The Newest Evolution Is Here: The Daz Season Pass!

Comments

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,515

I don't come here to ogle badges. I come here for information, discussion and sometimes entertainment.

• DamselDamsel Posts: 374

I'm sorry, I'm not paying $160 for a pig in a poke. I spend enough in this massive money sink as it is. I just got done totaling my Daz purchases for my business for my taxes, and Good God. "Hi, my name is Damsel, and I should start playing the ponies-- I'd spend less money."

So no, I ain't blowing $160 on some package of god knows what. It could turn out to be furry lizards or something I'll never use on a book cover, and I'll be out $160.

• Does anyone know how long this 'season pass' is supposed to last? Is it an "annual subscription" or a partial year that one's getting the 'bonuses' and 'benefits' from?

Does one get the "next five characters + HD add-ons" as part of the purchase price? OR does one have to purchase those ON-TOP of the "season pass" purchase price?

That comes to mind....

• seamanqseamanq Posts: 29

AnIronButterfly said:

Does anyone know how long this 'season pass' is supposed to last? Is it an "annual subscription" or a partial year that one's getting the 'bonuses' and 'benefits' from?

Does one get the "next five characters + HD add-ons" as part of the purchase price? OR does one have to purchase those ON-TOP of the "season pass" purchase price?

That comes to mind....

Read the fine print. It's good for two months. That is why it is not called an "annual" pass but a "season" pass. They are making Disney seem generous at this point (think Disney season passes). Even Disney hasn't gotten this greedy. You get all five of the next Gen 8.1 characters and all five of the next add-ons. I'm not sure what season they are talking about. Fleecing season?

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107

https://www.daz3d.com/season-pass-2021

No mention of any limits on use of the content you get.So I'm assuming it's yours to use "forever"

Season Pass will run from:
    April 5, 2021 to June 6, 2021

See link for more details.

And several DAZ people have posted in this thread also.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    Let's see now. 5 mystery base figures plus the HD's. Nope. I have a load of HD characters for many of the existing base figures so I didn't need to invest in the HD's. If I have them it's because they were included or on sale at what I saw as a reasonable price. DAZ using my work for their promotional benefit. Nope. This is neither new nor a revelation. DAZ has been doing this for years. Which is why I don't and will never have a gallery here. The majority of my work is commissioned or work related and therefore not "distributable". Getting something sight unseen a day early? Big deal. I do not buy sight unseen. And a whole day? Could they spare it? Exclusive entry into a contest? I'm not interested in contests. Nor do I have the time. If this were the Daz3d of fifteen years ago, I might not look on this whole thing with as much question. Back when, DAZ acquired Bryce, they asked users to make a purchase on faith. Faith in their original attempt at DS only products, faith that they would add the same products to buyers libraries in Poser format, and faith that the would deliver a useable updated version of Bryce that would work with DS without the need to purchase a separate plugin for a specified price. My faith was well placed despite some initial skepticism. In the end (even with a few set backs), the promised content was delivered as was Bryce 5.5 at a much lower price than initially stated. Between the NFT nonsense and this, I'm beginning to think we need many need to alter our pipeline again. We did it when SMS became a problem and no one is certain of Bondware. DAZ has moved itself into the same category.
  • psfilipepsfilipe Posts: 164

PC+ member here. So the concept of spending money to get better prices in the long run is something I don't hate.
    But this is a terrible idea.
    I could go on, at length, as to why but others have already explained it better than I could have.

Also, I really, really hope this is not the beginning of more 'structural' changes in Daz pricing model.

• brimstoneomegabrimstoneomega Posts: 343
    edited April 2021

Bahahahahaahahahahahahaahaha

You have got to be kidding.

I'm done.

Someone let me know when I can buy a real pro bundle again. With two free Genesis 3/2/1 pro bundles and $60 worth of Daz originals.

I feel bad for the new people here, this place used to be great.

I dabbled in Daz for a little bit before Genesis 8 came out with the free stuff I could get, and then I think it was March Madness, but I could be wrong, but Aiko 8 came out and I took the actual plunge and started buying A LOT of stuff. That was three years ago. I'm at nearly $10k spent, an average of $3k a year, so $250 a month. Used to be quite a lot more, I've not really bought much since Kwan came out. I love the bundles that came with him, but ever since.... not so much.

