The Newest Evolution Is Here: The Daz Season Pass!

Comments

• GeoffreyHawkinsGeoffreyHawkins Posts: 255
    edited April 2021

DAZ has trained me to be the value based customer I am.  I have never paid more than $5 for a G3 or G8 base character.  I own more characters than I will ever practically make use of.  This is the product value system that DAZ has established.  And most important, I choose what products I purchase.

DAZ has spent years incentivizing customers to not just buy only the base character but instead the bundles and add-ones.  Now they create a subscription that is just base characters?

Still really confused . . .

Post edited by GeoffreyHawkins on
  • mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275

This reminds me of the old punch sales. Spend money on stuff so you get a deal on something in the future and having no clue what will be offered and if you want it. There's a reason why the punch sales are no longer being done. And I don't see the advantage of getting a character sooner than those who did not purchase a pass. Daz, if you want to make money, stop with the redudant characters and stuff. I'm wondering what the over/under is for how many days until the next sci-fi suit that no one will want comes out. Someone please make me my photo-realistic 1950's kitchen.

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,037

DAZ_Rawb said:

j cade said:

FSMCDesigns said:

LOL, wouldn;t it be funny if this REALLY takes off and has a ton of adopters despite all the complaining in this thread cheeky

it's been stated often that the majority of DAZ customers don't post in the forums, so it's a possibility. 

The Diigitals said:

I think it's a cool concept, cool enough to take the plunge lol 

Is it bad I really wanted the forum badge lol

I want a forum badge also, but I'm not paying for one, LOL

I'm sure daz has the numbers on how many users buy every or almost every core character on day of release - as several folks have already mentioned for those people the deal may indeed be useful so it might be popular

I don't fall into that category so its not for me - but thats no real skin off my nose, just a sale that is not aimed at me

also a completly irrelevant point but everyone was mentioning lootboxes - what does it say about me that my first thought for a comparison was CSAs?

This comment has a lot of truth in it.

Yeah, we looked at the sales numbers and saw a fairly sizeable collection of people who buy all of the base daz figures so with the March sale coming to an end we thought this would be a good way to give them a discount.

For those of you that don't buy every figure that comes out and decide that the prices just don't work for you, the good news is that this isn't something that will change how things work for you. If anything you might come out a little better off if the people that are getting the figures early want to show them off and give you a little preview of what the figures are capable of in the forums or galleries.

Also, we had discussed an option of the season pass to have it last for some number of months and give you your choice of 3-6 figures that you would pick and choose and apply a special coupon to get for free at checkout instead of running for a shorter time and adding the products to your content library automatically. We hear that a number of users forget about their PC+ coupons every month and we wanted to make sure that nobody forgot about using their season pass and ran out of time without getting all of their item so we picked this style to go with first to make sure that everyone got the full value of the package. Also, we wanted the bonus of getting the content early and the checkout system is a stickler about not letting you checkout with products that have a release date in the future.

I hope this helps you all understand more of the back-story about the season pass.

that doesn't sound like that the session pass is for bundle buyers intended.

so, I'm still cheaper buying the bundles, as used to?

• N_R Arts said:

I've just been thinking. If Daz wanted to kick out the low end users, why did they come up with Filament? 

Which perhaps indicates that Daz didn't want to kick anyone out. Not every offer has to work for everyone.

• sunnyjeisunnyjei Posts: 494

BlueFingers said:

sunnyjei said:

Blood-PawWerewolf said:

SnowSultan said:

since their relevancy has been falling to the point where companies like Epic Games and Reallusion have much better quality of content

That's not even close to being true if you're talking about high-quality meshes for artistic use. 

IClone has the ability to render in iray (just like DAZ), but what makes Reallusion better is that it is direct integration with UE4, Unity and so much more. Compare the features that Reallusion has and what DAZ has, you'll see the quality differences. 

My entire Daz content thumbnails have been broken for weeks without any help other than 'we know, working on it', between Daz moving to NFTs and these 'loot boxes', I'm really looking at how Reallusion, Blender, and UE might be a better fit for me going forward. I like that I can support the artists creating items here but also might need to find other ways to either buy directly or from other stores.

