The Mac FAQ

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,497

inquire said:

Well, what if, along with copying the full DAZ library from one machine to another, you also copied from the ~/Library/Applicaiton Support, the DAZ3D folder, containing cms (see screen shot); would that  take care of the issue? There's also a similar folder in the Mac HD Library (not the System Library). (Again, see another screen shot.) In other words, what I'm wondering is if it is possible to copy over not only your full DAZ library, but other support library folders, and if such copying would solve the issue. Would that take care of it? (I basically know nothing about this stuff, so I'm just trying to understand and to educate myself. If what I'm saying betrays massive ignorance, please be kind with me.)

First attachment, on the left, is from the ~/Library; Second Attachment, a bit more to the right, is from the Mac HD Library.

That should work in the light of what Richard said, my experiment was with DS 4.6 I think. 

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291

My biggest concern at this point is that I'm moving all of my content from my 2014 MacBook Pro to a Win10 desktop, so I'm not sure the config file would help.

• ruiplrcruiplrc Posts: 0

Hello!

Im super brand new to this. I just downloaded DAZ on my brand new Mac and when i press "open" on the DAZSTUDIO nothing happens. It says it is installed but i cant seem to find DAZ Studio when i look for it. I have Big Sur on my mac. any tips on how to fix this?

UPDATE - I installed again DAZ Stuido and now this window appears. So i just have to wait for an update from Daz right? It doesnt work with this Mac update?

Screenshot 2021-03-26 at 04.55.43.png
    2034 x 756 - 246K
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,094

I believe that's the case: that DAZ Studio does not run on Big Sur.

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291

Yeah, no Big Sur love yet.

Hopefully "soon," but not yet. Same with Filament Render. The technology for the latter exists and is stable, but Daz doesn't support it yet due to code base issues.

I've heard that DAZ Studio is expected to be ready to run on Big Sur this July. 

@3Don: You might take a look at this Forum: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6601596#Comment_6601596

What does this have to do with you? Well, SereneNight in one of today's posts (March 29th) talks about using Nvidia GPUs and rendering with DS 4.15.

• 3Don3Don Posts: 690

Thanx.

• I know all about slow renders. I do not have a GPU either and here's my specs:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, late 2015)

3.2GHz Intel Core i5

8GB RAM 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M380 2 GB

But I don't really do large scenes. I sell single models mostly on different sites using Blender. I use Daz3D for all character work. The biggest projects I do are I model and sell Airplanes for the X-Plane simulator. But yes, without a GPU and having a older system rendering means cooking and eating dinner watching some TV or a movie and starting before going to bed and hopefully it's done when you wake up. Depending on size if it's an animation. 

• diego204diego204 Posts: 4
    edited April 2021

Hi all.

I am a newbie and I write from Italy.
    I downloaded DAZ Studio about a year ago and started doing some work (without problems) following the tutorials.
    After a break of a few months, yesterday I tried to start using it again but, apparently for no reason, the application did not work: at the opening, the message "A valid PostgreSQL connection could not be established ..." appeared.
    Clicking on OK the window disappears but I cannot open a new document with the CLEAR THE SCENE function or with the NEW command from the menu.

I am using a Mac with Mojave 10.14.6 installed. I deliberately did not update the system to avoid having problems with some apps that have not been adapted to Catalina and Big Sur. I don't have any antivirus or firewall installed that can conflict with the app.

I saw in the FAQ that this problem has already happened to other users, but all the cases already submitted seem to me a little different from mine and I'm not sure if any solutions already indicated will work as well in my case.
    I tried a couple of times to uninstall DAZ with DIM, re-download and reinstall but the problem remains the same.
    I read here that High Sierra was the last OS to support Nvidia. Could this be the problem? It is however strange because last year DAZ worked and my OS was already Mojave...

Please, could I have your opinion on what may have happened and what actions, checks and changes I could try to fix the problem?
    Thank you for your attention and the answers you will want to give me. smiley

Post edited by diego204 on

diego204 said:

Hi all.

