The History of Carrara

1235»

Comments

• TGS808 said:
    So, yeah... people here can use Carrara v8.5 forever (or for as long as their future machines allow it) but it seems like that's gonna be it. A small user community (comprised mainly of hobbyists) alive and well, using outdated, discontinued software. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just what it is.

I started Carrara a couple of months ago, and nothing you said in your post has any relevence to me whatsoever.

Whether a tool is old or new, often has nothing to do with a tool being useful. 

You have created a narrative to condemn Daz and compartmentalize Carrara (and Bryce) users.

Not my narrative.

• Until it stops working or gives your computer a virus lol 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    TGS808 said:
    So, yeah... people here can use Carrara v8.5 forever (or for as long as their future machines allow it) but it seems like that's gonna be it. A small user community (comprised mainly of hobbyists) alive and well, using outdated, discontinued software. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just what it is.

I started Carrara a couple of months ago, and nothing you said in your post has any relevence to me whatsoever.

Whether a tool is old or new, often has nothing to do with a tool being useful. 

You have created a narrative to condemn Daz and compartmentalize Carrara (and Bryce) users.

Not my narrative.

Until it stops working or gives your computer a virus lol 

This is exactly how I feel as well.

• dbdigital2dbdigital2 Posts: 270
    edited February 2017

I will give one example of a TV show that came back from being canceled: X-Files.  Oh and here is another: Doctor Who.  So it is possible. I am not saying it will, but it does happen.

I say if the tool works for you, keep using it.  But even if it stopped working on a later version of windows, you could still run it in a VM.  Probably not worth at that point but it would be possible.  Bryce hasn't been updated for a much longer period of time than Carrara, but it still works.  And there are still products being made for it.  Dead isn't the proper word, retired maybe but Daz hasn't said that either.  But to be honest, it is in their best interest to update Carrara at some point to enable Genesis 3.  After all, they want to sell us the content.  Not to mention most updates to Carrara are PAID updates.  I would much prefer a free update, but if Carrara 9 had features I wanted....yep I would get in line.

I would suggest that people continue to sending tickets reporting bugs and asking about features.  Let them know that we are still here and quite interested in new updates.

Post edited by dbdigital2 on
  • Well i dont see them adding support for Genesis 3 anytime soon since Genesis 4 is just around the corner in June :) 

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Well i dont see them adding support for Genesis 3 anytime soon since Genesis 4 is just around the corner in June :) 

Are you just guessing (from the historic pattern) or do you have some insider knowledge?

• Considering there have been threads on it for awhile and considering "That would be coherent with the past releases for genesis figures, but there has been no announcement by DAZ that they intend to stick to that schedule." As the old saying goes "If it aint broke, why fix it," id be surprised if we didnt see it this year 

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/145126/genesis-3-or-genesis-4#latest

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/130706/genesis-4-wishlist#latest

edited February 2017

That might explain a hold on releasing an update - working side-by-side with Daz Studio evolution?

It was fairly apparent, all along, that much fewer resources were given to Carrara than for DS. Less (though highly talented) staff working on it. It took a long time for 8.5 to come to light, and doing so changed how DS deals with the content as well - which was the creation of the DUF format.

Either way, I am optimistic and am looking forward to what they do next to our Carrara! ;)

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited November 2021

I've started a "History of Carrara" page on my site, since the one that I linked to in the Carrara info manual is no longer available.

I'll add to it as I can - at least it's a start.

History of Carrara @ Dartanbeck.com

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179

Dartanbeck said:

I've started a "History of Carrara" page on my site, since the one that I linked to in the Carrara info manual is no longer available.

Looks great!   This "Carrara" thing looks pretty good!

One question: "Daz 3d has reported to us on several occasions now that Carrara is no longer planned for active development, but what they've left us with is one amazing version of this Beautiful 2D Authoring Suite!"  2D?  

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

Steve K said:

Dartanbeck said:

Looks great!   This "Carrara" thing looks pretty good!

One question: "Daz 3d has reported to us on several occasions now that Carrara is no longer planned for active development, but what they've left us with is one amazing version of this Beautiful 2D Authoring Suite!"  2D?  

Oooops, dreaded typo !!!

LOL!!! Yep. I better fix that! :)

Well, the output renders are... um... nevermind... I'll fix it! :D

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179

Dartanbeck said:

LOL!!! Yep. I better fix that! :)

Well, the output renders are... um... nevermind... I'll fix it! :D

Ah, glad to hear it, now I can keep using Carrara.  wink

I should not be so picky, someone just called me out on a post about the Supreme Court where I listed a vote as 6-4.  Maybe one of the judges ran around to the back of the line and voted again?

