Off Topic Thread #2

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

yes recently neutered.

Vet had to search for his balls as undescended.

Being hit by a car quite possible but I fear horrible humans more, people use cats for bait for greyhounds among other things that I certainly won't mention to them.

I did suggest checking unlikely places he could be trapped but I guess they thought of that already.

As he is young and friendly I can just hope the snatched pet scenario happened if he never returns.

It has happened in that area before to her sister in fact, their missing dog was discovered by the microchip by a vet that desexed it for the new owners the thief sold him to.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179

I had to neuter my male I had years ago ... 

heartcrying  Silene

We have taken in a kitten whose mother (& father?) still wander through our backyard.  My wife is slowly getting them used to a carrier set near a food bowl, and working with a group that spays feral cats.  

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Wendy,  I still hope that he turns up. 

Steve,  I had to keep my cats as indoor cats as there was a large feral cat 'colony' living near me. An old man was feeding ferals and they were multiplying like crazy. My landlord and I got my vet involved and we trapped and neutered/spayed almost a dozen of them. The population then started decreasing over the next couple of years, as the old man went into a nursing home. 

yes Silene

• NASA capture of the moon from their fancy space telescope 

Just sharing because cool

SileneUK said:

Steve,  I had to keep my cats as indoor cats as there was a large feral cat 'colony' living near me ...

My wife finally grabbed our feral lady cat and put her in our old, homemade carrier.  Suprisingly easily, she had been sitting in it off and on.  But ... it was pretty decrepit and she broke out.  So ... new carrier and success, got her to the vet.  Then ... the anesthesia didn't work well and she bit the tech, which by state law requires a ten day quarantine to check for rabies.  So she's serving her sentence, we'll see what she's like afterward ... at least she's spayed.

frown

Steve K said:

SileneUK said:

Steve,  I had to keep my cats as indoor cats as there was a large feral cat 'colony' living near me ...

My wife finally grabbed our feral lady cat and put her in our old, homemade carrier.  Suprisingly easily, she had been sitting in it off and on.  But ... it was pretty decrepit and she broke out.  So ... new carrier and success, got her to the vet.  Then ... the anesthesia didn't work well and she bit the tech, which by state law requires a ten day quarantine to check for rabies.  So she's serving her sentence, we'll see what she's like afterward ... at least she's spayed.

frown

Fingers crossed... I hope the tech will be OK!  heart Silene 

• we be celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubbly soon crying

edited February 2022

I have been banned from posting on Facebook for 48 hours by what could only be a bot!

The post taken entirely out of context was removed in under a minute and the ban given.

No human read that as it never would have been seen as bullying or whatever as I was replying to a friend about the things people say to self serve checkout machines.

I swear at ATMs too and once called my work time clock a "see you next Tuesday" because after not reading my card about 6 tries and letting other coworkers past to do theirs it swiped me in a minute late!

Unless Skynet or the Matrix is real and the machines are secretly running everything you cannot bully a device!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

...  you cannot bully a device!

Yeah, that's true.  I have tried many times to do that to my computer, "Do what I mean <dirty word>!"  (This is based on the DWIM command in Assembler)

Past World Chess champ Kasparov in a match against IBM's "Deep Blue" computer reportedly DID try to intimidate the machine (he has a history of that with human opponents).  After slamming down a move he glared at the monitor.  The machine reportedly kept its counsel.  And beat him.

edited February 2022

Windows 10 did a big update,

OK, restarted afterwards

a couple of hours later busily letting something run I left it unattended and came back to this, obviously all my work lost angry

I am also in the middle of copying 12GB of files over to it, to one of the externals, it did have a problem with one folder at one point which is when I suspect this happened, I was in my bedroom by the other computer, is copying over my network.

Still seems to be copying the rest.

8161DF6B-7087-4BB5-AE5A-918763C8531B.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I have been banned from posting on Facebook for 48 hours by what could only be a bot!

The post taken entirely out of context was removed in under a minute and the ban given.

No human read that as it never would have been seen as bullying or whatever as I was replying to a friend about the things people say to self serve checkout machines.

I swear at ATMs too and once called my work time clock a "see you next Tuesday" because after not reading my card about 6 tries and letting other coworkers past to do theirs it swiped me in a minute late!

