Daz Studio 4.20[.0.x] Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Daz SoftwareDaz Software Posts: 35
edited October 2022 in Daz Studio Discussion

Daz 3D is pleased to announce Daz Studio 4.20 Pro General Release!

• Version: 4.20.0.17
  • Date: April 29, 2022

Highlights:

Important Notes:

!! IF YOU HAVE NOT UPGRADED TO THE 4.9 GENERAL RELEASE, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU BACKUP YOUR CONTENT DATABASE IN DAZ STUDIO 4.x BEFORE LAUNCHING THIS VERSION !!

How do I backup my User Data in Daz Studio?

!! IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY MIGRATED FROM THE VALENTINA DB BASED CMS, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU MIGRATE TO THE POSTGRESQL BASED CMS BEFORE LAUNCHING THIS VERSION !!

Has the Content Management Service (CMS) changed?

For anyone using a pre-4.9.x build of Daz Studio:

• The first time you launch Daz Studio 4.9+, any data that exists in the content database is migrated so that it can be used in Daz Studio 4.9+.
  • The amount of time the database migration operation takes is proportional to the amount of data to be migrated.
  • The database migration operation does not delete the data that it migrates from the previous location so that it remains accessible by earlier versions and other applications, such as Carrara.
  • Daz Studio 4.9+ uses the same PostgreSQL database as Daz Studio 4.6 and later, and/or other applications, such as Carrara.
  • A portion of the data contained within the database is shared amongst versions but not entirely. For example:
    • Creating a category in either Daz Studio 4.9+ or 4.8 will cause that category to exist in the other version
    • Assigning a file to that category in Daz Studio 4.9+ will NOT cause that file to be assigned to that category in Daz Studio 4.8
    • Assigning a file to that category in Daz Studio 4.8 WILL cause the file to be assigned to the category in Daz Studio 4.9+
  • Reseting the database in any version of Daz Studio that uses PostgreSQL (e.g., 4.6 or later) will purge all of data in the database, including any data that may be used by earlier versions or other applications, such as Carrara.
  • After the initial migration operation, edited metadata in Daz Studio 4.8 will not be migrated to Daz Studio 4.9+.
    • A workaround is to export User Data from Daz Studio 4.8 and reimport User Data in Daz Studio 4.9+.

Known Issues:

• General
    • UI customizations in new installations are not being preserved *fixed in the current version (4.20.0.17)*
      • Fixes for this issue are available via the Public Build and are being verified
      • Executing (opening) the script attached to the bottom of this post (Ensure_UI_Session_Files _Exist.dse) will attempt to create the necessary files
  • Windows
    • Executables are unsigned
      • UAC prompt is yellow with unknown publisher instead of blue with publisher name
  • macOS
    • Big Sur
      • Styling issues on (horizontal) tabbars, (horizontal) tabs, buttons, frames
      • Interactive Lessons draw opaque over the UI, obstructing view of the UI
      • Color selection uses Qt (4) standard color picker - not the macOS native color picker
    • Installation via Install Manager or DazCentral is recommended
      • Installation via standalone application/plugin installers may require an addition to Gatekeeper's exceptions and approved application launch list (via the Command Line)

Frequently Asked Questions:

Public Beta Threads:

• 4.21.0.5 (October 12, 2022)
    • 4.20.1.91 (October 5, 2022)
    • 4.20.1.88 (September 28, 2022)
    • 4.20.1.78 (September 7, 2022)
    • 4.20.1.58 (July 27, 2022)
    • 4.20.1.43 (June 3, 2022)
    • 4.20.1.38 (May 20, 2022)
    • 4.20.1.34 (May 13, 2022)
  • 4.20.0.17 (April 21, 2022)
    • 4.20.0.12 (April 8, 2022)
    • 4.20.0.11 (March 25, 2022)
    • 4.20.0.8 (March 17, 2022)
    • 4.20.0.6 (March 11, 2022)
    • 4.20.0.5 (March 9, 2022)
    • 4.20.0.4 (March 3, 2022)
    • 4.20.0.3 (February 24, 2022)
    • 4.20.0.2 (February 17, 2022)
    • 4.16.1.47 (February 14, 2022)
    • 4.16.1.43 (February 4, 2022)
    • 4.16.1.40 (January 31, 2022)
    • 4.16.1.34 (January 21, 2022)
    • 4.16.1.31 (January 14, 2022)
    • 4.16.1.21 (December 22, 2021)
    • 4.16.1.17 (December 17, 2021)
    • 4.16.1.6 (December 1, 2021)
    • 4.16.1.2 (November 22, 2021)
    • 4.15.1.96 (November 12, 2021)
    • 4.15.1.91 (November 3, 2021)
    • 4.15.1.84 (October 29, 2021)
    • 4.15.1.72 (October 7, 2021)

