Daz Studio 4.16

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited December 2021

Wonderland said:

Kgfdamron1 said:

DIM is showing DS 4.16 as available to download, along with some other updates. I would be updating from DS 4.14 (which I've been enjoying immensely); would there be an issue with updating from such an old version?

Depends what graphics card you have. I have a 1080ti and even 4.15 was unusable for me. Crashed every time I used iRay preview, I went back to 4.14 beta which is the only usable version for me. I still have to lower the subD on many G 8.1 characters or it crashes and also most strand based dforce hair makes it crash. It’s getting harder for me to use new content and new versions of DS are unusable so I guess Daz is moving more towards users with only the highest end computers. I keep downloading the newest NVIDIA studio drivers but that doesn’t help. You definitely need a graphics card higher than a 1080ti.

...interesting I have the next older generation Titan-X and no crashes using preview mode or even running a quick render test while in Iray Preview. However, I primarily use G3.and often create my own skins with Zec0's Skin Builder.

I have no issue with dForce clothing (just takes a while) and even was able to get Primavera Hair ( which is cloth, not strand based) to sim without crashing after substituting and tweaking Slosh's UHT2 Hair shaders.

Uninstalled the 4.16 beta until the next update is released (which hopefully will fix the Thin Coat bug I run into with custom skins).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 2021

marble said:

And there I was, almost convinced that it was safe to update until I read your experieces. So no - not a chance I will move away from 4.15 until DAZ fix 4.16. 

And it just crashed on me again for just selecting an item in Scene and hitting delete. This version is a PIECE OF GARBAGE. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    edited December 2021

Novica said:

You can see my computer specs in my signature. It's really great so far as performance. (Four characters, four hairs, four outfits, a large scene usually takes thirty to forty five minutes at 99% convergence with pretty much unlimited time and samples set)   

So....What would normally take 25 to 45 minutes is now taking a couple hours using this version. It has also crashed several times, and that's with shutting down the computer completely so it's "refreshed."  Also, how would you like this experience?

1. A render took NINE HOURS
    2. You then click the folder to designate another folder and POOF the render disappears. 
    3. In the studio, Save Last Render is grayed out. You've lost nine hours of rendering.
    4. You render again and take it to 70 percent because you don't have 9 hours to waste.
    5. When you hit cancel, IT DISAPPEARS.
    6. You render again and let it run all night because you can't stop it or you'll lose it. You save it in whatever folder it's in just to be safe.

Yeah, LOVE this 4.16 version. It takes four times to render, and stopping a render is risky. The Save Last Render grays out on you, and yada yada yada. I didn't choose this version, when that new tool was introduced, I installed it in DIM, it required 4.16 and wiped out my 4.15 without me choosing this version. Ticked me off royally. 

Not for a 9 hour render, I am for a little less in the scenes [laptop] but today yeah. I will second that stopping a render is risky. Using the catalyst converter, that [I gathered] objected to something in the render request and crashed the program real fast a few times. At one point I tried to stop the render while I had 'something' passable ... and everything froze ... used Task Manager to get the computer back. Then a message from D/S appeared claiming it need some OpenGL version claiming mine was on older one???? really... So then I went to check the nVidia console and lo and behold it claimed there was NO connected nVidia card!!! So I rebooted the computer, everything working again. Checked at the nVidia website and yes, laptop is up-to-date with all its shots so ??? what gives. Eventually I was able to render the scene using 3 passes and gluing them together in PaintShopPro. Subjects were the Moose female with the calf and the Pine Forest. A little heavy with the memory but still, disconnecting the card drivers??!!! That's a first over here.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,167

marble said:

Novica said:

You can see my computer specs in my signature. It's really great so far as performance. (Four characters, four hairs, four outfits, a large scene usually takes thirty to forty five minutes at 99% convergence with pretty much unlimited time and samples set)   

So....What would normally take 25 to 45 minutes is now taking a couple hours using this version. It has also crashed several times, and that's with shutting down the computer completely so it's "refreshed."  Also, how would you like this experience?

