The Newest Evolution Is Here: The Daz Season Pass!

Comments

• JansillaJansilla Posts: 36

And I thought that both this and the Shudu NFT thing were late April Fools offerings. Perhaps that's what they will turn out to be...?

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

Pixel8ted said:

Nath said:

Pixel8ted said:

Too rich for my blood but to give myself feel a sense of worth I did spend the time to make myself a badge.  I feel better now.

You should sell those to all us 'forum-ites'!

Or even better, you should sell NFTs for it, so we can all have an 'original'!

Just for you since you made me laugh is a bonus badge I like to call the "I spent so much on content that I can't pay the power bill this month badge".

Edit: Alternately, this could be the "I have no idea what the create with all the things I bought badge".   I guess, you spend this kind of money to display this badge then you kind of get to name the badge whatever you want.

I am honoured, and I will display this badge with pride!

• TDBAGZTDBAGZ Posts: 163

Congrats you've discovered season passes... Those started back with what Battlefield 3 or even earlier? Those communities really loved them too... NOT!

Man after spending so much time reworking and waiting on updates for G8.1 (still) and just excepting that some things like Skin Builder and a stack of newly purchased G8 expressions wont work on G8.1. and then spending on more updates for G8.1 as replacements.

Not getting the build your own bundles, and freebies that are "Vault" worthy... aka obsolete trash most that isnt even for DS. Thats a NO from me dawg.

I'm betting the 5 are gonna be from the top 5 artist, you know the ones that always release charaters with a slight brow and nose adjustment and slight skin tint change and call it new.

Since you wanna draw from the game industry so much heres one... "Never buy pre-release"

At a time when DS was getting tediuous and boring you've managed to make it,... honestly a little rage inducing... congrats.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515

Robert Freise said:

brimstoneomega said:

Bahahahahaahahahahahahaahaha

You have got to be kidding.

I'm done.

Someone let me know when I can buy a real pro bundle again. With two free Genesis 3/2/1 pro bundles and $60 worth of Daz originals.

I feel bad for the new people here, this place used to be great.

I dabbled in Daz for a little bit before Genesis 8 came out with the free stuff I could get, and then I think it was March Madness, but I could be wrong, but Aiko 8 came out and I took the actual plunge and started buying A LOT of stuff. That was three years ago. I'm at nearly $10k spent, an average of $3k a year, so $250 a month. Used to be quite a lot more, I've not really bought much since Kwan came out. I love the bundles that came with him, but ever since.... not so much.

I'm sure others have spent a lot more than I have, but I still would consider myself a high spender here, I mean, I could have bought a car with that money. But now with everything the way it is I can't justify my addiction anymore. I can't even use like %90 of the characters I have because loading time is insane. I also don't remember Studio being as crazy sluggish as it is now. Things are going downhill fast in Dazneyland.

You had to make me look and I wish I hadn't surprise

..OK, how are you folks getting those totals of how much you spent?   

kyoto kid said:

Robert Freise said:

brimstoneomega said:

I'm done.

Someone let me know when I can buy a real pro bundle again. With two free Genesis 3/2/1 pro bundles and $60 worth of Daz originals.

I dabbled in Daz for a little bit before Genesis 8 came out with the free stuff I could get, and then I think it was March Madness, but I could be wrong, but Aiko 8 came out and I took the actual plunge and started buying A LOT of stuff. That was three years ago. I'm at nearly $10k spent, an average of $3k a year, so $250 a month. Used to be quite a lot more, I've not really bought much since Kwan came out. I love the bundles that came with him, but ever since.... not so much.

I'm sure others have spent a lot more than I have, but I still would consider myself a high spender here, I mean, I could have bought a car with that money. But now with everything the way it is I can't justify my addiction anymore. I can't even use like %90 of the characters I have because loading time is insane. I also don't remember Studio being as crazy sluggish as it is now. Things are going downhill fast in Dazneyland.

..OK, how are you folks getting those totals of how much you spent?   

If you have DAZ Deals installed, it's on the options menu of the add-on. Consider carefully if you want to know, though...

• Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588

If you have the DAZ Deals installed, Click on your "Orders". Yeah, I'm sad about the car I could own if not for my hobby.

...I do, but not getting that report, only the pricing timelines on product pages.

I love that badge.  Pretty much sums up my situation as well. 

Open up your extension for DAZ Deals and click on options. You have to have the box that says Total Spent & Total Value Owned checked. These totals will show up in your order history.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    edited April 2021

Nath said:

If you have DAZ Deals installed, it's on the options menu of the add-on. Consider carefully if you want to know, though...

smiley

surprise

crying

sad

indecision

"At least I got some good discounts."

This has been "My journey through the Daz-Deals order history." Thank you for coming along with me.

