Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I did something stupid today. Having found out that the title for memebers who reach 4 green boxes (or 2501 posts) is Addict, I decided to reflect it in my banner, as we who have other titles don't get them changed.

So I took a strip out from one of my renders and turned it into a banner.

Okay so what's the stupid part? *scratches head puzzledly*

Thank you Mark! It is not just me then... What are we missing?

Well I thought it was stupid to be using the term Bryce Addict just becuse I had made more than 2500 posts. I have always reffered to myself as a Bryceaholic, normally.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited August 2012

I'm not quite sure why but I find the notion of using Bryce in certain ways as being "hardcore", very amusing for some reason, in a good way. :)
    Certainly one can argue the term is appriopriate though when you get the kind of results you do. How difficult, if it's even possible, would it be to animate a breeze blowing that tall grass around a bit? I mean results like this are quite stunning and well beyond alot of things out there that people are exposed to as typical Bryce scenes. Of course that's because alot of what's out there is pretty old too and some of the things possible today couldn't be done back then, but still. I think work like this actually elevates Bryce's status in the 3D art world.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited August 2012

chohole said:
    chohole said:
    I did something stupid today. Having found out that the title for memebers who reach 4 green boxes (or 2501 posts) is Addict, I decided to reflect it in my banner, as we who have other titles don't get them changed.

So I took a strip out from one of my renders and turned it into a banner.

Okay so what's the stupid part? *scratches head puzzledly*

Thank you Mark! It is not just me then... What are we missing?

Well I thought it was stupid to be using the term Bryce Addict just becuse I had made more than 2500 posts. I have always reffered to myself as a Bryceaholic, normally.

Post count? *snicker* Your old post count was 4 times that :) But yes clearly in your signiture it says Bryceaholic but that's not really being stupid, afterall addiction is addiction no matter what form it comes in. Actually maybe we can take the opportunity to establish levels, maybe Bryceaholic can be the title for those with 10,000 or more posts? Of course Bryce addict would be 2500 and 5000 could be..... I don't know Bryce Junkie? :) Everything else below could be Bryce peasent and "you know who", is allowed to torment you until you get to Bryce Addict and a feature allowing you to ignore "you know who", becomes active. That would probably really boost forum activity for a while....at least until everyone got to 2500 posts. :)

edited December 1969

Okay well I'm currently working on some adjustments to one of the previous scenes per David's 20 minute tutorial on updating old Bryce scenes. In the meantime though I got some from yet another scene I did last night. Based on a Daz prop for poser called The Core. The only alteration I've made beyond the completed scene when you follow the instruction for seting it up, is that I added the bryce object WS Disk Ship. The first scene is lighting out of the box, second is a TA version and third is an HDRI version. There doesn't seem to be much variation between any of them though, just subtle differences that most probably wouldn't even notice.

The_Core_HDRI.jpg
    800 x 446 - 67K
    The_Core_TA.jpg
    800 x 446 - 66K
    The_Core.jpg
    800 x 446 - 67K
    edited December 1969

I actually don't really take much notice of my psot count, but it seems other people do, because for some strange reason I actually have the highest post count in the new forums.

This does rahter surprise me, because my old post count took me 9 years to accumulate, and Richard H, who joined sane time as me had gone over 50,00 posts in the same period. Now I am beating him by a fair few.

edited August 2012

chohole said:
    I actually don't really take much notice of my psot count, but it seems other people do, because for some strange reason I actually have the highest post count in the new forums.

This does rahter surprise me, because my old post count took me 9 years to accumulate, and Richard H, who joined sane time as me had gone over 50,00 posts in the same period. Now I am beating him by a fair few.

