Male Clothing Content Dead?

It's almost the end of year and barely any contemporary men clothing that came out in past 3-4 months and alot has been just a bunch of female clothing.  Only one that came out recent was Aran Sweater.  So sad :(

Comments

• Fungible UserFungible User Posts: 456
    edited December 2021

Yup, thinking the same. If it wasn't for the sales I don't think I would be shopping much at Daz. Every day I peek into the shop like a morning newspaper and coffee, but it lately feels like female, female, female. BUT, thankfully, there are 'other' shops and emerging vendors on 'other' sites coming out with some great products that are getting my ka-ching lately. Need to support your local male clothing vendors! (but only if they don't sell plastic pants)

- But lets not make this a thread where peeps chime in to tell us why male content doesn't sell, because that poor horse has been flogged one too many times

Post edited by Fungible User on
  • CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    I buy male clothing from other sites and stores. It's okay, because I only like the male clothing items of a few PAs here.
  • I saw Mal3imagery was working on a nicely tailored two piece suit in the Alex Capital thread a while back.   Hopefully it comes out.  

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I buy mostly male everything. Before Tafi got involved (or at least came to the foreground) Daz was making strides in getting out more male items and figures. Now, they're more female-centric than I ever can remember (and I've been a member of this site by one name or another for over 20 years). I'm totally disappointed. Female stuff may sell more, but I mean, males around here are rarer than unicorn poo.

Laurie

• AllenArt said:

I buy mostly male everything. Before Tafi got involved (or at least came to the foreground) Daz was making strides in getting out more male items and figures. Now, they're more female-centric than I ever can remember (and I've been a member of this site by one name or another for over 20 years). I'm totally disappointed. Female stuff may sell more, but I mean, males around here are rarer than unicorn poo.

Laurie

.....Counting the minutes until someone jumps in and gives us statistical rhetoric on how much male content has appeared in the shop. But, of course, just because it says 'male' doesn't make it worth as much as unicorn poo...it just ticks a box. That being said I have to say the Aran Sweater https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-aran-sweater-outfit-for-genesis-8-males was a welcome addition to the closet. 

• DandeneDandene Posts: 162

I hadn't really noticed the lack of (probably because there's often been a lack of).  I honestly skipped buying quite a few pieces due to the quality of the textures.  I've bought a ton of male figures, but very little clothing this past year. I definitely lack male clothing in my library.  

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952

Yes I was so dissapointed when they launched that Skateboard theme - and they only had female clothing to go with it. And not exactly skater clothes either. 
    Where I come from, skateboarding is an almost exclusive male sport/hobby, you see very few women performing. And I don't know how it is elsewhere, but it still surprised me that there were no male outfits included. Same for that gyro wheel, why was there no male outfit to go with it rather than some quite unrelated stuff.

One thing I've been waiting for like forever are great male androids. Most of the rigs are female, but I want the quys to make an appearance. 

I'd also love to see more steampunk outfits for men, now it's quite hopeless creating something using the same victorian outfit over and over again. Where are the Artificers for instance?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164
    edited December 2021

I buy female nothing.  I only buy male stuff.  Which is probably why I don't buy much at all anymore.  Saves me a lot of money.yes  And even when I do put clothes on my men, they use only a few favorite outfits.blush  Kinda' like actual men.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • LeatherGryphon said:

I buy female nothing.  I only buy male stuff.  Which is probably why I don't buy much at all anymore.  Saves me a lot of money.yes  And even when I do put clothes on my men, they use only a few favorite outfits.blush  Kinda' like actual men.

Do they also turn their underwear inside out to get a few more days wear out them?

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,422

so where are all these male oriented clothing shops? 

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Hyelioa said:

It's almost the end of year and barely any contemporary men clothing that came out in past 3-4 months and alot has been just a bunch of female clothing.  Only one that came out recent was Aran Sweater.  So sad :(

And the Roadworks outfit, which I find find far more useful.

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038

What about the new dForce Mouse King Cape and Accessories for Genesis 8.1 Males?  That's everyday male clothing.

• daveso said:

so where are all these male oriented clothing shops? 

I don't think anything was said about "Male-oriented shops"; all that was said was that there are newer content creators at other sites that are making male content that's not being sold here. 

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,515

empty said:

Do they also turn their underwear inside out to get a few more days wear out them?

Eww. I don't think that works the way you think it works.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799

<Obligatory "Male stuff dosen't sell" post>

• RCDeschene said:

<Obligatory "Male stuff doesn't sell as well as female stuff" correction post wink

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305

I am curious where people think all this male stuff is available. It is certainly not Rendo, which is even more female focused than this store.