2. You then click the folder to designate another folder and POOF the render disappears. 
    3. In the studio, Save Last Render is grayed out. You've lost nine hours of rendering.
    4. You render again and take it to 70 percent because you don't have 9 hours to waste.
    6. You render again and let it run all night because you can't stop it or you'll lose it. You save it in whatever folder it's in just to be safe.

Yeah, LOVE this 4.16 version. It takes four times to render, and stopping a render is risky. The Save Last Render grays out on you, and yada yada yada. I didn't choose this version, when that new tool was introduced, I installed it in DIM, it required 4.16 and wiped out my 4.15 without me choosing this version. Ticked me off royally. 

And there I was, almost convinced that it was safe to update until I read your experieces. So no - not a chance I will move away from 4.15 until DAZ fix 4.16. 

And yet, some people (like me) have experienced no issues with the new version. Just back up your current install, download the new version and give it a try. Worst case scenario is that you wasted a little bit of time.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Gordig said:

marble said:

Novica said:

And yet, some people (like me) have experienced no issues with the new version. Just back up your current install, download the new version and give it a try. Worst case scenario is that you wasted a little bit of time.

I'm wondering whether the problems are mainly with the beta or the General Release. But then, some of the desireables would probably be in the beta whereas the GR is almost entirely 4.15 isn't it? 

..so is this happening with the 4.16.0.3 version or the 4.16.1.2 beta?

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I'm not having any issues with the 4.16 General release. At least not on my desktop (which has 24 gigs of video and 256 gigs of system ram). I'm too chickens**t to try it on my 16 gig system/6 gig gfx laptop. LOL

edited December 2021

...ahh however the General still uses the same version of Iray that 4.15 uses.  The reason I downloaded the beta was to test the new version of Iray which as you may have seen in a couple other of my posts didn't go all too well. Will wait for the update.when it happens.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732

kyoto kid said:

..so is this happening with the 4.16.0.3 version or the 4.16.1.2 beta?

Good question - so far I've had no issues with 4.16.0.3, it even seems to render a little faster than 4.15.0.30. 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732

AllenArt said:

I'm not having any issues with the 4.16 General release. At least not on my desktop (which has 24 gigs of video and 256 gigs of system ram). I'm too chickens**t to try it on my 16 gig system/6 gig gfx laptop. LOL

Works fine here with 8 GB RAM and a GTX 1070 8 GB. 

• vagansvagans Posts: 422

Catherine3678ab said:

marble said:

Catherine3678ab said:

nonesuch00 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Hay! Clear Animation FINALLY WORKS!!!!  Thank you :-)

What do you mean by "Clear Animation"?

The option to clear animation, you know, animation on the timeline for the figure. Usually nothing would work and I would have to delete the figure and load a new figure to continue working.

Sometimes one needs to check the figure ... or the selected items if they are props.

Anyhow, it works. :-)

Maybe I'm getting a bit mixed up here but do you mean it is now possible to clear the timeline? I do hope so because that has been a long standing request from me (and, yes, I did log a ticket).  At the moment I have to select all keyframes, delete them and then reduce the number of frames to one, save the scene and reload ... such a PITA.

Yes Marble, one click, poof. It's SO nice :-)  {it might take a few option clicks to find the one that works for the situation but I was very happily surprized to have it work the first time I used it from the Timeline hamburger menu}

Just to clarify myself, does this mean clearing all animation up until the current frame you have selected, keeping the current frame and all posing as it is? Because that's what I really want and have never been able to figure out how to do. The workflow in this regard is to use animation timeline for dforce manipulation and then stick with the final result, removing all the timeline up until that point.

• gfdamron1gfdamron1 Posts: 146
    edited December 2021

As to 4.16.0.3, I continue to not have any issues. In fact, it runs noticeably faster on my PC than 4.14. I installed it using DIM, and the process went smoothly.  After the installation was complete I restarted the computer, opened DAZ  and started using the program as normal.