I'd say that's likely an anomaly caused from the store/forum transition and you now being a well established Daz spokesperson as compared to the past. This has allowed Richard in essence to sit back more and pick and choose what he responds to whilst you and others bear the brunt of the onslaught. :)

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Well Mark your space renders are a good example of the nature of space lighting. Space scenes are often characterised by one dominant light source, and due to the lack of atmosphere and a large ground surface to bounce light off, there will be almost no ambient light to speak of and no other light sources to pick out of the sky. So while the variation is not dramatic it does demonstrate that the original scene was not only correctly lit but also optimally lit. So, yes, a good example, if not a dramatic one in terms of showing much difference between the various approaches that could be taken.

edited December 1969

Okay based on David's 20 Minute Tutorial I did manage to find some ways to improve that second scene (The Cloister). The first one is after making the changes suggested in David's video (where applicable) and done with HDRI. The second image is the same scene after adjustments but done with TA. Again I'm not seeing much varience between the two. The third one is the original for reference since it's a page or two back.

Cloister.jpg
    800 x 446 - 167K
    The_Cloister_TA.jpg
    800 x 446 - 141K
    The_Cloister_HDRI.jpg
    800 x 446 - 154K
    edited December 1969

Without looking at the source I can't tell you why, but if you look you can see that the shadows are missing from all three examples. Until you can find a way to restore shadow casting you are going to struggle to make any progress. Unfortunately I do not own this set and I cannot persuade DS to talk to Bryce at present - which is somewhat limiting. All I can think of to suggest is to investigate the light sources and the materials - or even the render options (although it would be odd to turn off shadows there) - to find out where your shadows have been disabled.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited December 1969

David, I love all your tutorials, those you are posting here and those found at Bryce.info; for now I am watching them over and over again, not doing the actually tutorials, just trying to understand what you are doing. You make everything seem so easy, going back and forth between the different views and the labs. There are awesome tutorials on this site – Bryce.info. Thanks to everyone responsible for that great site.

I did this abstract using the tutorial posted by Kerya -thanks for posting the link.

http://c0nceptualize-3d.deviantart.com/art/Bryce-Symmetrical-Abstracts-12361909

This is the longest render I had - 3 ½ hrs - I chose the Super Render option suggested in the tutorial

abstract.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 202K
  • SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

David, I love all your tutorials, those you are posting here and those found at Bryce.info; for now I am watching them over and over again, not doing the actually tutorials, just trying to understand what you are doing. You make everything seem so easy, going back and forth between the different views and the labs. There are awesome tutorials on this site – Bryce.info. Thanks to everyone responsible for that great site.

I did this abstract using the tutorial posted by Kerya -thanks for posting the link.

http://c0nceptualize-3d.deviantart.com/art/Bryce-Symmetrical-Abstracts-12361909

This is the longest render I had - 3 ½ hrs - I chose the Super Render option suggested in the tutorial

Superb what a gorgeous abstract mermaid010

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Without looking at the source I can't tell you why, but if you look you can see that the shadows are missing from all three examples. Until you can find a way to restore shadow casting you are going to struggle to make any progress.

It looks to me like there is a thin layer of fog covering the floor... could that be preventing the shadows?
    If it's set to not receive or give shadows and it's ambient is set high?

Just a thought.

edited December 1969

Mermaid010, I'm pleased you are enjoying the tutorials, the abstract looks excellent - particularly that metalic material you have used for the hoops. The website is the work of just one person, Chris Drew, I will pass on your regards.

Dave, generally you can't prevent shadows with fog or haze, your other points are valid but since those are covered in the tutorial I made so I would suggest we are looking for something else. Like, for example, the shadows being disabled in the Render Options. This is a pretty obscure thing to do, but it is possible.

If shadows were not ticked for example, then no shadows would be calculated by the renderer. This however would not influence an entirely TA render, but only direct lighting.

Image1.jpg
    731 x 420 - 261K
    edited August 2012

I re downloaded the cloister, and this time did download the BCF for it.

No shadows because the sky being used does not have any shadows enabled.

THere is some fog in the screen as well but only a tad

now I know why I have never bothered with the BCF files.

cloister_skylab_screenie_1.png
    629 x 469 - 347K
    cloister_skylab_screenie_2.png
    631 x 471 - 358K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Pam! OK there's the answer. See the white arrow? That control needs setting at 100.

Image2.jpg
    626 x 595 - 306K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I re downloaded the cloister, and this time did download the BCF for it.

No shadows because the sky being used does not have any shadows enabled.