Post edited by margrave on
    edited April 2021

Robert Freise said:

brimstoneomega said:

I'm done.

OMG, I look at my report and lament the car that isn't but you my friend could own a really nice house for that chunk of change.    Edit: Oh wait, it's bad but not as bad as I first thought. I was looking at the current asset value of 404,000 USD. The 141,000.00 is bad but the 404,000 was faint worthy.

Post edited by Pixel8ted on
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,259
    edited April 2021

This Season Pass for 'only' US $ 150 to 180 is supposed to be valid for 2 months? Makes summa summarum US $ 900 - 1080 annually. For that I probably get per 'season' 5 caucasian girls with their HDs, access to contests I could participate in for free before, some freebies, a warm handshake and some badge that neither me nor anybody else cares about? Tutorials I used to be able to watch for free on YouTube, and pre-info which used to be available on PC+ when it was still called PC (haven't missed them too much)?

Let me think... Oh, I don't think I find this offer very interesting.

Post edited by caravelle on
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,078

Daz_Jessica said:

Charlie Judge said:

Ati said:

@Daz_Jessica How are pro bundles going to work? Do people with a seasonal pass get a bigger discount, since they already get the base character?

This. Like many, if I am interested in the character I will generally buy the bundle instead of just the character. So, how will the season pass affect the price of the bundles? If I want the bundle will I loose much of the benefit of having the Season Pass?

Yes! Owners of the season pass will get discounts on the bundles that include the figures unlocked by the pass. We've done this for quite a while for people who own pieces of bundles that have released. 

Sure, but the last time I remember, I owned half the bundle, and got a 20% discount (or something similar), so the question is still whether it's going to be worth it if I'm not into the standalone base characters, but into the pro bundles.

• Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687

Many years ago a couple of friends and I saw a sign for an outdoor auction about to take place as we were walking home.  None of us had any money, but we decided to take a look.  For entertainment value it was a good decision.  The auctioneer was a great salesman - he was funny, he had all the patter and he kept things moving, even though he looked and sounded like a sleazy used car salesman.  What I remember the most was that he asked the crowd if anyone wanted to take a £1 gamble on the next lot.  He managed to convince about 15 people to do so and then revealed that they had all just bought a box of laxitives.  No one really cared and there was some good-humoured laughter from the people who knew they had just been conned.  I seem to remember some people getting good bargains on used office equipment that day, but it's the, "Come on, risk a pound on a gamble..." part that I remember.

I mention the story because this is how I felt that day (my friends and I didn't fall for the £1 "deal" because we had no money anyway).  With the Season Pass, Daz is saying, "Give us your money and trust us that we will give you something nice in return."

I made my first Daz purchase in 2004, and then like many others I spent a lot of money here over subsequent years until around 2012-13 when I stopped buying anything here other than an occasional item once or twice per year because I felt very betrayed by the company over the whole Poser/DS thing.  But..I came back to give Daz Studio and Daz3D another chance in 2017 after seeing the results possible with iray and the newer Genesis 3 and 8 models.  In the next few years I bought every pro bundle because of the fantastic deals - usually a few of the Genesis 3 Pro bundles that I had missed in my time away.

Lately though, I haven't bought any of the new bundles.  I've got about half a dozen of the later Genesis 8 pro bundles wishlisted and I bought Victoria 8.1 to take a look at how much of a leap it was from Victoria 8.  This is the first "March Madness" in years where I have not bought anything.  Some of this may be because I have a lot of content to work with now, but a lot of it is because I don't like to feel that I'm been ripped off or taken advantage of and many of the latest bundles are starting to feel like that.  These days I am more likely to go for a PA product such as Ultrascenery or Analglyph3D that adds some more functionality to DS.

Add to this the recent NFT thing and the movement of the Forums and Gallery into a single tab on the front page to accomodate the NFT link.  To me it is the same as what a lot of companies do - "We'll put our old customers over there, they'll put up with anything, whilst we try out a new market and see if we can get some better customers."

Right now, I'm torn between going for what may indeed turn out to be a great deal on new figures and the HD add-one, versus Daz3D's recent history.  Daz3D also have a long history of over-hyping upcoming products/events. 

Like many other people here, I WANT to trust Daz3D and buy the season pass both in the interests of getting a bargain and to support a company that does have the best 3D content available for non-professionals like myself.  But...There is way, way too little information on what we are getting.  I keep thinking back to that auction salesman from 25 years ago and can't help feeling the same way I did then.  Give us all some more information - what will happen to discounts on whole bundles, how many male/female characters will there be in the 5 base figures, what are the 2 free items?  Are they going to be something new, or are they going to be from the ancient back catalogue of items that I don't have because I didn't want them the first time around?

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,556
    edited April 2021

Season Pass is a good idea.

Sadly it's too late for me because I already own too much content, I can't handle more.