Previous General Releases:

• 4.20.0.2 (February 18, 2022)
  • 4.16.0.3 (November 22, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.30 (September 2, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.2 (January 7, 2021)
  • 4.14.0.10 (December 2, 2020)
    • 4.14.0.8 (November 10, 2020)
  • 4.12.1.118 (June 29, 2020)
    • 4.12.0.86 (September 24, 2019)
  • 4.11.0.383 (June 12, 2019)
  • 4.10.0.123 (December 8, 2017)
Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• GarciaLopez99GarciaLopez99 Posts: 4
    edited February 2022

Hello, I have massive problems with hair from the vendor outoftouch in the new version 4.20. The hair is permanently black and the color cannot be changed.

Post edited by GarciaLopez99 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

GarciaLopez99 said:

Hello, I have massive problems with hair from the vendor outoftouch in the new version 4.20. The hair is permanently black and the color cannot be changed.

Have you updated your graphics card driver to at least the minimum required version?

• Hello, Nvidia iray don't work since update.... crying

• axionescyllas said:

Hello, Nvidia iray don't work since update.... crying

Same thing happened to me, I updated my NVIDIA graphics card drivers and now it's all good. 

• barbult said:

GarciaLopez99 said:

Have you updated your graphics card driver to at least the minimum required version?

The OutOfTouch hair issue is the way nVidia has changed (corrected) the behaviour of the TopCoat effect - there is some discussion of the issue in the Public Build thread and in the change log.

• I can't find any mention of it in any threads, but the G8.1 tear seems to render darker in 4.20 (was doing the same in recent 4.16 betas). This makes the lacrimals much darker compared to the same character rendered in 4.15 or 4.16 general releases.

I'm seeing this effect on 2 different computers - a laptop and a desktop pc - both with the latest nvidia drivers installed.

I assume that it's not just me, in spite of no one else reporting it?

• TomCatOliver said:

I can't find any mention of it in any threads, but the G8.1 tear seems to render darker in 4.20 (was doing the same in recent 4.16 betas). This makes the lacrimals much darker compared to the same character rendered in 4.15 or 4.16 general releases.

I'm seeing this effect on 2 different computers - a laptop and a desktop pc - both with the latest nvidia drivers installed.

I believe that some tears are alsoa ffected by the same issue.

• Richard Haseltine said:

TomCatOliver said:

I can't find any mention of it in any threads, but the G8.1 tear seems to render darker in 4.20 (was doing the same in recent 4.16 betas). This makes the lacrimals much darker compared to the same character rendered in 4.15 or 4.16 general releases.

I believe that some tears are alsoa ffected by the same issue.

Do you mean the Top Coat issue?

• Hang on--light intensity of emissive surfaces is now affected by opacity? The "ghost light" trick is doesn't work anymore?

Wow, I can't believe it. All of my render source files are now broken.

• Well, it'll let me use 3DL and Filament, b ut IRay no longer works.

Great job guys.  Glad you put so much effort into it.

G

• PrefoXPrefoX Posts: 237

Georgehaze said:

Well, it'll let me use 3DL and Filament, b ut IRay no longer works.

Great job guys.  Glad you put so much effort into it.

G

as other people mentioned, just update your gpu drivers as always.

• KW001KW001 Posts: 13
    edited February 2022

tianxiangxiong said:

Hang on--light intensity of emissive surfaces is now affected by opacity? The "ghost light" trick is doesn't work anymore?

Confirmed on my test machine, objects with a fully-black opacity map will now produce no light.  This is obviously more physically correct, but vexing to people who made extensive use of stuff built around the old behavior.

I've managed to approximate the ghost-light behavior in a few test scenes by:

1) adding Advanced Iray Node Properties to the object,

2) enabling "Iray Matte" (there are other posts on the forums about doing this; can also search for "shadow catcher")

3) clearing the all-black image map from the Opacity node and setting it to .001
    4) Luminance to 2000000 (from 20000 in the preset I originally applied; tweak this as you usually would to achieve the desired brightness)

5*) When I tested with Ground Fog I got better results with Thin Walled OFF on the emission object.  Without fog, it made no difference.

Post edited by KW001 on
  • KW001 said:

tianxiangxiong said:

Hang on--light intensity of emissive surfaces is now affected by opacity? The "ghost light" trick is doesn't work anymore?

Confirmed on my test machine, objects with a fully-black opacity map will now produce no light.  This is obviously more physically correct, but vexing to people who made extensive use of stuff built around the old behavior.

2) enabling "Iray Matte" (there are other posts on the forums about doing this; can also search for "shadow catcher")

3) clearing the all-black image map from the Opacity node and setting it to .001
    4) Luminance to 2000000 (from 20000 in the preset I originally applied; tweak this as you usually would to achieve the desired brightness)

5*) When I tested with Ground Fog I got better results with Thin Walled OFF on the emission object.  Without fog, it made no difference.

