--August Carrara Monthly Challenge: SIZE MATTERS!-- WIP thread

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

pimpy said:
    pimpy said:
    @ Diomede & EP thank you!
    (I'm thinking to share my ant model to all the Carrara users on CarraraCafe when the challenge will be close. Hope enjoy it :)

And here the final image created with two images (background image created in Carrara using DOF and forward image created in Carrara using alpha channel) final image edited in Gimp

Hi Pimpy. That is great. the only issue for me, is that the ant in the background is barely noticeable. Is there a way to provide a little accent light around the edges to help define the shape a bit?

I'll try to increase a little the two shape ligths( that I have in the scene) around the ant ...
    Thanks EP

Ultimately it's your scene, so you need to do what makes you happy!

That ant model is great!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited August 2014

diomede64 said:
    whoah! great job, EP. That black and white image could really be a promo still for the '33 Kong. Well done.

So, I am going to take a shot at completing some version of the Colossus idea. I don't have the patience to do resource intensive features on my old clunky laptop, so there won't be any replicators or hair. It became an immediate issue for the sea, because I was going to do the replicated/terrain/sea approach, but not now. Still, not too unhappy with the result of just playing with shaders.

The colossus is the Freak figure from Daz. I posed him and then modeled a tunic for him around the pose. Don't plan to make it a real conforming figure as this is a one shot deal. I then experimented with some different shader mixes until I got one to apply to the figure and the tunic. Just did the tunic with vertex modeling in the assembly room.

I then modeled some simple vertex objects to act as the terrains by his left and right foot. I mixed a stone texture map that I have with a preset terrain shader (rocky) with a cellular function in the blend to get the mix I liked, and then upped the bump for each layer. Mixed results - I'll see if I can get it improved.

I also played with the realistic sky editor by adding more cloud layers and changing the sky color to a more purplish color. I then put a weak purple spotlight on the sailboat entering the harbor.

The terrain in the distance is a placeholder. Just the default that results when you insert a terrain from the top menu.

Kind of grumpy today with the standard annoyances that go with re-installing software. Plus, I am inexplicably annoyed at the continued forum posts with overgeneralizations about the incompatibility of Carrara with the G2 figures. Therefore, I am starting this whole thing over again, and I am going to make it a point to use Aiko 6, because I have read posts claiming that Aiko 6 flat out does not work in Carrara. If someone wants to say there are problems, fine, but to say it doesn't work, without qualification, is just wrong. So this is going to be one of my more cheesy entries (and I've had some Lulus).

Because the Daz marketplace has made it clear that consumers like sexy female figures in skimpy clothes, I plan to demonstrate how to use Studio and Carrara, with Aiko 6, to make a Colossa of Rhodes in that style.

1 - load Aiko 6 in Daz Studio.

2 - Dial the shape you want, apply some texture maps, including makeup, pick some hair, add clothes, earrings, etc. and pose the figure. Save it as a scene file.

3 - Start Carrara 8.5 and load the scene saved from studio. Note - after importing, I wanted to make some adjustments to the pose, which was no problem. Ditto for morphs. So easy. So compatible.

4 - ** still need to work on this #4 *** Add a realistic sky, other lighting terrain, other scene elements, pick camera angles, adjust textures and shaders...

See screenshots.

Edit: replaced Daz Studio screenshot with one with Aiko6 with clothes. Sorry Momma Chohole and the TOS patrol. Hopefully I caught it before it mattered. :red:

Edit again - content includes Aiko 6, Harlow Hair by AprilYSH, School skirt by Pretty3D, Faertera top by LadyRhi and Sarsa, and frivolous forties pumps by Dogz.

1b_aiko_with_clothes.JPG
    1742 x 886 - 133K
    3_aiko_with_some_stuff.jpg
    640 x 480 - 20K
    2_aiko_scene_in_carrara.JPG
    991 x 883 - 93K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    diomede64 said:
    whoah! great job, EP. That black and white image could really be a promo still for the '33 Kong. Well done.

So, I am going to take a shot at completing some version of the Colossus idea. I don't have the patience to do resource intensive features on my old clunky laptop, so there won't be any replicators or hair. It became an immediate issue for the sea, because I was going to do the replicated/terrain/sea approach, but not now. Still, not too unhappy with the result of just playing with shaders.

The colossus is the Freak figure from Daz. I posed him and then modeled a tunic for him around the pose. Don't plan to make it a real conforming figure as this is a one shot deal. I then experimented with some different shader mixes until I got one to apply to the figure and the tunic. Just did the tunic with vertex modeling in the assembly room.