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited April 2021

you know there are alot people here more for the shopping entertainment than rendering their stuff

so daz gives them some entertainment

clever

Post edited by Ruphuss on

Ruphuss said:

you know there are alot people here more for the shopping entertainment than rendering their stuff

so daz gives them some entertainment

clever

Yeah, buying content is a completely different hobby than actually using what you bought. Acknowledging this has helped me enormously in breaking the addiction to the buying stuff thing, and only buying things when they're on sufficiently steep sale, and only when I actually want them.

Pixel8ted said:

Open up your extension for DAZ Deals and click on options. You have to have the box that says Total Spent & Total Value Owned checked. These totals will show up in your order history.

..thank you.  Yeah I coudl have spent a several months in Europe and flown business class round trip to boot. 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

One thing that's not being mentioned a lot is that Daz will begin offering tutorials and webinars about ... something. 

That makes it sound like, in the future, there will be information about using products purchased at the Daz store gated behind the Season Pass.  I hope there won't be an NDA.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,744

I think there's folks who buy every new core character. Perhaps because of brand loyalty, or because they have a completists mind set (I used to be something of a X-Men comics completist, I get it), or perhaps they genuinely like every single core character. For those folks the season pass probably makes sense. I haven't done the math.

I only buy stuff I like and only at really good discounts. The season pass is clearly not meant for me... but good for those who do see value in it. I see no reason to hate, this is a clear "vote with your purse" situation.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,200
    edited April 2021

Phew, after adapting the most toxic recent idea from the art / business worl with NFT's it makes sense they are now also adapting the most toxic ideas from the gaming world. Cool.

Given that the most recent Base characters have looked increasingly worse - at least to me - I guess it makes sense to get paid up front, before you actually have to sell them to people. That way, it also doesn't matter so much, if one of the characters doesn't work right or if you re-use textures - makes things easier for the QA department. Not saying DAZ is going to do that - just that season passes make that sort of behavior less punishing for the vendor, since customers give up some of their ability to 'vote with their wallet'.

I also find it hard to be too optimistic about everything beyond the 5 Base characters / HD add-ons. Sounds a lot like things that were supposed to be PC perks a long time ago...

Gotta say, DAZ is really burning through many months of good will they had built up with me during the G3 and early G8 era. 

Well, I'm not playing mainstream games any more either :)

Post edited by Barubary on
  • BlueFingersBlueFingers Posts: 824

Sevrin said:

One thing that's not being mentioned a lot is that Daz will begin offering tutorials and webinars about ... something. 

That makes it sound like, in the future, there will be information about using products purchased at the Daz store gated behind the Season Pass.  I hope there won't be an NDA.

Well, that would be the case, it would be a true deal-breaker for me to get even more invested in to Daz. Rather learn to make my own stuff then.

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

The whole thing leaves way too many open questions. 

• What will those free items be? Do they have a minimal value? Will they be new, or something from the Daz early days that are already discounted massively?
    • What characters do I get? At least, some indication would be nice, e.g 2 female, 2 male, 1 non-human
    • Given the fact that quite some of the recent new releases did have issues or proved to be not like expected from the promos, how do I return such a character? 

In the end, Daz is asking for faith and trust, after they had done almost everything imaginable to ruin exactly that for at least the last six mounts.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

• Given the fact that quite some of the recent new releases did have issues or proved to be not like expected from the promos, how do I return such a character? 

It's stated explicitly somewhere that you can't return the characters and you can't return the pass. 

Sevrin said:

It specifically says "using the released character". So it looks like it's supposed to complement the new product you unlock.

certaintree38 said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

It's stated explicitly somewhere that you can't return the characters and you can't return the pass. 

All I see are Season Passes are non-refundable. I can't imagine Daz3D wouldn't at least give store credit if the character is terrible.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

margrave said:

certaintree38 said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

All I see are Season Passes are non-refundable. I can't imagine Daz3D wouldn't at least give store credit if the character is terrible.

I wouldn't count on that.  The Season Pass is like buying a bundle, except you don't know what's in the bundle, and the bundle's non-refundable.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

Thankyou for the badge Pixel8ted heart

it sums up my situation beautifully

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

margrave said:

certaintree38 said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

The characters are added manually, so there's no order number and no dollar value assigned to them. Technically, you aren't even buying the characters, you're buying the pass. Maybe if there is a serious problem with a character Daz will do pass holders a solid and give them a coupon or something, but as things stand now, there's nothing to return. At least, that's how I'm reading the legalese. Maybe a mod or employee will say differently. 

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

I don't know where the problem is.

I am going to pass on buying the pass, as it is of no value for me.

Others seem to like it ... that's fine too.

• I am glad, usually, for Daz to try new things but I will pass on this since it doesn't fit my buying patterns or budget for the hobby.