Daz Studio 4.16

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    edited November 2021

There is a new "Metamixer Toolkit". $9.95 for non-DAZ+ and free with DAZ+ and purchase of a "New Release" in the same shopping cart. Or at least I had to add a New Release to make the MetaMixer free. I haven't tried it yet but it looks super helpful.

I have got something really unexpected from the DAZ Studio Pro 4.16.1.2 Public Beta, which I suppose is the same as the DAZ Studio Pro 4.16.1.2 Release, when rendering the new DAZ 3D product: 

I have a scene that uses a Genesis 8.1 Male model that I was CPU (32GB system RAM on a Ryzen 7 5700G APU) rendering in iRay at 2K in the Woodman House Bedroom. It was working fine.

Then, the only thing I changed was I added the Ebeneezer Scrooge Victorian nightclothes to the Genesis 8.1 Male character and boom, I leave the render running for an hour, no DAZ Studio crashes, but nothing ever gets drawn on the rendering image in the popup?

+++++

OK, it took some repeated tries to find out what was it that I was adding to my scene that keeps it from rendering without drawing any pixels, writing to the canvas, or crashing DAZ Studio and I found out it is not the nightclothing but when I add the candle prop that comes with the nightclothes that this bug happens. Totally unexpected that that would be the cause. 

Request #394627

DAZ CS is already looking and didn't have a problem. Probably because they develop and test using nVidia RTX 3090 24GB GPUs and I render using CPU rendering with an AMD Ryzen 7 5700G APU. I sent them my scene though.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • I'm glad I have all you'uns out there to test the waters.  Given the "it's slow" situation, I guess I'll stay dry for a while with my old version.indecision  Apparently coming out of "Beta" doesn't appear to mean what it used to.frown

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

Since I can't even use DS4.15 without immediate crashing with a 1080 ti, I'm sticking to DS 4.14 Beta which is the last usable version for me.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,014
    edited November 2021

daveso said:

can i just nake a separate install for this new version and keep 4.15? 

You could install the beta for that version rather than the general release.

edit: I just saw that the beta and general release are not the same version, contrary to what I initially thought.

Post edited by Leana on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,414

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7156981/#Comment_7156981

• Selecting a figure will now cause PowerPose to display the 'default' Template of a given Template Set (if defined) when said Template Set does not contain a Template that is named identically to the currently selected Template of the previously selected figure
    • If a figure was not previously selected, the 'default' Template of a given Template Set (if defined) will be displayed if said Template Set does not contain a Template that is named identically to the global default

I thought I understood english, but that goes over my head... 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

I see all the HD addons for G8 core figures are updated today. If I don't plan to use DS 4.16 should I still update? How are they updated?

• UHFUHF Posts: 512

What?  They are changing all the fiigures?  Is there a list of changes?  I don't allow Daz to auto destroy my content.  Ever.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,414
    edited November 2021

Wonderland said:

I see all the HD addons for G8 core figures are updated today. If I don't plan to use DS 4.16 should I still update? How are they updated?

Maybe related to this

https://www.daz3d.com/introducing-metamixer-toolkit

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,049
    edited November 2021
    daveso said:

can i just nake a separate install for this new version and keep 4.15? 

I can't see why not. I installed 4.10 into a directory called 'DS4.10', 4.11 into a directory called 'DS4.11', 4.12 into a directory called 'DS4.12', same for 4.14 and 4.15. All different versions work. All show the correct splash screen, all crash -or not- where the correctly running version should. dForce kernels recompile every time I use a different version, as it should. All versions use the same content Library and initial settings (stored in registry) so.. yep. You should be able to do it. Unless 4.16 looks for, and deliberately kills 4.15 on installation - unlikely I hope. Ought to mention, I only ever manual install. Stuff goes where I decide, not where DIM or other stuff decides.

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • Gemini QueenGemini Queen Posts: 263
    edited November 2021

I just re-opened Daz after it froze up on me. I have yet to notice anything that's terribly wrong, I have noticed that when I try to use a lot of the parameters sliders or the universal toll in the viewport, the program will freeze up more often. Hopefully, this will be fixed in coming days/weeks. 