I then modeled some simple vertex objects to act as the terrains by his left and right foot. I mixed a stone texture map that I have with a preset terrain shader (rocky) with a cellular function in the blend to get the mix I liked, and then upped the bump for each layer. Mixed results - I'll see if I can get it improved.

I also played with the realistic sky editor by adding more cloud layers and changing the sky color to a more purplish color. I then put a weak purple spotlight on the sailboat entering the harbor.

The terrain in the distance is a placeholder. Just the default that results when you insert a terrain from the top menu.

Kind of grumpy today with the standard annoyances that go with re-installing software. Plus, I am inexplicably annoyed at the continued forum posts with overgeneralizations about the incompatibility of Carrara with the G2 figures. Therefore, I am starting this whole thing over again, and I am going to make it a point to use Aiko 6, because I have read posts claiming that Aiko 6 flat out does not work in Carrara. If someone wants to say there are problems, fine, but to say it doesn't work, without qualification, is just wrong. So this is going to be one of my more cheesy entries (and I've had some Lulus).

Because the Daz marketplace has made it clear that consumers like sexy female figures in skimpy clothes, I plan to demonstrate how to use Studio and Carrara, with Aiko 6, to make a Colossa of Rhodes in that style.

2 - Dial the shape you want, apply some texture maps, including makeup, pick some hair, add clothes, earrings, etc. and pose the figure. Save it as a scene file.

3 - Start Carrara 8.5 and load the scene saved from studio. Note - after importing, I wanted to make some adjustments to the pose, which was no problem. Ditto for morphs. So easy. So compatible.

4 - ** still need to work on this #4 *** Add a realistic sky, other lighting terrain, other scene elements, pick camera angles, adjust textures and shaders...

See screenshots.

Edit: replaced Daz Studio screenshot with one with Aiko6 with clothes. Sorry Momma Chohole and the TOS patrol. Hopefully I caught it before it mattered. :red:

Edit again - content includes Aiko 6, Harlow Hair by AprilYSH, School skirt by Pretty3D, Faertera top by LadyRhi and Sarsa, and frivolous forties pumps by Dogz.

You should leave the plastic looking skin that is somewhat common when translating Poser shaders. ;-)

edited December 1969

For what it's worth diomede, I feel the frustration you mention sometimes. I'm also frustrated because I have another idea and I'm kind of running into a wall with it right now, It's not a Carrara issue, it's a translation issue. How do I translate what I see in my mind's eye to the screen. The elements are there, but the results aren't.

edited December 1969

You should leave the plastic looking skin that is somewhat common when translating Poser shaders. ;-)

I'm sure I'll be in a better mood in a day or two when Word, Excel, etc. are working appropriately. Screw you, Mr. Gates. At that point, I will regret going on my little rant regarding Daz products, which haven't been too bad to migrate, relatively speaking.

To your skin shader point, what material would a giant statuette be made of if it was going to be put over the entrance of an Arizona truckstop? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't look like realistic skin. I have some ideas for a mixer of tan paint and a building material, just not sure which. Should I have the parking lot on the far side with cars going through like I do now, or should I have the parking lot on the near side with people walking through?

Something cheesy this way comes. :coolcheese:

edited August 2014

diomede64 said:

I'm sure I'll be in a better mood in a day or two when Word, Excel, etc. are working appropriately. Screw you, Mr. Gates. At that point, I will regret going on my little rant regarding Daz products, which haven't been too bad to migrate, relatively speaking.

To your skin shader point, what material would a giant statuette be made of if it was going to be put over the entrance of an Arizona truckstop? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't look like realistic skin. I have some ideas for a mixer of tan paint and a building material, just not sure which. Should I have the parking lot on the far side with cars going through like I do now, or should I have the parking lot on the near side with people walking through?

Something cheesy this way comes. :coolcheese:

Could do it like a Mark's Big Boy, with the semi-gloss paint on a fiber glass shell. When I say the colors, that's what I thought of. You'd want to weather it a bit.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Just had a thought. maybe some barely there light cones on the spotlights aiming up at her? They're great for adding a sense of scale.

Dystopi_Dirigible_DOF02_copy.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 860K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    diomede64 said:

See screenshots.

super idea, one of the seven wonders of the world eh?

evil, that image of yours always makes me feel like a dirty old man - wish one would walk past..... gah

edited December 1969

pimpy said:
    Finished Ant and setting scene...

pimpy, that's great!!!!! would love that ant when we are done thankyou

edited August 2014

not really an entry but a comment on local affairs -

anyone got any hints on using shadow catcher ? which this is not

Claus Oldenburg is a monumental sculptor meaning he makes little things big, - this is a paper bag full of $

Claus-Oldenburg._.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 492K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    pimpy said:
    Finished Ant and setting scene...

pimpy, that's great!!!!! would love that ant when we are done thankyou

Thank you Head Wax and for the ant wait a little....