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    edited December 2021

Daywalker Designs said:

RCDeschene said:

<Obligatory "Male stuff doesn't sell as well as female stuff" correction post wink

It is a circle. Or, rather a spiral.

There is not enough male content, therefore, some people, like me, buy more female content, and even have to change the course of their artwork or literary work to adapt to mostly female cast.

This sends a signal to PA's that female content sells better, resulting in them creating more female content and even less male content.

Rinse and repeat...indecision

Post edited by watchdog79 on
  • DZheng has put out at least a couple men's skimpy wear pieces over at the other store in the same span as Kaleya, lilflame, Rhiannon, etc... but that's kind of the nature of the beast.

How many polo shirts and khakis do you need, though?

I'd be more interested in non-boring, fantasy/sci-fi stuff of every variety (male, female, nonbinary, whatever). You betcha I got Luthbellina's Dystopian thing. Swordsman bundle, also a big yes for me. Ebenezer's Victorian stuff, not so much.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

For me, it is a quality problem. There are male releases, but they are often not up to par to the content that is made for the ladies. I buy most male content, but I can only use so many dforce tube shirts and short sets. I need actual fitted stuff that looks good.

I don't really want for example, women's hairstyles for men, or male figures without gens or other essentials like eyebrows. I get we all have our bugaboos, but lately, it seems men's content quality has taken a nosedive. 

That said, I appreciate artists who make actual male content as Mal3Imagery does. I can wait for that. 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305

The Blurst of Times said:

DZheng has put out at least a couple men's skimpy wear pieces over at the other store in the same span as Kaleya, lilflame, Rhiannon, etc... but that's kind of the nature of the beast.

I'd be more interested in non-boring, fantasy/sci-fi stuff of every variety (male, female, nonbinary, whatever). You betcha I got Luthbellina's Dystopian thing. Swordsman bundle, also a big yes for me. Ebenezer's Victorian stuff, not so much.

Asking the question "How many polo shirts and khakis do you need, though?" would naturally lead to the additional question of "How much skimp wear / fantasy outfits / sci suits does an artist need?". If the render is a sci-fi group on an away mission, it is not unreasonable they would all be wearing the same kind of uniform or space suit, but would you want to render a bunch of guys sat in a bar wearing the same polo shirt?

In general it is impossible to know what people want based on ones own need for content.

• Havos said:

The Blurst of Times said:

DZheng has put out at least a couple men's skimpy wear pieces over at the other store in the same span as Kaleya, lilflame, Rhiannon, etc... but that's kind of the nature of the beast.

Asking the question "How many polo shirts and khakis do you need, though?" would naturally lead to the additional question of "How much skimp wear / fantasy outfits / sci suits does an artist need?". If the render is a sci-fi group on an away mission, it is not unreasonable they would all be wearing the same kind of uniform or space suit, but would you want to render a bunch of guys sat in a bar wearing the same polo shirt?

In general it is impossible to know what people want based on ones own need for content.

Okay, fine. Then how many polo and khaki sets will the market bear? That's the more interesting question.

When the competition is dforce tubes, that does make things harder.

Daz has been putting out content for males. The 8.1 base figures were almost all male for a while until this latest one. Yes, it's been themed, but "ballet" isn't everyday wear either.

The themes haven't been for you? That's a situation, yes... but there's new content out there even if it's not khakis and polos. I think the longevity of the Genesis 8 figure is at least part of the problem, along with the aforementioned quality/dforce tubes concerns.

/(IMO, a bunch of bros in khakis and polos in a bar? It's more likely they'll be carbon cutouts. Polos and khakis aren't exactly going to vary a ton by their nature.)

• mal3Imagerymal3Imagery Posts: 709
    edited December 2021

For those who been waiting for the two piece suit I been working on.  There were issues in trying to setup the suit and has been very difficult to try to get it sim and look good as well in conforming.  It's still work in progress and I'm sorry for those who are waiting for it.  The suit will probably come out next year, but here are some early christmas gift sneak peeks of it in progress.

Suit Test 1.jpg
    2264 x 1865 - 250K
    Suit Test 2.jpg
    2291 x 1764 - 280K
    Post edited by mal3Imagery on
  • Torquinox said:

empty said:

Eww. I don't think that works the way you think it works.