I am a newbie and I write from Italy.
    I downloaded DAZ Studio about a year ago and started doing some work (without problems) following the tutorials.
    After a break of a few months, yesterday I tried to start using it again but, apparently for no reason, the application did not work: at the opening, the message "A valid PostgreSQL connection could not be established ..." appeared.
    Clicking on OK the window disappears but I cannot open a new document with the CLEAR THE SCENE function or with the NEW command from the menu.

I am using a Mac with Mojave 10.14.6 installed. I deliberately did not update the system to avoid having problems with some apps that have not been adapted to Catalina and Big Sur. I don't have any antivirus or firewall installed that can conflict with the app.

I saw in the FAQ that this problem has already happened to other users, but all the cases already submitted seem to me a little different from mine and I'm not sure if any solutions already indicated will work as well in my case.
    I tried a couple of times to uninstall DAZ with DIM, re-download and reinstall but the problem remains the same.
    I read here that High Sierra was the last OS to support Nvidia. Could this be the problem? It is however strange because last year DAZ worked and my OS was already Mojave...

Please, could I have your opinion on what may have happened and what actions, checks and changes I could try to fix the problem?
    Thank you for your attention and the answers you will want to give me. smiley

I have several threads about the postgres error.
    This one has several solutions: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/276991/postgresql-cms-connection-on-a-mac

• inquire said:

Unless they decide "lol nah let's forcefeed NFTs to people some more!", lmfao 

I really hope they do, but for now, I've got an extremely rough set-up using Diffeomorphic, Blender, and an external hard drive on a Mac mini /w one of the new Apple M1 chips. (Though I'm beginning to have buyer's remorse, seeing as I can't find a good enough monitor that's close to the Retina display... should've waited for the new iMac, ughhhh) 

edited May 2021

Panzer Emerald said:

inquire said:

Unless they decide "lol nah let's forcefeed NFTs to people some more!", lmfao 

I really hope they do, but for now, I've got an extremely rough set-up using Diffeomorphic, Blender, and an external hard drive on a Mac mini /w one of the new Apple M1 chips. (Though I'm beginning to have buyer's remorse, seeing as I can't find a good enough monitor that's close to the Retina display... should've waited for the new iMac, ughhhh) 

I Run a Philips 4K 27" monitor on the M1 Mini and it's ok ;) 

Post edited by Totte on
  • Anyone else having problems opening Daz Studio? I'm on Catalina and now my Daz suddendly won't open. It is stuck on this screen

Captura de Tela 2021-05-03 às 00.49.27.png
    1282 x 958 - 658K

tldmake and shader complier creates temporary files for DS (have no clue where they are on Windows but someone will remember, like @Richard_Haseltine. Delete those files and hit render again and they will be generated again. That's what happens when you quit, DS clears out its cache.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890

Totte said:

tldmake and shader complier creates temporary files for DS (have no clue where they are on Windows but someone will remember, like @Richard_Haseltine. Delete those files and hit render again and they will be generated again. That's what happens when you quit, DS clears out its cache.

In DS, click Edit - Preferences. It will show the location of the Temp and Cache folders, you can also specify your own.

I got three unknown callers on Facetime. I refused each call. Is this like spam? I'm guessing there's a way to easily delete these, right? Anything else I should do?

Facetime Unknown Callers.png
    322 x 232 - 53K

Most probably spammers, I your block them (but can't remember how right now).

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,150

Grrr, if you are on Catalina and have not yet installed security update 2021-002, try to avoid it. At least if you want to use dForce. Since my system installed it automatically OpenCL support seems to be gone and each time I try to simulate I get a "Error with initializing OpenCL kernels". I am p**** beyond belief.