P.S. I visited your blog ... simply fantastc!

edited December 1969

Thankyou Pimpy, I have had a misspent adulthood

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    not really an entry but a comment on local affairs -

anyone got any hints on using shadow catcher ? which this is not

Claus Oldenburg is a monumental sculptor meaning he makes little things big, - this is a paper bag full of $

Stick in a simple plane and size it so that all the shadow falls on it. To create a Shadow Catcher, go to the texture room and select Shadow Catcher under Lighting Models. Reflection, Highlight/Shininess, etc. don't really work. Haven't tried bump. Color can slightly effect the color of the shadow.

Match the lighting in the scene. It will probably better to simulate GI as it will show up in the shadow catcher if you use it. I would also adjust the shadow intensity of your main light because if you leave it at 100% the shadows will appear very dark.

edited August 2014

Feeling less grumpy today. Two items made by me - a skirt with petticoats and a long sleeve shirt. Here is one way to use the G2female, specifically Aiko 6, in Carrara.

- load the default G2 female in Carrara.
    - use the vertex modeler in the assembly room to make an item of clothing. I will be making a skirt with frilly petticoats. It is best if you insert to the default position and do all edits in the modeler so that the object's location remains 0,0,0.
    - uvmap your items and save them to your object browser.
    - in the motion tab, scale the item to 1.042 so it gets very tiny. Export the item as an obj, I choose the "poser" format, not sure if it matters.
    - Open daz studio and load the genesis 2 default female.
    - import your clothing item, choosing the poser format (or whatever) again. If you have scaled it correctly and not changed its origin it will load so that it fits the G2female in Daz Studio.
    - In studio, use edit/figure/transfer utility. Choose the G2 female as the source and the clothing item as the target. Studio will convert the clothing item to a wearable figure.
    - In studio, in the scene tab, make sure that the G2female is selected. Choose file/save as/wearable preset. Note the location that you save to. By default, it will probably go to the "My Library" preset for wearable files.
    - In Carrara, go to the folder where you saved Studio converted clothing. You may have to update the folder. Load the clothing item. If you haven't done so, load the G2 female. Fit the clothing item to the G2female like any other clothing item.
    - I repeated for a simple long sleeve shirt.
    - I then morphed the G2female to the Aiko6 shape, added hair (Harlow by AprlSH), and applied a pose from the content folder. The clothing items morphed and posed with the figure.
    - I did a test render.

5a_aiko_6_rendered_in_Carrara.jpg
    640 x 480 - 14K
    4a_conform_in_carrara.JPG
    1149 x 881 - 106K
    3a_wearable_preset.JPG
    1127 x 804 - 80K
    2a_transfer_utility_in_Daz_Studio.JPG
    1131 x 921 - 96K
    1a_model_skirt_on_G2F.JPG
    872 x 750 - 106K
    edited August 2014

And here is how to use Carrara's hair function on the genesis 2 female. Fair warning, I suck at hair. Aaargh.

- Drag the hair icon from the top menu on to the "actor" level of the genesis 2 female. You will be sent to the hair modeling room with the entire genesis 2 mesh. Your computer might slow down a lot!

- Create the hair zone on the head and use the tools and edit just enough to make a rudimentary hair starter pack.

- Return to the assembly room.

- Drag the hair model from your actor to the browser tray and save it under a starter name for future use on the genesis 2 female.

- Return to the hair modeler and edit to your hearts content. But remember, some of the details like length variance can be handled by the hair shader. Reurn to the assembly room.

- Select the hair model and enter the shader room. Use the hair shader to adjust not only the color, but also waves, kinks, clumps, and highlights.

Return to the assembly room and save your hair in your browser under another new name. You can now use that hair style on any genesis 2 female in future projects.

I replaced the harlow hair by Aprilsh with the hair I made (you can see I need a lot of practice.) I posed Aiko 6 again, and did another test render.

I really need to work on my hair skills, but Carrara can support the Genesis 2 female in general, and Aiko 6 in particular.