I think some people are reporting on issues with the beta releases rather than the general release. I'm not sure about this, as it's hard to keep track of which version is being discussed.

Post edited by gfdamron1 on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

gfdamron1 said:

As to 4.16.0.3, I continue to not have any issues. In fact, it runs noticeably faster on my PC than 4.14. I installed it using DIM, and the process went smoothly.  After the installation was complete I restarted the computer, opened DAZ  and started using the program as normal.

I think some people are reporting on issues with the beta releases rather than the general release. I'm not sure about this, as it's hard to keep track of which version is being discussed.

It is hard to keep track. The general release works fine for me, but the beta definitely has "issues" LOL. 

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 2021

I can open scenes that I saved using Daz Studio 4.15.  The only issue is that version 4.16 couldn't find some skin textures for a character (Julie for Genesis 1, I think).  I had to delete her and load her again.  Victoria 4 and older characters loaded without any issues.  Images render fine in 3Delight.  I haven't tried Iray renderer yet.  I'm using an Intel core I5 8th generation processor.

Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited December 2021

vagans said:

Catherine3678ab said:

marble said:

Catherine3678ab said:

nonesuch00 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

The option to clear animation, you know, animation on the timeline for the figure. Usually nothing would work and I would have to delete the figure and load a new figure to continue working.

Sometimes one needs to check the figure ... or the selected items if they are props.

Maybe I'm getting a bit mixed up here but do you mean it is now possible to clear the timeline? I do hope so because that has been a long standing request from me (and, yes, I did log a ticket).  At the moment I have to select all keyframes, delete them and then reduce the number of frames to one, save the scene and reload ... such a PITA.

Yes Marble, one click, poof. It's SO nice :-)  {it might take a few option clicks to find the one that works for the situation but I was very happily surprized to have it work the first time I used it from the Timeline hamburger menu}

Just to clarify myself, does this mean clearing all animation up until the current frame you have selected, keeping the current frame and all posing as it is? Because that's what I really want and have never been able to figure out how to do. The workflow in this regard is to use animation timeline for dforce manipulation and then stick with the final result, removing all the timeline up until that point.

This is a great question. Selecting a frame and isolating it from the rest of the timeline (removing the animation, in other words) is something I have also asked about before and it is always on my wish-list for improvements to DAZ Studio, If that is now working I will be very, very pleased. I'm just not going to install the beta with all the reported problems still outstanding.

Post edited by marble on
  • So far I have not found any major issues with 4.16.0.3. On my Mac. On Windows10, IRay preview seems to ignore scene lights. It renders fine, though. Compared to macOS, the Windows10 version is slllloooooooowwww. It takes ages to place an item or pose a character (same hardware box, running macOS and Windows10 as a secondary OS)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited December 2021

It's still only 50 iterations in on a 4K CPU render but by all appearances the "iray rendering grid pattern" present in 4.16.1.2 is now gone in 4.16.1.6. Ugh! Spoke to soon. The grid is appearing.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

nonesuch00 said:

It's still only 50 iterations in on a 4K CPU render but by all appearances the "iray rendering grid pattern" present in 4.16.1.2 is now gone in 4.16.1.6. Ugh! Spoke to soon. The grid is appearing.

By "grid pattern" do you mean it renders in small blocks instead of the whole scene? I don't like that way because, with the usual whole scene render, I can see after a few iterations whether I need to stop it and adjust something.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

marble said:

nonesuch00 said:

By "grid pattern" do you mean it renders in small blocks instead of the whole scene? I don't like that way because, with the usual whole scene render, I can see after a few iterations whether I need to stop it and adjust something.

No, by that anything that has volumetric opacity seems to have a grid pattern of less dense and more dense volumetrics which is very noticable. It shows up for example when there is "atmospheric volumetrics" from one of the pre-build scenes from the Render Studio 2.0 Scenes product (requires Render Studio 2.0 by Colm Jackson). 

