More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• StrangeFateStrangeFate Posts: 758

juvesatriani said:

Revisit my old pwToon Multipass preset (JS Multipass) .Skin still not quite right though

That's looking pretty solid !

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556

Strangefate said:

juvesatriani said:

Revisit my old pwToon Multipass preset (JS Multipass) .Skin still not quite right though

Thanks !! This is another mix and match up shadow pass and masking in several area  

Mido.jpg
    1239 x 1461 - 698K
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

juvesatriani said:

Strangefate said:

juvesatriani said:

Thanks !! This is another mix and match up shadow pass and masking in several area  

This one is perfect on my taste!

edited July 2021

Vyusur said:

Thanks !! Here another experiment with pwToon and bunch of LUT and color shift in Photoshop . 

Test NEW FLAT pwTOON

DIRECT.jpg
    850 x 1100 - 549K
    FLAT.jpg
    1007 x 2715 - 1M
    Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

Three Removalists

nod to the ashcan school

juvesatriani said:

Vyusur said:

Thanks !! Here another experiment with pwToon and bunch of LUT and color shift in Photoshop . 

Test NEW FLAT pwTOON

loveley smooth colour transitions

mmitchell_houston said:

Headwax said:

Carrara Render - "The Ghosts of the Oprphan Boys." detail - postwork in Topaz impression.

Rendered out a whole wad of Carrara native passes and combined the appropriate ones in post - used the object pass to isolate different elements for individual post work. Kid is K4. Moon is carrara moon. Tree is five different trees addede togather. Moss is carrara hair added to the trees. Grass is carrara hair. Fog is carrara fog.

It's amazing that you manage to convey such a sense of WEIRDNESS with such a simple illustration. Most people who try for this sort of effect/emotion don't quite succeed. But you have nailed it. This reminds of of concept art for some weird, creepy movie that I probably wouldn't watch because it's too eerie. Well done.

thank you sorry I missed this, I post and then forget I have posted ...

you always comment very insightful ly thank  you

edited July 2021

mmitchell_houston said:

I honestly cannot even tell what the *bleep* I think of this piece. I've been playing with it and the colors all day, and this is where I am.

This is the "Torba" figure from R'osity, battling Michael 3 with a custom face. Do any of these work for you guys?

Nothing new in my workflow: Poser Pro 11 renders and edits in Clip Studio Paint.

I think the third works best - it's less busy and the warm sepia and the coolish  blue act as (almost blue and orange) complementaries - so add more harmony

the speed lines bring the eye to where the action is 

the first two backgrounds dont say anything about the protagonists

Post edited by Headwax on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,902

Headwax said:

Three Removalists

nod to the ashcan school

Wow, another masterpiece. Well done.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Headwax said:

Three Removalists

nod to the ashcan school

That is seriously good!

thank you @Artini and @vrba79 !

I get a lot of inspiration for postwork from this thread

Headwax said:

This thread is certainly a good place to find that!

vrba79 said:

Headwax said:

This thread is certainly a good place to find that!

yes just being made of the software that is available and to see it in action!

edited July 2021

agree with you all . This thread really awesome and helpful 

Here another pwToon and ( over processed) photoshop attempt to create style inspired by you @Headwax 

Overprocessed

over pro.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 1M

juvesatriani said:

Here another pwToon and ( over processed) photoshop attempt to create style inspired by you @Headwax 

Overprocessed

wow that's very kind. Beautiful image - it has a lovely soft glow - the edge of the hair and the shadows are 'just right'. 

juvesatriani said:

Overprocessed

Very nice!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited July 2021

Yellow bug. D/S, no postwork.

Yellow_bug.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by Vyusur on

juvesatriani said:

Overprocessed

Very, very nice.

edited July 2021

Thanks guys !!  This one experiment to create lousy sketch dan dirty comic fx

Dirty Comic FX

dirtycomic.jpg
    1000 x 1210 - 821K
    edited July 2021

PwToon JS FLAT EXP

Guys this is Straight Render from DAZ studio using pwToon ( No Postwork) . This will be my next Freebie and this will be simpler than my old Multipass  technique because you can get this style using only one pass .

Although Multipass technique offer more control about how things blend ( Shadow - AO - FLAT color etc) but I know some people prefer simpler solution

I`ll be sharing some presets after testing with normal figures and textures .  I`m also including sample from Photoshop action companion

PWToon JS FLAT.png
    991 x 922 - 377K
    JSFLAT Enhancer.jpg
    800 x 800 - 218K

juvesatriani said:

PwToon JS FLAT EXP

Guys this is Straight Render from DAZ studio using pwToon ( No Postwork) . This will be my next Freebie and this will be simpler than my old Multipass  technique because you can get this style using only one pass .

