More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

19495969799

Comments

  • csaacsaa Posts: 75

    I like this! It's well done.

    Cheers!

    juvesatriani said:

    JS Multipass new sample

    Again, revisit the multipass pwToon render and photoshop companion .

    Still "ironing complex stuff" to make easier to get variety of NPR styles . I`ll posting the update in freebie thread

  • leohr_aicragleohr_aicrag Posts: 13

    juvesatriani said:

    leohr_aicrag said:

    Hello, Everyone:

    I have been a DAZ user since approximately June 2015. However, this is probably only my second time perhaps that I’ve ever posted to the forums, and I don’t believe I’ve ever posted to the gallery – so hopefully my attachments will upload properly.

    I just happened to stumble upon this thread and was moved to post today because 1) of all your inspiringly well-executed NPR images that I see being posted, as well as 2) everyone’s gracious generosity in sharing their personal workflows and post processing recipes.

    Re: Consistency

    With respect to NPRs, my kryptonite is comic book style images – especially in the styles of the late Bronze / early Modern comic book ages, which were the styles I grew up reading – and I have been trying to mimic those styles with Daz Studio/Gimp for years now.

     

    Love it !! Do you already published this one ? Where I can read it ? 

    Thanks, juvesatriani!

    No, haven't published anything yet - still working out the story. Just like the comic panel, it is set in fanasy medieval England, though.

  • leohr_aicragleohr_aicrag Posts: 13

    juvesatriani said:

    JS Multipass new sample

    Again, revisit the multipass pwToon render and photoshop companion .

    Still "ironing complex stuff" to make easier to get variety of NPR styles . I`ll posting the update in freebie thread

    I wish I had gotten the pwToon shader when it was available . . . if only I had known about this thread a lot sooner.

    Hopefully PoseWorks will come out of retirement.

    Do the various colors represent the different material zones on the model?

  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 250
    edited July 29

    leohr_aicrag said:

    juvesatriani said:

     

     

    I wish I had gotten the pwToon shader when it was available . . . if only I had known about this thread a lot sooner.

    Hopefully PoseWorks will come out of retirement.

    Do the various colors represent the different material zones on the model?

     I`m not sure about single pwToon but I`ve seen pwShader Bundle in store several months ago . pwToon should be included in that bundle (as far I know)

    About different color yes, those are came from Material zone in model . Using model which have complex material zone will help when doing postwork . And ultimately for Outline render

    Although I manually assign each MAT zone for outline color, I will sugesting people who serious about doing NPR ( straight or enhance later using 2D graphic editor) to  invest in OSO toon shader . His package have Script to automate several MAT ID color with less click and work flawlessy in 3delight outline render

    @csaa thanks for like

    Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 393

    The toon shader is included in the pw Shaders Bundle as juvesatriani pointed out. There are a few other toon shaders floating about form to good old days.

  • pavsikakyjpavsikakyj Posts: 112

    juvesatriani said:

    JS Multipass new sample

    Again, revisit the multipass pwToon render and photoshop companion .

    Still "ironing complex stuff" to make easier to get variety of NPR styles . I`ll posting the update in freebie threa

    Now that's impressive! What are your PWToon parameters? Espesially Diffuse bounds and color rim mode.

    As for outlines, Topaz Studio glow efect gives really good results, when you don't want to do multipass rendering.   

  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 250
    edited August 3

    @pavsikakyj here my setting . I`ll release another pwToon presets in (next) couple days . I think You`ll like it , because those very vesatile and flexible , You can mix and match color between diffuse and shading color with ease , but keep the other setting untouched . 

    Although it still can`t beat  Multipass technique in term of flexibility but with this one you`re only need one pass/render

     As you can see this is sample of pwToon and DAZ straight render .  For detail shoot I recomended  using geoshel to enhance my fake outline 

    Setting.jpg
    1920 x 990 - 683K
    Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • juvesatriani said:

    @pavsikakyj here my setting . I`ll release another pwToon presets in (next) couple days . I think You`ll like it , because those very vesatile and flexible , You can mix and match color between diffuse and shading color with ease , but keep the other setting untouched . 

