Daz Studio 4.16

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571

...so a quetion to those who said they have no issues: are you experiencing no issues with skin and hair colours rendering too dark on characters in older scenes? 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,155

None whatsoever.

...do you use stock skin and hair shaders that come with the characters/figures? 

I generally create skins with Zev0's SkinBuilder2 and Slosh's UHT2 Hair Shading system and both would render way too dark because of the Thin Coat setting.  They render fine in 4.15 using the same lighting (Fast Production Lights For Iray which are a set of IBLs).

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,437

the general release so far ok for me. I did have a crash last night while using the new Metamixer plug ... turned on Filament in viewer and the entir DS went poof. Could not repeat it. 

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134

Has anyone else had issues doing a full clean install of 4.16 and their library?  I'm rebuilding my install after a hard dcrive failure, on a brand new installation of windows, and all of the pulugins appear to be failing when isntalled through DIM

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380

Is the other content being installed properly?

According to DIM, everything else is installing properly, but when I pull up Studio looks like CMS isn't working correctly eithe (smart content is empty)  I've been using this same setup for a while now (before havingto rebuild after a hard drive died) and it's been perfectly stable for me until this public build.  

Capture.JPG
    606 x 637 - 63K
    Capture 2.JPG
    380 x 366 - 26K
    Capture 3.JPG
    548 x 539 - 58K
  • dragotx said:

According to DIM, everything else is installing properly, but when I pull up Studio looks like CMS isn't working correctly eithe (smart content is empty)  I've been using this same setup for a while now (before havingto rebuild after a hard drive died) and it's been perfectly stable for me until this public build.  

Is the content avaialble under Daz Studio Formats in the Content Library pane? Does it load? Does it have content type tags (Actor, Pose, materials etc.) at top-right of the thumbnails?

When I pull up smart content it has no entries at all under installed, they all show up under available, but not installed. In content library they are there. I'll try reinstalling the CMS system when I get back to my computer later tonight, see if that wakes that part up.
    edited November 2021

And now CMS can be added to the list of things that won't install.  This is all I get in the log about the failure:

2021-11-27 19:32:52.856 Installing: 18869-2 : PostgreSQL CMS (Win 64-bit)
    2021-11-27 19:32:55.673 WARNING: QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.
    2021-11-27 19:32:55.688 Install Failed: PostgreSQL CMS (Win 64-bit)
    2021-11-27 19:32:56.032 Install Queue Finished: 0 min 3.1 sec

Also can confirm products work when going through content library

Post edited by dragotx on
  • gfdamron1gfdamron1 Posts: 146
    edited November 2021

Today I successfully installed 4.16.0.3 which I understand is the version that's essentially 4.15 with the addtional code for Metamixer. The download and installation took two minutes or less via DIM. I was very hesitant to upgrade away from 4.14 as it has been working extremely well for me, but DAZ is moving on, and I've been interested in the G8.1 characters.

Once the program opens, everything looks just as it did in 4.14- all of my content is where it should be. It's been able to handle all of the scenes I made in 4.14, and I don't see any difference in the renders, visually, but they do seem to process more quickly (I haven't confirmed this definitively, but they're certainly not slower).  I have a very basic, straight forward DAZ set-up. I don't have any plug-ins or other 3D programs that work with it (at least not yet). My DAZ 3D Library is running on an internal hard drive. I also have the latest Studio driver.

I just thought I would share my results with 4.16.0.3 for those considering trying it, but might be hesitant, as I was.

Post edited by gfdamron1 on
  • dragotx said:

And now CMS can be added to the list of things that won't install.  This is all I get in the log about the failure:

2021-11-27 19:32:52.856 Installing: 18869-2 : PostgreSQL CMS (Win 64-bit)
    2021-11-27 19:32:55.673 WARNING: QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.
    2021-11-27 19:32:55.688 Install Failed: PostgreSQL CMS (Win 64-bit)
    2021-11-27 19:32:56.032 Install Queue Finished: 0 min 3.1 sec

Also can confirm products work when going through content library

PostgreSQL was not updated, so I'm not sur why it would be trying to do anything with that.

