More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

19091929496

Comments

  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 121

    Oso3D said:

    Using my OsoToon

     Really love the shading especially in skin and lighter area  . Great render !! 

    @pavsikakyj WOW...thats amazing !!

  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 6,332

    Oso3D said:

    Using my OsoToon

    You should make some easy to follow, step by step tutorial, so maybe more people will use it. I can't.

     

  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,414

    I started a thread here to talk about using OsoToon:

    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/493731/osotoon-feedback

     

  • I can't remember if I posted this one here already, but here is my own attempt at using OsoToon!

    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/6736226870624256#gallery=newest&page=1&image=881736

  • pavsikakyjpavsikakyj Posts: 99
    edited May 10

    PwToon+Ubersoft, Photoshop, PhotoSckethcer

     

    back1.png
    1280 x 720 - 798K
    Post edited by pavsikakyj on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 6,332

    Oso3D said:

    I started a thread here to talk about using OsoToon:

    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/493731/osotoon-feedback

     

    Thanks for that. Will try to follow the tips there.

     

  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 6,332

    Nice look, @pavsikakyj

  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,414

    And another, tweaking method:

    In this case I used shader pass to create a sketchy look (soft light) and then straight shader result (overlay) to darken and get the light balance right.

     

  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,532
    edited May 11

    Oso3D said:

    And another, tweaking method:

    In this case I used shader pass to create a sketchy look (soft light) and then straight shader result (overlay) to darken and get the light balance right.

    great to see you,

    you've got something great going on in this one. On the edge of realistic and clearly/intentionally toon.

    best,

    --ms

    Post edited by mindsong on
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 786

     

    Rendered in DAZ 4.15 with Iray

    3D model "Dinokonda" purchased at DAZ 

    Postwork Photoshop CC 2021, Topaz Studio 2 (Impression filter), ArtRage 6

     

     

  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 6,332

    @kenmo: Could you reveal what you do in each program, even briefly, please.

     

  • kenmokenmo Posts: 786

    Artini said:

    @kenmo: Could you reveal what you do in each program, even briefly, please.

     

    1) Open up the DAZ render in Photoshop CC 2021

    (I render to a PNG so there is no background or only the data to appear in the background)

     

    2) Change the image from 8 bit to 16 bit mode

     

    3) Duplicate the layer several times

     

    4) Leave the bottom layer alone and lock it

     

    Within Photoshop  run Topaz Studio 2 as a plugin.

     

    5) The layer above the bottom layer is opened up in Topaz Studio 2

    Under Add Filter, select Impression

    Select a brush under stroke (I usually select brush #1,2,3 or 7)

    Set the number of strokes to high

    Select the Brush size, the higher the more paintery it looks

    Under Texture - I set Background Type to original. This eliminates any canvas from showing through and fills the voids with the original image

    Select Accept

    In Photoshop turned down the saturation to near desaturation but not completely.

     

    6) I now select the second layer above the bottom original & launch Topaz Studio

    Under Add Filter I select Remix and then option Ashen Waves (or sometimes Charcoal Edges or Ink Blot)

    In my Dragon Snake I selected Ink Bot. In Lost Warrior I selected Ahsen Waves.

    Under the Saturation slider, I desaturate the image by pulling the slider to the extreme left.

    I play with the Brighness & Contrast slider to get the amount of ink or pencil lines I want.

    Select Accept

    In Photoshop select layer mode to multiply

     

    7) I did not do this step for my Lost Warrior but used it on Dragon Snake

    Select the third layer above the bottom layer

    And place a canvas texture below it.

    Merge the two layers.

    Launch Studio. Under Add Look search for Da Vinci Sketch and select the one you like best.

    Play with the number of strokes, brush size etc. I try for a sketchy look with random pencil sketchs 

    on the background

    Select Accept

     

    8) Delete the bottom original layer or make it invisible and move the Da Vinci sketch layer to the bottom

    And place some textures on top of the Da Vinci sketch. Adjust the opacity & layer mode of the texture layer.