I'm sure others have spent a lot more than I have, but I still would consider myself a high spender here, I mean, I could have bought a car with that money. But now with everything the way it is I can't justify my addiction anymore. I can't even use like %90 of the characters I have because loading time is insane. I also don't remember Studio being as crazy sluggish as it is now. Things are going downhill fast in Dazneyland.

Screenshot 2021-04-05 225254.png
    243 x 165 - 7K
    Post edited by brimstoneomega on
  • PraxisPraxis Posts: 240

"Newest Evolution" ... "Season Pass": ... "Forum Flair"  ... No.

But I am intrigued by this:

j cade said:

...<snip>...

also a completly irrelevant point but everyone was mentioning lootboxes - what does it say about me that my first thought for a comparison was
    CSAs?

Which CSA do you mean?  smiley

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261

brimstoneomega said:

I'm done.

Someone let me know when I can buy a real pro bundle again. With two free Genesis 3/2/1 pro bundles and $60 worth of Daz originals.

I dabbled in Daz for a little bit before Genesis 8 came out with the free stuff I could get, and then I think it was March Madness, but I could be wrong, but Aiko 8 came out and I took the actual plunge and started buying A LOT of stuff. That was three years ago. I'm at nearly $10k spent, an average of $3k a year, so $250 a month. Used to be quite a lot more, I've not really bought much since Kwan came out. I love the bundles that came with him, but ever since.... not so much.

I'm sure others have spent a lot more than I have, but I still would consider myself a high spender here, I mean, I could have bought a car with that money. But now with everything the way it is I can't justify my addiction anymore. I can't even use like %90 of the characters I have because loading time is insane. I also don't remember Studio being as crazy sluggish as it is now. Things are going downhill fast in Dazneyland.

You had to make me look and I wish I hadn't surprise

Screenshot from 2021-04-05 23-06-57.png
    885 x 292 - 59K
  • ArkadySkiesArkadySkies Posts: 206

So basically it's a $15 dollar discount on $45 dollar characters, but you're locked into buying all five of them? Hopefully you like every base character, I guess. Also 5 "base" characters over the next two months? What's even special about base characters these days aside from them being twice as expensive as PA's characters? Sure there's HD add-ons (basically just a displacement modifier right? None of the ones I've used were impressive) and two mystery freebies that you may or may not have a use for. I've spent $150 or more over the course of two months, but only for products I knew I wanted. For a lootbox, that's pricy.

And right after NFTs too. Daz leadership needs help.

• brimstoneomegabrimstoneomega Posts: 343
    edited April 2021

Robert Freise said:

brimstoneomega said:

I'm done.

Sweet Baby Yoda in a floating basket!

Never mind, I guess I'm not a big spender, lol. 

Sorry to make you see things you can't unsee.

Post edited by brimstoneomega on
  • seamanqseamanq Posts: 29

Torquinox said:

I don't come here to ogle badges. I come here for information, discussion and sometimes entertainment.T

There is certainly no shortage of entertainment on this thread cheeky 

• LeticiaLeticia Posts: 126

Robert Freise said:

brimstoneomega said:

I'm done.

Oh, good, I feel better about my expenditures now!

brimstoneomega said:

Robert Freise said:

brimstoneomega said:

I'm done.

Sweet Baby Yoda in a floating basket!

Never mind, I guess I'm not a big spender, lol. 

Sorry to make you see things you can't unsee.

Even taking into consideration that  my purchase history goes back 20+ years it's still kinda scary 

Leticia said:

Robert Freise said:

brimstoneomega said:

I'm done.

Glad to helpsmiley 

• Leticia said:

Robert Freise said:

brimstoneomega said:

I'm done.

Holy POOP! Me too! surprisesurprise

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

DAZ blushplease don't let me regret this! 

