Daz Studio 4.20[.0.x] Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

mikethe3dguy said:

Since upgrading, the render progress window no longer reports whether it's using the GPU or falling back to CPU.y

Yes I'd like to see the previous stats reinstated, it also provided useful info on memory usage that we can't see anymore. 

• EndiEndi Posts: 35

lutherdan_f779727b4f said:

Open 4.20 and you see the screen in the factory layout. Adjust the layout, move the view port screen, adjust everything to your liking. After use, close the App. Next load it will be on the default screen with all your changes gone. Is there any location to stop that behavior? After looking in Prefrences I am not able to find one. 

Me too

• Endi said:

lutherdan_f779727b4f said:

Open 4.20 and you see the screen in the factory layout. Adjust the layout, move the view port screen, adjust everything to your liking. After use, close the App. Next load it will be on the default screen with all your changes gone. Is there any location to stop that behavior? After looking in Prefrences I am not able to find one. 

Me too

It has been fixed in the Public Beta.

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 740

johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

Out of curiosity, did you perhaps try to change the shader for the outer cube surface? Does switching to Weighted or PBR Specular / Glossiness from PBR Metalicity / Roughness change the outcome?

I tried to find the "Architectural" shader, but couldn't - I can see it in the DAZ Studio program directory but it doesn't appear in the content library or smart content any more.  I did play around with the Uber settings but I don't think I tried other shaders such as PBR Skin.  I did try switching some, possibly all, of the things you list.  It's pretty trivial to repro the problem to test different things; if the problem isn't there the render converges almost instantly (to all black), but I couldn't find a way of blocking enough light from Ruins (which is pretty much EV13) to get an EV0 render to converge.

• Why was DAZ Studio 4.20.0.2 re-released this morning in a smaller .ZIP file?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    edited March 2022

Colin said:

Why was DAZ Studio 4.20.0.2 re-released this morning in a smaller .ZIP file?

It might be a glitch, hold on with the download.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • Already downloaded and installed. Now what?

• Colin said:

Already downloaded and installed. Now what?

It should be fine.

• LimbaLimba Posts: 53
    edited March 2022

It seems that re-release was missing Dreamlight.dse and now whole UI is white. It seems it's missing all UI styles.
    Is there way that I can download older version?

Edit: Public beta is atleast loading and looks ok

Post edited by Limba on
  • Limba said:

It seems that re-release was missing Dreamlight.dse and now whole UI is white. It seems it's missing all UI styles.

That usually happens when installing the application while DAZ Studio is running. Make sure it is not running, uninstall and reinstall.

• LimbaLimba Posts: 53

DoctorJellybean said:

Limba said:

That usually happens when installing the application while DAZ Studio is running. Make sure it is not running, uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks.
    It seems I accidently updated it when it was running. I didn't noticed that it was runnign because I normally have it pinned to taskbar.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited March 2022

Well, this sure ain't right. DIM showed 4.20 to upgrade, and when I did, I was offered no option to use my existing settings, nothing. This is the useless result. Studio was not running when I uninstalled and reinstalled - this is the 2nd attempt.

Also, Iray preview is not working.

Effed Up.jpg
    3011 x 1046 - 189K
    Post edited by Ptrope on
  • Are you sure Daz Studio was closed - did you check the process list in Task Manager with More Details enabled?

Yes; everything related to Daz was closed down. The controls apears to be there, the UI just hasn't been constructed, and no IRay preview - just shows the untextured figures. I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,103

That tends to happen when DS is running and it gets upgraded/installed or reinstalled.

Try rebooting your PC to make certain DS isn't running at all.

Then use DIM to uninstall and then reinstall.

Don't try to use DS until you are done with the install.

You don't need to reinstall content.

That's kept separate. On purpose for just such occasions.

Nope - still white as the newfallen snow.

Why is it that Daz gets away with putting out substandard product ALL THE TIME, and the best that can be said is, "Yup, that's how it works. Try it again" ? Several posts here point out that the package is missing components, but it doesn't appear anything is being done to either fix it, or roll it back to a version that worked. It's frustrating, it's stupid, and there's no excuse for it.

Is there any way to roll back to 4.16? Or the first release of 4.20? I've tried installing the beta, and it has the same issue: no UI. Clearly, this is NOT just a problem with having Studio running; someone needs to fix this.

edited March 2022

I'm assuming you are on a mac at this point.

You are most likely having a permissions problem.

I'm not a mac user but @totte helped a few people with mac problems.

I'll see if I can hunt down the post for you. 

Post edited by IceCrMn on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,473

IceCrMn said:

Looking at the screenshots it looks like Windows to me.  

Totte said:

IceCrMn said:

Looking at the screenshots it looks like Windows to me.  

Yeah, I noticed the Windows UI close button after I posted.

Didn't bother changing it though.Figured Ptrope would be back at some point to correct me :) .

• jrlaudiojrlaudio Posts: 47
    edited March 2022

Knowing more about Iray than DAZ itself, I suspect the people that are showing slower rendering is a combination of things. Older hardware, older drivers, and not running Studio drivers and any combination of all of them. The latest version of Iray leverages several new features of Ampere and leans heavily in favor of that. Specfically 2x 32FP instead of 1x 32FP in Turing and previous. Also it leverages CUDA 8 versus CUDA 7.5 in Turing. Both of these have an impact in the current version of Iray. It is also important that you should be running the Studio driver 510.xx or higher in order to utilize these new features in Ampere.

If you are running older hardware and seeing things slowing down ... well ... that's just the nature of computing. Software leverages hardware, not the other way around. Sometimes as software advances it is not possible to make it backwards compatible to older hardware missing the latest features and still get the performance boost. Nor can users reasonably expect performance equivalent to previous levels with a change in software only, in fact the opposite can occur.