    Although it still can`t beat  Multipass technique in term of flexibility but with his one you`re only need one pass/render

     As you can see this is sample of pwToon and DAZ straight render .  For detail shoot I recomended  using geoshel to enhance my fake outline 

    Which character is that?

  • pavsikakyjpavsikakyj Posts: 112

    juvesatriani said:

    @pavsikakyj here my setting . I`ll release another pwToon presets in (next) couple days . I think You`ll like it , because those very vesatile and flexible , You can mix and match color between diffuse and shading color with ease , but keep the other setting untouched . 

    Although it still can`t beat  Multipass technique in term of flexibility but with his one you`re only need one pass/render

     As you can see this is sample of pwToon and DAZ straight render .  For detail shoot I recomended  using geoshel to enhance my fake outline 

     

     

    Awesome! Thank you very much!

  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 250

    TheNathanParable said:

    juvesatriani said:

    @pavsikakyj here my setting . I`ll release another pwToon presets in (next) couple days . I think You`ll like it , because those very vesatile and flexible , You can mix and match color between diffuse and shading color with ease , but keep the other setting untouched . 

    Although it still can`t beat  Multipass technique in term of flexibility but with his one you`re only need one pass/render

     As you can see this is sample of pwToon and DAZ straight render .  For detail shoot I recomended  using geoshel to enhance my fake outline 

    Which character is that?

    The character is Dark Magic Girl from Shinteo in Devianart and his patreon .  He and CheckerToo have converted/adapted  several Anime and Game character to G8 and G8.1 (for FAN ART  )

  • leohr_aicragleohr_aicrag Posts: 13

    @juvesatriani
    Thanks for pointing me to OSO toon shader. I purchased it awhile back but didn’t give it fair of a chance to make it into my workflow. However, will play around with it again. I guess, however, I will have to get up to speed on 3DL rendering as right now I use almost exclusively iRay photorealistic, despite the common wisdom that 3DL is better for NPR renders - I just always seemed to have better luck manipulating iRay renders in Gimp. However, the beauty of your work, among those of others in this thread, using 3DL or Blender is making me seriously consider changing my workflow.

    The use of the material zones and a 3DL outline render is a potential that intrigues me – it looks like an easy way to flat a comic panel if I wanted to color it manually. However, at the same time that I’m playing around with OSO, I’ll have to figure out what an “outline” render in 3DL is, LOL.

    @juvesatriani, @Tugpsx
    I just checked out the pwShader Bundle. However, pwToon is no longer included with it. With the results I'm seeing that can be obtwith it, I’m kicking myself in the pants that I didn’t get it when it was available.

  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 250
    edited July 31

    leohr_aicrag said:

    @juvesatriani
    Thanks for pointing me to OSO toon shader. I purchased it awhile back but didn’t give it fair of a chance to make it into my workflow. However, will play around with it again. I guess, however, I will have to get up to speed on 3DL rendering as right now I use almost exclusively iRay photorealistic, despite the common wisdom that 3DL is better for NPR renders - I just always seemed to have better luck manipulating iRay renders in Gimp. However, the beauty of your work, among those of others in this thread, using 3DL or Blender is making me seriously consider changing my workflow.

    The use of the material zones and a 3DL outline render is a potential that intrigues me – it looks like an easy way to flat a comic panel if I wanted to color it manually. However, at the same time that I’m playing around with OSO, I’ll have to figure out what an “outline” render in 3DL is, LOL.

    @juvesatriani, @Tugpsx
    I just checked out the pwShader Bundle. However, pwToon is no longer included with it. With the results I'm seeing that can be obtwith it, I’m kicking myself in the pants that I didn’t get it when it was available.