14_b2_test_render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 13K
    13_b_hair_room_tools.jpg
    1122 x 573 - 246K
    12_bbbb_carrara_hair_on_g2female.jpg
    1901 x 952 - 680K
    11_b_hair_instructions.jpg
    1901 x 952 - 656K
    edited December 1969

She looks very alluring. Really nice job on the clothes.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    And here is how to use Carrara's hair function on the genesis 2 female. Fair warning, I suck at hair. Aaargh.

- Drag the hair icon from the top menu on to the "actor" level of the genesis 2 female. You will be sent to the hair modeling room with the entire genesis 2 mesh. Your computer might slow down a lot!

- Create the hair zone on the head and use the tools and edit just enough to make a rudimentary hair starter pack.

- Return to the assembly room.

- Drag the hair model from your actor to the browser tray and save it under a starter name for future use on the genesis 2 female.

- Return to the hair modeler and edit to your hearts content. But remember, some of the details like length variance can be handled by the hair shader. Reurn to the assembly room.

- Select the hair model and enter the shader room. Use the hair shader to adjust not only the color, but also waves, kinks, clumps, and highlights.

Return to the assembly room and save your hair in your browser under another new name. You can now use that hair style on any genesis 2 female in future projects.

I replaced the harlow hair by Aprilsh with the hair I made (you can see I need a lot of practice.) I posed Aiko 6 again, and did another test render.

I really need to work on my hair skills, but Carrara can support the Genesis 2 female in general, and Aiko 6 in particular.

WoW!!! This is very impressive, and a great example of using DS as a support application for Carrara.
    edited December 1969

Thanks EP and Dustrider. Here is how I plan to combine the Aiko 6 that I clothed and posed in Studio with the Aiko 6 that I made the clothes for in Carrara for the default Genesis 2 female and then used the dials within Carrara to morph to Aiko 6.

If I can manage in the time remaining, I am going to create a scene in which people driving along route 66 take a picture with the woman standing on a rock making it look like she is the same size as the woman on a big roadside sign. I modeled a simple cell phone and will place a render with the perspective on its screen. Another giant hand!

a_wip_for_perspective.jpg
    640 x 480 - 31K
    edited December 1969

Sounds way cool!

• DaleHardmanDaleHardman Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Progress Update:

I have used a Realistic Sky preset from Tim Payne to set the mood.

I have started to play with the landscape shader.

I have added some trees. I have hand placed the foreground & mid-ground trees (I chose 2 preset trees & then played with them in the plant generator) & then created a plane & adjusted the shape to a long strip. I then used a surface replicator on the plane & added one of each tree type to be replicated. I set the Z axis adjustment to 180* & the scale adjustment to 50% to mix things up. I set the plane along the back left edge of my landscape & then duplicated the plane & rotated it 90* on the Z axis so it runs down the back right edge of the landscape.

If I have enough free time before the deadline I will work on adding more details.

arlington_wip004.png
    960 x 540 - 701K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited December 1969

Looking awesome! I also love the detailed explanation of your scene-creation process! ;) Very Cool!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Progress Update:

I have added some trees. I have hand placed the foreground & mid-ground trees (I chose 2 preset trees & then played with them in the plant generator) & then created a plane & adjusted the shape to a long strip. I then used a surface replicator on the plane & added one of each tree type to be replicated. I set the Z axis adjustment to 180* & the scale adjustment to 50% to mix things up. I set the plane along the back left edge of my landscape & then duplicated the plane & rotated it 90* on the Z axis so it runs down the back right edge of the landscape.

If I have enough free time before the deadline I will work on adding more details.

Impressive athmosphere as I like them!
    I believe that it would be well to slightly shift the light to have shades a little less perpendicular to the tombs.If you place a texture with embossing in the front, it will be highlighted.
    Good work!

• DaleHardmanDaleHardman Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

@Dartanbeck - Thanks for the kind words :red: Yeah I wanted to share as much as I can about what I did so others my be able to use it some day... Or maybe someone knows a more efficient way to do what I did and then I can learn something :lol:

@DUDU - Thanks for pointing out the shadows. After pushing things around all over the place sometimes you miss the small details. I will play with the angle a bit and see what happens :) I chose to leave the marker stones blank for artistic effect. When I was doing some research for this project I came across an image that was taken showing the back of the markers so they were all blank. This had a much stronger impact on me then the ones that showed the fronts with the names on them. I think it was because if it was a tight shot on a single stone or a few of them only the names help make an emotional connection with those buried there. In a wide field shot all the names become white noise and for me lose some of the emotion. With the sea of blank stones instead it could then be anyone & with all my friends & family who have served, are on active duty or have gave their lives in battle it hits me more this way.