Ha Ha, no I get it...it was just to get a reaction....and it worked. But I'm sure that even Daz guys get lazy. (wink wink)

• Fungible UserFungible User Posts: 456
    edited December 2021

I do try to support vendors who sell good quality men's cloting, but I don't really do contemporary renders....alas, the aran sweater was more of a favorite due to my love for those particular sweaters. I proabably sound like a broken record, but what I want clothes for men to do is open and close, and be as sexy as women's clothing. I'm tired of seeing shirts done up to the neck, pants that don't unzip (even just a little). Construction workers uniforms that don't unzip to the navel..etc..etc. It's like all the guys on Daz are church goers whilst the females are all privy to wild abandon. I do really like Dzheng stuff on rendo because it gives you morphs like the old genesis stuff used to do. It's not all skimpy stuff, and if you buy textures they are a treasure trove. It brings 'sexy back' to males. I have more than my fair share of t-shirts, sirts and suits that I NEVER use. The only result I have for men's clothing these days is to bring them into Marvelous Designer and hope I can do something with them to make them appear at least less stiff and a bit more appealing or inspiring. I think the last time I saw anything remotely appealing in menswear on Daz was the shirt from this set:https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-viking-blacksmith-outfit-and-props-for-genesis-8-male. It's 2021 people.

Post edited by Fungible User on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,350

There is only so much you can do for men's clothing. Women's clothing is open season because there are so many thing you can do for a female. That is why the female clothing section in stores is 3x as big as the men's. In reality men's clothing hasn't sold well at all since the times of V4 and M4 which is why it's very sporadic. A lot of us PA's do this for a living so naturally they are going to make what sells. Nobody has the time to waste 3 months or longer on an outfit that is only going to sell 50 units. With the sales being the way they are, we now have to sell almost double to make the same money which is very hard to do no matter who you are. Most renders you see throughout almost everywhere are aliens, scifi and women. I'm outright ticked because my mens library is anorexic for everyday clothing. Got plenty of fantasy stuff but nothing for the everyday situations. Just a normal pair of pants that unzip, unbutton, or hanging belts would be nice on the occasion and a variety of t-shirts that are more than flood filled textures with normal maps attached to it to give some depth. It would take PA's who do this as a hobby and have a regular full time job that don't have as much to lose on a flop. But, I'm with most of you here. I want more male related attire.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited December 2021

For as little as their is for men out there, I do have to hand it to Mada...when she does make a male outfit, it's usually a really good one.

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-naval-uniform-for-genesis-8-males

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-corsican-raider-outfit-for-genesis-8-and-81-males

https://www.daz3d.com/streetscape-outfit-for-genesis-8-males

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-house-brownie-outfit-for-genesis-8-males

Luthbel and Luthbellina are also standouts. I realize the reason they aren't as prolific - when you put more effort into something, it takes longer ;). I just wish Luthbel stuff had more morphs, but I suffer thru...lol. So, a big thank you to those who DO make male outfits semi-regularly...we appreciate it.

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • AllenArt said:

For as little as their is for men out there, I do have to hand it to Mada...when she does make a male outfit, it's usually a really good one.

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-naval-uniform-for-genesis-8-males

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-corsican-raider-outfit-for-genesis-8-and-81-males

https://www.daz3d.com/streetscape-outfit-for-genesis-8-males

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-house-brownie-outfit-for-genesis-8-males

Luthbel and Luthbellina are also standouts. I realize the reason they aren't as prolific - when you put more effort into something, it takes longer ;). I just wish Luthbel stuff had more morphs, but I suffer thru...lol. So, a big thank you to those who DO make male outfits semi-regularly...we appreciate it.

I wish Luthbel could update this to G8 with dForce. That would be a great addition for G8M clothing. 

https://www.daz3d.com/eldritch-seeker

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 2021

Hera said:

Yes I was so dissapointed when they launched that Skateboard theme - and they only had female clothing to go with it. And not exactly skater clothes either. 
    Where I come from, skateboarding is an almost exclusive male sport/hobby, you see very few women performing. And I don't know how it is elsewhere, but it still surprised me that there were no male outfits included. Same for that gyro wheel, why was there no male outfit to go with it rather than some quite unrelated stuff.

...yeah I wonder about that myself given the skate community where I live is primarily male.

I wish they just would have made the Gyro Wheel it's own separate prop as I see guys on them regularly here as well.  Rather popular in Portland.

empty said:

LeatherGryphon said:

...that would be a fun morph. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138

For those who been waiting for the two piece suit I been working on.  There were issues in trying to setup the suit and has been very difficult to try to get it sim and look good as well in conforming.  It's still work in progress and I'm sorry for those who are waiting for it.  The suit will probably come out next year, but here are some early christmas gift sneak peeks of it in progress.

@mal3Imagery I am all for conforming clothing that looks good without simulation needed. So please take your time as most of us don't mind you needing some more time for another masterpiece