Although Multipass technique offer more control about how things blend ( Shadow - AO - FLAT color etc) but I know some people prefer simpler solution

I`ll be sharing some presets after testing with normal figures and textures .  I`m also including sample from Photoshop action companion

Looks very interesting. Wish I have some idea, how to use tools in Photoshop or Gimp to achieve results, like you got.

Despite using Photoshop and Gimp for a very long time, I still have no idea, how to achieve results, I want.

Artini said:

juvesatriani said:

PwToon JS FLAT EXP

Looks very interesting. Wish I have some idea, how to use tools in Photoshop or Gimp to achieve results, like you got.

Despite using Photoshop and Gimp for a very long time, I still have no idea, how to achieve results, I want.

Hi @Artini , First image direct render from DAZ and PwToon so you dont  need to open photoshop or 2D graphic editor at all .

The second image result after running custom photoshop action so.. in theory you just need click and click ;) 

I`ll be make my upcoming pwToon preset and photoshop companion as simple as possible . SO everyone can use it

• Headwax said:

Three Removalists

nod to the ashcan school

Verrrrry nice. And thanks for mentioning the "ashcan school." The second you said it this totally clicked for me. I really like the style, and I love your posing and composition (and there is something really cool about how the dog seems to be looking at us. Two things that really work here are the poses and body shapes. They are slumping and slouching, like real people do. Honestly, one of the things that I most often see in 3D art is that the figures are too often standing straight or acting like models with perfect posture. Also, I like that the guys are skinny and the clothes are somewhat baggy. This is a really effective painting. And then, of course, there is the story. What the heck is a guy from the 1930s (based on clothes, truck and setting) doing with an iPod or phone or whatever it is? Is this time travel? A movie set? I wanna know!

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited August 2021

Headwax said:

mmitchell_houston said:

I honestly cannot even tell what the *bleep* I think of this piece. I've been playing with it and the colors all day, and this is where I am.

This is the "Torba" figure from R'osity, battling Michael 3 with a custom face. Do any of these work for you guys?

Nothing new in my workflow: Poser Pro 11 renders and edits in Clip Studio Paint.

I think the third works best - it's less busy and the warm sepia and the coolish  blue act as (almost blue and orange) complementaries - so add more harmony

the speed lines bring the eye to where the action is 

the first two backgrounds dont say anything about the protagonists

Thanks. I think you're right. Not that any of them are particularly good, tbh. But you're right about the backgrounds.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • juvesatriani said:

New JS Multipass test

Amazing work. But yeah, the skin isn't right. Also, I think you need to manually put a line on the nose to give it definition.

Have you tried to create a page of comics using this technique? That would be very telling to see if you can replicate the outcome enough to go from panel-to-panel and keep it looking similar enough in terms of consistency in line width and colors.

• juvesatriani said:

Thanks guys !!  This one experiment to create lousy sketch dan dirty comic fx

Dirty Comic FX

This is very nice. The outlines are consistent and are well placed. I also like where the lines break on the folded jacket. The hair outline is particularly good, too. I think you need to do a test of a figure with its mouth open to see how this works on teeth. That is one area where I see a lot of problems with toon outlines.

mmitchell_houston said:

juvesatriani said:

Amazing work. But yeah, the skin isn't right. Also, I think you need to manually put a line on the nose to give it definition.

Have you tried to create a page of comics using this technique? That would be very telling to see if you can replicate the outcome enough to go from panel-to-panel and keep it looking similar enough in terms of consistency in line width and colors.

Thanks for all the inputs. You're The BEST!! 
    Regarding Consistency I think it will be difficult, except if I only use the base color of pwToon and without relying too much on the texture of DAZ assets. 

Although I've used techniques like Multipass where the controls on layer blending - color - shadow - FX - Outline can be fully customized , it will consume quite a lot of time if the texture of each asset clashes with each other

The funny thing is that IRAY Render promises consistency even more, so in the postwork phase I can easily do color control at once. But that will  be another quest. After I can afford better GPU :) 

About Comics, I've had a few drafts that have been written a few years ago, but somehow I haven't really "moved to get started. 
    Its feel strange because those dreams are the reason why I know POSER and DAZ in first place (beside my huge effort to hide my horrible Manual drawing skill)

My goal with DAZ assets right now and beyond is to use them as  Static or Web Ads -  T Shirt and Poster print elements  .  
    I Dont know why? maybe with those think I can getaway with 'unconsistency " , right ? :)

Thanks again

• Hello, Everyone:

I have been a DAZ user since approximately June 2015. However, this is probably only my second time perhaps that I’ve ever posted to the forums, and I don’t believe I’ve ever posted to the gallery – so hopefully my attachments will upload properly.