When was the last time you saw a fog that looked like a grid of very small fog "puffs" in a neat grid pattern? It's distracting when you aren't looking to do that although in the right scene it could look OK.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    edited December 2021

marble said:

vagans said:

Catherine3678ab said:

marble said:

Catherine3678ab said:

nonesuch00 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

This is a great question. Selecting a frame and isolating it from the rest of the timeline (removing the animation, in other words) is something I have also asked about before and it is always on my wish-list for improvements to DAZ Studio, If that is now working I will be very, very pleased. I'm just not going to install the beta with all the reported problems still outstanding.

OT: I'm back! Was gone for a few hours, letting the system "download from cloud and reset my computer" ... reinstalled D/S 4.16 real one ... and did 2 small test renders with the Iray Catalyst and had no problems :-) I had taken a look at all what's been installed and figured between all the updates not removing the old stuff - could be there's some confusion in the OS that should cleared up. Seems some changes have happened, I can now get a purple pointer!

BEFORE clearing animations, etc. -- on the currect frame [and/or whichever frames you like] select the figure and save a full pose. {so absolutely everything should come back the same as it looks right now}. Then clear the animation ... I'll have to try some more later on to find the patterns ... anyhow, the entire timeline cleared. But one has saved the pose to reapply and is ready to carry on :-)

I didn't try this yet with cloth simulations. I doubt it would work as desired there. I make little morphs of the simulations to apply next time 'round.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
    edited December 2021

Catherine3678ab said:

BEFORE clearing animations, etc. -- on the currect frame [and/or whichever frames you like] select the figure and save a full pose. {so absolutely everything should come back the same as it looks right now}. Then clear the animation ... I'll have to try some more later on to find the patterns ... anyhow, the entire timeline cleared. But one has saved the pose to reapply and is ready to carry on :-)

I didn't try this yet with cloth simulations. I doubt it would work as desired there. I make little morphs of the simulations to apply next time 'round.

Ah well. it seems to have gone some way towards my wish to save out a frame as a scene but not the whole way. Nontheless, grateful for a step in the right direction. 

Post edited by marble on
  • dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134

dragotx said:

Ok, another odd wrinkle.  I installed Central as a last ditch effort (it did not work either), but it reset the download directory in DIM.  With an empty download directory, rather than reusing my existing zip files downloaded through DIM, everything seems to be installing correctly now, and Smart Content is even responding.  It's been downloading and installing since last night, and thus far there have been no failures.  I'll update the thread again when it finishes in a couple of days with how it went overall.

Ok, now that it's installed about 2/3s of my library and 4.116 with no issues, it looks like redownloading everything fresh has solved the issues I was having.  And 4.16 installed fine on another machine, so whatever was causing the issues at first have apparently been resolved.  I haven't had a chance to test rendering with 4.16 yet though

• I just installed 4.16 through DIM, and my problem is different from others I've read here, although I didn't read the entire thread, so maybe someone else has the same problem. I pretty much can't use Daz at all now because the entire workspace is white except for the text and the viewpoint, and the text is extremely tiny. I can't see the sliders, arrows, or anything else, so navigation is impossible. There are no options available for changing the workspace colors. The interesting thing is that, when I look at the About Daz Studio, it says that it's still version 4.15.0.30. Did it not install correctly?

At this point, other than opening a support ticket, I don't know what to do. To be honest, the only other time I submitted a support ticket, I got no satisfaction at all. Based upon the response I got, I don't think the people who answer the support tickets know what they're doing. I wish I'd saved the previous version of Daz before I did the update. I've never had a problem before now, so I didn't think about it.

I've attached a screen capture so you can see what it looks like.

daz-screen-capture.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 111K
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,479

maureen4486 said:

I just installed 4.16 through DIM, and my problem is different from others I've read here, although I didn't read the entire thread, so maybe someone else has the same problem. I pretty much can't use Daz at all now because the entire workspace is white except for the text and the viewpoint, and the text is extremely tiny. I can't see the sliders, arrows, or anything else, so navigation is impossible. There are no options available for changing the workspace colors. The interesting thing is that, when I look at the About Daz Studio, it says that it's still version 4.15.0.30. Did it not install correctly?