     

    9) Now mask out what you do not want to show in any of the layers and you should have something like my Dragon Snake and merge the layer. Save to PNG or Tiff

     

    10) Open up in Artrage and place a layer underneath and place some brush strokes using the Thick Oil brush and create some brush strokes. I also use the paint tube and move it about with the palette knife to create an impasto look like in my Ape in the Gold Helmet or Lost Warrior. For my Dargon Snake I did not do this. I created two layers above the rendered image where  added some color to the dragon in one layer (blend mode of layer set to color)  and added more pencil marks to the other laye ABOVE the rendered image (blend mode set to normal)

     

    I hope this helps.

  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 6,332

    kenmo said:

    Artini said:

    @kenmo: Could you reveal what you do in each program, even briefly, please.

     

    1) Open up the DAZ render in Photoshop CC 2021

    (I render to a PNG so there is no background or only the data to appear in the background)

     

    2) Change the image from 8 bit to 16 bit mode

     

    3) Duplicate the layer several times

     

    4) Leave the bottom layer alone and lock it

     

    Within Photoshop  run Topaz Studio 2 as a plugin.

     

    5) The layer above the bottom layer is opened up in Topaz Studio 2

    Under Add Filter, select Impression

    Select a brush under stroke (I usually select brush #1,2,3 or 7)

    Set the number of strokes to high

    Select the Brush size, the higher the more paintery it looks

    Under Texture - I set Background Type to original. This eliminates any canvas from showing through and fills the voids with the original image

    Select Accept

    In Photoshop turned down the saturation to near desaturation but not completely.

     

    6) I now select the second layer above the bottom original & launch Topaz Studio

    Under Add Filter I select Remix and then option Ashen Waves (or sometimes Charcoal Edges or Ink Blot)

    In my Dragon Snake I selected Ink Bot. In Lost Warrior I selected Ahsen Waves.

    Under the Saturation slider, I desaturate the image by pulling the slider to the extreme left.

    I play with the Brighness & Contrast slider to get the amount of ink or pencil lines I want.

    Select Accept

    In Photoshop select layer mode to multiply

     

    7) I did not do this step for my Lost Warrior but used it on Dragon Snake

    Select the third layer above the bottom layer

    And place a canvas texture below it.

    Merge the two layers.

    Launch Studio. Under Add Look search for Da Vinci Sketch and select the one you like best.

    Play with the number of strokes, brush size etc. I try for a sketchy look with random pencil sketchs 

    on the background

    Select Accept

     

    8) Delete the bottom original layer or make it invisible and move the Da Vinci sketch layer to the bottom

    And place some textures on top of the Da Vinci sketch. Adjust the opacity & layer mode of the texture layer.

     

    9) Now mask out what you do not want to show in any of the layers and you should have something like my Dragon Snake and merge the layer. Save to PNG or Tiff

     

    10) Open up in Artrage and place a layer underneath and place some brush strokes using the Thick Oil brush and create some brush strokes. I also use the paint tube and move it about with the palette knife to create an impasto look like in my Ape in the Gold Helmet or Lost Warrior. For my Dargon Snake I did not do this. I created two layers above the rendered image where  added some color to the dragon in one layer (blend mode of layer set to color)  and added more pencil marks to the other laye ABOVE the rendered image (blend mode set to normal)

     

    I hope this helps.

    Thank you, very, very much. Very nice description and I like that you have used iray render as a base.

  • kenmokenmo Posts: 786

    Yes, I prefer to use IRAY. However in the image "Gorilla with Gold Helmet" I used 3D Delight as there were no Iray materials for the Gen 2 Gorilla.

    In ArtRage if you place a blank layer BELOW your images. The brush strokes will appear in the layer above but with no color. Only the strokes appear. I also use this technic in my photo paintings.