Offtopic: I think I have a solution for you thumbnails here:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/393566/how-can-i-fix-missing-thumbnail-images-in-smart-content#latest

Thanks! I missed that post. Unfortunately it didn't work (or I have too many broken for me to see an improvement). Your thoughtfulness though is reflective of why I've stayed with Daz, so many people like you have reached out to help others learning or struggling with something. With my library broken like this there is no way I can see even considering investing more money when everything I buy comes with broken thumbnails.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,373

GeoffreyHawkins said:

Torquinox said:

As for the loot box approach and all that, my no-vote is not terribly significant. I'm not the target for that sort of promotion.

But exactly who is the target?   A regular DAZ shopper would find almost zero value in this.  Blind box/loot crate merchandising requires a relatively low cost affordable buy-in.  That is not the case here.

Based on the ongoing discussion, customers who buy all the base figures. That's still not me.

• AethyrAethyr Posts: 91

Figured I'd weigh in on this. I think the main problem I have with this season pass idea is that beyond a name of the first character -- "Brooke 8.1", which suggests a female model -- there is no information on the characters or the bonus items that are included, no pictures, no details, nothing, except the assumption that they'll all be on the newest Genesis 8.1 tech. A fair number of Daz's recent characters have been fairly niche, which I'm by no means saying is a bad thing -- it's cool to have unique and specific characters, and some of them I really liked -- but at the same time it limits their general appeal and likely means they'll see less use than a more all-purpose kind of character.

If this was maybe a third of the price I would probably give it a shot. But $149 for as yet unknown items is too much of a hard sell for me, especially with the timing -- I spent a hell of a lot in the March Madness sale, even accounting for the fact that everything I bought was heavily discounted. If we'd even just had names and a single promo image of each character, that would have been something to go on, but customers are being asked to go in virtually blind.

As it is... I'm gonna skip this. I don't have the negative feeling towards Daz that some people in the thread seem to -- the only thing I really miss is having the characters on their own and in Starter and Pro bundles, but I'm sure there's good reason for changing it -- but I'm going to continue to just buy things that fit my personal interests, and essentially gambling 150 bucks on stuff I might not even want isn't it.

• Wicked WhompWicked Whomp Posts: 214
    edited April 2021

DAZ_Rawb said:

j cade said:

I'm sure daz has the numbers on how many users buy every or almost every core character on day of release - as several folks have already mentioned for those people the deal may indeed be useful so it might be popular

I don't fall into that category so its not for me - but thats no real skin off my nose, just a sale that is not aimed at me

also a completly irrelevant point but everyone was mentioning lootboxes - what does it say about me that my first thought for a comparison was CSAs?

Yeah, we looked at the sales numbers and saw a fairly sizeable collection of people who buy all of the base daz figures so with the March sale coming to an end we thought this would be a good way to give them a discount.

For those of you that don't buy every figure that comes out and decide that the prices just don't work for you, the good news is that this isn't something that will change how things work for you. If anything you might come out a little better off if the people that are getting the figures early want to show them off and give you a little preview of what the figures are capable of in the forums or galleries.

Also, we had discussed an option of the season pass to have it last for some number of months and give you your choice of 3-6 figures that you would pick and choose and apply a special coupon to get for free at checkout instead of running for a shorter time and adding the products to your content library automatically. We hear that a number of users forget about their PC+ coupons every month and we wanted to make sure that nobody forgot about using their season pass and ran out of time without getting all of their item so we picked this style to go with first to make sure that everyone got the full value of the package. Also, we wanted the bonus of getting the content early and the checkout system is a stickler about not letting you checkout with products that have a release date in the future.

I hope this helps you all understand more of the back-story about the season pass.

I for one appreciate the backstory to it. I've bolded a part of your response to address directly. I'm exactly one of those folks who would prefer to have as many base figures as possible, but doesn't buy bundles all that often. The ONLY reason I recently picked up the Brute 8 pro bundle was because the sale price had it down to very little more than the base figure itself.

Now I wanted to get this season pass, I for one really like it, it sounds like a steal of a deal. My issues however are as follows:

1: I think it's too much. 150 (PC+) is a bit much for a one off purchase of items that I may or may not even find a use for, because again, I don't buy bundles all that often and this is the very reason I don't, and might very well be why the others you've mentioned have been buying the base figures themselves.