    Have you seen my free photoshop action in here ? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/509776/updated-js-toon-kit-v-2-photoshop-action-to-turn-your-iray-render-into-comic-or-toon-style#latest 

    i`ve created that action to convert IRAY or realistic render into "slightly" comic - toon -NPR style . The best workflow is whatever worked for you . It doesnt matter it came for  3DL or IRAY

    About outline rendered is one of default render engine shipped with DAZ Studio . It will outputting several outline type images  from NORMAL + DEPTH and  COLOR ID .

    Article in DAZ blog explaining more detail . You can visit here https://blog.daz3d.com/make-comic-book-quality-cartoon-drawings-with-daz-studio/

    or for brief introduction you can check this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrKXSeiGYp0

     

    Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,430
    edited August 11

    DELETED

    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 8,912

    mmitchell_houston said:

    Headwax said:

     

    Three Removalists

    nod to the ashcan school

    Verrrrry nice. And thanks for mentioning the "ashcan school." The second you said it this totally clicked for me. I really like the style, and I love your posing and composition (and there is something really cool about how the dog seems to be looking at us. Two things that really work here are the poses and body shapes. They are slumping and slouching, like real people do. Honestly, one of the things that I most often see in 3D art is that the figures are too often standing straight or acting like models with perfect posture. Also, I like that the guys are skinny and the clothes are somewhat baggy. This is a really effective painting. And then, of course, there is the story. What the heck is a guy from the 1930s (based on clothes, truck and setting) doing with an iPod or phone or whatever it is? Is this time travel? A movie set? I wanna know!

     sorry just saw this , Ashcan school is pretty amazing, thanks for the very kind comments. Ah the phone in the hand - I did it when a bunch of removailists here in Oz were "busted' by the media for leaving a covid hotspot and entering regional country areas whi9le knowing they were Covid positive. Hence the phone. In reality it turns out that the media 'probably; got the story wrong. As you know , the media will invent anything for a story. 

  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 8,912

    juvesatriani said:

    JS Multipass new sample

    Again, revisit the multipass pwToon render and photoshop companion .

    Still "ironing complex stuff" to make easier to get variety of NPR styles . I`ll posting the update in freebie thread

     that's a wow! and the other one you posted of the female a wow as well.

  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 8,912

    leohr_aicrag said:

    juvesatriani said:

    leohr_aicrag said:

    Hello, Everyone:

    I have been a DAZ user since approximately June 2015. However, this is probably only my second time perhaps that I’ve ever posted to the forums, and I don’t believe I’ve ever posted to the gallery – so hopefully my attachments will upload properly.

    I just happened to stumble upon this thread and was moved to post today because 1) of all your inspiringly well-executed NPR images that I see being posted, as well as 2) everyone’s gracious generosity in sharing their personal workflows and post processing recipes.

    Re: Consistency

    With respect to NPRs, my kryptonite is comic book style images – especially in the styles of the late Bronze / early Modern comic book ages, which were the styles I grew up reading – and I have been trying to mimic those styles with Daz Studio/Gimp for years now.

     

    Love it !! Do you already published this one ? Where I can read it ? 

    Thanks, juvesatriani!

    No, haven't published anything yet - still working out the story. Just like the comic panel, it is set in fanasy medieval England, though.

    great to see a narrative - love the 'forthwith' in the dialogue

     

  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 8,912
    edited August 11

     sorry triple post!!!

     

     

    Post edited by Headwax on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 8,912
    edited August 11

    Make that quadroople post! Ugh apologies.

    Post edited by Headwax on
  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 250

    mmitchell_houston said:

    Early draft of a fanzine cover I'm working on. I'm trying to capture the old look of the Gold Key adventure comics from the 1960s & 70s. Titles like Doctor Spektor, Tragg, Dagar, The Phantom and Turok Son of Stone had amazing painted covers by an artist named George Wilson. He had such a dynamic style that conveyed a strong sense of motion and excitement. I'm not trying to duplicate his work, but I definitely want to convey that style and era. The character is a horror-themed superhero and the evil guy is the villain. 

    So, reactions welcome. Does this look painted or does it look like Poser art run through a few filters?