  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,414

    Experimenting with FotoSketcher again, finding some great combos (I think this ended up being Pencil 1 Hard Light over Watercolor 5)

  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,414

    UltraScenery and good ol' PWToon.

    Forest pwt.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 494K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,414

    Been obsessed with not doing the project I should be doing.

     

  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 121

    Oso3D said:

    Been obsessed with not doing the project I should be doing.

     

     Impressive images !!! and for " Been obsessed with not doing the project I should be doing." I feel you :)

  • kenmokenmo Posts: 786

    tkdrobert said:

    Spiderman Poster

     

     

    Love it... Looks awesome....

     

  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,414

    UltraScenery, thicket man tweaked to look crystalline, Crayon Master (FilterForge) & Watercolor 5 (FotoSketcher)

     

  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 6,332

    Looks amazing, Oso3D.

    What did you have used in the famous "Been obsessed with not doing the project I should be doing."

    Thanks for any tips on that.

     

  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,414

    And more.

    I tend to use Crayon Master (FilterForge), then posterize lightness (FF) if I want a very smooth color or Watercolor (FotoSketcher) if I want something more artistically clumpy.

    In this case I waffled a lot until I made sure to send a really high contrast image to get a good Crayon Master look.

  • pavsikakyjpavsikakyj Posts: 99
    edited May 18

    Tuned textures with FotoSketcher

     

    dormroom.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by pavsikakyj on
  • pavsikakyjpavsikakyj Posts: 99
    edited May 18

    Added some outlines with Topaz Studio

     

    room25.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 209K
    Post edited by pavsikakyj on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,414

    First is all PWToon, second is PWToon lines plus PWToon color filtered through FilterForge.

  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 121

    Oso3D said:

    First is all PWToon, second is PWToon lines plus PWToon color filtered through FilterForge.

    Nice render and style  

  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 121
    edited May 19

    Filament Photoshop Post

    Trying Filament as base render and give color shift+boost in photoshop

    Filamnet Photoshop.jpg
    1500 x 638 - 857K
    Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,414
    edited May 19

    Nothing fancier than straight PWToon render. My recent discovery that render line tessellation 1 works great with PWToon has really... enthused me. The only real trick now is managing lighting and simplifying textures and relying more on bump and outline to define many elements (particularly background elements).

    This is my vulpine. So, again, texture mapping doesn't work for dhair, but in this case a single color works fine (if I wanted I could take the time to separate out zones and create multiple fur items, but I didn't feel like it)

    Previously I had used a narrow threshold for shading to create a more 'toon' sense. Now I'm electing to control that more with lighting (with some shadow softness, but not much, and no AO). A lot of the simpler appearance I had hoped to achieve is really best done by changing the textures to be either a single color or, if I need to, really go in and make a newer, very subtle shaded texture.

     

    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 6,332

    juvesatriani said:

    Filament Photoshop Post

    Trying Filament as base render and give color shift+boost in photoshop

    Very nice and Filament is very fast to render. Please make more Filament based images. How to deal with Genesis 8 characters in Filament?

     

  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 6,332

    Oso3D said:

    Nothing fancier than straight PWToon render. My recent discovery that render line tessellation 1 works great with PWToon has really... enthused me. The only real trick now is managing lighting and simplifying textures and relying more on bump and outline to define many elements (particularly background elements).

    This is my vulpine. So, again, texture mapping doesn't work for dhair, but in this case a single color works fine (if I wanted I could take the time to separate out zones and create multiple fur items, but I didn't feel like it)

    Previously I had used a narrow threshold for shading to create a more 'toon' sense. Now I'm electing to control that more with lighting (with some shadow softness, but not much, and no AO). A lot of the simpler appearance I had hoped to achieve is really best done by changing the textures to be either a single color or, if I need to, really go in and make a newer, very subtle shaded texture.

     

    So it looks like, PWToon strikes again and gives even better results than any iray based techniques.

    Very nice images.

     

Sign In or Register to comment.