More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• I've been experimenting with some styles on the side, trying to get different results, from a simple comic book look to the look and feel of those old children books with water color art and even a bit of Alex Ross today, although unintentionally...

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Took a postwork that I made to turn AO rendered backgrounds into quick and dirty comic strip backdrops, and applied it to a character rendered with a single distant light in 3DL. No special shaders applied.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited June 2021

[deleted]

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • pavsikakyjpavsikakyj Posts: 139

Strangefate said:

I've been experimenting with some styles on the side, trying to get different results, from a simple comic book look to the look and feel of those old children books with water color art and even a bit of Alex Ross today, although unintentionally...

Looks awesome! Care to share your method?

• @pavsikakyj - They're made with 2 apps. The painterly stuff is made with DAP = Dynamic Auto Painter and the more Comic style stuff with 'Painnt'

Both styles are made blending 3-4 different paint styles or filters. Usually some more loose for that blotchy look and some sharper ones to bring back some of the details and general definition.

The Black/white illustration uses the same approach. 3 different Painnt filters blended in PS. Some at better at shadows, some at line art.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Strangefate said:

@pavsikakyj - They're made with 2 apps. The painterly stuff is made with DAP = Dynamic Auto Painter and the more Comic style stuff with 'Painnt'

Both styles are made blending 3-4 different paint styles or filters. Usually some more loose for that blotchy look and some sharper ones to bring back some of the details and general definition.

The Black/white illustration uses the same approach. 3 different Painnt filters blended in PS. Some at better at shadows, some at line art.

thanks for sharing that I especially like the black and white and also the fireplace image

• Another quicky

• pavsikakyjpavsikakyj Posts: 139

Strangefate said:

@pavsikakyj - They're made with 2 apps. The painterly stuff is made with DAP = Dynamic Auto Painter and the more Comic style stuff with 'Painnt'

Thanks a lot! Will try it once I buy it.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited August 2021

Deleted

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 895

Strangefate said:

Another quicky

This is simply too cool for words. Love the pastel look. Awesome stuff.... 

Strangefate said:

Another quicky

This is simply too cool for words. Love the pastel look. Awesome stuff.... 

mmitchell_houston said:

Working with a cartoon character figure. This is interesting, as the shape of the character has some unusual curves and shapes. Definitely learning a lot as I try some new things with the editing process.

The figure is a freebie from ShareCG and, for those of you don't know, this is Cerebus the Aardvark, which is one of the first, most important independent comic characters.

Typical workflow applies: Poser Pro 11 renders cleaned up in Clip Studio Paint.

Very nice indeed!!!!

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556

Strangefate said:

I've been experimenting with some styles on the side, trying to get different results, from a simple comic book look to the look and feel of those old children books with water color art and even a bit of Alex Ross today, although unintentionally...

Amazing !!  

edited June 2021

KDA

Here my quick test using my PWToon JS Multipass and Photoshop . Ignore the akward pose  LOL

KDA.jpg
    1500 x 1061 - 2M
    Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • Thanks @Kenmo !

That's a nice shading effect @juvesatriani

I took things a bit further:

edited June 2021

Guys I`m just updating my JS Toon kit photoshop action ( IRAY render to NPR) you can test in here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TnTON4AdY683uCLMRoCE-XDuOAXdldZv/view?usp=sharing

Dont forget to get free GREYCstoration plugin first in here https://ccm.net/download/download-666-greycstoration

I want to make short video but  I dont have 'Proper"  IRAY render for Tutorial , since my Machine barely can handle more than One G8 character in IRAY .

And yeah I`ve already test this action with lots of DAZ+ IRAY render from DAZ Promo - Rendo Store - Devian Art etc , but I dont have permission if using those images in Tutorial although my Action is freebie 

If Anyone can help me with that I will glad to create the  short video tutorial 

Thanks and have fun

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732

juvesatriani said:

Guys I`m just updating my JS Toon kit photoshop action ( IRAY render to NPR) you can test in here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TnTON4AdY683uCLMRoCE-XDuOAXdldZv/view?usp=sharing

Dont forget to get free GREYCstoration plugin first in here https://ccm.net/download/download-666-greycstoration

I want to make short video but  I dont have 'Proper"  IRAY render for Tutorial , since my Machine barely can handle more than One G8 character in IRAY .