I'm doing a full clean install of windows and studio on the machine that's having the CMS issues on top of everything else, since it never worked either I tried to reinstall it, but it's run afoul of the same issue I'm having with installing plugins

ANd now DIM won't install Studio at all.  This is on a completely clean, fresh install of windows.  It was doing the same thing before I wiped the OS and reloaded it, and updating on another machine required a full manual removal of 4.15 after 4.16 went in, and creating entirely new program shortcuts for it directly out of the install directory.  I can not launch 4.16 from the start menu at all, I have to either go into the program directory, or use a shortcut created manually from the program directory.  Can't even pin it to the start menu on

• Hay! Clear Animation FINALLY WORKS!!!!  Thank you :-)

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited November 2021

dragotx said:

ANd now DIM won't install Studio at all.  This is on a completely clean, fresh install of windows.  It was doing the same thing before I wiped the OS and reloaded it, and updating on another machine required a full manual removal of 4.15 after 4.16 went in, and creating entirely new program shortcuts for it directly out of the install directory.  I can not launch 4.16 from the start menu at all, I have to either go into the program directory, or use a shortcut created manually from the program directory.  Can't even pin it to the start menu on

Apparently you have bigger problems. I just installed Daz Studio on a new hard drive with Windows 10 and had no issues whatsoever. If you are running Norton, I would suggest you install DS BEFORE you install it, or turn off your virus software before installing. It's worth a shot. Otherwise, I'd check that hard drive and/or your system. I'm not in the habit of defending Daz, but I can tell you first-hand that is not a DS or DIM problem.

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Catherine3678ab said:

Hay! Clear Animation FINALLY WORKS!!!!  Thank you :-)

What do you mean by "Clear Animation"?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

I've also installed 4.16.0.3 in Windows 10 with DIM. No problems with installation or rendering.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited November 2021

I installed 4.16.0.3 ,and I'm not sure what was going on but it seemed like it was super sensitive to my mouse use ,but wouldn't hold so when trying to move stuff it would drop it ,any way bug me enough to just go back to my 4.15.30 ,besides seeems to me that the new shiny is just a randomizer for HD ...I don't use it .... need it ,so all is good

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • nonesuch00 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

The option to clear animation, you know, animation on the timeline for the figure. Usually nothing would work and I would have to delete the figure and load a new figure to continue working.

Sometimes one needs to check the figure ... or the selected items if they are props.

Anyhow, it works. :-)

Ok, another odd wrinkle.  I installed Central as a last ditch effort (it did not work either), but it reset the download directory in DIM.  With an empty download directory, rather than reusing my existing zip files downloaded through DIM, everything seems to be installing correctly now, and Smart Content is even responding.  It's been downloading and installing since last night, and thus far there have been no failures.  I'll update the thread again when it finishes in a couple of days with how it went overall.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Catherine3678ab said:

nonesuch00 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

The option to clear animation, you know, animation on the timeline for the figure. Usually nothing would work and I would have to delete the figure and load a new figure to continue working.

Sometimes one needs to check the figure ... or the selected items if they are props.

OK, thanks. I realized after I asked what you meant. That is indeed good news and I think it's a good hint that full fledged animation tools are coming to DAZ Studio.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Catherine3678ab said:

nonesuch00 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Maybe I'm getting a bit mixed up here but do you mean it is now possible to clear the timeline? I do hope so because that has been a long standing request from me (and, yes, I did log a ticket).  At the moment I have to select all keyframes, delete them and then reduce the number of frames to one, save the scene and reload ... such a PITA.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,013
    edited November 2021

marble said:

Catherine3678ab said:

nonesuch00 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Maybe I'm getting a bit mixed up here but do you mean it is now possible to clear the timeline? I do hope so because that has been a long standing request from me (and, yes, I did log a ticket).  At the moment I have to select all keyframes, delete them and then reduce the number of frames to one, save the scene and reload ... such a PITA.

Yes Marble, one click, poof. It's SO nice :-)  {it might take a few option clicks to find the one that works for the situation but I was very happily surprized to have it work the first time I used it from the Timeline hamburger menu}

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Catherine3678ab said:

marble said:

Catherine3678ab said:

nonesuch00 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Yes Marble, one click, poof. It's SO nice :-)  {it might take a few option clicks to find the one that works for the situation but I was very happily surprized to have it work the first time I used it from the Timeline hamburger menu}

Oh excellent - I will definitely try this when I get a little spare time over the next few days. 

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited November 2021

You can see my computer specs in my signature. It's really great so far as performance. (Four characters, four hairs, four outfits, a large scene usually takes thirty to forty five minutes at 99% convergence with pretty much unlimited time and samples set)   

So....What would normally take 25 to 45 minutes is now taking a couple hours using this version. It has also crashed several times, and that's with shutting down the computer completely so it's "refreshed."  Also, how would you like this experience?