    Workflow: Firefly Renders in Poser Pro 11, background created in Clip Studio Paint, elements composed in Photoshop, and painting effects created in Topaz Studio 2.

    Very cool Poster and scene !!

    . Just beware about color saturation which sometimes can give you trouble in "printed" medium . 

    @Headwax Thanks for nice and kind words . Those words encourage me to keep doing experiment and be better . Thanks again

  • pavsikakyjpavsikakyj Posts: 112
    edited August 3

    Modified juvesatriani's PWToon settings and added some Photoshop and Topaz filters

    tif2.jpg
    580 x 920 - 42K
    Post edited by pavsikakyj on
  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 250
    edited August 3

    IRAY JSTOON KIT

    Here the IRAY and some overprocessed Photoshop filter and layer stack 

    Monster.jpg
    1125 x 1380 - 1M
    Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 6,555

    juvesatriani said:

    IRAY JSTOON KIT

    Here the IRAY and some overprocessed Photoshop filter and layer stack 

    Another amazing piece of art - your skills in Photoshop are huge and well executed.

  • juvesatriani said:

    Have you seen my free photoshop action in here ? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/509776/updated-js-toon-kit-v-2-photoshop-action-to-turn-your-iray-render-into-comic-or-toon-style#latest 

    i`ve created that action to convert IRAY or realistic render into "slightly" comic - toon -NPR style . The best workflow is whatever worked for you . It doesnt matter it came for  3DL or IRAY

    About outline rendered is one of default render engine shipped with DAZ Studio . It will outputting several outline type images  from NORMAL + DEPTH and  COLOR ID .

    Article in DAZ blog explaining more detail . You can visit here https://blog.daz3d.com/make-comic-book-quality-cartoon-drawings-with-daz-studio/

    or for brief introduction you can check this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrKXSeiGYp0

     

    Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU!

              . . . I read through the tutorial link you pointed me to, and am itching to try it. This weekend I'll install G'MIC into my GIMP and try to follow the tutorial as best as I can.

              . . . I also watched the tutorial regarding Scripted 3DL outline renders, and will read through the blog post.

    Both of these techniques look very useful and are something I could definitely incorporate into my workflow.

    After I get both of these techniques down, I'd also like to get pointers from you on Blender NPR images for comics. However, that will have to wait because both of these techniques look very promising and within reach for now because I would like to get to the level of being at least a competent Blender user first . . . as right now I am still very much a newbie. I should have forced myself to get up to speed when they introduced Blender 2.8 but I procrastinated and now I hate myself every day for it. Doh! :-)

  • mmitchell_houston said:

    Early draft of a fanzine cover I'm working on. I'm trying to capture the old look of the Gold Key adventure comics from the 1960s & 70s. Titles like Doctor Spektor, Tragg, Dagar, The Phantom and Turok Son of Stone had amazing painted covers by an artist named George Wilson. He had such a dynamic style that conveyed a strong sense of motion and excitement. I'm not trying to duplicate his work, but I definitely want to convey that style and era. The character is a horror-themed superhero and the evil guy is the villain. 

    So, reactions welcome. Does this look painted or does it look like Poser art run through a few filters?

    Workflow: Firefly Renders in Poser Pro 11, background created in Clip Studio Paint, elements composed in Photoshop, and painting effects created in Topaz Studio 2.

    I'm not familiar with the comic series you were inspired by, but I love the poster.

              Re: "Does this look painted . . ."

    If you mean hand painted (which I surmise was how it might've been done back in the '60s and '70s), then yes - especially the background and the the villain's face (which to me look like after hand painting it the artist when back and used the tip of a sharp knife to meticulously scrape in added details to really emphasize the texture of the villain's skin at the forehead, eyebrows and face).

    Great Job! I absolutely love the poster art.

  • juvesatriani said:

    IRAY JSTOON KIT

    Here the IRAY and some overprocessed Photoshop filter and layer stack 

    Looks awesome! I like the color grading and color palette, and especially love that fact that the background bloom doesn't distract away from the bloom in the character's eyes. Instead the background bloom along with the highlights on the characters back and forehead frame his eyes. I also love the balance between the light and dark areas.

