Daz Studio 4.20[.0.x] Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• Richard Haseltine said:

robertswww said:

Also, if you manually try and extract the IM00069579-01_SASEJazzforSahira8.zip file, there is 1 unspecified error in extracting this duf file: Jazz LIE 00 Options.duf

I would suspect the last is a 0-byte empty file to make an informational thumbnail appear in the cotnent library. Some zip tools don't like those.

@Richard Haseltine I think you are correct about the empty file... Do you think that a PA could simply add a single line comment to the .duf file to overcome this error?

// Comment

• KW001 said:

AndrewJJP said:

Padone said:

This update breaks most materials due to the top coat and opacity emission changes. Until DAZ and the PAs are going to fix all the affected items and publish updates, I advise to stay with 4.15. Do not update to 4.20 if you don't want your scenes broken.

edit. It is reported that 4.20 also breaks tone mapping other than materials.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/551726/

Can Daz and the PAs update the products? That would mean they would require 4.2.0 in order to work I think. The fundamental issue is that Daz 4.2.0 behaves differently to earlier versions in crucial ways. I'm sure it will get sorted out, but I'm going to wait a bit to see what happens...

The "fix" (turning on "Enable Iray Matte" in the display properties, then setting the Opacity map to empty and  Opacity value 0.01) actually works in 4.16 as well so it wouldn't break those products for people who use them in new scenes going forward.

The only difference is that in 4.16 the Luminance value can be left the same, while in 4.20 it needs to be multiplied x100 to compensate for the new Opacity influence to light output.

In any previously-made scenes, the ghostlights would have to be replaced by updated versions and the lighting tweaked again.

Why is Daz releasing breaking changes like this, and prompting users to upgrade without warning them?  For that matter a dot release shouldn't introduce a breaking change of this magnitude, if any.  I've got a project due in 2 days and I hit the upgrade button by accident.  I have no idea how I'm going to fix everything in time given that it takes hours for every render!

• is there any way to download the update without the daz content central? i'm the only one who manage the files in my pc, i don't let any machine do such things :-)

• Zarquen said:

is there any way to download the update without the daz content central? i'm the only one who manage the files in my pc, i don't let any machine do such things :-)

@Zarquen Besides Daz Central, you can also download DS manually by typing Daz Studio 4.X Pro into your Product Library on Daz3D.com and downloading from there:
    https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_13176

Or you can download DS from the Daz Install Manager (DIM):
    https://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info -or- https://www.daz3d.com/get_install_manager

• Go to your product library and search for "Daz Studio 4.x Pro".

• evacynevacyn Posts: 950
    edited February 2022

I have my old 4.16 ZIP backed up - what's the best way to reinstall? It doesn't look like I can drag-and-drop to DIM.

EDIT: Nevermind - figured it out that I had to work offline in DIM.

Post edited by evacyn on
  • SabbySabby Posts: 108

robertswww said:

@Sabby After seeing @Richard Haseltine's post (above), I manually went through the SASE Jazz for Sahira 8 files too.

I can confirm that the file: Jazz All Maps.duf has 3 instances of the //Runtime (double slash) mistake (opened in Notepad to verify).

All 10 eye color materials have the //Runtime mistake twice in each of the 10 .duf files.

Also, if you manually try and extract the IM00069579-01_SASEJazzforSahira8.zip file, there is 1 unspecified error in extracting this duf file: Jazz LIE 00 Options.duf

Yea, although an easy fix... it will be time consuming because I've got a ton of products and many will need it since for some reason that never flagged an error in any previous version of Daz|Studio  and many characters reuse the same shader files, even tho the textures and things are different the method for applying them stays consistant.

• MadHammerMadHammer Posts: 34
    edited February 2022

Sabby said:

robertswww said:

@Sabby After seeing @Richard Haseltine's post (above), I manually went through the SASE Jazz for Sahira 8 files too.

I can confirm that the file: Jazz All Maps.duf has 3 instances of the //Runtime (double slash) mistake (opened in Notepad to verify).

All 10 eye color materials have the //Runtime mistake twice in each of the 10 .duf files.

Yea, although an easy fix... it will be time consuming because I've got a ton of products and many will need it since for some reason that never flagged an error in any previous version of Daz|Studio  and many characters reuse the same shader files, even tho the textures and things are different the method for applying them stays consistant.

Here is a trick you can do with Notepad++ Load every offending file at once, then CTRL-H (Search and Replace) search for your //Runtime and replace with /Runtime then click on 'Replace All in All Opened Documents', CTRL+SHIFT+S (Save All) then CTRL+SHIFT+W (Close All) Presto Chango Bob's your Uncle it's all done.

Obviously there are a few more steps if the files have been compressed on saving by DAZ, but you can batch that too with 7-Zip if you are so inclined.

Post edited by MadHammer on
  • SabbySabby Posts: 108

MadHammer said:

Sabby said:

robertswww said:

Here is a trick you can do with Notepad++ Load every offending file at once, then CTRL-H (Search and Replace) search for your //Runtime and replace with /Runtime then click on 'Replace All in All Opened Documents', CTRL+SHIFT+S (Save All) then CTRL+SHIFT+W (Close All) Presto Chango Bob's your Uncle it's all done.