Well, I'm running Catalina 10.15.7. I see the Security Update as an opiton. Usually, I just go right ahead and install them. Actually, I'm not using dForce. But, are there any other problems with this update? Anyone know? But, usually the update protects against such things as viruses, trojan horses, ransom ware, etc. Right? It seems a shame not to update. So, I'm hoping for some timely responses from people who know far more than I. (I don't know what to do.)

Looking through the patchlist I see nothing directly effecting open-cl, but several patches to various system parts have been done and something might of course cause this issue.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212326

Thanks, Totte.

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663

Rod Wise Driggo said:

Grrr, if you are on Catalina and have not yet installed security update 2021-002, try to avoid it. At least if you want to use dForce. Since my system installed it automatically OpenCL support seems to be gone and each time I try to simulate I get a "Error with initializing OpenCL kernels". I am p**** beyond belief.

I have this security update installed & dforce is working perfectly fine 

Thanks for the info. May we compare systems? From what I've read that update might have been the one causing OpenCL to fail but it could be a combination of things of course. Here is my configuration:

macOS: 10.15.7 with all recent minor/security updates (have automatical updates disabled for the moment)
    DAZ Studio: 4.15.0.2
    OpenCL Device: Apple Intel Core i9-9980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz

Do you have the same macOS & studio versions?

OpenCL Device: Apple Intel Core i9-9980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz

There you have it!

Intel Graphics Driver

Available for: macOS Catalina

Impact: A malicious application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges

Description: An out-of-bounds write issue was addressed with improved bounds checking.

CVE-2021-1834: ABC Research s.r.o. working with Trend Micro Zero Day Initiative

If you compile the Kernel for CPU, not GPU, does it work then?

Well, on the one hand good that a potential exploit was fixed. Bad though that it causes this "Error Initializing OpenCL kernels".

I have three options in studio for OpenCL devices:

1) CPU: Apple Intel Core i9-9980HK CPU @ 2.40 GHz
    2) GPU: Intel UHD Grapics 630
    3) GPU: ATI Radeon Pro 5500M Compute Engine

Always used CPU before as GPU did not work. All three options bring up the same error. The GPU options just show the "kernels need to be compiled" message before the error.

Now as the security update or fix might have caused this I wonder who can or should fix this: Apple or DAZ. Doubt that DAZ will do anything as the whole thing worked before Apple screwed up.

Have disabled auto-system-update to prevent from running into something similar in the future but for the moment I'm stuck. Not that I use dForce all the time but often enough to be seriously annoyed.

OK, so you have used CPU. I understand GPU openCL wont really work on the Intel CPU, but the Radeon5500M  it should work on. I can run OpenCL on my Radeon D700s on the MacPro 2014 and on the Radeon RX580 I use on one MacPro 2012, but need to use CPU on the machine running an nVidia 1070 as it crashes on that one using GPU.

Kernel needs to recompile is normal, once after a DS update or OS update though. Which DS version are you using?

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663

Rod Wise Driggo said:

Thanks for the info. May we compare systems? From what I've read that update might have been the one causing OpenCL to fail but it could be a combination of things of course. Here is my configuration:

macOS: 10.15.7 with all recent minor/security updates (have automatical updates disabled for the moment)
    OpenCL Device: Apple Intel Core i9-9980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz

MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 (with all monor/major security updates).  Auto Update turned Off

Processor : 3Ghz 6-Core Intel Core i5

GFX : Radeon Pro 570X 4GB

DAZ Studio 4.15.02 (Latest Stable Release)

• 42snoopy4242snoopy42 Posts: 21

Platnumk said:

Rod Wise Driggo said:

OpenCL Device: Apple Intel Core i9-9980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz

MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 (with all monor/major security updates).  Auto Update turned Off

Processor : 3Ghz 6-Core Intel Core i5

GFX : Radeon Pro 570X 4GB

DAZ Studio 4.15.02 (Latest Stable Release)

I have the same problem(s) OpenCL fails to compile on all three: MacOS 10.15.7 

Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB, 2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9