Unless Skynet or the Matrix is real and the machines are secretly running everything you cannot bully a device!

i was trashed by fb once by writing an ad saying something like “do you suffer from a sore back?”. Fb accused me of insulting people by suggesting they had a disability.

good luck with your files.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,021

Got the second Shingles shot yesterday.  Feel horrible today.  Googled my symptoms without any reference to the shot.  WebMD listed four possibilities.  #2 was Shingles.  Yup. I'd say the shot is doing its thing.

Shingles is a good thing not to have, especially in the cornea

• most painful damn thing I ever had, was taking codeine like lollies and it didn't touch the pain.

Fortunately was on my left lower abdomen, everyone says upper and above is progressively worse the higher you go, and yes the head downright dangerous 

Oh, I am so sorry for your troubles.  If the cure is this bad, I don't want to know what having the real thing would be like.

Diomede said:

Oh, I am so sorry for your troubles.  If the cure is this bad, I don't want to know what having the real thing would be like.

I also am sorry for all the bad symptoms.  I feel very lucky that I almost never react to shots or even minor surgery.  All the shots (covid, flu, shingles, pneumonia) caused nothing, and even a laparoscopic hernia repair,  for which they gave me a bag of pain pills.  I took none of them, never felt more than a little tightness.  OTOH, kidney stones ... sheesh those hurt, especially when you get caught in a traffic jam on the way to the emergency room (where they just said "yup", and let them pass).   I had to give up two favorite foods: peanuts and spinach, high in stone causing oxalates.

So now they gave me a Pnuemonia Shot.  Feeling like a pin cushion but grateful for extra protection.  We are approaching the one year anniversary of my big health scare. Was out of town for a month and had to go to the emergency room, then the whole state lost power (was in Corpus Christi Texas during its big electric shut down).

Hope nothing like that happens again.

Diomede said:

So now they gave me a Pnuemonia Shot.  Feeling like a pin cushion but grateful for extra protection.  We are approaching the one year anniversary of my big health scare. Was out of town for a month and had to go to the emergency room, then the whole state lost power (was in Corpus Christi Texas during its big electric shut down).

Glad you are okay. Congrats on the one year anniversary.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,523

Headwax said:

Diomede said:

Glad you are okay. Congrats on the one year anniversary.

+1 yes

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

GALSTONES

they let you know you're alive and that you wish you were dead!  crying

I have taken Covid test to make sure I am clean and will be visiting family in Dallas.  Won't have my desk top for about two weeks, but should still be able to check in from time to time.  I should be able to add my entries.

May the madness get no more mad.

Blessings to all you Carrara-ists everywhere.

Diomede said:

I have taken Covid test to make sure I am clean and will be visiting family in Dallas.  

Hope you own a good coat, I don't think it got above freezing in Dallas today.  Should be warmer starting tomorrow ... 

Almost got to 50F here in the Houston area, I'm ready for summer ... blush

edited February 2022

my DNA results are back, no surprises

well Dad was Latvian not Lithuanian but I don't think they are ethnicly different, just most Latvians like Dad are Lutheran and Lithuanians Catholic.

this is incredibly underwhelming cheeky

Ethnicity.png
    583 x 777 - 33K

That is really interesting.  One of my brothers gave my parents DNA tests for Christmas one year.  Despite being in the US for four generations, both came back more than 90% Irish with the remaining 10% generic British Isles.  Their DNA test results make sense because I have a recessive genetic blood condition sometimes called the Irish blood disease.  My health has improved considerably since they stopped trying to change my behavior to avoid iron (which meant avoiding many foods that were otherwise healthy) and just started extracting blood every few months.  So apparently for some people with these recessive genes the medieval doctors who put leeches on them really were doing some good, although it is the exact opposite of what you would want to do for most of the population.

https://www.healthgrades.com/explore/hemochromatosis-the-irish-health-curse

edited February 2022

I have heard of that condition and it might be an advantage if in a warlike society that one suffers bloodloss frequently in

LOL Murphy Irish, I would have never guessed cheeky

a lot of Australians of Irish descent too, convicts largely were thanks to that 10% of your ancestors oppressing themwink

Diomede  My husband had higher than normal ferritin levels in his routine blood tests a few years ago. They thought it was because he had been a frequent taker of baby aspirin which was touted in the US when we lived there are helpful for those who had a history of heart disease in the family.  I expect if he had haemochromatosisk (the blood curse) they would have told him?  So you can be above normal but not abnormal like yours?  I think he will be back to normal blood tests for his age group now that GPs are seeing people face-to-face again.  He also has type A+ blood as does his sister. They are 100% Welsh. She is a titchy little thing and is both diabetic (late onset) and had bile-duct cancer and her liver was all buggered up. She got a terrible infection in 2013 and we though we had lost her, but she pulled through.  She now has to inject for her diabetes though she is so careful with diet and does not drink.