I just happened to stumble upon this thread and was moved to post today because 1) of all your inspiringly well-executed NPR images that I see being posted, as well as 2) everyone’s gracious generosity in sharing their personal workflows and post processing recipes.

Re: Consistency

With respect to NPRs, my kryptonite is comic book style images – especially in the styles of the late Bronze / early Modern comic book ages, which were the styles I grew up reading – and I have been trying to mimic those styles with Daz Studio/Gimp for years now.

I’m getting closer at achieving the exact look I’m aiming for (except that my personal style is to intentionally have a lot more detail than the comic panels of those ages), and the attached images (which is the same image except both with and without dialogue) is where I currently am at to date in trying to achieve that look.

I guess I should mention that I created the attached pages for the sole purpose of trying to nail down my workflow and techniques, and that although the images look like they might be part of a longer WIP (i.e., a full comic book or graphic novel) . . .  they are not. I merely wanted to see if my workflow has gotten to the point where I can achieve my exact style consistently across multiple panels.

As I believe I've achieved that goal and am now able to work consistently across multiple panels, my next goal is to try achieve consistency across multiple pages using renders that have different lighting moods and setups.

I’m mostly satisfied with the end results so far, but I believe I am only about 95% of the way there – there are still some minor issues I have to address, e.g., the glaring desecration of the lady’s face in the very last panel (and to a much lesser extent the minor desecration done to her face in the very first panel as well).

Moreover, there is much to the process and workflow that I still have to fix. Although I feel I am able to achieve my desired look consistenly, nonetheless my processes don’t feel streamlined whatsoever, and I am working extremely repetitively – which is annoying.

Once I’ve nailed down these problems and am able to achieve my look, I’ll try to write-up a tutorial if anyone would be interested.

But for now, I feel I can move on to begin actually writing my comic, as well as to now try to conquer second stylistic kryptonite – a more painterly style for single renders as standalone art.

The attached images were rendered in photorealistic Iray (scene only), and the finished single comic book page took about 5½ hours to create (rendering, post processing, compositing, and dialogue). I know NPR renders are supposed to be better using 3DL, but my experimentation yielded much better success in Iray (it's easier to remove extra detail than to add it), and so I think my render times took longer than they would have had I used 3DL instead – but I can’t say that for sure.

The individual renders contained distant lights, and various point lights and spotlights.

And, lastly, the models I used were Medieval Docks, iREAL Animated Ocean Water System (Quiet Cove preset), Daz Dragon 3, Daz Horse 2, Victoria 8, Michael 8, The Western Knight Series 01 for G8M, Tebrys Outfit for G8F, Guardian Horse Armor for Daz Horse 2, and Gayll dForce Hair for G8F.

Since I’ve gone this far, I’ll also post these same images to my Daz gallery – I would appreciate any comments and feedback you all could please provide. Even though this would be my first posting ever of my images to any art site, if you do care to comment, please be brutally honest – I’ll take the bad along with the good as I would learn much more that way.

Thank you all for your inspiration and sharing your knowledge.

Medieval Comic Panel Sequence - 96 dpi.png
    672 x 1008 - 1M
    Medieval Comic Panel Sequence - No Dialogue - 96 dpi.png
    672 x 1008 - 1M

leohr_aicrag said:

Hello, Everyone:

I have been a DAZ user since approximately June 2015. However, this is probably only my second time perhaps that I’ve ever posted to the forums, and I don’t believe I’ve ever posted to the gallery – so hopefully my attachments will upload properly.

I just happened to stumble upon this thread and was moved to post today because 1) of all your inspiringly well-executed NPR images that I see being posted, as well as 2) everyone’s gracious generosity in sharing their personal workflows and post processing recipes.

Re: Consistency

With respect to NPRs, my kryptonite is comic book style images – especially in the styles of the late Bronze / early Modern comic book ages, which were the styles I grew up reading – and I have been trying to mimic those styles with Daz Studio/Gimp for years now.

Love it !! Do you already published this one ? Where I can read it ? 

edited July 2021

JS Multipass new sample

Again, revisit the multipass pwToon render and photoshop companion .

Still "ironing complex stuff" to make easier to get variety of NPR styles . I`ll posting the update in freebie thread

TextureOVerlay.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 1M
This discussion has been closed.