Edit - Everything is slow. Adding a prop? It takes about 10 -20 seconds now when before it was almost instant. Changing it Iray mode/view? That took almost 3 minutes for a very basic scene. This morning before the update, that same scene took about 20 something seconds to start showing anything. Maybe I just need to hard restart the computer or something, but it's dirt slow now. I'm talking can't move anything in parameters without there being a 5 - 7 delay with everything. Gonna shut down the computer and see if that helps. 

Post edited by Gemini Queen on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

AllenArt said:

So far, I'm getting REALLY red skin, but seems to be remedied by halving the translucence. It's still a little red, but is fixed by putting a very faint green tint in the white point area of the tonemapping. I really like the acescg specular render mode so far. As for render times being longer, I just got a new (to me) system with a Quadro P-6000 24 gig video card, so it's ALL faster for me right now. LOL

Image: 1500 samples, 30 minutes, no post. 1500 x 1875

...the skins on my characters come out dark brown, even fair skinned ones. 

• margrave said:

ragamuffin57 said:

Well that's me stumped then laughI will have to wait until some of our more learned technological  forum members can break it down into layman's bite-sized pieces 

I will google ACES the Academy Color Encoding System. Looks like it is something that i should consider trying to understand

I don't think it can be broken down, honestly. XYZ color space is, like, modulating the waveform of color wavelengths by using "X" as an envelope basis, or something like that. It's extremely scientific.

Here's a video about color profiles in Blender. It's outdated (Filmic was integrated into Blender years ago) but as far as laymans' explanations go, it's pretty good.

The Secret Ingredient to Photorealism - YouTube

Thank you margrave laugh

• Havos said:

ragamuffin57 said:

Possible dumb questions but can anyone tell me if there is anything new on the toolbar or drop-down menus? 

I have a lot of dforce stuff I call it stuff because for me have not been able to get many pieces to drape correctly explosions or horrendous simulation times.  So went off and started using Marvelous designer.

Today on the new beta I saw a tab dynamic clothing with details of drape collide, single frame and animation. Has this tab always been there ? because i can only remember the simulation tab But as mentioned have been learning MD and so have not taken much notice of dforce for a while?

Are there any changes to what to previous studio releases and where can we find the volume pane or tab?

I have not installed 4.16, but I suspect the dynamic clothing tab you are looking at is for the old style dynamic clothing that still works, but only for a very limited set of items that were designed to work with it. So yes, that tab has been here for a while already.

Thanks, Havos  as i said dforce was not letting me play so hardly ever looked at much relating to dforce perhaps i will dust off  one or two dforce items and see how they play nicely now

• MoogooMoogoo Posts: 136

Not noticed it being any slower than before and everything seems normal.

But maybe I am the wrong person to ask if things are normal.

funny.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

So far, this release sounds like a dumpster fire. I'm not touching it.

• Really dark skin or bright red? I would panick if the skin I use all the time looks wrong, as I have no idea on what values to change to get it to look normal. I will follow this thread closely, to see if this skin issue get resolved, would appreciate some updates on this skin tones heart.  The mixer thing, w character creation, is that only for base characters? if so then there is no reason to download that as I very rarely buy those, Thanks in advance for a reply on these issues heart

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Nope. Not gonna touch that one with a 10 foot pole.

...considering I work primarily with Skin Builder Pro and  Skin Builder2, and it takes time to create a skin that I feel works for a certain character as I have to test it in different lighting conditions, not about to start from square one again, particularly the albino character as getting a proper looking albino skin is not easy.

Same goes for hair colour created with UHT2 as I also make minor adjustments using the Base Colour, Diffuse Overlay, and/or Translucency channels.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,121

Just downloaded the beta, updated my driver, threw a character into a scene, rendered, and tried some posing.

