DAZ 3D Human Figures - A History

Comments

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Thanks for putting this together Scott :)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited February 2014

Kharma said:
    Thanks for putting this together Scott :)

You are welcome!

Just finished making some updates to the first four posts on Page 1 of the thread, including:
    - Added Stephanie 6
    - Added information about UV sets
    - Added some information on using Gen6 content with the Genesis figure
    - Added some additional relevant product links

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited January 2015

The Morph Matrix
    (a chart containing links to many of the popular morph sets available at DAZ 3D)

Notes: this chart is not comprehensive (there are many other morphs not included here) and it is subjective (I've listed the ones that I personally consider to be most important, based mainly on my own experience). Not intended as an endorsement of these products over others that are not listed. Characters are not included, only morphs (with a few exceptions where there were gaps to fill). Also please note that many of the products listed below are also offered in various bundles, and it may be more economical to purchase them that way.

"Genesis" figures Genesis Genesis 2 Female Genesis 2 Male
    Head and Body Morphs Evolution Bundle G2F Morphs Bundle G2M Morphs Bundle
    Ethnic Morphs Ethnicity Bundle || * *
    *Various ethnic morph sets are available for Genesis 2 figures. Vendors who offer at least two such sets include: Cake One, Dogz, and SickleYield
    Muscle Morphs Muscularity Muscularity for G2F Muscularity for G2M
    Creature Morphs Creature Creator G2F Creature Creator | HD G2M Creature Creator | HD
    Legacy Shapes V4+M4 | S4 | Gen4 | Gen3 | D3 Gen5 | Gen4 | V4 Gen5 | Gen4 | M4
    Youth Morphs Growing Up Growing Up Growing Up
    Age Morphs Aging Aging Aging
    Shape Shift Shape Shift Shape Shift Shape Shift
    Head Morph Resource Kits 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | A5 1 | 2 | A6 | Lilith Gianni
    Body/Mixed Morph Resource Kits 1 | 2 1 | Mixed | Belle 6 (n/a)

4th Generation Figures: Victoria 4 Michael 4 Kids 4
    Head and Body Morphs Morphs++ Morphs++ Morphs++
    "Elite" Morphs V4 Elite M4 Elite (n/a)
    Ethnic Morphs Elite Ethnic Faces Elite Ethnic Faces Children of the World
    Age Morphs Aged for V4/M4 Aged for V4/M4 (n/a)
    Creature Morphs Creature Creator Creature Creator (n/a)
    Capsces Morphs Morphia Morphus Morphlet

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Thanks. It's really nice to have these so neatly laid out.

edited December 1969

Added references to Gianni, Giselle, and Aiko 6. Also added Fantastical Features G2M to the Morph Matrix above, seeing as G2M doesn't yet have a Creature Creator yet.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Thanks Scott, it's awesome that you keep this updated with new products, it is a huge help keeping it all straight. Any chance this could get a sticky so it would be alot easier for the new users to find?

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

I'll say thanks for this excellent wright-up of the base (foundation) figures/characters.

As for the "Compatibility Matrix", under "Characters".
    "A Character is a combination of Morphs and Textures. Please look in those sections to determine compatibility."
    That had me thinking that I could go to the "sections" hinted to, click the gen6 figure I had, and see a list or something of all the possible add on characters for that gen6 base. Such a place dose not exist, as of this time.

you simply need to dredge threw the entire store looking at every single character product page just to see that "O" it requires something other then what I had in the search to begin with.

So this thread has been far more useful then some other websites that simply skim over the existence of a generation before genesis, and don't cover anything beyond Victoria5 in any detail (she is sold with this hair style, doesn't it look lovely, bla, bla, bla).

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the update, Scott. I really appreciate the clear, concise way you lay it out for us.

• TrollgoblinTrollgoblin Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

Ehm...this may sound silly and noobish... but I've looked EVERYWHERE for horns for my M4 character.

I've found a bundle I'd love to use, it has all the shapes I want to use for my Mike.
    Buuut.. it's for 3rd Gen. Is it possible to use these? I find it very hard to see what's possible with 3rd Gen <-> 4th Gen.

Thank you!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Ehm...this may sound silly and noobish... but I've looked EVERYWHERE for horns for my M4 character.

