SITE UPDATES, ANNOUNCEMENTS, AND CUSTOMER SERVICE INFORMATION

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Why is everyone downloading so many files? Is DAZ doing away with the history or some of it? I wouldn't mind, I have all the Gen 2 and 3 stuff burned and tucked away, not that I'll ever need any of it. Just wondering....

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I've started downloading to avoid Duplicate ID error messages with 4.5 RC 3. Maybe by the time I get everything downloaded and updated what needs to be updated, 4.5 will be released.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Does anyone know what these three files, under the Runtime\Support folder are for?

\Runtime\Support\DAZ_3D_14637_Enchanted_Island.dsa
    \Runtime\Support\DAZ_3D_14637_Enchanted_Island.dsx
    \Runtime\Support\DAZ_3D_14637_Enchanted_Island.jpg

That's the metadata.

Never mind, I found them. OK, then what's up? I have every file that is listed in the file listing. Why is my file size different from everyone else's? It must be the way the size is reported in Windows Explorer, or maybe a setting. I don't know, but everything is there. I haven't the time to fire up DS and see if it works right now. Real life is shaking it's finger at me. Well, that's what it's doing with the pointer finger. We'll just ignore what that other finger is doing from the other hand. :lol:

Dana

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Why is everyone downloading so many files? Is DAZ doing away with the history or some of it? I wouldn't mind, I have all the Gen 2 and 3 stuff burned and tucked away, not that I'll ever need any of it. Just wondering....

Well, I've had some bad experiences with hard drive failures, but I now back everything up in triplicate, including on a 2x2tb RAID setup -- so I'm pretty sure my runtimes are safe. But, aside from wanting backups, I am only a recent user of DS. When I originally downloaded files, I only grabbed the Poser content and never bothered with the DS mats. Now I want them. Getting them all is a pain in the butt, and having them s it there for a month is an annoyance on top of it all.

edited December 1969

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification folks!

• Wiccancowboy2000Wiccancowboy2000 Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

Hey everyone. Sorry if this is a repeat, but 60 pages of content is a bit much to go through for an answer. I'm just wondering 2 things:

1) How do I set preferences in my account so that I don't see Mac installers in my downloads?

2) Where are the Poser installers? Everything I download either has a "dpc" file, or a MetaData file, which both only give me the options for DS, not Poser! I know Daz is going towards DS only stuff, but a lot of stuff still says it's usable in Poser. How do I get it there?

Thanks everyone. Again, sorry if this is a repeat.

• edited December 1969

1. You don't. The Mac/PC files are slowly being phased out, in favour of zip files that work on all platforms.

2. 'DPC' means 'DAZ, Poser, Carrara', so the poser files are in that one. The installer, if you tell it you want to customise the install, should give you the option to tell it where you want to put stuff -- what file path. Just point it to where you keep your Poser stuff, I think. Just be careful you don't end up with like '/Runtime/Runtime/' or some other weird structure. In fact, it might be better to point it to a dummy folder, and then drag and drop the runtime folder it creates into your Poser stuff, just to be sure it's not going to break anything.

• gw3972gw3972 Posts: 50
    edited August 2012

This is the login "failure" notice I mentioned yesterday.

DAZ_login_failure.jpg
    462 x 145 - 25K
    Post edited by gw3972 on
    edited December 1969

ThinMick said:
    1. You don't. The Mac/PC files are slowly being phased out, in favour of zip files that work on all platforms.

2. 'DPC' means 'DAZ, Poser, Carrara', so the poser files are in that one. The installer, if you tell it you want to customise the install, should give you the option to tell it where you want to put stuff -- what file path. Just point it to where you keep your Poser stuff, I think. Just be careful you don't end up with like '/Runtime/Runtime/' or some other weird structure. In fact, it might be better to point it to a dummy folder, and then drag and drop the runtime folder it creates into your Poser stuff, just to be sure it's not going to break anything.

Yes, tell it to install to the folder above the Runtime folder...in my case that's usually been the Content folder, because until recently I've only had DS. Doing this, it will just place files in the sub folders in the zip into the proper folders in your Runtime, including anything at the Runtime folder level.

Dana

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...OK found something else totally annoying. Seems the menu for the forums and the one for the full site are way too close together. Often when I am wanting to click on the forms menu, I get the store drop downs instead. I don;t wto know any more about Genesis than I already do, I want to change forums however this is almost impossible unless you are really good at a first person shooter and can pinpoint your target.

edited December 1969

You'd have to show a screenshot for this, I'm not getting it. The menu seems fine to me. Unless you're working with an incredibly large monitor and very small fonts. I must be looking at the wrong thing.