At this point, other than opening a support ticket, I don't know what to do. To be honest, the only other time I submitted a support ticket, I got no satisfaction at all. Based upon the response I got, I don't think the people who answer the support tickets know what they're doing. I wish I'd saved the previous version of Daz before I did the update. I've never had a problem before now, so I didn't think about it.

Did you make sure DS was not running when you updated it.

The only way to make sure, is to check with the Task Manager, as it can take half an hour for DS to close, or even longer if it hangs on closing. 

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063

maureen4486 said:

I just installed 4.16 through DIM, and my problem is different from others I've read here, although I didn't read the entire thread, so maybe someone else has the same problem. I pretty much can't use Daz at all now because the entire workspace is white except for the text and the viewpoint, and the text is extremely tiny. I can't see the sliders, arrows, or anything else, so navigation is impossible. There are no options available for changing the workspace colors. The interesting thing is that, when I look at the About Daz Studio, it says that it's still version 4.15.0.30. Did it not install correctly?

This  indicates that the studio UI had shut down, but studio was still running in the background. Use tak manager to be sure DAZStudio.exe  is not present. Uninstal Studio with DIM and then reinstall. The great majority of Studio is present as dll files and they cannot be replaced if they're in use - but the framework can. However, the framework, when it fires up won't work with the old dll files. . .

Uninstall/reinstall and you should be good to go.

• namffuak said:

maureen4486 said:

This  indicates that the studio UI had shut down, but studio was still running in the background. Use tak manager to be sure DAZStudio.exe  is not present. Uninstal Studio with DIM and then reinstall. The great majority of Studio is present as dll files and they cannot be replaced if they're in use - but the framework can. However, the framework, when it fires up won't work with the old dll files. . .

Uninstall/reinstall and you should be good to go.

I believe the white UI is down to corrupt style files rather than a .dll issue

• I did this just before heading off to get ready for bed, so, yes, it's likely that Daz was not fully shut down when I did the update. It seems to take a whole lot longer for Daz to fully shut down than it used to.

If I uninstall, won't I have to reinstall all my content as well? I have a whole lot of content. It would take a long time to reinstall it all, and some of it is stuff I installed manually, like shaders and props I got from other sources. If Richard Hasetine is right about the style files, is there a way that I could just reinstall them? I downloaded 4.16, so I can do a manual install.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,479

maureen4486 said:

I did this just before heading off to get ready for bed, so, yes, it's likely that Daz was not fully shut down when I did the update. It seems to take a whole lot longer for Daz to fully shut down than it used to.

If I uninstall, won't I have to reinstall all my content as well? I have a whole lot of content. It would take a long time to reinstall it all, and some of it is stuff I installed manually, like shaders and props I got from other sources. If Richard Hasetine is right about the style files, is there a way that I could just reinstall them? I downloaded 4.16, so I can do a manual install.

Installation of DAZ Studio, the program has nothing to do with installing the content. The content will still be there, even when you uninstall/reinstall DAZ Studio.

• Thanks. I just discovered that DazCentral doesn't even recognize that Daz Studio is installed, so I'm going to simply install it again through Daz Central without first doing an unistall. I had to do that once before when installing another app messed up Daz. I'll see if that fixes the problem. If I still have issues, I'll uninstall and reinstall.

• marble said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Ah well. it seems to have gone some way towards my wish to save out a frame as a scene but not the whole way. Nontheless, grateful for a step in the right direction. 

Don't know if this will help or not, but to get away from "0" one can set the "Range" to start at whatever existing frame you want to use.

For cloth simulations to start in a new scene I haven't tried what you're trying to do yet because I tend to morph the simulations. There is a product out in the store now, https://www.daz3d.com/dforce2morph, and it appears to be very quick to make a morph of a simulation PLUS it works with hair too. {Hexagon often can't work with hair}. There's a video on the Product Page.