THere is some fog in the screen as well but only a tad

now I know why I have never bothered with the BCF files.

I would not be too harsh on the BCF author, they will have been used to dealing with DS rather than Bryce I imagine, which in turn means they wouldn't really grasp the implications of their choices as far as Bryce's render engine is concerned. This choice allows for a fast render but relies rather heavily on the texturing of the imported objects, rather than the lighting capabilities of the render engine. An understandable choice for a DS user I would suggest, where many of the models I've seen have lighting information embedded within the textures through one form or another of texture baking.

edited August 2012

Possibly why I looked at one of the BCFs and immediately decided they were a waste of space on my PC, as it has never let DS darken it's doorstep., so to speak. It's quite a joke in the mod room that I "represent" Daz3D and yet refuse to use DS. I did consent to "buy" first the free version some time back, and then DS4pro when the 100% discount offer came out, but I am kind and let Daz store them in my itemised order history for me, until a time arrives when (if ever) I decided to give it a whirl. :coolsmirk:

I prep in poser, the old fashioned way, but have on accasion upset some diehard poser users because I refer to it as a plug in for Bryce. :coolgrin:

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Possibly why I looked at one of the BCFs and immediately decided they were a waste of space on my PC, as it has never let DS darken it's doorstep., so to speak. It's quite a joke in the mod room that I "represent" Daz3D and yet refuse to use DS. I did consent to "buy" first the free version some time back, and then DS4pro when the 100% discount offer came out, but I am kind and let Daz store them in my itemised order history for me, until a time arrives when (if ever) I decided to give it a whirl. :coolsmirk:

I prep in poser, the old fashioned way, but have on accasion upset some diehard poser users because I refer to it as a plug in for Bryce. :coolgrin:

DS has darkened by HD, but every time I try to do anything with it I just break it. It's good for posing figures. It's good for importing when it deigns to work. But mostly it's not much use for me.

edited December 1969

Dave, generally you can't prevent shadows with fog or haze,

I was wondering if a volumetric block had been used for the layer of mist just above the floor as opposed to using the fog/haze atmosphere settings, but I see the problem has now been resolved and I was wrong anyway (that's only twice this week I've been wrong, not a bad week over all) :)
    edited December 1969

Dave, generally you can't prevent shadows with fog or haze,

I was wondering if a volumetric block had been used for the layer of mist just above the floor as opposed to using the fog/haze atmosphere settings, but I see the problem has now been resolved and I was wrong anyway (that's only twice this week I've been wrong, not a bad week over all) :)

I think that very much depends on what the other thing you were wrong about was... for example, I was only wrong once on the week I drove into the side of a red Citroen, but it turned out to be a critical error on my part. I thought no one would be stupid enough to pull out in front of a motorcycle at a cross roads where I had right of way, my headlights on, a loud exhaust and brightly coloured fibreglass lid - and yet... I was wrong. Painfully, breathtakingly wrong.

edited December 1969

I'm only ever wrong on the internet... in real life, I'm never wrong, ask anyone who knows me. :coolsmile:

Talking of motorbikes, I'm at this very moment in time getting around to doing the custom paint job on mine.

OK not a Bryce mock up but done in Photoshop sorry for the derail. :)

Kawasaki_EN_500_Menace2.jpg
    860 x 605 - 121K
    edited August 2012

Nice one Dave

David, going back to DS4. I seem to remember Daz_Spooky or Rob or someone mentioning that the latest build of DS4.5 does solve most of the previous DS--Bryce export problems using the bridge.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Nice one Dave

David, going back to DS4. I seem to remember Daz_Spooky or Rob or someone mentioning that the latest build of DS4.5 does solve most of the previous DS--Bryce export problems using the bridge.

"Solve" or get it back to working as badly as it did before it was broken entirely?

OK, thanks for the tip, I will see if I can get hold of a DS DL.

I'm not holding out much hope though.

edited December 1969

I'm only ever wrong on the internet... in real life, I'm never wrong, ask anyone who knows me. :coolsmile:

Talking of motorbikes, I'm at this very moment in time getting around to doing the custom paint job on mine.