Dana

edited December 1969

Happens to me all the time too. Just move your cursor out of the way for a second the pop down menu will collapse and then your good to go.

edited December 1969

...unfortunately a static screen shot wouldn't really illustrate this well and I have no knowledge about creating a motion.gif. I have a small notebook (15" display) and it is tricky to say the least to avoid having the pulldowns activate. All that needs to be done is put a little more separation the two. We had a similar issue on our intranet at work and they were able to accommodate the change.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Happens to me all the time too. Just move your cursor out of the way for a second the pop down menu will collapse and then your good to go.

..yeah but it is annoying. The old site didn't have this issue.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Can you post a screenshot showing where you want to hover and where you're actually getting? I'm not clear on what you mean. Do you mean the breadcrumbs vs. the main menu?

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited August 2012

I believe the issue is wanting to click on (for example) Forum Home, moving the cursor one line too far (easy enough to do , especially with some trackpads), and getting the Shop menu covering the intended link. Either separating the lines further or having a brief delay before the menu opens should solve the problem.

Post edited by murgatroyd314 on
    edited December 1969

Say I'm on this page and I happen to barely run the cursor over The Commons link but a little upwards then the Products drop down activates! That's what I'm getting at least.

• CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213
    edited December 1969

If you use the Community tab and hover over that, then Forums instead, it gives you all the forum options. That's the way I do it. :)

edited December 1969

...most likely it has to do with the fact I am on a notebook with a small display and using the touch pad which is not extremely accurate. One slight twitch (common with my arthritis) can force the cursor to momentarily "overshoot" which is probably what is causing this.

When I'm at home I need to use my USB modem to get online which, because of its width, does not allow for another device (such as a mouse or my trackball) to be plugged into the port next to it, so I am stuck with having to use the touchpad.

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid: You should look into one of those little USB Hub things.... I forget the exact name. It plugs into an empty USB slot and has a little hub with extra usb slots. I bought one about a year ago at a Target store (they had them with the computer and laptop stuff) for about $12 and it had 4 ports. There was another for $15-20 with more ports (8, I think). They are cheap, handy and would be worth looking into :)

edited December 1969

...as long as the ports are far enough apart to accommodate both the modem and my trackball that would work.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...most likely it has to do with the fact I am on a notebook with a small display and using the touch pad which is not extremely accurate. One slight twitch (common with my arthritis) can force the cursor to momentarily "overshoot" which is probably what is causing this.

When I'm at home I need to use my USB modem to get online which, because of its width, does not allow for another device (such as a mouse or my trackball) to be plugged into the port next to it, so I am stuck with having to use the touchpad.

Why not get a powered USB hub? You can get one pretty cheap these days. I got one for under $10 at buy.com a couple years ago and it works great. I use my Logitech MX Revolution mouse with it (wireless USB receiver, best wireless desktop tool I've ever had). Being powered, the hub won't drain energy from your laptop.

Dana

edited December 1969

I see I wasn't the first to suggest this. :red:

Dana

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

Hehe, except you idea was better. The one I have doesn't have an AC plug and draws power from the computer itself.

The USB modem.... is it a dialup one or one that runs off the cell signals? We tried one of those here once when I friend let us see if it would work where I live but it was a Virgin and we don't get a signal for them anywhere until your already in town :( I forget how big the modem was, but the 4-port one should work but there is always the larger ones. I think the 8-port one had 2 rows which would make spacing easier perhaps too :) The stores around here carry them in the electronics sections sort of where you find the laptop stuff and various extra usb cables to buy. You should be able to see if they'll work just by looking at them and they are fairly cheap and very handy. Too many things run off USB now days LoL

edited December 1969

There's also a "squid" USB hub with the ports on short cables for exactly that problem.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited December 1969

So are there any others that can't get Plantinum Club to work? No access to Members Only and no PC items? Anybody know what the deal is?

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    So are there any others that can't get Plantinum Club to work? No access to Members Only and no PC items? Anybody know what the deal is?

Log out. If you have forums open in a separate tab from your account or store, log out on both pages before refreshing either. Then log in to your account. Let us know if that helps. I know that every time I click a link from a newsletter to the store, I'm not logged in. It's really annoying.

Dana

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

Your profile isn't showing you as being a PC member -- you'll need to open a support ticket to get it fixed

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

Your profile isn't showing you as being a PC member -- you'll need to open a support ticket to get it fixed

Thanks Dana and Mike for the advice. Before posting in here I had issued a support ticket. I am being taken care of as we speak. I was just hoping that it was a gobal thing which it seems it is not. I would really like to know why this happened so as to avoid such behavior in the future. It is rather scarry not being allowed to see the PC stuff. :ohh:

• Martin_CMartin_C Posts: 164
    edited December 1969

Just a note that I got a new bug. The shop deleted my entire wishlist by replacing it with one single new added item. I am UPSET now...

So just a quick note here, I don't want to double-post. A slightly longer and even more angry description could be found here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5495/P165/#73263

Will be a busy evening now.