the next render I have. This is a BCF scene using one of the Black Rose Collection models called Cloister. The well renders with an egg shape of energy above it to which I added the Faerie Dragon. The first one is with normal lighting the second with TA

Cloister_TA.jpg
    800 x 446 - 192K
    Cloister.jpg
    800 x 446 - 167K
    edited August 2012

Horo said:
    When you click on Use HDRI, the preview shows that sun, haze and clouds are switched off. The moment you click on Use Sky, the atmosphere and clouds come back on. It's just the sun that stays disabled and that is quickly remedied.

Silly me, that's so simple, I should have discovered that just playing around, thanks I'll give that scene a try later with HDRI right now the system is busy rendering another scene. Thanks Horo

edited December 1969

Mark, there is no denying your ambition with all these renders, but it looks like the inherent lighting setup that they provide is not instantly compatible with TA. In the first render there is something fishy going on with the lighting, it looks like a lack of shadow casting. Also, you need to check to make sure you have no unintended ambient in your scene. These are all things that conspire to either interfere with TA or worse still, in the case of the lighting, cause it to render even slower than normal. The best course of action that I can recommend for TA, is to get your scene and strip out light sources, turning off global ambient and generally getting rid of light until you can render a fully black scene. Crank global shadow intensity up to 100%. Then, add in your primary light source and try a bit of global ambient and work up from there. The less lights you add the better, the more you can get away with TA optimised light (either IBL or normal lights) also good and very careful use of ambient response from your materials. And if that seems like a lot to digest, I apologise, but it just wouldn't condense down any further.

edited August 2012

Mark, there is no denying your ambition with all these renders, but it looks like the inherent lighting setup that they provide is not instantly compatible with TA. In the first render there is something fishy going on with the lighting, it looks like a lack of shadow casting. Also, you need to check to make sure you have no unintended ambient in your scene. These are all things that conspire to either interfere with TA or worse still, in the case of the lighting, cause it to render even slower than normal. The best course of action that I can recommend for TA, is to get your scene and strip out light sources, turning off global ambient and generally getting rid of light until you can render a fully black scene. Crank global shadow intensity up to 100%. Then, add in your primary light source and try a bit of global ambient and work up from there. The less lights you add the better, the more you can get away with TA optimised light (either IBL or normal lights) also good and very careful use of ambient response from your materials. And if that seems like a lot to digest, I apologise, but it just wouldn't condense down any further.

Well many of the BFC scenes were created back in the Bryce 5 - 5.5 days the rest were done in the days of Bryce 6. Which scene are you talking about with something fishy going on, the one with the steam flying machine or the cloister one? By the way in each of these scenes I've posted the first one is the scene as it came and no premium effects because premium effects didn't exist when it was created. OR if they did exist they weren't widely known. Also what exactly is fishy? I ask because in the steam flying machine one I felt as if I kept getting a wierd error in rendering the clouds, then I realized it was the shadow of the moving propeller blades projected onto the clouds.

edited December 1969

Image 1 - here it looks to me like the global shadow intensity has been set down or there is a lot of sky dome colour or both and maybe also global ambient. Without seeing the sky settings it is not easy to say which, but all of these were used in the past to make up for a lack of indirect light.

Image 2 - this is the fishy bit I meant. Here we see light on ledges which should not be lit and are missing shadows where there should be shadows. Shadow casting is absent.

Image 3 - I've coloured global ambient in green and sky dome in red.

Image 4 - And arrow shows the global shadow intensity control - make sure this is at 100%

Image4.jpg
    533 x 222 - 136K
    Image3.jpg
    706 x 210 - 143K
    Image2.jpg
    147 x 136 - 25K
    Image1.jpg
    128 x 109 - 13K
    edited December 1969

Okay David, on the first image in question, the Steam Flying Machine when I checked the global shadow settings it was at 62 so I turned it up to 100 like you said but it made the shadows too dark in my opinion. But here's the result so judge for yourself. As for the settings I've included screen shots so you can see. I left out the IBL screen because nothing appear set there and posts are limited to 5 attachments.

skylab3.jpg
    644 x 551 - 114K
    skylab2.jpg
    644 x 549 - 128K
    skylab1.jpg
    673 x 541 - 122K
    sky_settings.jpg
    718 x 317 - 50K
    steam_flying_machine_2.jpg
    1514 x 845 - 95K
    edited December 1969

And with regards to the second picture in question, "The Cloister". I checked the global shadow settings and it was very low (down to 1) so I turned it u to 100 and got the first picture. Which I didn't really care for compared to the original. So I tweak the settings a bit such as turning shadow intensity down to 60 and reducing the fog and haze settings a bit and got the second picture. Which I like a little better but I feel like I need to change some other settings to be happy.