• Such good history lesson, Carrara has a solid history I see.  So now they gonna let it die it's looking,  Feliz dia de los muertos.  Prove me wrong Daz3D.

Xervious said:

Prove me wrong Daz3D.

Yes... Please!!!

Pretty Please!!!

With Sugar on top!!!

We can always hope but don't hold your breath...

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,294

Maybe the next Carrara version is called DAZ Studio 5

I love my Carrara, and I really hope that, at the very least they keep it working on modern equipment - but something more special would be Really Cool!

I have to say, though, that I'm really glad that I finally decided to take the time to figure out how to use Daz Studio.

Everything that I thought 'totally sucked' with it - turned out that it just took some getting used to.

It sure isn't Carrara by any stretch, but if you need to tweak out 3D mesh to have it follow the joints of a figure - say, for use in Carrara, Studio is absurdly awesome for that - which is what I've always used it for... that and aniBlock merging and creation kind of stuff.

Animating in Daz Studio always felt like pulling teeth out of a wild tiger to me - not that I've even tried to pull teeth from a... well... I didn't really give DS much of a chance with animation either. It's so odd in that respect.  Turns out that aniMate 2's tiny little menu opens up more than I ever knew it to - and I've had aniMate 2 (paid version) since the day I bought Carrara.

So I'm having fun loading up stuff into Carrara that I never really use - because frankly I don't really care for it that much. So in Carrara I just treat it lke a static prop mesh - often even turning it into one first for simpicity.

Then I chop it up, give it different material zones - often specific ones that I can use to tie the resulting mesh to a character using VWD, but that a whole different workflow - and after I'm happy with my new item, I bring in the intended figure and shape it to the figure how I want it to be in the zero pose.

When I'm all done, I just bring it into DS and turn it into a new conforming object and save it to my library. Pretty darned slick how these two apps can work together. That example was just scratching the surface of what I've been digging into.

I see that PhilW has been making great use of Philemo's awesome hair to mesh plugin and making some really cool DS hair! See? It's endless!

Daz 3d should really tweak on that premise.

Since they seemed to have gone with the newer version of Eovia's modelers, Hexagon, I have also given that a bit of a spin as well - just doing the same sort of mesh tweaking like I do in Carrara. Pretty slick!  I'm still very lost in Hex as far as where to look to find the tools I'm looking for, but being made by the same folks who ran Carrara from version 2 through 5 (while many of them also created version 1 from RayDream and infini-D) it turnns out that a lot of the keyboard commands are the same - at least the ones for navigating.

But I truly think that if Daz 3d put a little effort into a fresh new release of Carrara, it could become very popular indeed! Not only sell many copies of itself, but also more content to play with in it - and additionally spawn a whole new breed of content creating PAs.

Dartanbeck said:

I see that PhilW has been making great use of Philemo's awesome hair to mesh plugin and making some really cool DS hair! See? It's endless!

I think I might be the only person using that particular workflow as a PA. And I'm happy with that! 

• if only DAZ would at least fix the bugs

like Huion driver clash

the missing FBX export in Mac vesions

the File reading in later Mac versions 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

and the file size bug indecision

Yep. I truly think that trying to get Daz Studio to become a sort of Carrara, and/or to decide that Carrara is not worthy of being developed, are each bad ideas.

As I've been hinting (?) at very recently, I really think that Daz Studio is an amazing piece of software - I really do.

The hard part for me is that I've spent the last ten years or so thinking and saying that Daz Studio can't hold a candlestick to Carrara. Now that I've actually settled down and learned how to scratch its surface I am realizing how absolutely wrong I've been. The one consolation that I have for myself is that I never really out-and-out condemmed it - because I already liked using it as my Carrara helper. I bought aniMate 2 the same day as Carrara with the idea of doing just that.

I say that because it helps me to realize how so many people form their false impressions of our still very useful and productive dying software favorite.

I hear it all the time. Negativity about Carrara.

I just smile and say "To each their own", which I truly believe.

Well, we'll see what happens once I start making my commercials about it. Hopefully others will join in and we can make a decent stir on social media that either Daz 3d will pick up the torch once again, or some other interested party will make an offer to do the same.

I know... wishful thinking blush