2: The mystery aspect. It feels too much like a lootbox. I certaintly don't buy a new character solely because it's new, I buy it because I like it. Not knowing what the characters are is a huge gamble.

3: This one is a bit of a personal gripe. The Diigitals is a business partner of yours, and their posts smelled of PR lingo to sell a product in a way that left a bad taste. I mean, what is FUN about spending money during a recession on top of a pandemic? Maybe I'm just being petty with this last one, so take it with a grain of salt.

Post edited by Wicked Whomp on
  • Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,554

• gsil247gsil247 Posts: 221

The more I think about it, the more I believe Daz is just testing out the waters and they knew it was bad to begin with. Why go from great deals, to a terrible one? From $2.99 to $249.99. Just take the L on this one Daz. 

• Pantros2Pantros2 Posts: 71

DAZ_Rawb said:

j cade said:

FSMCDesigns said:

LOL, wouldn;t it be funny if this REALLY takes off and has a ton of adopters despite all the complaining in this thread cheeky

it's been stated often that the majority of DAZ customers don't post in the forums, so it's a possibility. 

The Diigitals said:

I think it's a cool concept, cool enough to take the plunge lol 

Is it bad I really wanted the forum badge lol

I want a forum badge also, but I'm not paying for one, LOL

I buy almost every Pro Bundle you release. I won't buy this because:

1) it's not bundles, it's base characters

2) you don't make pro bundles anymore - you mix old and new stuff and call it a bundle. It's not the same. Modern themed bundles are lower quality and less savings.

3) "almost every" - There are things I don't like about some characters. I don't want to buy 5 mystery bag items and find even 1 I can't use. Again this isn't Starter Bundles, its base characters + HD. $30 per is not really impressive savings compared to a good bundle deal.

4) There is no mention of Season Pass owners getting a discount on the associated bundle. I don't want to see the recent trend "You own one or more of six items in the new bundle so we'll give you 10% off" because I'm somehome okay only paying a for a portion of some things twice.

I love the idea of a season pass, but between the randomness of it and the unmentioned bundle options, its probably better to wait and buy the things I want in the bundles - maybe. Still not happy with the current bundle trend. I literally own all but 2 pro bundles from the past four years. I think I'm at 40-50% on the new style themed bundles. On the brighter side, my wallet thanks you for not taking it's money.

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

Phoenix1966 said:

That's gonna be a lot of seasons.

• LeticiaLeticia Posts: 126

I agree with many of the above points, but despite my better judgment, I'm going to buy this one season pass, and hope those bundle discounts that have been mentioned will be worth it.  I probably have (at this point) more disposable income than the average Daz user, so I can afford to regret it.

Daz, please don't make me regret it; it might be a last straw, at least on buying things 'new' instead of just waiting for them to wind up on big sales.  Please make the bundle discounts make me feel like I'm actually getting a deal, and please make sure the figures aren't carbon copies of each other and previous figures.  Do that, we're good, and I'll repeat the purchase.

• RasberriRasberri Posts: 265
    edited April 2021

I suppose it would be fun to do once in a while..(If my finances were better).  For now, I'll just stick to my usual purchasing habits here and have few complaints there nor with the March madness sales.  Honestly this reminds me of a gaming site.. where I have purchased a "mystery bundle" for X $ and receive 10 unknown games.  Fortunately, the mystery bundle did not cost too much but I mean there was maybe one game I may play.  It was fun.. like playing scratch off lottery here in my State once in a while.  It's been rough financially for me and I get it that it is rough on lots of other folks.. gas is going up and thus everything else I have seen started going up as well now.. some items have gone up 7$ just within the month of March..so it all has a ripple effect.

Post edited by Rasberri on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I don't need more characters - especially as I'll put money on them being merchant resource textures.

So... Pass.

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,881

4) There is no mention of Season Pass owners getting a discount on the associated bundle. I don't want to see the recent trend "You own one or more of six items in the new bundle so we'll give you 10% off" because I'm somehome okay only paying a for a portion of some things twice.

Actually, Daz_Jessica said earlier, "Yes! Owners of the season pass will get discounts on the bundles that include the figures unlocked by the pass."  Not sure how much that discount will be, but there will be one. 

• AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 289
    edited April 2021

Up to Victoria 8.1, I bought every single Pro Bundle since I joined DAZ. Although, the buying enticements for them have deteriorated bundle for bundle while at the same time the quality of the included assets deteriorated noticeably.
    Since Genesis 8.1, the bundles are even more expensive with near to null buying enticements at all.
    While I was initially curious about 8.1, I read about enough issues with 4.15 to keep my distance from it.
    Many creators who depend on a working DAZ Studio installation recommended me not to upgrade, as they regret having done it or have fallen back to an older version, where possible. Thus 8.1 is no question for me before DAZ Productions, Inc. is able to fix all the know issues.
    Therefore I have not bought a single 8.1 bundle, and I do not see myself buying one soon.
    For not having bought any of those new bundles, even though I own all Genesis 8 Pro Bundles and most of the Genesis 3 ones, and many more assets worth several thousand dollars, DAZ is not offering me anymore "Loyalty" banners on new bundles. I do not count those bundles where DAZ graciously offers me a 70%+ discount when I own every single asset or only miss one.
    I really see no good in this Season Pass at all.
    And "loyal" but somewhat unruly customers like me that do not have embraced Genesis 8.1 or even Genesis 8 cannot feel differently than feeling affronted by this season pass.

Post edited by AbyssalEros on
  • Here's the situation with me, I would definitely buy these, but the price tag is definitely too high. I'm not against this business model, I'm just not happy about the price tag (since I count as someone with limited funds per month)

• ChaosophiaChaosophia Posts: 137

Easy PASS for me. Plat Club and pretty much it's rehashed old junk I didn't want when RDNA was still around. So with that track record, the freebie thing is hit and miss more on the miss side. Surprise Base characters, This new character Base is kinda getting old, I understand Vicky, Mike,Aiko,and a few others, but a new "base model" based of G8 as important as Vicky, it's getting old. I get you all want to inovate to get sales, but this is is desperation in my book. NTFs didn't bode well, now this? Sorry but No, and I don't need a stupid little badge to know I am important, and I don't care if anyone else thinks I am or not.

• Kaleb242Kaleb242 Posts: 344

The NFT promotion was a test of patience,
    but the Season Pass is a test of faith.

I believe in you, DAZ — you'll do the right thing.

I'm not doing this for the flair — I appreciate all that you've been developing and maintaining since 2000, and am here for the long haul... and hope that you will continue to choose long-term prosperity over short term profits, and keep your loyal users best interests at heart.

Many of us have invested greatly in software and content licenses here over the years, and sincerely hope that this ecosystem continues to improve, and enables us all to leverage our purchased content to create art and prosper.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,237

Decided to give it a try this once

• This is a promo just like any other DAZ promo.  If it is successful there witll be more of them.  If it isn't they will try something else like they always do.  Having conniptions over it isn't necessary.  Assuming it is successful all the kinks will be ironed out by the second season and we will have a better idea of what it is we are buying into.  I don't intend to be an early adapter on thise one, if it looks like a great deal to someone else, go for it.  The mein reasons I am not interested in this one is I am not into contests, I don't post in the Galleries here, I don't want the forum bling, and I don't see enough value in what else is being offered to plunk down the cash.  I might regret passing it up, in which case I will be on board for the theoretical season 2.  It's not the end of the world or even by buying stuff here either way ;)  Laterz.

• HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,660

Chaosophia said:

Easy PASS for me. Plat Club and pretty much it's rehashed old junk I didn't want when RDNA was still around. So with that track record, the freebie thing is hit and miss more on the miss side. Surprise Base characters, This new character Base is kinda getting old, I understand Vicky, Mike,Aiko,and a few others, but a new "base model" based of G8 as important as Vicky, it's getting old. I get you all want to inovate to get sales, but this is is desperation in my book. NTFs didn't bode well, now this? Sorry but No, and I don't need a stupid little badge to know I am important, and I don't care if anyone +else thinks I am or not.

Yep! +1 

• I'm someone with money, anyone on the Daz side can view my account and see that I've consistently dropped a lot of money here over the years. So I don't have an issue with a high cost if there's value to it. My problem is that I don't see this having value for anyone who doesn't collect every single base regardless of what it is.