I'm also posting a screen shot of the unrendered scene with the sky & Fog settings visible, I figure the wireframe type view will give you a better sense of how the scene was done. I'm also adding a composite image of the Skylad sceens.

Cloister_Skylab.jpg
    800 x 800 - 253K
    The_Cloister_wireframe.jpg
    800 x 481 - 171K
    The_Cloister3.jpg
    800 x 446 - 143K
    The_Cloister2.jpg
    1514 x 845 - 136K
    edited August 2012

Because these scenes have been optimised for earlier versions of Bryce whoever set them up has been very diligent in getting the most out of the old render engine. This in turn makes converting them to more advanced render settings a bit of an adventure. It seems, that either lights that do not cast shadows - or cast only weak shadows - or materials that have had their shadow casting turned off have been employed. There however could be good reasons why some materials don't cast shadows - like they are hiding a light source - for example. There are quite a few combinations to cover here. So what I'm going to do - am doing - is making a video that covers converting a highly optimised (but simple) scene - where lots of cheating/optimisation has been used to make it render quickly on an old version of Bryce. And going through the steps necessary to upgrade the lighting to TA and after that how to convert TA to optimised IBL. 20 minutes.

Bryce 20 minute lighting project - upgrading lighting - a tutorial by David Brinnen

I had to re upload it - it should work now.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I did something stupid today. Having found out that the title for memebers who reach 4 green boxes (or 2501 posts) is Addict, I decided to reflect it in my banner, as we who have other titles don't get them changed.

So I took a strip out from one of my renders and turned it into a banner.

edited August 2012

Because these scenes have been optimised for earlier versions of Bryce whoever set them up has been very diligent in getting the most out of the old render engine. This in turn makes converting them to more advanced render settings a bit of an adventure. It seems, that either lights that do not cast shadows - or cast only weak shadows - or materials that have had their shadow casting turned off have been employed. There however could be good reasons why some materials don't cast shadows - like they are hiding a light source - for example. There are quite a few combinations to cover here. So what I'm going to do - am doing - is making a video that covers converting a highly optimised (but simple) scene - where lots of cheating/optimisation has been used to make it render quickly on an old version of Bryce. And going through the steps necessary to upgrade the lighting to TA and after that how to convert TA to optimised IBL. 20 minutes.

Bryce 20 minute lighting project - upgrading lighting - a tutorial by David Brinnen

I had to re upload it - it should work now.

Well for what it's worth some of these scenes just don't render quickly and I'm guessing it's because in some instances anyway things had to be done differently. Like the Flying Steam Machine which is shown below in wireframe view. The clouds in the immediate background were done as you can see using lots of spheres each with a volume cloud texture applied. I tried to do an HDRI version of the pic once Horo told me how to do it using the same sky and it was going to take 4 days to render. Needless to say I decided to cancel that one. It's too bad the person who did these BCF scenes appears to either be no longer with Daz and/or active in this forum, then we could ask how things were done. Since he is not however I'm greatful for that video.

Steam_Flying_Machine_wireframe.jpg
    800 x 500 - 265K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I did something stupid today. Having found out that the title for memebers who reach 4 green boxes (or 2501 posts) is Addict, I decided to reflect it in my banner, as we who have other titles don't get them changed.

Okay so what's the stupid part? *scratches head puzzledly*

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Okay so what's the stupid part? *scratches head puzzledly*

Thank you Mark! It is not just me then... What are we missing?

edited December 1969
    grass_wip2.jpg
    750 x 422 - 444K
This discussion has been closed.