Obviously there are a few more steps if the files have been compressed on saving by DAZ, but you can batch that too with 7-Zip if you are so inclined.

Thank you, I've got them all changed, it is just a matter of rezipping and getting Rendo to let me ftp them all to the store, tho my wifi is quite slow where I am currently working from. : ) Thanks again for the tips and the help you guys have given me.

• @Sabby We all love your Daz characters, and thank you for taking the time to make the file modifications :)

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092

Sabby said:

MadHammer said:

Sabby said:

robertswww said:

Thank you, I've got them all changed, it is just a matter of rezipping and getting Rendo to let me ftp them all to the store, tho my wifi is quite slow where I am currently working from. : ) Thanks again for the tips and the help you guys have given me.

Does this only apply to the Rendo releases, or does the same thing apply to the characters in the Daz Store too? 

• MelanieL said:

Does this only apply to the Rendo releases, or does the same thing apply to the characters in the Daz Store too? 

Yes, it applies to both SASE products in the Daz3D shop, as well as, the Rendo SASE items for Daz. 

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092

Ah, thanks - so I suppose we will be expecting multiple updates here too.

Sabby said:

MadHammer said:

Sabby said:

robertswww said:

Is this something we can do locally doing the Replace All? I have a lot of your products, and it's not an issue updating through DIM but having to redownload everything through Rendo will be a bit of work :)

• Hello.
    Genesis 8 was updated near time  DS 4.20 Update.
    The shape of the eyelashes has changed.
    Did anyone notice it?
    Guess
    1) My own problem
    2) Change of shape compatibility with Genesis 8.1
    3) Correction for unknown reasons

ds000054.jpg
    1000 x 337 - 216K
  • evacyn said:

Is this something we can do locally doing the Replace All? I have a lot of your products, and it's not an issue updating through DIM but having to redownload everything through Rendo will be a bit of work :)

@evacyn Personally, I would just wait for @sabby to submit them, since it sounds like he already made the necessary changes. But, I'm not sure how long it will take Daz and Rendo to verify the files and upload the updated versions, so doing the changes yourself may end up being faster. I did check-out a few more of the SASE characters here on Daz.  In additon to Jazz, both Karma, and Tilly had the problem, but Brenna and Carling did not have the typos.

Once you extract/unzip the SASE character folder, the files are not encrypted and open fine in Notepad, so they are easy to edit. So far, I have only seen the typos in the All Maps file and the Eye materials files. 

robertswww said:

evacyn said:

@evacyn Personally, I would just wait for @sabby to submit them, since it sounds like he already made the necessary changes. But, I'm not sure how long it will take Daz and Rendo to verify the files and upload the updated versions, so doing the changes yourself may end up being faster. I did check-out a few more of the SASE characters here on Daz.  In additon to Jazz, both Karma, and Tilly had the problem, but Brenna and Carling did not have the typos.

Once you extract/unzip the SASE character folder, the files are not encrypted and open fine in Notepad, so they are easy to edit. So far, I have only seen the typos in the All Maps file and the Eye materials files. 

Awesome - thanks for your help :)

• Having issue with DAZ 4.20. It seems I have an issue with rendering  nowill not  t lighting witht my pre render setup. The second my renders are going from clear to pixated the longer the render runs. My render went from 4.17 looking good to 4.2 looking terrible. I had to manually stop the render, If i do not my renders get distortedI will had pictures. Please any help will be appreciated.

last image 4.1.png
    1300 x 1300 - 3M
    Image 4,2 mid stop.png
    1300 x 1300 - 4M
    full render time going bad.png
    1300 x 1300 - 3M
  • jswoolard1974 said:

Having issue with DAZ 4.20. It seems I have an issue with rendering  nowill not  t lighting witht my pre render setup. The second my renders are going from clear to pixated the longer the render runs. My render went from 4.17 looking good to 4.2 looking terrible. I had to manually stop the render, If i do not my renders get distortedI will had pictures. Please any help will be appreciated.

part of that may well be the chnage in ghost lights - as discussed elsewhere if you are suign ghost lights (amlost, but not quite, transparent planes that emit light) you may want to divide the Luminosity by the Cutout Opacity (Surfaces pane). However, I think you also need to update your GPU driver as it sounds to be dropping to CPU now.

edited February 2022

I was the person who responeded to Sabby with the Notepad++ trick. Also anyone not using Notepad++ should install it right away and never open the Windows Notepad app again. So, So, So much better and is Open Source and updated regularly. 

I have only one Sabby product, so I can't say a lot about what is affected or not, mine had the typo. I am just learning DAZ and trying to get by with as few packages as possible so I don't have a lot of expereince with content. But what I did to make it easier was to open Notepad++, then in Windows Explorer navigate to the directory with all the material .duf files for that character. Since I didn't want to look at every one to see which was or wasn't affected I just dragged and dropped the entire collection of .duf files into the Notepad++ window, then did my Replace all in Open Documents. It will only modify files it needs to, then a Save All only saves the modified .duf files, leaving the rest untouched. 