On some other issues mentioned, as is the case with ANY software, installation should always be done clean AND only after uninstalling old software and a restart. You also should have all other software closed. If that means losing the 25+ tabs you have open in a browser (which seems to be a "thing" these days with some), so be it. This is always the best pratice. If you fail to do this when installing any software you have only yourself to blame if you have issues. You should never expect a developer to wirte an update that will load perfectly on every possible hardware configuration and every possible OS configuration as well. That's not a reasonable expectation or smart.

I made a clean install of Studio 4.20.0.2, run an Ampere based GPU and run the latest Studio driver, and have had no issues whatsoever, even with older scene files. My render times have improved slightly. It's not luck or that I am special in any way; it's simply understanding basic computer techniques and knowing what is required for a specific software suite.

Post edited by jrlaudio on
  • Ptrope said:

Why is it that Daz gets away with putting out substandard product ALL THE TIME, and the best that can be said is, "Yup, that's how it works. Try it again" ? Several posts here point out that the package is missing components, but it doesn't appear anything is being done to either fix it, or roll it back to a version that worked. It's frustrating, it's stupid, and there's no excuse for it.

Is there any way to roll back to 4.16? Or the first release of 4.20? I've tried installing the beta, and it has the same issue: no UI. Clearly, this is NOT just a problem with having Studio running; someone needs to fix this.

The only other possible cause I can think of is perhaps an anti-Virus or malware app interferes with the installation.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,294

DoctorJellybean said:

Ptrope said:

The only other possible cause I can think of is perhaps an anti-Virus or malware app interferes with the installation.

Was it 4.16 that was missing the proper authorization? Haven't seen mentioned on the change logs that the issue is solved. 

edited March 2022

Just back - some of us sleep wink.

Yes, this is Windows 10. I also found that my DIM changed its install setting at some point to delete after installation, so I don't have either the first drop files for 4.20 or even 4.16; I do have 4.14 and have installed it for now - it's working properly, at least. I'm at work, now, and won't have access to my machine for a few hours, but I"ll look over that link to the "white interface" issue. Thanks!

EDIT: just looked it over - doesn't appear it will be any help, as it's exactly the same recommendation posted here in the thread. This situation is continuing, despite the fact that I've installed the new 4.20 package in every case without Studio running; I've uninstalled it and rebooted, then tried reinstalling (workflow suggested above), and still have the white-on-white interface - all the controls seem to be there, but they can't be seen, and every time, I also get the error message of the missing Dreamlight component (something "Ruins"). If we KNOW components are missing, and we KNOW it's throwing a consistent error for multiple users that hasn't ever been seen before, it seems like, at the very least, DAZ should replace the install package with the last one that didn't have these problems, rather than leaving it up for more users to have problems with.

Post edited by Ptrope on
  • robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 762

@Ptrope Since nothing else seems to be working to fix your Daz Studio white interface problems, try this 12-step process:

1. Uninstall Daz Studio from Daz Central and/or DIM
    2. Delete all Daz 3D AppData
       C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\ (NOTE: Back-up folder first for safety)
    3. Restart PC
    4. Uninstall Daz Central from PC
    5. Delete all Daz 3D AppData again (i.e 2nd-time)
    6. Restart PC
    7. Go to the Registry editor and Edit->Delete the 3 Daz files/folders (see below)
          NOTE 1: If you want to backup your Windows Registry before making changes, follow the steps here:
       https://www.howtogeek.com/197785/how-to-backup-and-restore-the-windows-registry/
          NOTE 2: You may also want to create a System Restore point before you make any edits:
       https://www.howtogeek.com/237230/how-to-enable-system-restore-and-repair-system-problems-on-windows-10/
       Press Windows+R to open the Run dialog box, type "regedit" in the text field, and then press Enter.
       A User Account Control (UAC) dialog appears asking if you want Registry Editor admin privileges; Click “Yes” and Registry Editor opens.

Expand: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
          1. .daz
          2.  dazfile
       Expand: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
       Expand: SOFTWARE
          3.  DAZ
    File-->Exit

8. Restart PC
    9. Install Daz Central and/or DIM
    10. Restart PC
    11. Install Daz Sudio
    12. Launch Daz Studio and hopefully your white interface is no more

• solissolis Posts: 124

Colin said:

Hi. I've got the update sitting in DIM (size 453.7MB) too. Does anyone know what is in this update please?  (I clicked the 'i' but, true to Studio form, nothing to see). Thanks yes

• solis said:

Colin said:

Hi. I've got the update sitting in DIM (size 453.7MB) too. Does anyone know what is in this update please?  (I clicked the 'i' but, true to Studio form, nothing to see). Thanks yes

It is fine to update.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 541

I don't know if this is related but I noticed on SASE Characters (I have Maren, Sprout, Tillie, and Welda), DS is not finding a specific eye file (SASETillieEyesB_1007.jpg).  It's the same "EyesB_1007.jpg file with the character's name in it.  This file is there, DS is just not finding it.  I noticed this after doing the second 4.20 upgrade. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks.

• Muon Quark said:

I don't know if this is related but I noticed on SASE Characters (I have Maren, Sprout, Tillie, and Welda), DS is not finding a specific eye file (SASETillieEyesB_1007.jpg).  It's the same "EyesB_1007.jpg file with the character's name in it.  This file is there, DS is just not finding it.  I noticed this after doing the second 4.20 upgrade. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks.

This is a known issue because the paths in the .duf files start with //Runtime instead of /Runtime.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Muon Quark said:

Thanks.

This is a known issue because the paths in the .duf files start with //Runtime instead of /Runtime.

The PA is in the process of updating all the affected SASE products.