Everything seems perfectly fine.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

kyoto kid said:

AllenArt said:

So far, I'm getting REALLY red skin, but seems to be remedied by halving the translucence. It's still a little red, but is fixed by putting a very faint green tint in the white point area of the tonemapping. I really like the acescg specular render mode so far. As for render times being longer, I just got a new (to me) system with a Quadro P-6000 24 gig video card, so it's ALL faster for me right now. LOL

Image: 1500 samples, 30 minutes, no post. 1500 x 1875

Mine did too. I had to fool with the shader, lighting and white point a bit. 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,422

how can i dl 4.16 and install manually? I see no way to "purchase " it. it seems to only point to download of DAZCentral, which I don;t want. 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,314
    edited November 2021

daveso said:

how can i dl 4.16 and install manually? I see no way to "purchase " it. it seems to only point to download of DAZCentral, which I don;t want. 

Go to Daz Studio 4.x Pro in your product library to find the manual downloads 

ETA: It is also available as a product update in DIM

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    edited November 2021

AllenArt said:

kyoto kid said:

...this is what I got (she is supposed to be an albino) the hair is also supposed ot be stark white. All the sliders for the environment, tone mapping and character are where they are supposed to be, and I don't go near the Shader Mixer as my comment above is a very apt description of what it looks like to me

Tracey 4-16 test.jpg
    933 x 1200 - 226K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited November 2021

kyoto kid said:

AllenArt said:

kyoto kid said:

...this is what I got (she is supposed to be an albino) the hair is also supposed ot be stark white. All the sliders for the environment, tone mapping and character are where they are supposed to be, and I don't go near the Shader Mixer as my comment above is a very apt description of what it looks like to me

How high is the translucence. Most of the Genesis 8 are above .8. The Gen 3's are in the .6x I believe. Try bringing it down a little. Not sure why it's so gray. Mine was dark brown.

FWIW, I knew one day all the skin shaders would have to be adjusted. NO human skin is .90% translucent and most of the 8's are set there. Even .65% is too high. It's .40 at MOST, and even that is stretching it.

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • kyoto kid said:

AllenArt said:

kyoto kid said:

And this was working in 4.15.0.30? They have the same version of Iray.

• Why don't we all pick base G8 and render it to see what happens?

...she's actually G3, I just posed the arms at 45% down position to fit in the frame. Loaded the character into 4.15 and the Translucency Weight is .5 . Comes up the same in 4.16.with the same translucency colour setting.

In the render settings, 4.16 has a setting for "White Mode" which 4.15 doesn't have. There's also a channel titled Exclude From White Mode in the surfaces tab.

So the skin colour should render the same in both versions.   

...ugh, yet another gateway error at the Host end, this is getting ridiculous.

• Gemini QueenGemini Queen Posts: 263
    edited November 2021

I haven't noticed any of my figures mis-rendering as others have, but I did notice something after my restart - Daz won't function well in heavy scenes anymore. It's almost as if the program is behaving as if it was on my older computer (it wasn't meant for gaming/designing, had 2 GB of ram, etc). When I opened up a blank scene and attempted to move the parameters/powerpose, it worked just fine. But when I load more objects in the scene, reload some of my old ones, the system acts as if I don't have enough RAM anymore/goes really slow like it can't process it. 

Obviously I'm still saving up for a better computer, but for the moment, I'm still blaming it on the new update. It was working fine in the heavy scenes this morning and all afternoon. It stopped working smooth right after the update, so there's that. Think there's any troubleshooting for it though? Cause I know more people are having issues with their figures not rendering properly vs. the system slowing down. Any help on this would be great. I'll also check out the technical help forums to see if there's anything in there about it slowing down. 

Edit - So far, all of the scenes actually work fine, it's just the heaviest one that won't load well. Still weird. 

Post edited by Gemini Queen on
    edited November 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

kyoto kid said:

AllenArt said:

kyoto kid said:

And this was working in 4.15.0.30? They have the same version of Iray.

...yes, on the 4.16 thread in the Daz Studio Discussion forum  I attached .jpgs of render tests using the same character in both versions. In 4.15 she's fine, in 4.16, I get the dark skin colour and greyed out hair. if both use the same version of Iray then why the newer driver requirement?  4.15.0.30 required the minimum driver release 451.48, 4.6.1.2 states in the Beta Highlights thread  it requires 471.41 (or newer) for GPU rendering in the  I have a newer driver than that installed..

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,219
    edited November 2021

Test G8  basic female on 4.16 Will someone do a G8 female on 4.15

Test.png
    2000 x 3236 - 7M
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on