I've found a bundle I'd love to use, it has all the shapes I want to use for my Mike.
    Buuut.. it's for 3rd Gen. Is it possible to use these? I find it very hard to see what's possible with 3rd Gen <-> 4th Gen.

Thank you!

There are horns in the http://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-creature-creator-add-ons
    You could use the Michael 3 horns on Michael 4 by positioning them manually and parenting them to M4's head.

• TrollgoblinTrollgoblin Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

You could use the Michael 3 horns on Michael 4 by positioning them manually and parenting them to M4's head.

Hi there and thanks for your swift reply.
    That's exactly what I needed to know! :D

Mucho thanks!

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited December 1969

Hi there and thanks for your swift reply.
    That's exactly what I needed to know! :D

Mucho thanks!

If the horns load in pairs, it can be difficult getting them to look right on a different head. If that's the case, split them into separate props. I can post directions if you like.

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434
    edited December 1969

Hi Scott,

I'm quite new to this topic of the compatible characters of the various generartions.

As user of the latest DAZ4.6 with Genesis 1 and 2 Male and Female have the question, what products for the generartion 6 are compatible to G2.
    Reading your list in your first posts of this thread, I got the impression, that I can apply every product described as "... for Michael 6" to my Genesis 2 Male. Is this correct or do I have to explicitly use (first purchase) the Michael 6 character for this purpose?

Andy

edited December 1969

smftrsd72 said:
    Hi Scott,

I'm quite new to this topic of the compatible characters of the various generartions.

As user of the latest DAZ4.6 with Genesis 1 and 2 Male and Female have the question, what products for the generartion 6 are compatible to G2.
    Reading your list in your first posts of this thread, I got the impression, that I can apply every product described as "... for Michael 6" to my Genesis 2 Male. Is this correct or do I have to explicitly use (first purchase) the Michael 6 character for this purpose?

Andy

It's not always the case that products for Michael 6 work fine with any Genesis 2 male, even if you don't own Michael 6, but it is true of most products.
    Hair and clothing for Michael 6 should work fine with any Genesis 2 male. Poses for M6 will work, but may require slight adjustments.

For characters, it gets a little more complicated, as it depends on the UV set that the textures utilize to "map" the images onto the 3D figure. Some characters use the Michael 6 UVs, which means the skin textures won't work if you don't own M6. If the character uses the Michael 5 UVs or Genesis 2 Male Base UVs, then the skin textures should work fine even if you don't own M6. In terms of the character morphs/shape, without Michael 6 it will work to an extent but won't look exactly as intended.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

This thread ROCKS!! :cheese:

THIS is something that we need to have a track record of. In fact, I think this needs more than just a thread. Someone needs to wiki this stuff. Are we allowed to create something like this for the Documentation Center, perhaps? :)

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited December 1969

The Millennium People - Generations 1 and 2

...Millennium Girls (preteen and preschool-aged girls), and the Millennium Boys (preteen and preschool-aged boys)...

Originally the boys were morphs of the girls and required you to own the girls, but later the boys were re-released as a stand alone.

edited December 1969

Thanks, RCDeschene and pwiecek! A wiki page is an interesting idea...

I've updated the compatibility info on the first page to include GenX2 (I'd originally written it before GenX2 came out and just realized that it had never been updated).

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much for this! I was getting very frustrated not knowing which UV sets were compatible with what, finding this thread was such a blessing. Thank you!

• zombiewhackerzombiewhacker Posts: 670
    edited December 1969

Genesis 2 is compatible with DS4.6+, and (via the DSON Importer) Poser 9+.

Only 4.6+, or is it also compatible with 4.5?
    edited December 1969

Genesis 2 is compatible with DS4.6+, and (via the DSON Importer) Poser 9+.

Only 4.6+, or is it also compatible with 4.5?
    If I recall correctly, Genesis 2 figures will load in DS 4.5, but not 100% correctly. Some of the features require the updates that were made in DS4.6.
    edited December 1969

Thanks. But 4.6 is still only in beta, correct, 4.5 being the last compete, official release?

edited December 1969

Thanks. But 4.6 is still only in beta, correct, 4.5 being the last compete, official release?

