--August Carrara Monthly Challenge: SIZE MATTERS!-- WIP thread

Comments

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    DADA_universe , welcome to the fray. Beautiful distortion, love the complexity!
    Here's me, a few rats investigating abandonned disco ball....

That's sweet!
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    Hi to all,
    I've found a little time (too little ?) to work on this challenge.

I wanted to go for a close-up, on a workbench (wood workbench and a brick wall behind) and, as a result, had the problem to have material seen from close.
    Colour was simple enough because you can find hires textures easily enough, but bump or normal map would do the trick, because the shadows weren't right.
    I tried using subdivision, but it didn't give the result I wanted.
    I ended up with using the terrain editor with a custom bump map as an import.
    I find the result quite satisfactory and wanted to share it:

What is the advantage of doing it this way as compared to using a vertex plane and then using this texture and bump map in a shader?

edited December 1969

Here is my last WIP pics on this. My Depth, hair and original image. I'm rendering the final image one last time to add a texture to the limbs and one plant is leaving a perfect square hole through the background plants and it looks wierd when I do the DOF I photoshopped it out where the circle is, I fixed for my final render. I was testing my hair addition to the DOF image, plus I wanted a DOF effect on the spider and I think I got a good result.

show4.jpg
    1000 x 554 - 157K
    show3.png
    1000 x 554 - 960K
    show2.jpg
    1000 x 554 - 79K
    show1.jpg
    1000 x 554 - 100K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Here is my last WIP pics on this. My Depth, hair and original image. I'm rendering the final image one last time to add a texture to the limbs and one plant is leaving a perfect square hole through the background plants and it looks wierd when I do the DOF I photoshopped it out where the circle is, I fixed for my final render. I was testing my hair addition to the DOF image, plus I wanted a DOF effect on the spider and I think I got a good result.

You're doing an excellent job on depicting a macro scale!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

thanks for the comments on the rats everyone - and the advice on the hair :) I had a go at draping it and it exploded all over the street - I'll give them a shampoo and low dry and see how they look :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    thanks for the comments on the rats everyone - and the advice on the hair :) I had a go at draping it and it exploded all over the street - I'll give them a shampoo and low dry and see how they look :)

I would just give it a bit of brushing. Y'know, work out the tangles and rat's nests. ;-)

edited December 1969

pimpy : the bend on the straw is amazingly effective,

Philemo: thanks for sharing that shader - so the big advantage is for the bump? for your second render of the mannequins maybe you could try a shadow pass and add that in to darken it a little - to give it more punch via tonal range?

kashyyyk, your spider is giving me the creeps :) The dof looks great, it really gives that effect of the macro shot

PS stezza, can you fit our Lord Mayor in there instead of the purple toy - if you do he might give you a paper bag with 10 grand in (sorry non Aussies it's an oz joke)

edited August 2014

head wax said:

Philemo: thanks for sharing that shader - so the big advantage is for the bump? for your second render of the mannequins maybe you could try a shadow pass and add that in to darken it a little - to give it more punch via tonal range?

kashyyyk, your spider is giving me the creeps :) The dof looks great, it really gives that effect of the macro shot

PS stezza, can you fit our Lord Mayor in there instead of the purple toy - if you do he might give you a paper bag with 10 grand in (sorry non Aussies it's an oz joke)

You call your Mayors, Lord Mayor? Glad we threw off the yoke of British tyranny back in the day. Keep up the good fight! You too shall overcome! ;-P

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited August 2014

ha ha yes, we have a lord mayor one who allegedly sues you if you allegedly blink,
    recently he has been err accused of allegedly bribing a local MP with 10,000 in a paper bag - so our mayor is going to the high court (200 grand plus) to have the law changed so that he can allegedly get out of the alleged bribery charge ...
    je is a property developer who allegedly wants to build ;'huge' high rises in the middle of our heritage area,
    he is one of those allegedly responsible for selling off a lot of parks to developers,
    he is one of those allegedly who voted to sell our community art centre (40 plus studios) so that a huge apartment block can be built on it
    he sacked our art gallery director because allegedly the director stood up to him...