Thanks, your steps are exactly what I used to get ghost lights sort of working as well. I know Nvidia is the one that develops Iray, but Daz packages it in the product we actually use. This radical a change really should not have been pushed out w/out some kind of migration guide.

• There also seems to be an issue w/ Full Screen. When exiting Full Screen, the Viewport becomes undocked, and the top bar disappears so you can't even drag it back into place The "solution" is to dock it into a side area first, then undock it so the top bar reappears, then drag it back into the center.

Where do we report bugs again? IIRC there used to be a ticket area, but I can't find it.

daz_full_screen_bug.png
    1332 x 914 - 78K

tianxiangxiong said:

There also seems to be an issue w/ Full Screen. When exiting Full Screen, the Viewport becomes undocked, and the top bar disappears so you can't even drag it back into place The "solution" is to dock it into a side area first, then undock it so the top bar reappears, then drag it back into the center.

Where do we report bugs again? IIRC there used to be a ticket area, but I can't find it.

I can also replicate this behavior on my 4.20 install.

There's a "Submit Request" button at the bottom here: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

tianxiangxiong said:

KW001 said:

tianxiangxiong said:

Thanks, your steps are exactly what I used to get ghost lights sort of working as well. I know Nvidia is the one that develops Iray, but Daz packages it in the product we actually use. This radical a change really should not have been pushed out w/out some kind of migration guide.

Good to hear it works for you.  Maybe someone who's better at scripting than myself can smoosh it into a nice one-click "ghost-light-fixer" thing.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,437
    edited February 2022

This update breaks most materials due to the top coat and opacity emission changes. Until DAZ and the PAs are going to fix all the affected items and publish updates, I advise to stay with 4.15. Do not update to 4.20 if you don't want your scenes broken.

edit. It is reported that 4.20 also breaks tone mapping other than materials.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/551726/

Post edited by Padone on
  • Ok thanks everyone. A rollback seems to be the best way to me.
  • I've been getting some error when loading characters' textures, even if I choose "Locate" on the pop up error window. The funny thing is I need to asign them on Surfaces tab and save changes, but I'm affraid I'll get this issue each time I load a character

error_dialog.jpg
    574 x 440 - 18K
    error_dialog_2.jpg
    401 x 95 - 11K
  • faibolx said:

I've been getting some error when loading characters' textures, even if I choose "Locate" on the pop up error window. The funny thing is I need to asign them on Surfaces tab and save changes, but I'm affraid I'll get this issue each time I load a character

Me too on lighting

untitled.jpg
    448 x 573 - 49K
  • Today, when I launched DazStudio, I got a message saying there was an update. Knowing Daz, I decided to see what kind of problems other people were having and I'm glad I did because it looks like Hell is really breaking loose… again.

• WhiteWolf619WhiteWolf619 Posts: 0
    edited February 2022

Since the latest update a couple of friends and I have noticed that with some of the SASE characters, and a few others, i know they didn't come from the daz store but we have encountered this issue when trying to load them. As far as we know all the models so far having this issue came from renderosity.

unknown.png
    574 x 440 - 14K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • The RED CrownThe RED Crown Posts: 247
    edited February 2022

WhiteWolf619 said:

Since the latest update a couple of friends and I have noticed that with some of the SASE characters, and a few others, i know they didn't come from the daz store but we have encountered this issue when trying to load them. As far as we know all the models so far having this issue came from renderosity.

I think there is a problem with the path of textures and it needs to be Fix from daz .

Post edited by The RED Crown on
  • faibolx said:

I've been getting some error when loading characters' textures, even if I choose "Locate" on the pop up error window. The funny thing is I need to asign them on Surfaces tab and save changes, but I'm affraid I'll get this issue each time I load a character

Which characters, apart from SASE?

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617
    edited February 2022

I specifically held off on this update as the ghost lights do not work in the Beta release, and I wanted to make sure there were no issues with that in this release.  I'm running 4.16 which runs ghost lights just fine.  I make such heavy use of ghost lights that I prefer not to make all of my scene files unusable without fixes to all of the ghost lights.  This is a known problem and I would have thought that when the developers at Daz saw this was an issue with the Beta they would not build the general relaease around so obvious a flaw.

Is there any proposed fix to this issue in the works? Or does Daz plan on reimnbursing all of us who use Ghost Lights on a daily basis?

Post edited by areg5 on
  • AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 598
    edited February 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

GarciaLopez99 said:

The OutOfTouch hair issue is the way nVidia has changed (corrected) the behaviour of the TopCoat effect - there is some discussion of the issue in the Public Build thread and in the change log.