Obviously this won't work with compressed files, so if you ever have to modify one of those, just note that 7-Zip (and I am sure other compression apps) will simply uncompress the compressed .duf files with no issues.

On another note re. 4.20; I am also having the every OOT haircolor I try renders as black. Are we expecting some workaround for this or is it totally up to OOT to fix this issue? 

• 3D Doghouse said:

Hello.
    Genesis 8 was updated near time  DS 4.20 Update.
    The shape of the eyelashes has changed.
    Did anyone notice it?
    Guess
    1) My own problem
    2) Change of shape compatibility with Genesis 8.1
    3) Correction for unknown reasons

Wow, I don't like how they look now, update files are still waiting to be installed, I better wait after seeing that. Thanks for sharing. I don't want more surprises :'D

• MadHammer said:

I was the person who responeded to Sabby with the Notepad++ trick. Also anyone not using Notepad++ should install it right away and never open the Windows Notepad app again. So, So, So much better and is Open Source and updated regularly. 

I have only one Sabby product, so I can't say a lot about what is affected or not, mine had the typo. I am just learning DAZ and trying to get by with as few packages as possible so I don't have a lot of expereince with content. But what I did to make it easier was to open Notepad++, then in Windows Explorer navigate to the directory with all the material .duf files for that character. Since I didn't want to look at every one to see which was or wasn't affected I just dragged and dropped the entire collection of .duf files into the Notepad++ window, then did my Replace all in Open Documents. It will only modify files it needs to, then a Save All only saves the modified .duf files, leaving the rest untouched. 

Obviously this won't work with compressed files, so if you ever have to modify one of those, just note that 7-Zip (and I am sure other compression apps) will simply uncompress the compressed .duf files with no issues.

On another note re. 4.20; I am also having the every OOT haircolor I try renders as black. Are we expecting some workaround for this or is it totally up to OOT to fix this issue? 

I tried to follow the steps you mentioned, went to My Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/SASE/Alanna , inside this folder there's another called materials, I sorted by type and dragged all duf files to notepad++ , did the replace thing (//Runtime for /Runtime ) Saved all and closed. But I'm still getting the error when trying to load the character, maybe I did something wrong?

c1.jpg
    414 x 873 - 79K
    c2.jpg
    1513 x 879 - 402K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

faibolx said:

MadHammer said:

I tried to follow the steps you mentioned, went to My Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/SASE/Alanna , inside this folder there's another called materials, I sorted by type and dragged all duf files to notepad++ , did the replace thing (//Runtime for /Runtime ) Saved all and closed. But I'm still getting the error when trying to load the character, maybe I did something wrong?

You are supposed to find all //runtime and change them to /runtime. Did you accidently do it backwards and find /runtime and change them to //runtime?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,296

faibolx said:

How do you install your content?

Do you log in to DS?

• faibolxfaibolx Posts: 71
    edited February 2022

barbult said:

faibolx said:

MadHammer said:

You are supposed to find all //runtime and change them to /runtime. Did you accidently do it backwards and find /runtime and change them to //runtime?

No, as I said I searched  //Runtime and replaced with /Runtime. Found and changed 23 coincidences. But I still getting a pop up window telling me eyes are missing.

Post edited by faibolx on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,296

faibolx said:

No, as I said I searched  //Runtime and replaced with /Runtime. Found and changed 23 coincidences. But I still getting a pop up window telling me eyes are missing.

But the question is, were those the files DS is actually using - Do you log in to DS and let DAZ Connect install/update your content within DS?

• faibolx said:

barbult said:

faibolx said:

MadHammer said:

The materials are for applying to a pre-loaded figure, as are the shaping presets. if you are literally loading the character (as a new figure) then you are using the character preset, which may be in the My Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/SASE/Alanna itself but is more likely to be in My Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/ along with all the other character presets.

edited February 2022

faibolx said:

barbult said:

faibolx said:

MadHammer said:

As far as I know the only SABBY files affected are the All Maps and Eye Colour files, rather than using  LIST view in Windows Explorer use DETAILS so at the very least we can see the file dates, anything saved by Notepad++ will have today's date on it.

File list.png
    658 x 384 - 742K
    edited February 2022

Also I am specifically not showing the full path and just the file list because as a new DAZ user none of my stuff is in My Library/, Hate the file management promoted by DAZ, makes stuff too hard to find and Smart Content isn't universal so that kinda sucks too. Regardless, the stuff that is actually borked is in the Materials folder for whatever SABBY character you are finding missing files. Emrys issue is the same only different as it affects the main Character Preset .duf file and doesn't appear to extend to the Eyes files.

Honestly follow @Richard Haseltine advice and unless you need it today, wait on the asset developers to make the change for you.

• Open 4.20 and you see the screen in the factory layout. Adjust the layout, move the view port screen, adjust everything to your liking. After use, close the App. Next load it will be on the default screen with all your changes gone. Is there any location to stop that behavior? After looking in Prefrences I am not able to find one.