The Mac FAQ

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Hello,

Inside the DIM folder in /Applications/DAZ 3D there is an installer for the cms.

You can first check if it is even installed by using the Activity Monitor to look for DAZ Content Management System. It is usually installed to /Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D, check there first if you're unsure where is was installed.

• DurirDurir Posts: 0
    edited January 2014

Hi Totte,

Thank you for getting back to me to help.

I had a check and everything is in there. The one thing that I have just spotted is in the download installer. You know when you have downloaded something it goes under there installed tab? I have about 280 items or so in it. Not one of them has a tick under smart now......... could that me part of the problem? Could it be that it is not installing right? It is just a thought......

Post edited by Durir on
    edited December 1969

Only certain items do have smartcontent, most older items does not. If DIM says it doens't have smartcontent, it doesn't.

edited December 1969

You see thats the thing. non of the listed content is showing as smart. i.e. Victoria and the likes. Talking of which, Victoria 4 and 5 does not show up at all!!! The installer shows that it has downloaded ok, but does not show up in Daz....... I will try and uninstall everything again and redo. Maybe that will help, but I have tried that before I asked on here, and it did not help. :( Do you think that I am missing something?

edited December 1969

Durir said:
    You see thats the thing. non of the listed content is showing as smart. i.e. Victoria and the likes. Talking of which, Victoria 4 and 5 does not show up at all!!! The installer shows that it has downloaded ok, but does not show up in Daz....... I will try and uninstall everything again and redo. Maybe that will help, but I have tried that before I asked on here, and it did not help. :( Do you think that I am missing something?

First, when you say "not visible at all", do you mean in smart content or in the content browser? Second, how are your content install paths setup? Where do DIM install content in contrast to where DS is looking for content. If that differs you will not find it unless you tell DS where to look.

edited January 2014

In both. Victoria 4 and 5 are not showing in both the smart content and the content browser. Genesis is showing ok though. I can not remember if the genesis model is smart or not, but that does not show as well. As I said nothing shows in the smart browser.

As for where things are installed, it has not changed from when I first installed it. I have kept the paths the same as what the program put down.

Post edited by Durir on
    edited December 1969

V5 is found in People/Genesis/Characters
    V4 is found in figures/DAZ People (That's where I find it)

Have you looked at those locations?

And for paths, I helped someone the just before xmas who has an extra after the path in DIM, but not in DS. You can always with the Finder just go to People/Genesis/Characters and see what you have there.

edited December 1969

I looked in both locations with in Daz but no joy. i think that I will have to start from scratch again. Rats. I guess it is the only way that I will know that I have not done something wrong. Something is not right, and I can not understand why things do not work now when before it was ok.....

Thank you for your help and very kind time. I will come back again if it does not work.

edited December 1969

I did it three times before I got the hang of it, then another two times when I decided to restructure the content, and that was before DIM, in the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from installers days.

edited December 1969

Right I have sorted it out. I thought that I would give a update just in case it helps anyone else who is kind of new to Daz and the way it works on a mac.

I did delete all of the software again, but I had the same problem as before. Still Victoria 4 and 5 did not show up at all, and there was no content in the smart panel. The second time I removed everything I did a search of my mac and deleted everything that was connected to Daz. What I found was, the Daz content management service did not uninstall each time I removed Daz. When I deleted that and reinstalled it, everything worked again. :)

So thank you Totte for helping me out so much. It really did help me. All I have to do now is work out how to install zipped files to Daz on a mac in a each way that I can work out...... I will do that tomorrow now. lol

edited December 1969

Have you tried my free RendoInstall? You find it here on my 4Eyes among some other tools I've done.

edited December 1969

Would that be rendoinstall? I am going to sound really thick now sorry. The where it is coming from part is easy, the folder where I keep my zip files. But the where too I am not sure. Also, do I need to change any thing for it to work? Like the format of the files and the likes? The site I got them from has it that it will work with Daz.

edited December 1969

Nope it will chew zipfiles that you get from other stores and does it right 99 out of 100 . Some artists have weird ways of storing DS stuff in the zip files that will confuse rendoinstall, anything in "Runtime" is OK handled. Anything DS needs to be in one of the DS folders usually used, like People, Props etc and of course data.

If you are unsure, create a new folder somewhere and tell RendoInstall to install there, check the "dont check folder names" (a legacy from DS 3), will fix that someday....

Then tell DS about that new content folder and check it.

/ Totte

edited December 1969

Ok, so you just tell the program to just send back to location then....... I will give it a try when I get home. Thank you again for you very kind help and I will let you know how I get one. :)

• lv426lv426 Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

I'm thinking of making the switch to a Mac. Can I assume that all Daz3d plugins, GenX, LMAH, ect, will work on a Mac as well? Or is this something I should research on a case by case basis?