Sorry I was trying to give a simple explanation of my choice & instead I give you more information then you wanted to know :red:

edited August 2014

Sorry I've been away most of today.

Dale, that scene is looking great! I know I said it before, sorry if I'm repeating it, but that scene is sadly massive.

Kashyyk, I knew your scene would give the creeps (in a good way) and you've certainly done that and more!
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44589/#661040

Diomede, I love all the little details in your scene. It came together really, really nicely! Now get that other one done! ;-)
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44589/#661040

edited August 2014

I posted this in the Challenge Update thread in The Commons and thought it could fit here as well!

I just want to stress that the entry deadline is coming up on Friday evening (US), so if you’ve been working on something, but weren’t sure if you were going to enter, let me just say, ENTER!!! The more the merrier!

I know that it can be scary putting your work, and by extension, yourself out there for all to see. So if you’re new to Carrara or 3D artwork in general, I encourage you to take a leap of faith and post a WIP or just ask some questions! Even if you decide not to enter something, at least by asking a question, hopefully you’ve learned an answer and become part of a great community!

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Thanks EP and Dustrider. Here is how I plan to combine the Aiko 6 that I clothed and posed in Studio with the Aiko 6 that I made the clothes for in Carrara for the default Genesis 2 female and then used the dials within Carrara to morph to Aiko 6.

If I can manage in the time remaining, I am going to create a scene in which people driving along route 66 take a picture with the woman standing on a rock making it look like she is the same size as the woman on a big roadside sign. I modeled a simple cell phone and will place a render with the perspective on its screen. Another giant hand!

brilliant idea diomede64, love how art mimicks life :)

evil, thanks for the data on the shadow pass, I thought I was sposed to use a background image or something, the stuff in the manual is minimalistic ....

edited December 1969

Progress Update:

Dale, beautiful and rhythmic, love the shadows! Will you use a little atmospheric haze? Maybe add a tuft of grass or two on the bases of the markers? maybe some marks in the grass where people walk ?

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    diomede64 said:

brilliant idea diomede64, love how art mimicks life :)

evil, thanks for the data on the shadow pass, I thought I was sposed to use a background image or something, the stuff in the manual is minimalistic ....

You can if you want. I usually use one as a reference and then I just leave it there when I render with the alpha (non-multiplied). Your mileage may vary. Or do you say, your kilometerage may vary in Oz?

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

As usual, I fall off into real life and then come back to 16 pages of awesome! So many great ideas! Wow!

In the mean while, I am still hitting the wall with the fur issue. I've tried just about everything I can think of. Including multiple hairs on the same figure, but I am still not happy with the result (attached).

Suggestions for improvement are always welcome, and I'd love to get this looking properly. Maybe it's a lighting issue instead of shading/shaping issue?

One interesting thing, though: I've discovered that setting up the lights to affect everything but the hair and then setting up another light to affect JUST the hair shaved off about 10 min of render time. Just by doing that. I didn't mess with anything else. I just separate the lights on objects and the light on hair and whoosh it went rendering almost in a blink. I wouldn't have thought of it and I am still not sure why it works that way, so it was just a happy accident, but I'll be using this trick from now on whenever I need to render dynamic hair.

Now I've got all the components in the image - grass, owl, sky, etc. Grass and flowers are severely modified (using both morphs and modifiers). All shaders in the scene are my own. There are 3 hair objects on the rabbit and about 7 hair groups amongst them.

But as far as the main theme, here we've got life and death riding on the size, so I really don't know how it could possibly matter more! :)

Doc11.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 406K
  • AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Previous post is the raw render pre-postwork. And here is what I was able to come up with through layer compositing in post.

Still not happy with the damned fur! :( But I am about ready to declare defeat :( though I dearly wish I know what the hell am I doing wrong here.

I am still open to suggestions, as i would love to get this look more realistic, but if no suggestions appear (of the ones I haven't tried yet), this will have to be my final entry :(

EP, If I fall off the radar again, please re-post this one for me in the final entry thread when it opens! (But I'll try to remember and check back here before the deadline to post it myself if I can.)

Other suggestions for improvement (not just of fur) are also welcome, as always. But the fur is my biggest sore spot here.
    In case it needs to entered into final entries thread in my absence, here are the specs:
    Title: Size matters: Difference between life and death.
    Credits:
    Rabbit and Owl from Poser Animals pack.
    Grass and Flowers are butchered objects from Howie Farkes
    HDRI is from Dimension Theory
    (Shaders are all my own and so is the hair. The postwork is DOF + layer compositing - lots of layer compositing...)

Rabbit_ed.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M