99.9% of my renders are men and/or monsters. Years of being a daz buyer has held up that way more female bases are relased then men. I don't even think we've had a monster base since g2m/f era.

For me, there would be no value from where I'm standing and based on what little you've shown. I look for clothing, props, sets, shaders, etc. and it doesn't seem that these will be included.

On the other hand, I'm a loyal PC+ member for years and renew every year like clockwork. Why? Because with the rare exceptions the freebies have been gender base neutral. Plants, vehicles, furniture, sets, etc. And I've greatly appreciated Daz keeping those weekly freebies non-figure based. If every week it was dress and a pair of high heels, I would have been out years ago. The coupons and the additional sales it unlocks are great benefits as well. I feel rewarded and compensated for the money spent.

I've done character season passes in some video games, but with those, you know what you're getting before it goes on sale. Like Street Fighter V's season passes.

I do agree with the comments made by others that the bundles of late have not been up to snuff. The reusing of old products to fill out a bundle has turned me off and made the bundles look cheap and patched together. Not one of them has made me go "oooh, I can get that thing from last year now as part of this bundle." This has caused me to stop buying bundles and just buy the character and hd morphs.

Quality and reliability was always what Daz and products from the Daz store represented to me since I started using Daz in 2011. Of late that is not the case, and that makes me sad, because quality and reliable products with great  customer service and tech support is what made you really stand out back in the day. W/o those, there's no real difference between whether I buy here, Rendo, or pick up something at cg trader/turbosquid.

• vagansvagans Posts: 422

Really ticking all the marketing boxes, aren't we?

Limited time with price increase the longer you hestitate - check
    Unknown content loot box style - check
    Big focus on FOMO - check

Is Daz owned by investors in mobile gaming?

• vagans said:

Really ticking all the marketing boxes, aren't we?

Limited time with price increase the longer you hestitate - check
    Unknown content loot box style - check
    Big focus on FOMO - check

Is Daz owned by investors in mobile gaming?

That was my reaction, as well. Between this and the big push of the NFTs, the past two weeks have felt more like a desperate money grab than a store trying to offer value to their customers. I have too much invested in Daz products to pack up and walk away, but it definitely is leaving a bad taste in my mouth...and that taste just keeps getting worse and worse. 

• Nester751Nester751 Posts: 361

This also makes me think prices for everything will increase drastically. It seems like a very high commitment to characters that could be bad or pieces of characters that could be bad. What if it's hair?  Also the determination of what's free seems questionable. While I do spend way too much here, and other there places, it's a very big committment. My experience with loot boxes in games in general has been very bad.

• SilvereSilvere Posts: 46

Normally I would take the jump when a company tries something like this the first time, because the first "run" should be as promising as possible so further runs are more enticing.

But here we are with NFTs, decreased bundle quality and that "free" coupon last week that was trouble.

With all the rest (unkown figures, unkown discount amount, unknown items) my gut just screams no. Chances are that I'll get it just so I can be a spiteful ass that afterwards has a good reason to never engage with this again, but... Ugh.

• seamanqseamanq Posts: 29

mwokee said:

This reminds me of the old punch sales. Spend money on stuff so you get a deal on something in the future and having no clue what will be offered and if you want it. There's a reason why the punch sales are no longer being done. And I don't see the advantage of getting a character sooner than those who did not purchase a pass. Daz, if you want to make money, stop with the redudant characters and stuff. I'm wondering what the over/under is for how many days until the next sci-fi suit that no one will want comes out. Someone please make me my photo-realistic 1950's kitchen.

That, and all these benefits can be yours, for the grand period of two months. What happens after that? If you stop paying you lose the "flair" badge and other benes?  Really. I can do signficant damage on my own buying stuff I want for $75 a month (more, after this super sweet offer). Sorry, that's a hard pass.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,103

I'm in.Bring on the mystery content lootboxes, etc,etc whatever.

I'm a PC+ member. I pay for that upfront by the year.And, yep it's all mystery lootbox stuff.I don't get a copy of the yearly release date schedule before I pay the fee. Don't matter to me either.I love the PC+ club, so I'll be paying my mystery lootbox PC+ subscription for the foreseeable future.

If the Season Pass becomes a thing I might buy more of them aswell.Hope my forum flair badge thingsy is unique for each one.That would be cool.