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,515

seamanq said:

Torquinox said:

I don't come here to ogle badges. I come here for information, discussion and sometimes entertainment.T

There is certainly no shortage of entertainment on this thread cheeky 

Agreed! laugh

• MaARiTtiMaARiTti Posts: 43

Frankly, I'm too old for this, so no thanks. I just need a good work program to work with it. I have a lot of Daz characters, environments, props, etc. I don’t need to be a VIP and I just want to do the rendering with good quality, good programs and algorithms. Not with a program that always has a pug somewhere ... and yes, I have a good (super) computer, my son built it for me and he works in this area.

ps. I am willing to pay for better Daz program when you are going to do it.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Spoiler alert...all the characters in the pass are centaurs.

As has been made clear, the season pass is primarily for people who buy every base model and HD, and apparently there must be quite a few people that do.

I have to say, that's kind of unnerving to me, though I expected that to be true. Since people keep bringing up games, it looks like Daz has quite a few whales out there.

In a lot of ways, Daz Studio really is like a video game. There are numerous games that are glorified dress up games, Daz is essentially like that, and it has 20,000+ DLC add ons, LOL. Farming Simulator has hundreds, even thousands of dollars in DLC. Some Japanese games have tons of it. Daz has the most DLC of them all!

But Daz Studio is not a video game. It is supposed to be a 3D asset store for artists. Have we forgotten this?

I don't think this is a good thing. There is more focus on the store than the art. It raises so many flags. What is going on? They killed pro bundles. Quality has been erratic at best. I've made my thoughts about 8.1 pretty clear with its supposed upgrades. Now NFTs...and this season pass just 2 weeks later. I am not against the idea of a season pass, but rather the execution.

The idea that some PC+ users forget their coupon being the reason for this all in structure is an odd one. Most season passes in video games are STILL valid during and even after the season is over. Why is that not an option here?

A silver pass could give the customer the ability to pick 3 of the 5 characters released during the season, and they could use this at any time. Even months after the season is over.

Then gold lets you pick 4 of the 5, and platinum being the tier that scores all 5. You could even offer up a Ultimate Platinum that does all the bundles for the characters.

These passes remain available after the season is over. It can give customers an easy way to catch up if they happened to be away a while. Or even better, new customers could grab a previous season pass to quickly build their library. Enticing new customers should be a goal here.

How does that work? You just give them coupon codes that don't expire. Why do they need to expire???

You would also need to at least offer a hint to what's coming.

Now doesn't that sound like an interesting deal? With those 3 options, I think you'd stand a better chance of pitching this to the angry forum posters out there, like me.

I gotta say I have real concerns about the direction of this company. I have said that before, but now my detector is going wild. Something is wrong.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,758

It's loot boxes for DAZ.  And you know what you usually get in loot boxes?  A bunch of junk that nobody wanted to buy when they actually knew what it was.   

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 574

People keep saying $30 per character if it's $150 for the pass. I'm getting $15 per character and $15 per HD add-on. These are pretty good prices for new releases of these types of products in comparison to their base prices. Granted, the pro bundles could be a better deal in the past if you wanted to buy extra poses, characters, clothing items, and hair that you may not really have want or needed. Not knowing what you are buying with your money is also a down side to the passes. It would have been cool if they had included even one portrait render of each character in the pass. For me, even at $15 per item, it's just not incentive enough for me to buy. 

• MalandarMalandar Posts: 672

LOL No... Something for the whales and those addicted to gambling.

• MalandarMalandar Posts: 672

Quasar said:

People keep saying $30 per character if it's $150 for the pass. I'm getting $15 per character and $15 per HD add-on. These are pretty good prices for new releases of these types of products in comparison to their base prices. Granted, the pro bundles could be a better deal in the past if you wanted to buy extra poses, characters, clothing items, and hair that you may not really have want or needed. Not knowing what you are buying with your money is also a down side to the passes. It would have been cool if they had included even one portrait render of each character in the pass. For me, even at $15 per item, it's just not incentive enough for me to buy. 

Might be decent prices if you like ALL of them, but not so much if you only like 1 or 2 of them and will never use the rest.

• Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588

Too rich for my blood but to give myself feel a sense of worth I did spend the time to make myself a badge.  I feel better now.