I allegedly like our lord mayor a lot ...
    in fact my image shows what the main street of my home town will look like i a few years if our allegedly lord mayor gets his alleged way

see http://www.newcastlestar.com.au/story/2469608/icac-update-andrew-cornwells-10000-mistake/?cs=1535

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

"I'm so glad we don't have corruption like that in our politics," said EP just before he choked on his own tongue. ;-)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
    edited December 1969

Ouch! Very cool works going on in here!

• DaleHardmanDaleHardman Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

I was able to finish the markerstones on foreground & then added a few duplicates and moved it around a bit. I think I might have enough depth in the shot now but I will sleep on it & see. Maybe tomorrow I can move on to trees & grass.

arlington_wip003.png
    960 x 540 - 723K
    arlington_wip002.png
    960 x 540 - 617K
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:

Very impressive work kashyyyk !
    I like also much your panorama, especially the tree trunk in the front plane .

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

I'm modelling an ant... wip...

ant2.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 622K
    ant1.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 256K
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

Hi Philemo,
    Glad to see that you participles with this challenge in spite of the work which you had with the precedent.
    What I like in your compositions, it's that you use “noncommercial” items, I know that it's contrary with the goal of these challenges but the creativity is more important in your case.

Hi Dudu,
    Not sure it's not in accordance with the goal of this challenge. Anyway, I also use commercial items (there were some in the two former challenges). As far as I can see, the purpose behind this challenge is to promote Carrara, not the complete DAZ catalog. I think the PC challenge is more focused on that goal. I also try to play by the rules and have at least the two required Carrara built object.

Using freebies is more linked with the way I work than anything else. Usually, I see an image in my mind eye and try to reproduce it. If I don't have what I need in the paid content I already have (and I'm beginning to have a lot :-)), I try to find it on the web.
    Sometime (but not with the challenges), it goes the other way round. I have a nice content and try to find an idea to use it.

edited August 2014

head wax said:

What is the advantage of doing it this way as compared to using a vertex plane and then using this texture and bump map in a shader?

For me, the advantage is in the self shadowing brought by having true geometry instead of faking it with bump map.

You can see below:
    #1 using terrain
    #2 associated shadow map
    #3 no terrain
    #4 associated shadow map

#3 is neater than #1 (there are resolution issue with my bump map), but, as it will be blurred by DOF, self shadowing is more important.

Actually, having starting to work on it gave me a lot of ideas, specifically if you associate an alpha map (thus not limiting yourself with rectangular shapes). for instance, I remember a recent post about a turf roof. I think you can achieve good results using terrain.

I'll try to post other examples.

Doc7_Shadow.png
    800 x 450 - 194K
    Doc7.png
    800 x 450 - 546K
    Doc8_Shadow.png
    800 x 450 - 904K
    Doc8.png
    800 x 450 - 666K
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • MarkHossackMarkHossack Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Great looking WIPs from everyone. I've looked in the entries thread as well and those posted so far are excellent.

I haven't had much of a chance to work on mine but hopefully I can get time at the weekend to finish it up.

edited August 2014

head wax said:

Philemo: for your second render of the mannequins maybe you could try a shadow pass and add that in to darken it a little - to give it more punch via tonal range?

You're right. I've tried it and I prefer it that way. Nothing beats a true painter eye :-)

Doc5b.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    head wax said:

For me, the advantage is in the self shadowing brought by having true geometry instead of faking it with bump map.

You can see below:
    #1 using terrain
    #2 associated shadow map
    #3 no terrain
    #4 associated shadow map

#3 is neater than #1 (there are resolution issue with my bump map), but, as it will be blurred by DOF, self shadowing is more important.

Actually, having starting to work on it gave me a lot of ideas, specifically if you associate an alpha map (thus not limiting yourself with rectangular shapes). for instance, I remember a recent post about a turf roof. I think you can achieve good results using terrain.

I'll try to post other examples.