1. A render took NINE HOURS
    2. You then click the folder to designate another folder and POOF the render disappears. 
    3. In the studio, Save Last Render is grayed out. You've lost nine hours of rendering.
    4. You render again and take it to 70 percent because you don't have 9 hours to waste.
    5. When you hit cancel, IT DISAPPEARS.
    6. You render again and let it run all night because you can't stop it or you'll lose it. You save it in whatever folder it's in just to be safe.

Yeah, LOVE this 4.16 version. It takes four times to render, and stopping a render is risky. The Save Last Render grays out on you, and yada yada yada. I didn't choose this version, when that new tool was introduced, I installed it in DIM, it required 4.16 and wiped out my 4.15 without me choosing this version. Ticked me off royally. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2021

...9 hours?  Sounds like an interior scene I did with 6 G2F characters (more polys than G3), lots of shiny stuff, a bucket load of emissives (before I learned those really slow down the process), on an old 4 core i7 with 12 GB of memory (that likely went into swap mode)..

The attachment below took a over 7 hours to complete (I let it stew overnight).

such a horrid clang.png
    1200 x 960 - 2M
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

Kgfdamron1 said:

DIM is showing DS 4.16 as available to download, along with some other updates. I would be updating from DS 4.14 (which I've been enjoying immensely); would there be an issue with updating from such an old version?

Depends what graphics card you have. I have a 1080ti and even 4.15 was unusable for me. Crashed every time I used iRay preview, I went back to 4.14 beta which is the only usable version for me. I still have to lower the subD on many G 8.1 characters or it crashes and also most strand based dforce hair makes it crash. It’s getting harder for me to use new content and new versions of DS are unusable so I guess Daz is moving more towards users with only the highest end computers. I keep downloading the newest NVIDIA studio drivers but that doesn’t help. You definitely need a graphics card higher than a 1080ti.

Novica said:

You can see my computer specs in my signature. It's really great so far as performance. (Four characters, four hairs, four outfits, a large scene usually takes thirty to forty five minutes at 99% convergence with pretty much unlimited time and samples set)   

So....What would normally take 25 to 45 minutes is now taking a couple hours using this version. It has also crashed several times, and that's with shutting down the computer completely so it's "refreshed."  Also, how would you like this experience?

1. A render took NINE HOURS
    2. You then click the folder to designate another folder and POOF the render disappears. 
    3. In the studio, Save Last Render is grayed out. You've lost nine hours of rendering.
    4. You render again and take it to 70 percent because you don't have 9 hours to waste.
    5. When you hit cancel, IT DISAPPEARS.
    6. You render again and let it run all night because you can't stop it or you'll lose it. You save it in whatever folder it's in just to be safe.

Yeah, LOVE this 4.16 version. It takes four times to render, and stopping a render is risky. The Save Last Render grays out on you, and yada yada yada. I didn't choose this version, when that new tool was introduced, I installed it in DIM, it required 4.16 and wiped out my 4.15 without me choosing this version. Ticked me off royally. 

And there I was, almost convinced that it was safe to update until I read your experieces. So no - not a chance I will move away from 4.15 until DAZ fix 4.16. 

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited November 2021

Wonderland said:

Kgfdamron1 said:

DIM is showing DS 4.16 as available to download, along with some other updates. I would be updating from DS 4.14 (which I've been enjoying immensely); would there be an issue with updating from such an old version?

Depends what graphics card you have. I have a 1080ti and even 4.15 was unusable for me. Crashed every time I used iRay preview, I went back to 4.14 beta which is the only usable version for me. I still have to lower the subD on many G 8.1 characters or it crashes and also most strand based dforce hair makes it crash. It’s getting harder for me to use new content and new versions of DS are unusable so I guess Daz is moving more towards users with only the highest end computers. I keep downloading the newest NVIDIA studio drivers but that doesn’t help. You definitely need a graphics card higher than a 1080ti.

I have 1080ti's too frown 2 of them and I love my gpu's for gaming. for daz versions over 4.12 not so much..lol 

So far I have no issues with crashes everything loads fine same as it has always had anyway..with daz 4.16

3delight renders pretty much the same as it always has, I don't use Filament &  Iray is slower than Molasses running uphill on a cold New England morning when trying to render & so far it dropped to cpu 98% of the time even if i have a small 4gig scene loaded and  my 1080tis are 11 gig ram cards.  I blame the gpu driver for that though. because of the opiptex prime always on . Though I can open scenes I have made with daz 4.16  with 4.12  ok, so I may just use daz 4.16 for scene building. and use daz 12 for rendering iray  I do like the new power pose tool. everything else appears the same as 4.15 to me. and 4.15 was pretty slow to render with my 1080's as well.

Post edited by Ivy on