Thanks.

edited December 1969

lv426 said:
    I'm thinking of making the switch to a Mac. Can I assume that all Daz3d plugins, GenX, LMAH, ect, will work on a Mac as well? Or is this something I should research on a case by case basis?

Thanks.

GenX, LAMH, Garibaldi, they all work, Luxus too. There are only a few add ons that doesn't, like the RenderToRib scripts and some Runtime cleanup utilities.

You can check the plugin pages in the store, most says Win/Mac.

• lv426lv426 Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

Awesome, thanks for getting back to me.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 541
    edited December 1969

I have a couple of general DS Mac questions that I'm hoping Totte or another mac guru can help with please?

1. I can't seem to find a way to add the Render button onto the toolbar at the top like I had in Windows. I remember this happening the last time I had a mac but I don't remember if there was a solution or not.

2, Render Status box - Mine is stuck at the top, just under the menu bar. I can't seem to grab a hold of it to move it. This is the box that tells you how long the render is taking and far along it is. Any ideas?

3. Lastly, I have selected to render to a new window and when the render starts I get strange patterns across the window. It renders fine but the window is weird. I also remember this from when I had a mac before. Is this something we mac users just have to live with? No worries, just wondering.

Thanks!

edited December 1969

I have a couple of general DS Mac questions that I'm hoping Totte or another mac guru can help with please?

1. I can't seem to find a way to add the Render button onto the toolbar at the top like I had in Windows. I remember this happening the last time I had a mac but I don't remember if there was a solution or not.

Never tried that, I just hit Command-R to render.

2, Render Status box - Mine is stuck at the top, just under the menu bar. I can't seem to grab a hold of it to move it. This is the box that tells you how long the render is taking and far along it is. Any ideas?

It's a sheet, and it's tied to the windows, works as it should on OS X.

3. Lastly, I have selected to render to a new window and when the render starts I get strange patterns across the window. It renders fine but the window is weird. I also remember this from when I had a mac before. Is this something we mac users just have to live with? No worries, just wondering.

Thanks!

It's a bug reported ages ago, never been fixed. Random memory junk in the pixel buffer, not every time but sometimes.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 541
    edited December 1969

Thanks Totte,
    Yea, I know command + R. I'm just used to clicking on the render button. I can get used to doing it differently though, no worries.

Odd about the render status box. It can't be moved on a mac? Yea it works just fine. I just like to move it to the side as DS renders so I can see the time, or see if any errors come up, etc. I can get used to that too.

Thanks for response!

edited December 1969

OS X has sheets, which are modal windows tied to a window. Not really super cool in DS which only have one scene window, but in programs with many windows, only locking the particular window where the dialog is and letting the user work in another window is rely a good GUIO design, and you also have no problem knowing which dialog comes from which window.

• rebeccajlynchrebeccajlynch Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

I am using DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro on a Mac running Snow Leopard. On some of my content, I see weird symbols on the icon (see attached picture). On all the content with the check or "no" symbol, I can't seem to use it--even though I am trying to attach it to the correct base. What do those symbols mean, and why can I not use them?

DAZ_Materials_Image.jpg
    304 x 264 - 87K
  • MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

I am using DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro on a Mac running Snow Leopard. On some of my content, I see weird symbols on the icon (see attached picture). On all the content with the check or "no" symbol, I can't seem to use it--even though I am trying to attach it to the correct base. What do those symbols mean, and why can I not use them?

Why do you think it is not working? In fact, the Checkmark and the "no" symbol just mean "On" and "Off" for the vascularity displacement map. You cannot see the effect before render the scene. I hope this answer your question.

• rebeccajlynchrebeccajlynch Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Ah, I didn't realize that some things would only appear after rendering. Thank you for the help!

edited December 1969

Hi everyone,

Just a short (and I hope quick) question for you all.

Photoshop for Mac. Will Photoshop CC work with Daz? I just wanted to ask before I brought a copy.

Thanks for your time. :)

edited December 1969

I think the Photoshop bridge works with Photoshop CC on OS X.
    Can't say for sure, only have CS 5

edited December 1969

Hi Totte,

Thank you for getting back to me so fast.

Is there anyway I can find out that it will? As you know, Photoshop is not cheap, and I will only be getting it for Daz. If it does not work, then I will just spend the money in the shop here, but it would add loads to what I can do if it would work.

Thanks for you very kind time.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Spooky did say in another thread somewhere that it works with CC on a Mac, and they are currently working on getting it to do the same on a PC.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    DAZ_Spooky did say in another thread somewhere that it works with CC on a Mac, and they are currently working on getting it to do the same on a PC.

I was looking for that post... thx Chohole...

edited December 1969

Thanks for letting me know Chohole.

I was was spending ages looking around to see if I could find an answer to this. Great news. I will go over and get a copy now. :)

Thanks you again Totte for your help as well.