Daz Studio 4.16

Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,314
edited November 2021 in The Commons

The new Daz Studio 4.16 just showed up in DIM. Has anybody tried it ?  Is it working OK for them? What were your experiences with it?

I just downloaded and installed it on my older  3GHz Athlon II x4 640 machine with a GTX 970 and 16 GB system memory. It is so slow that using it seems almost impossible. I am currently updating my GPU driver. I hope that helps. If not I am a bit hesitant to install it on my main computer.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

...um, that doesn't sound good for old hardware like I have.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,314
    edited November 2021

OK I installed the latest nVida driver and for simple scenes that fit the 4 GB VRAM rendering speeds are ok; but switching tabs is still painstakenly slow. Any suggestions?

Also, if I install it on my  man computer (4GHz i7, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080 Ti) will I still have probleems ?

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • It is very slow!  I just upgraded, and what I had just been working with in the previous version, the opening of that file and Save As to another file is so much slower.  Looks like almost triple the time from the previous version :-(  Haven't tried rendering yet.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

Oh... That doesn't sound good...

If anyone is using an AMD CPU (Radeon), I'd like to know how it's working. Please? 

edited November 2021

...well I'm out as to render in Iray on the GPU requires a driver not available for W7 (final W7 driver update was 471.12).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Is it possible to revert back to the previous version?

edited November 2021

...as long as you have the installer for it saved.  I back up all my installers as I tend to mess around with beta releases. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,416

kyoto kid said:

...well I'm out as to render in Iray on the GPU requires a driver not available for W7 (final W7 driver update was 471.12).

The last one is 472.12

NvidiaW7.JPG
    701 x 534 - 81K
    edited November 2021

...ach, just looked at my driver downlad backup folder and you're right.  Tired old eyes that need new glasses. 

I've been downloading new driver releases since August because of the impending cutoff.  Apparenly I missed downloading 471.41.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,416

kyoto kid said:

...ach, just looked at my driver downlad backup folder and you're right.  Tired old eyes that need new glasses. 

I've been downloading new driver releases since August because of the impending cutoff  Never came across 471.41 so that must be a Studio Driver.

The old drivers don't disappear anywhere. 

NvidiaW72.JPG
    602 x 449 - 52K
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

Hm. Before I upgrade, I'll watch this thread and see if there are any other reports. There was a complaint about this in the Beta thread, as well.

edited November 2021

PerttiA said:

kyoto kid said:

I've been downloading new driver releases since August because of the impending cutoff  Never came across 471.41 so that must be a Studio Driver.

The old drivers don't disappear anywhere. 

...just wanted to make sure I had the latest ones available ahead of time as we were coming up on the deadline and I regularly watch the release threads. 

Also corrected the comment concerning  471.41.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,979

So far seems working alright for me although I am sporting a new video card.. Scene loading seems to be about the same, though again depending on what is in the scene..

• I better save my zips, sadly only have beta zip to save but guess I can zip up the last release build I grabbed myself

...yeah, to test it I'll have to let it overwrite my 4.11 beta but again I have the installer for it to roll back if 4.16 is as buggy as some are saying. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

I'm CPU renderings, since I have an integrated AMD Vega 8 GPU in that AMD Ryzen 7 5700G CPU & I've just upgraded and am rendering and it does seem slower, but I'm not sure. The render already looks different, only 18 iterations in...

edited November 2021

...just did a some render tests of a couple characters in the 4.16 beta, Rendered fast on the old Titan-X, but all the skin tones come out dark brown and the hair darker as well for some reason.  Clothing and props look fine.  For he hair I used Slosh's UHT 2 Hair Shaders and skin Zev0's Skin Builder 2. Really don't want to have to build those skins form scratch again (particularly for the albino character).

Also there was considerable lag in manipulating parameter sliders.

One thing I did notice was there is no 4.16 Essentials file.

• Possible dumb questions but can anyone tell me if there is anything new on the toolbar or drop-down menus? 

I have a lot of dforce stuff I call it stuff because for me have not been able to get many pieces to drape correctly explosions or horrendous simulation times.  So went off and started using Marvelous designer.

Today on the new beta I saw a tab dynamic clothing with details of drape collide, single frame and animation. Has this tab always been there ? because i can only remember the simulation tab But as mentioned have been learning MD and so have not taken much notice of dforce for a while?

Are there any changes to what to previous studio releases and where can we find the volume pane or tab?