Husband has not gotten diabetes...  and I hope he dodges that bullet.  His other two siblings have health troubles, too. Knock on wood he does OK though like all his brothers and sister has had his gall bladder out. He's 80 this year and looks maybe in his 60s! 

Lucky me heart  SIlene

• wishing your husband and fanily good health from now on, and you too Silene heart

edited February 2022

Thanks, Wendy.  kiss

Back several years ago I did an analysis on my dna with a then free site that let you download a calculator to figure you what ancient dna you might have had.  You had to upload your txt file of raw autosomnal dna (which you can download freely from whatever company's dna test you chose to do). Files run about 15-20mb. Then I had to choose eash ancient profile I  wanted it to scan for. In the end I made a pie chart of anything over fractions of a percent. There were loads covering every population in the world that was sampled for the calculator.  I still have the calculator, but it has not been updated as the site owner guy has abandoned the project.  I have not tried to use it since his site has gone dark.  I see there are other sites that will do this analylsis for you, but you have to pay. 

Here's my ancient chart.  No Neanderthal or Denisovan for me, too low to report. So I rounded out my other percents.   I had to read David Reich's book, Who We Are and How We Got Here: Ancient DNA and the new science of the human past  for a course. It's almost 400 pages, though a quarter of that are the footnotes. I stil don't understand it all except in a very general way. I understand haplogroups in a basic way, etc, but not anything about gene health or traits. I am on the free version of Livewello which give you snippet  health freebies if you upload your autosomnal txt file, eg, if you have a tendancy to arthritis, etc. I don't want ot pay for premium. Probably just scare myself!  

surprise  SIlene

That little bit of Clovis-Anzick North American Montana (Native American) "% is what comes along if you have certain lines of ancient ancestors from Siberia/Asia. (They are the ones who settled in and then crossed the Berengia territory when it was still attached to 'Alaska'.) But for the ones who stayed and migrated west into Europe over the millennia as mine did, I carry that same marker even though I have no NA ancestry, even though my family did emigrate in the 1600s.  So...I am one of those annoying Mayflower Descendants. But if one of them did have intimate contact with a native, then I understand my NA percent would be much higher as the contact would have been more recent in genetic terms. Note this is ancient only, not what my more modern heritage is, meaning only going back about 1000 years per most genealogy sites.

DNA-Pie-Chart.png
    1191 x 850 - 217K
    Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited February 2022

I must find out how to download that autosomal DNA file,

didn't see anything hope it's not an extra fee now.

would be interesting to know if my ancestors included neanderthals I don't have the jaw though with my receding triple chin!

oh apparently that's a sign!!

6.   Little or no protruding chin

The Neanderthals’ large jaw and protruding mid-face meant that they had a weak, or receding chin.  The receding chin in modern humans is normally a congenital condition.  It ran in the family of the ancient Egyptian pharaohs of the 18th dynasty, to which Tutankhamun (1341 BC – 1323 BC) belonged.  A reconstruction of Tutankhamun’s features in 2005, based on CT analysis of his skull, captured his weak chin and overbite.  Although his racial identity is debated, anthropologists reconstructed his appearance as a Caucasoid North African.  They also concluded that his elongated skull was a normal anthropological variation, not a result of disease or congenital abnormality.

update, found an option but yet to get the email with it

update2 got it, was a confirmation one with disclaimers about not having protection,  inaccuracies for medical purposes etc 

have now got the text file of what I guess is a speadsheet of rsid chromosome position allele1 allele2

edited February 2022

In your zip file there should be a txt file called “AncestryDNA.txt” per this article that is only two years old. So it should be in there as and not just a spreadsheet.  It is just lines and lines of data, no spreadsheet format.  You will have to hunt out and evaluate any ancient sites that can do that kind of analysis if interested. Ancestry only goes back a thousad or two thousand years to show your European roots, eg to the Bronze Age, farmer invaders, etc, whatever flavour of the month is.

https://www.dataminingdna.com/how-to-download-your-ancestry-dna/

I went to a local caves here in the UK and the guide said if you have your next toe to your big toe as the same length, then you have Neanderthal genes. Well, erm, no I don't.  I think in the US they used to call this physical quirk Indian Toes. And I don't have any NA blood either! 

laugh  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on