No, DS 4.6 has been out of beta for a while now. The last complete release is 4.6.3.52, which came out in May.
    edited December 1969

That's odd. When I search for DAZ in the store section I still see this page:

http://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-4

edited December 1969

That's odd. When I search for DAZ in the store section I still see this page:

http://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-4

The most recent version of the SDK (Software Development Kit) is version 4.5, that's what you're seeing there. But the latest full version of the software itself doesn't have a product page any more. Instead, you can get it using the Install Manager, or at this link: https://www.daz3d.com/get_studio
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the clarification. Appreciate it!

edited December 1969

The Morph Matrix
    (a chart containing links to many of the popular morph sets available at DAZ 3D)

Notes: this chart is not comprehensive (there are many other morphs not included here) and it is subjective (I've listed the ones that I personally consider to be most important, based mainly on my own experience). Not intended as an endorsement of these products over others that are not listed. Characters are not included, only morphs (with a few exceptions where there were gaps to fill). Also please note that many of the products listed below are also offered in various bundles, and it may be more economical to purchase them that way.

"Genesis" figures Genesis Genesis 2 Female Genesis 2 Male
    Head and Body Morphs Evolution Bundle G2F Morphs Bundle G2M Morphs Bundle
    Ethnic Morphs Ethnicity Bundle || Ethnics | Africa | Asia | E. Asia | Europe || Africa | Asia
    Muscle Morphs Muscularity FM Muscle Flexing Boris HD
    Creature Morphs Creature Creator G2F Creature Creator | HD G2M Creature Creator | HD
    Legacy Shapes V4+M4 | S4 | Gen4 | Gen3 | D3 Gen5 | Gen4 | V4 Gen5 | Gen4 | M4
    Youth Morphs Growing Up Growing Up Growing Up
    Age Morphs Aging Aging Aging
    Shape Shift Shape Shift Shape Shift Shape Shift
    Head Morph Resource Kits 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | A5 1 | 2 | A6 | Lilith Gianni
    Body Morph Resource Kits 1 | 2 1 | Mixed (n/a)

4th Generation Figures: Victoria 4 Michael 4 Kids 4
    Head and Body Morphs Morphs++ Morphs++ Morphs++
    "Elite" Morphs V4 Elite M4 Elite (n/a)
    Ethnic Morphs Elite Ethnic Faces Elite Ethnic Faces Children of the World
    Age Morphs Aged for V4/M4 Aged for V4/M4 (n/a)
    Creature Morphs Creature Creator Creature Creator (n/a)
    Capsces Morphs Morphia Morphus Morphlet

Updated to add Lilith 6 Morph Resource Kit, and since there are no muscle morphs yet for G2M, added Boris HD in that slot as that product contains some nice bend morphs. There are some ethnic morphs sets I haven't added, but that line is getting pretty full as it is...

edited December 1969

Hey, Scott. Did you get my attachment from a while back?

edited November 2014

Thanks for the reminder! :) I've updated the first few posts to include Reby Sky (thanks, RCDeschene), Mei Lin 6, and various miscellaneous improvements and minor corrections (some also thanks to RCDeschene).
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the reminder! :) I've updated the first few posts to include Reby Sky (thanks, RCDeschene), Mei Lin 6, and various miscellaneous improvements and minor corrections (some also thanks to RCDeschene).
    No problem! This is the stuff that I'm the DAZ Community for! :cheese:
  • TimmothTimmoth Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Sometime around the time V4 came out, there was a polygon comparison. That is, how many polygons the various figures had as a comparison of how much detail the characters (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Generation) had. Lately I was told that Genesis 1 has a lower polygon count than 3rd Generation and that was why character textures weren't exact on converting character textures from the original to the Genesis Legacy figures.

Anyone know where to find the polygon count comparison from 1st Gen to Genesis 2 figures?

Is there a texture converter to convert favorite character textures between 3rd generation, 4th generation and Genesis 2 figures?

Thanks

I would also like to know this info, please.
    What are the poly counts for Michael/Victoria 1, 2, 3, 4, G1, 2,etc?
    I think it would be good complimentary information to the original posts of this thread which drew me here.

Also, is there a way I can load a model into Daz and see it's poly count displayed somewhere?
    That way I could answer my own question...