OK not a Bryce mock up but done in Photoshop sorry for the derail. :)

Nice Dave! And this is a real bike we are talking about here, not just a model?

edited December 1969

Nice Dave! And this is a real bike we are talking about here, not just a model?

Yes, I bought the bike nearly two years ago and have had it in a series of planned customisation works so I can keep it on the road as much as possible. At the beginning of this week I finally found someone who was stripping one down for parts so I bought a load of bits that I can work on without having to pull them off mine, including a petrol tank and the rear mudguard so I decided to start the paint job.

Petrol tank is half finished now (it needs the Dennis the Menace cartoon putting on and then a few coats of lacquer and the rear mudguard has been filled, rubbed down and given it's first coat of gloss black this afternoon.

Petrol-Tank-T-Cut.jpg
    700 x 418 - 101K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

Wow. Fantastic tutorial. I imagine that to get grass to cover the entire area one would duplicate the original terrain to create a second terrain that was identical. In this case one need only to place the grass terrain on top of the original. Add in the noise, and the other tricks, and render away with grass that follows the original terrain perfectly.

If ONLY Blend Transparency were not such a slow render function. You only used one point light source and yet it was already too much time to render. Imagine a scene with thousand of point lights as IBL or light dome or even TA for that matter.

Still you have done excellent work once again, David!!

edited August 2012

Impressive paint job Dave!

Thank you Rashad, yes it's a render hog and no mistake, depending where the light comes from it can be particularly slow. Oddly enough, IBL didn't push the render time up significantly when I tested it. Possibly because it casts no shadows? (you need to make sure the IBL does't cast shadows in this material - or receive any from IBL light - a faff around with settings) The blend transparency effect has to only be "paid for" once (if the material does not cast shadows). Unlike normal transparency, the cost of which increases with each light source due to handling refraction. So it might be worth further experimentation....

Oh new tutorial...

Bryce light gel underwater effect - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

using_a_light_gel.jpg
    750 x 422 - 453K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Without looking at the source I can't tell you why, but if you look you can see that the shadows are missing from all three examples. Until you can find a way to restore shadow casting you are going to struggle to make any progress. Unfortunately I do not own this set and I cannot persuade DS to talk to Bryce at present - which is somewhat limiting. All I can think of to suggest is to investigate the light sources and the materials - or even the render options (although it would be odd to turn off shadows there) - to find out where your shadows have been disabled.

Well this much I can tell you, since Bryce is currently preoccudied rendering a different scene. The eg shaped nebula effect has a radial light in the middle of it. I can't remember if it was me turning it off but I think it way, when I turned off casts shadows in the material settings for the nebula, the light inside the well stopped showing up in the render. The way the Cloister imported in I'd really need to go thru piece by piece to try to find the problem and there are lots of pieces. So I'm not particularly anxious to tackle it right now.

edited December 1969

Without looking at the source I can't tell you why, but if you look you can see that the shadows are missing from all three examples. Until you can find a way to restore shadow casting you are going to struggle to make any progress.

It looks to me like there is a thin layer of fog covering the floor... could that be preventing the shadows?
    If it's set to not receive or give shadows and it's ambient is set high?

Just a thought.

Good thought, it did feel as if the fog was playing a roll because that's where the blue tinting is from and that blueish tint was all over the things not casting shadows. I'll check into that when I check on everything else.

edited December 1969

Mermaid010, I'm pleased you are enjoying the tutorials, the abstract looks excellent - particularly that metalic material you have used for the hoops. The website is the work of just one person, Chris Drew, I will pass on your regards.

Dave, generally you can't prevent shadows with fog or haze, your other points are valid but since those are covered in the tutorial I made so I would suggest we are looking for something else. Like, for example, the shadows being disabled in the Render Options. This is a pretty obscure thing to do, but it is possible.

If shadows were not ticked for example, then no shadows would be calculated by the renderer. This however would not influence an entirely TA render, but only direct lighting.

That I can tell you for sure is checked because at one point I was wondering if I should uncheck it to see what happened but then decided not to since that wasn't suggested in the tutorial.

This discussion has been closed.