CART Spent Too Much.png
    1075 x 1075 - 704K
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713

Pixel8ted said:

Too rich for my blood but to give myself feel a sense of worth I did spend the time to make myself a badge.  I feel better now.

You should sell those to all us 'forum-ites'!

Or even better, you should sell NFTs for it, so we can all have an 'original'!

• ArkadySkiesArkadySkies Posts: 206
    edited April 2021

Quasar said:

I thought about that, but decided to stick with $30 bucks a character because ultimately $40 bucks for an HD add-on for a $45 character is such a hilarious rip off, especially when your average $20 PA character has HD for free. I'm not going to pretend it's worth anything near that just because that's what it would cost. I'd certainly never pay full price for it. Normally I don't complain because the solution is obvious, 'don't buy core characters if you want HD' and I don't like the HD morphs anyway. Still I can't believe Daz expects us to spend another $40 dollars to get HD for their special $45 characters, and created a two month long, $150 premium premium membership just to pretend they're giving us a deal on it.

HD morphs sound cool, but I've been unimpressed with with the actual results of all of my HD products and keep the HD morphs disabled. It's just too subtle an improvement to justify the sluggish render times, and would be far more sensibly handled with decent normal maps for how subtle it is. Or maybe a displacement map? I suspect all their proprietary HD morphs are nothing more than displacement anyway, though I suppose it could be closer to something like Blender's multires.

Post edited by ArkadySkies on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited April 2021

nicstt said:

I don't need more characters - especially as I'll put money on them being merchant resource textures.

So... Pass.

...+1

As I primarily dial spin most of my own characters, unless I see a new character base that will add something unique to what I refer to as the "gene pool" (like custom sculpted facial details or a unique base shape that isn't just another "supermodel" or "hunk") I'll pick it up. 

I work so heavily with morphing (I have lots of morph resource kits for both G2 & G3  which I can combine through GenX2) tothe point that sometimes clothing will not autofit well on some characters.

AbyssalEros said:

Up to Victoria 8.1, I bought every single Pro Bundle since I joined DAZ. Although, the buying enticements for them have deteriorated bundle for bundle while at the same time the quality of the included assets deteriorated noticeably.
    Since Genesis 8.1, the bundles are even more expensive with near to null buying enticements at all.
    While I was initially curious about 8.1, I read about enough issues with 4.15 to keep my distance from it.
    Many creators who depend on a working DAZ Studio installation recommended me not to upgrade, as they regret having done it or have fallen back to an older version, where possible. Thus 8.1 is no question for me before DAZ Productions, Inc. is able to fix all the know issues.
    Therefore I have not bought a single 8.1 bundle, and I do not see myself buying one soon.
    For not having bought any of those new bundles, even though I own all Genesis 8 Pro Bundles and most of the Genesis 3 ones, and many more assets worth several thousand dollars, DAZ is not offering me anymore "Loyalty" banners on new bundles. I do not count those bundles where DAZ graciously offers me a 70%+ discount when I own every single asset or only miss one.
    I really see no good in this Season Pass at all.
    And "loyal" but somewhat unruly customers like me that do not have embraced Genesis 8.1 or even Genesis 8 cannot feel differently than feeling affronted by this season pass.

[bold ephasis mine]

...+1 as well.

I have very few character bundles, several of them only because they were offered for free on a banner (or extremely discounted) or, as in the case of V5/M5, was a bonus offer with my purchase of Carrara 8.5.  In the few bundles that I actually purchased, I pretty much everything that was included had a use (which is a rarity).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588
    edited April 2021

Nath said:

Pixel8ted said:

You should sell those to all us 'forum-ites'!

Or even better, you should sell NFTs for it, so we can all have an 'original'!

Just for you since you made me laugh is a bonus badge I like to call the "I spent so much on content that I can't pay the power bill this month badge".

Edit: Alternately, this could be the "I have no idea what the create with all the things I bought badge".   I guess, you spend this kind of money to display this badge then you kind of get to name the badge whatever you want.

CART Lights Out.png
    1075 x 1075 - 688K
    Post edited by Pixel8ted on