    Overall, I absolutely love it!

  • pavsikakyj said:

    Modified juvesatriani's PWToon settings and added some Photoshop and Topaz filters

    Wow, I'm envious on how you achieved these results. It's painted and looks very finished, but not over processed.

    I like that it looks very much like a comic render / Norman Rockwell-ish illustration. I especially love how the eyes were rendered.

    If you feel like sharing your workflow, I'd be interested -- but no pressure.

    Either way, please keep posting!

  • Headwax said:

    mmitchell_houston said:

    Headwax said:

     

    Three Removalists

    nod to the ashcan school

    Verrrrry nice. And thanks for mentioning the "ashcan school." The second you said it this totally clicked for me. I really like the style, and I love your posing and composition (and there is something really cool about how the dog seems to be looking at us. Two things that really work here are the poses and body shapes. They are slumping and slouching, like real people do. Honestly, one of the things that I most often see in 3D art is that the figures are too often standing straight or acting like models with perfect posture. Also, I like that the guys are skinny and the clothes are somewhat baggy. This is a really effective painting. And then, of course, there is the story. What the heck is a guy from the 1930s (based on clothes, truck and setting) doing with an iPod or phone or whatever it is? Is this time travel? A movie set? I wanna know!

     sorry just saw this , Ashcan school is pretty amazing, thanks for the very kind comments. Ah the phone in the hand - I did it when a bunch of removailists here in Oz were "busted' by the media for leaving a covid hotspot and entering regional country areas whi9le knowing they were Covid positive. Hence the phone. In reality it turns out that the media 'probably; got the story wrong. As you know , the media will invent anything for a story. 

    I like the artwork - though I admit that I'm unfamiliar with both the removalist and ashcan art movements . . . I must have ditched class the day they were discussed in Art History, LOL. But for me art history was boring for the most part and, with the exception of when we were studying the high renaissance period, I ditched alot of days!

    Anyway, the observations noted by mmitchel_houston were right on point . . . this is a truly a piece anyone would be proud to hang on their wall!

  • pavsikakyjpavsikakyj Posts: 112

    leohr_aicrag said:

    pavsikakyj said:

    Modified juvesatriani's PWToon settings and added some Photoshop and Topaz filters

    Wow, I'm envious on how you achieved these results. It's painted and looks very finished, but not over processed.

    I like that it looks very much like a comic render / Norman Rockwell-ish illustration. I especially love how the eyes were rendered.

    If you feel like sharing your workflow, I'd be interested -- but no pressure.

    Either way, please keep posting!

    Thanks. For eyes, hair and teeth I use Ubersurface since it allows to turn occlusion off (this drastically increases render speed). It also allows reflections and ambient emission. I'd advice to make eye moisture fully invisible for bott eyes and lashes. I make cornea almost opacue with only reflections enabled and high glossiness on (settings depend on lighting you use). Irises, pupils and scleras I make with active ambient.
     

    For postwork I use Photoshop and Topaz Studio 2. I can make an ation (actually I use one), but it will require Topaz installed and acitvated as plugin in Ps. It will also require manual applying at least 3 topaz looks and 1 my own preset.

    I can upload some presets here if someone interested.

  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,031

    juvesatriani said:

    JS Multipass new sample

    Again, revisit the multipass pwToon render and photoshop companion .

    Still "ironing complex stuff" to make easier to get variety of NPR styles . I`ll posting the update in freebie thread

     

    Looks very nice indeed. 

  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 250
    edited August 5

    Actually I want to give IRAY serious  learning time but  after almost 3 hour rendering , bring into photoshop etc  this one still end as NPR image surprisesad 

    Layer VisibilityDAZ.jpg
    1689 x 2534 - 4M
    MonoTone LEENA.jpg
    1288 x 2291 - 2M
    Post edited by juvesatriani on
This discussion has been closed.