The Mac FAQ

Comments

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

I'm having problems setting up/maintainig a layout across 2 monitors...In the chance this is a Mac thing rather than a Daz thing, does anyone use Daz Studio across multiple displays? (on Mavericks)

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    I'm having problems setting up/maintainig a layout across 2 monitors...In the chance this is a Mac thing rather than a Daz thing, does anyone use Daz Studio across multiple displays? (on Mavericks)

What kind of problems? I use DAZ Studio across 2 displays on Mavericks without any issues.

edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    Scavenger said:

What kind of problems? I use DAZ Studio across 2 displays on Mavericks without any issues.

Well, I have a general thread on it here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47628/

Right now, It might be working, ... the secret may be to NOT click Make Pane Undockable.. If the Mac Stoplights show up on the "pane", they wont' stick..but if they're not there...well, they're sticking for now.

Screenshot_2014-10-15_22.21_.59_.png
    430 x 150 - 10K
    Screenshot_2014-10-15_22.22_.13_.png
    437 x 224 - 21K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

I just tried, both with undockable and dockable, both types sticks to the second screen if DS is quit and started again they remain in the same place. Maybe I don't understand the whole problem.

edited December 1969

Well, from the other thread:

With the layout as the “Hollywood” as default, in the ACTORS, WARDOBE & PROPS Activity, I moved the Scene and Parameter tabs to the second monitor.
    I save it as 2Monitors

I changed to the Render Activity, and they vanished.

I changed BACK to the ACTORS, WARDOBE & PROPS Activity, and they showed up in the middle of the 1st Monitor.

I change back to Hollywood layout and close the program

I reopen and choose the 2Monitor layout . For a quick second, the Scene and Parameters tabs show up on the second screen…then they vanish (close).

So far, IF I separate the panes but then do not click "Make Undockable" so they stay as floating panes rather than as Mac windows (ie. with the stop lights), they seem to stay in place. With the stoplights, they don't.

(Annoyingly, they also are always on top, so if the in-progress Render Window is on Monitor 2, it's hidden by them. but ce la vie).

I'm using Mavericks with "Displays have separate Spaces".

Screenshot_2014-10-17_11.44_.55_.png
    2000 x 643 - 705K
    edited December 1969

Aha, thats the issue, I have displays as same space to prevent the dock from randomly decided to jump to the second screen for my reason (happens with dock below).

edited December 1969

I'll have to experiment to cofirm that's the problem..then debate which way to go..(been too long since I set it up that way to remember why I chose it..I think it works with my Apple TV better).

edited December 1969

WEll, I've had my monitors in single space mode for a few weeks, and the tabs stay where they're put, so that Might have been it, but I haven't messed with them much either. I guess I'll do a few more experiments. Sadly, Apple didn't do anything to improve the monitor sitch in the new os (that research has turned up, anyhow).

In other Mac areas...what is the best/is there a way to determine, on the Mac, how much Ram a Daz project is using? Is it just looking in Activity Monitor? Or is there something eternal to the program that will tell?

edited December 1969

Activity Monitor is really just the console program top with a nice twist, so it's the best way.

edited December 1969

But is it reflective of an individual scene? Or the program as a whole.
    ie: I have one scene of just a figure posing against the nothingness. vs the figure posing in the middle of a crowded bar.
    What is the best way to determine the difference in RAM hits?

edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    But is it reflective of an individual scene? Or the program as a whole.
    ie: I have one scene of just a figure posing against the nothingness. vs the figure posing in the middle of a crowded bar.
    What is the best way to determine the difference in RAM hits?

The program will use x MB when started. When you load a scene, that memory allocation will increase, the difference is a rough estimate of that scenes memory footprint.

• ZephlynnZephlynn Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

I need some help. I'm using an iMac that's got OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Daz Studio Pro (4.7.012) 64-Bit, and Adobe Photoshop CC (2014.2.1 release) all up and running. My problem is that I can't seem to get Photoshop 3D Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Mac 64-bit) properly installed at all. Hope the screenshots below can prompt someone here to point me in the right direction, because I'm really clueless at this point. Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has already been clearly explained.

Zeph

Untitled3.jpg
    572 x 217 - 85K
    Untitled2.jpg
    531 x 127 - 83K
    Untitled.jpg
    1388 x 919 - 496K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

In the Applications tab the path needs to be for Photoshop, you have it listed as DAZ Studio, and the path needs to end at "Adobe Photoshop CC 2014", not into the "Plugins" subfolder.

edited December 1969

In the Applications tab the path needs to be for Photoshop, you have it listed as DAZ Studio, and the path needs to end at "Adobe Photoshop CC 2014", not into the "Plugins" subfolder.

Sorry. It didn't work. Still got that same message. Not sure if I did it right, to be honest. I never saw it listed as DAZ studio. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that I didn't see it. Wish I could get this done right, already. Thanks for your help, fixmypcmike.

Zeph

Untitled4.jpg
    567 x 249 - 89K
    edited December 1969

Zephlynn said:

Sorry. It didn't work. Still got that same message. Not sure if I did it right, to be honest. I never saw it listed as DAZ studio. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that I didn't see it. Wish I could get this done right, already. Thanks for your help, fixmypcmike.

