The History of Carrara

1235»

Comments

• TGS808 said:
    So, yeah... people here can use Carrara v8.5 forever (or for as long as their future machines allow it) but it seems like that's gonna be it. A small user community (comprised mainly of hobbyists) alive and well, using outdated, discontinued software. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just what it is.

I started Carrara a couple of months ago, and nothing you said in your post has any relevence to me whatsoever.

Whether a tool is old or new, often has nothing to do with a tool being useful. 

You have created a narrative to condemn Daz and compartmentalize Carrara (and Bryce) users.

Not my narrative.

• Until it stops working or gives your computer a virus lol 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 16,780
    TGS808 said:
    So, yeah... people here can use Carrara v8.5 forever (or for as long as their future machines allow it) but it seems like that's gonna be it. A small user community (comprised mainly of hobbyists) alive and well, using outdated, discontinued software. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just what it is.

I started Carrara a couple of months ago, and nothing you said in your post has any relevence to me whatsoever.

Whether a tool is old or new, often has nothing to do with a tool being useful. 

You have created a narrative to condemn Daz and compartmentalize Carrara (and Bryce) users.

Not my narrative.

Until it stops working or gives your computer a virus lol 

This is exactly how I feel as well.

• dbdigital2dbdigital2 Posts: 270
    edited February 2017

I will give one example of a TV show that came back from being canceled: X-Files.  Oh and here is another: Doctor Who.  So it is possible. I am not saying it will, but it does happen.

I say if the tool works for you, keep using it.  But even if it stopped working on a later version of windows, you could still run it in a VM.  Probably not worth at that point but it would be possible.  Bryce hasn't been updated for a much longer period of time than Carrara, but it still works.  And there are still products being made for it.  Dead isn't the proper word, retired maybe but Daz hasn't said that either.  But to be honest, it is in their best interest to update Carrara at some point to enable Genesis 3.  After all, they want to sell us the content.  Not to mention most updates to Carrara are PAID updates.  I would much prefer a free update, but if Carrara 9 had features I wanted....yep I would get in line.

I would suggest that people continue to sending tickets reporting bugs and asking about features.  Let them know that we are still here and quite interested in new updates.

Post edited by dbdigital2 on
  • Well i dont see them adding support for Genesis 3 anytime soon since Genesis 4 is just around the corner in June :) 

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,094

Well i dont see them adding support for Genesis 3 anytime soon since Genesis 4 is just around the corner in June :) 

Are you just guessing (from the historic pattern) or do you have some insider knowledge?

• Considering there have been threads on it for awhile and considering "That would be coherent with the past releases for genesis figures, but there has been no announcement by DAZ that they intend to stick to that schedule." As the old saying goes "If it aint broke, why fix it," id be surprised if we didnt see it this year 

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/145126/genesis-3-or-genesis-4#latest

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/130706/genesis-4-wishlist#latest

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 16,780
    edited February 2017

That might explain a hold on releasing an update - working side-by-side with Daz Studio evolution?

It was fairly apparent, all along, that much fewer resources were given to Carrara than for DS. Less (though highly talented) staff working on it. It took a long time for 8.5 to come to light, and doing so changed how DS deals with the content as well - which was the creation of the DUF format.

Either way, I am optimistic and am looking forward to what they do next to our Carrara! ;)

Post edited by Chohole on