And yeah I`ve already test this action with lots of DAZ+ IRAY render from DAZ Promo - Rendo Store - Devian Art etc , but I dont have permission if using those images in Tutorial although my Action is freebie 

If Anyone can help me with that I will glad to create the  short video tutorial 

Thanks and have fun

Thanks for sharing your tools. 

edited July 2021

Carrara Render - "The Ghosts of the Oprphan Boys." detail - postwork in Topaz impression.

Rendered out a whole wad of Carrara native passes and combined the appropriate ones in post - used the object pass to isolate different elements for individual post work. Kid is K4. Moon is carrara moon. Tree is five different trees addede togather. Moss is carrara hair added to the trees. Grass is carrara hair. Fog is carrara fog.

tree2withboyqdetails.jpg
    3417 x 3750 - 6M
    Post edited by Headwax on

Tugpsx said:

Thanks for giving time to try my action

@headwax nice composition and tone  

juvesatriani said:

Tugpsx said:

Thanks for giving time to try my action

@headwax nice composition and tone  

thank you , tone is everything sometimes , even with colourists 

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

The Moldy Crow

• Headwax said:

Carrara Render - "The Ghosts of the Oprphan Boys." detail - postwork in Topaz impression.

Rendered out a whole wad of Carrara native passes and combined the appropriate ones in post - used the object pass to isolate different elements for individual post work. Kid is K4. Moon is carrara moon. Tree is five different trees addede togather. Moss is carrara hair added to the trees. Grass is carrara hair. Fog is carrara fog.

It's amazing that you manage to convey such a sense of WEIRDNESS with such a simple illustration. Most people who try for this sort of effect/emotion don't quite succeed. But you have nailed it. This reminds of of concept art for some weird, creepy movie that I probably wouldn't watch because it's too eerie. Well done.

• Strangefate said:

This is a very solid character design. It's just the sort of thing DC Comics would buy for a revamp of Dr. Fate. Your effects work is very solid, and I'm really surpised at how much I like that white cape. It really does a great job of framing the other tones in her body and costume. Well done. Is this costume your own design, or did you kit bash it from other sets/products?

• tkdrobert said:

The Moldy Crow

"I do hope you understand, sir, that my client -- the Countess Ermonda -- shall NOT be booking passage on your ship, 'The Moldy Cow.' I don't care how fast it is or what luxuries it affords to its guests. This is simply a vessel that she would NOT be caught dead on!"

Hah. What a name, pal! Nice design for the illo, though. Like me, you're seing what fun it is to play with those radial lines in a space illustration. Well done!

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited August 2021

Deleted

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • @mmitchell_houston - Thanks! I'm making the designs up as I go. I use the 'Super suit' I believe it was called, from the Daz store to paint the parts of the costume that I can and model the rest. It's all done rather quick and dirty, just making sure it works my needs.

Another one finished this weekend, can't seem to like the background. It detracts too much, but at the same time feel she needs a bit of craziness around her. Might do a bit of an update on the BG or lighting.

She'd be a Harley Quinn type of character, but more into gadgets I guess.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

mmitchell_houston said:

tkdrobert said:

The Moldy Crow

"I do hope you understand, sir, that my client -- the Countess Ermonda -- shall NOT be booking passage on your ship, 'The Moldy Cow.' I don't care how fast it is or what luxuries it affords to its guests. This is simply a vessel that she would NOT be caught dead on!"

Hah. What a name, pal! Nice design for the illo, though. Like me, you're seing what fun it is to play with those radial lines in a space illustration. Well done!

HAHA.  Guess you never played the old Dark Forces games.  This ship belonged to Kyle Katarn.

• StrawbeyStrawbey Posts: 5

I've been watching this thread for a while, so much great work here! ...finally feeling up to posting some images from a comic I'm working on. I'll be honest, I'm priortizing speed and decent quality over perfecting each image, so there are certainly rough spots and pleeenty of room for improvement. 

Oh and this is my first forum post, so apologies if I screw anything up.

Finished_Smol.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    Finished_Smol.png
    800 x 600 - 542K
    edited July 2021

Strawbey said:

I've been watching this thread for a while, so much great work here! ...finally feeling up to posting some images from a comic I'm working on. I'll be honest, I'm priortizing speed and decent quality over perfecting each image, so there are certainly rough spots and pleeenty of room for improvement. 

Oh and this is my first forum post, so apologies if I screw anything up.

Great style 

And for @tkdrobert @Strangefate and @mmitchell_houston Always pleasure to see your images . Awesome guys!

edited July 2021

New JS Multipass test

Revisit my old pwToon Multipass preset (JS Multipass) .Skin still not quite right though

New Multipass.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 778K
This discussion has been closed.