Hi Richard,

Is there a link to the discussion? I can't find it by searching for OutOfTouch or TopCoat. Neither can I find any reference in the change log.

If it doesn't explicitly answer this question, perhaps you could. Is it possible to use OutOfTouch hair in 4.2.0, and if so, how do you do it? Thanks!

(I use OOT hair almost exclusively so if doesn't work, Daz 4.2.0 is useless to me until it's fixed. I can't imagine it's quite that bad though!)

Post edited by AndrewJJP on
  • areg5 said:

I specifically held off on this update as the ghost lights do not work in the Beta release, and I wanted to make sure there were no issues with that in this release.  I'm running 4.16 which runs ghost lights just fine.  I make such heavy use of ghost lights that I prefer not to make all of my scene files unusable without fixes to all of the ghost lights.  This is a known problem and I would have thought that when the developers at Daz saw this was an issue with the Beta they would not build the general relaease around so obvious a flaw.

Is there any proposed fix to this issue in the works? Or does Daz plan on reimnbursing all of us who use Ghost Lights on a daily basis?

I don't expect them to "fix" ghost lights since they think Mesh lights were broken from the begining and Ghosts lights shouldn't be a thing.
    I'm going back to 4.16 as well. It's not like Daz has the most realistic/best light system ever.. 90% of my scenes has a ghostlight somewhere.

edited February 2022

culay_cly said:

areg5 said:

I don't expect them to "fix" ghost lights since they think Mesh lights were broken from the begining and Ghosts lights shouldn't be a thing.
    I'm going back to 4.16 as well. It's not like Daz has the most realistic/best light system ever.. 90% of my scenes has a ghostlight somewhere.

I'm a professional software engineer with far too many years of experience, so I deal with "breaking changes" (where something changes and our software behaves differently as a result) with tedious regularity. It's perfectly possible to shield users from those changes in most cases. I'll say that I know nothing about how Daz interfaces to iRay, but I'll give you my thoughts when i heard about this.

iRay now multiplies the emission by the opacity and it didn't before. The workaround is for every user to go through every scene they are working on and divide the the emission value by the opacity. Surely Daz must be telling iRay about the emmisive material? Why can't Daz do that division at that point. Rather than telling iRay the emmision is 1000, it tells iRay it's 1000/opacity. Of course, they'd have to handle the case of opacity = 0, probably with a very large emmision value, but I don't think ghost lights with an opacity of 0 worked (?), it was always a very low number. I don't expect an answer, I'm just saying that I would not get away with blaming a third party. I'd be told "just make it work as it did before"!

I guess it is what it is. Maybe Daz couldn't fix it, or maybe they didn't try. I don't know...

And now I find that all the hair I ever use is broken too and at this point I don't even know if it's fixable (it probably is).

Sounds like we needed a migration guide (is there one?). I pity the poor support team.

Of course this doesn't apply to me because I didn't upgrade. Shame, as the volumetrics look great!

EDIT: Given the reference Richard gave to the thin film issue, I think it's pretty unlikely they didn't at least try to make this work. Unfortunately I can't manage without OOT hair. It seems almost inconceivable that Daz / OOT won't come up with a way to make that hair look as wonderful as it does, now, but until that exists, I don't feel an upgrade is an option.

edited February 2022

Padone said:

This update breaks most materials due to the top coat and opacity emission changes. Until DAZ and the PAs are going to fix all the affected items and publish updates, I advise to stay with 4.15. Do not update to 4.20 if you don't want your scenes broken.

edit. It is reported that 4.20 also breaks tone mapping other than materials.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/551726/

Can Daz and the PAs update the products? That would mean they would require 4.2.0 in order to work I think. The fundamental issue is that Daz 4.2.0 behaves differently to earlier versions in crucial ways. I'm sure it will get sorted out, but I'm going to wait a bit to see what happens...

• AndrewJJP said:

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

GarciaLopez99 said:

Hi Richard,

Is there a link to the discussion? I can't find it by searching for OutOfTouch or TopCoat. Neither can I find any reference in the change log.

If it doesn't explicitly answer this question, perhaps you could. Is it possible to use OutOfTouch hair in 4.2.0, and if so, how do you do it? Thanks!

(I use OOT hair almost exclusively so if doesn't work, Daz 4.2.0 is useless to me until it's fixed. I can't imagine it's quite that bad though!)

Sorry, I keep gettng that wrong - Thin fil, not top coat:

• Implemented a partial workaround for NVIDIA Iray thin-film changes

• Approximates (does not replicate) the previous behavior

• Cannot fully match the previous behavior, but does match color characteristics to some extent

• Affects reflection and transmission - the previous behavior only affected reflection

• Cannot match three-or-more color variations

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.16.1.3

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log_4_20_0_2#4_16_1_3 ;