• ragamuffin57ragamuffin57 Posts: 132
    edited November 2021

Will be interesting whether we will have any documentation on any of the new features i love Spectral and render all my scenes in what was faithful 1964 but now we have xyz, rec709, rec2020, aces and acescg all having different outcomes to the render. So are we going to have changes to the surface pane to correspond with the new rendering options in spectral  be nice to know from Daz what the new render options are designed for

Post edited by ragamuffin57 on
  • Hmm.. I don't think I'll be using this any time soon, but does anyone know what new features are included in this version?

• ecks201ecks201 Posts: 439
    edited November 2021

colongraphics said:

Hmm.. I don't think I'll be using this any time soon, but does anyone know what new features are included in this version?

The biggest thing I can see in the change log is "Update to dForce 1.5.0.1"

Post edited by ecks201 on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724

Did a quick test by rendering a small scene multiple times in 4.15.0.30 before upgrading, then doing the same after upgrading.  4.16 was about 15% faster (1:06 vs 1:15) every time.  Driver is the latest Studio driver 472.47.

• colongraphics colongraphics Posts: 78
    edited November 2021

ecks201 said:

colongraphics said:

Hmm.. I don't think I'll be using this any time soon, but does anyone know what new features are included in this version?

The biggest thing I can see in the change log is "Update to dForce 1.5.0.1"

I'm not sure that warrants another designation for version control--it seems more of an update to 4.15-- but to each their own. Maybe the dForce was significant enough to warrant a new designation, but I'll leave that to the dForce power users.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,305

ragamuffin57 said:

Possible dumb questions but can anyone tell me if there is anything new on the toolbar or drop-down menus? 

I have a lot of dforce stuff I call it stuff because for me have not been able to get many pieces to drape correctly explosions or horrendous simulation times.  So went off and started using Marvelous designer.

Today on the new beta I saw a tab dynamic clothing with details of drape collide, single frame and animation. Has this tab always been there ? because i can only remember the simulation tab But as mentioned have been learning MD and so have not taken much notice of dforce for a while?

Are there any changes to what to previous studio releases and where can we find the volume pane or tab?

I have not installed 4.16, but I suspect the dynamic clothing tab you are looking at is for the old style dynamic clothing that still works, but only for a very limited set of items that were designed to work with it. So yes, that tab has been here for a while already.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Will be interesting whether we will have any documentation on any of the new features i love Spectral and render all my scenes in what was faithful 1964 but now we have xyz, rec709, rec2020, aces and acescg all having different outcomes to the render. So are we going to have changes to the surface pane to correspond with the new rendering options in spectral  be nice to know from Daz what the new render options are designed for

ACES is the Academy Color Encoding System, a Hollywood standard color space. It's what many people endorse as the most accurate for that filmic look. The others are industry standard terms, so you should be able to Google them, but they're very technical so they probably won't mean anything to a layperson.

• This is essentially 4.15.0.30 with the addition of a new plug-in for powerPose that allows more customisation of the templates used - the version of iray and othr featues have not chnaged at all (it doesn't include the stuff from the previous Public beta as there were clearly issues with that vesion of Iray).

• ragamuffin57ragamuffin57 Posts: 132
    edited November 2021

margrave said:

ragamuffin57 said:

ACES is the Academy Color Encoding System, a Hollywood standard color space. It's what many people endorse as the most accurate for that filmic look. The others are industry standard terms, so you should be able to Google them, but they're very technical so they probably won't mean anything to a layperson.

Well that's me stumped then laughI will have to wait until some of our more learned technological  forum members can break it down into layman's bite-sized pieces 

I will google ACES the Academy Color Encoding System. Looks like it is something that i should consider trying to understand

Post edited by ragamuffin57 on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited November 2021

So far, I'm getting REALLY red skin, but seems to be remedied by halving the translucence. It's still a little red, but is fixed by putting a very faint green tint in the white point area of the tonemapping. I really like the acescg specular render mode so far. As for render times being longer, I just got a new (to me) system with a Quadro P-6000 24 gig video card, so it's ALL faster for me right now. LOL

Image: 1500 samples, 30 minutes, no post. 1500 x 1875

Ichabod.jpg
    1500 x 1875 - 2M
    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

ragamuffin57 said:

Well that's me stumped then laughI will have to wait until some of our more learned technological  forum members can break it down into layman's bite-sized pieces 

I will google ACES the Academy Color Encoding System. Looks like it is something that i should consider trying to understand

I don't think it can be broken down, honestly. XYZ color space is, like, modulating the waveform of color wavelengths by using "X" as an envelope basis, or something like that. It's extremely scientific.

Here's a video about color profiles in Blender. It's outdated (Filmic was integrated into Blender years ago) but as far as laymans' explanations go, it's pretty good.

The Secret Ingredient to Photorealism - YouTube

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,422

can i just nake a separate install for this new version and keep 4.15?