Zeph

Under Name it still says "DAZ Studio". Click the "+" button in the lower left and select Photoshop as the application.

edited December 1969

Under Name it still says "DAZ Studio". Click the "+" button in the lower left and select Photoshop as the application.

That worked! But, now I've got a new problem. >:-(

I opened Photoshop, and chose File > Automate > DAZ Studio 3D Bridge, and I got the message in the screenshot. Alas.

Untitled5.jpg
    683 x 315 - 57K
    edited December 1969

Which version of DS are you using? I think you need DS4.7 and that bridge to get it working with PS CC 2014.

• crocodiliancrocodilian Posts: 82
    edited December 2014

How does one get the Content Library to "see" external drives?

When I choose the "Search Hard Drives for content" option of content library, it searches only the main drive-- there's no option to search the external drives, even though they're mounted, and they're where the Daz install Manager installs newly purchased files.

Daz Studio 4.7 64 bit OS Yosemite . . .

SearchHardDrives.jpg
    683 x 677 - 36K
    Post edited by crocodilian on
    edited December 1969

I would add them in Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager -- I never use the "search hard drives" option, it tends to pick up things it shouldn't that you then have to weed out.

edited December 1969

I would add them in Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager -- I never use the "search hard drives" option, it tends to pick up things it shouldn't that you then have to weed out.

Thank you for this suggestion-- but it brings up another problem

In Content Directory Manager, if I click on "Add" to add a new directory, I get the standard OSX Finder window, select a directory which contains a runtime, I get a message stating that the directory is not and does not contain a runtime. If I add it anyway, I find that the directory added isn't the directory I chose.

That is, I have a directory on my external drive called RDNA, with a Poser runtime in it. I select to add this, I get the warning, accept the selection despite the waring, and I find that a completely unrelated directory ("Documents") has been added instead of the selected one.

Somehow, the CDM is pulling in the wrong input for the "Add" selector . ..

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

When you say it contains a Poser Runtime, do you mean that the folder you are selecting contains a folder named "Runtime" immediately, not in a sub-folder?

edited December 2014

When you say it contains a Poser Runtime, do you mean that the folder you are selecting contains a folder named "Runtime" immediately, not in a sub-folder?

I've tried it both ways, same problem

So, on my external drive, I have a directory called "RDNA".

In that directory, there's a Runtime.

Doesn't matter whether I select the runtime, or the parent directory-- either way, I get the message "isn't a runtime, doesn't contain a runtime", if I accept the selection despite the warning, I find that the added directory has no relationship to what I selected.

Its as if the application isn't seeing the Finder directory chooser, and is instead reading its input from some other source, eg it will have added a random directory like "/users" -- which indeed doesn't contain a runtime-- rather than the one I chose. It may be that the directory chosen is in some kind of buffer as "last folder that has focus" or something like that. There's no obvious connection between the directory added and what it is I've chosen -- although the only consistency is that the directory added is on the boot drive, not the external drive.

Desktop.png
    452 x 159 - 11K
    Preferences.png
    583 x 160 - 34K
    Select-a-Directory.png
    741 x 488 - 125K
    edited December 1969

You should select RDNA (which Contains a Runtime)

edited December 2014

Totte said:
    You should select RDNA (which Contains a Runtime)

I've tried it selecting both the parent and the Runtime directly, done it both ways, no joy. I've attached a screen grab showing both of the directories I've tried adding.

In both cases, the Content Directory Manager doesn't recognize either that the directory is a runtime, or that it contains a runtime. If I choose it despite the warning, the directory which is added to the CDM is unrelated to the one chosen.

43c255ba-3078-42ad-8982-773ea84c51d3.jpg
    556 x 206 - 45K
    Select-a-Directory-2.png
    749 x 492 - 139K
    edited December 1969

What formatting is it on the drive? HFS+ or something else?

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    What formatting is it on the drive? HFS+ or something else?

Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted)

edited December 1969

Nothing in the DS error log?
    I've never had any problems with this but I know sometimes things just refuses to work as expected ;-)

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Nothing in the DS error log?
    I've never had any problems with this but I know sometimes things just refuses to work as expected ;-)

Well, first of all-- thank you for helping !! Much appreciated.

Looking at the log file, I don't see anything striking.

Mysteriously, it does seem to think I'm running Mavericks (OS 10.9) when I'm actually running Yosemite (10.10.1) (?)

I tried one other thing-- created a symlink to the directory on the external disk, then moved that symlink to the boot disk. Tried doing it with that, but same problem.

Weirdly, Daz install manager handles this just fine. I have DIM set up so that when I buy something from the Daz store, it installs it on the external drive

Settings.png
    653 x 305 - 40K
    edited December 1969

Does all content directories on that disk fail, or only RDNA from CDM in DS?

edited December 2014

Totte said:
    Does all content directories on that disk fail, or only RDNA from CDM in DS?

Any directory that I try to add. Same strange behavior. Pick the directory that contains the Runtime in the chooser, get a warning that it doesn't contain a runtime, choose it anyway, and find that some unrelated directory on the boot drive has been added in CDM, instead of the one selected.

But as you can see above, Daz Install Manager has the My Daz 3D Library on that drive, and that works perfectly.

I buy something in the store, DIM downloads it, installs it to the external drive, and it shows up in my smart content . . . all works just fine.

[Edit]

Tried it on another external drive. Same issue there.