I agree that there may be situations in which the terrain modeler might provide a good substitute for a bump map, not just for terrains. I didn't do a very good job of executing the method (I had the shader rotated), but you are correct that It came up in the thatch roof thread that you mentioned, here. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/41844/P45

Excellent job, Philemo. The little wooden dolls are the perfect touch with the tools.

edited December 1969

The reason for allowing content is that there are those that like to use it. It also shows DAZ that Carrara users use content in Carrara and just don't do everything from scratch. Hopefully DAZ 3D realizes that continuing to develop Carrara also encourages their core business.

Using Carrara made items is meant to educate the casual user about the depth of Carrara's feature set and hopefully demystify the tools. It's also to show that Carrara is much more than just a glorified Poser or Studio.

edited December 1969

The reason for allowing content is that there are those that like to use it. It also shows DAZ that Carrara users use content in Carrara and just don't do everything from scratch. Hopefully DAZ 3D realizes that continuing to develop Carrara also encourages their core business.

Using Carrara made items is meant to educate the casual user about the depth of Carrara's feature set and hopefully demystify the tools. It's also to show that Carrara is much more than just a glorified Poser or Studio.

Hi EP,
    What I wanted to say, it's that the fact of creating oneself the components of its scene is very productive for imagination and to show the power of the program.
    The fact of using commercial items is a manner to boosting the creativity around them.
    The same thing occurs in the musical composition, the manufacturers of synthesizers propose patterns and it's a base for the musicians to create their songs.
    It's the artist who decide if he wants to really make a pure creation or quite simply to remain in the arrangement of things which he did not create itself.
    In any event, it's the final result which counts for the generalt public !

edited December 1969

Finished Ant and setting scene...

setting.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 302K
    A7.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 187K
    A6.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 207K
    A5.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 226K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082
    edited December 1969

Great job modeling the ant!

edited December 1969

That ant looks great! The scene looks like it will be really cool as well!

Pilemo, if I didn't mention it before, thanks for the great explanation on using the terrain.

edited December 1969

Ugh! I was super busy yesterday doing things in three times the amount of time they should have!

Anyway, I just want to remind everybody that the submission thread closes this up-coming Friday, August 15, 2014. Voting then opens.

edited August 2014

@ Diomede & EP thank you!
    (I'm thinking to share my ant model to all the Carrara users on CarraraCafe when the challenge will be close. Hope enjoy it :)

And here the final image created with two images (background image created in Carrara using DOF and forward image created in Carrara using alpha channel) final image edited in Gimp

dof_effect.jpg
    2000 x 1024 - 588K
    ant_final.jpg
    2000 x 1838 - 1022K
    Post edited by pimpy on
    edited December 1969

Hi Pimpy!
    Excellent work !
    I sought an ant at the beginning for my entry and I didn't find any…
    I know now that I will have some for the next time.
    They is a little unhappy which your ants are not more in value in your composition, considering the excellent work of modeling that you carried out.
    Congratulation!

edited December 1969

Hi Pimpy!
    Excellent work !
    I sought an ant at the beginning for my entry and I didn't find any…
    I know now that I will have some for the next time.
    They is a little unhappy which your ants are not more in value in your composition, considering the excellent work of modeling that you carried out.
    Congratulation!

Hi Dudu, thank you very much and I know that the ants are not in value but in my mind was important not the single elements but the full scene :-)

edited December 1969

pimpy said:
    (I'm thinking to share my ant model to all the Carrara users on CarraraCafe when the challenge will be close. Hope enjoy it :)

And here the final image created with two images (background image created in Carrara using DOF and forward image created in Carrara using alpha channel) final image edited in Gimp

Hi Pimpy. That is great. the only issue for me, is that the ant in the background is barely noticeable. Is there a way to provide a little accent light around the edges to help define the shape a bit?

edited December 1969

pimpy said:

Hi Pimpy. That is great. the only issue for me, is that the ant in the background is barely noticeable. Is there a way to provide a little accent light around the edges to help define the shape a bit?

I'll try to increase a little the two shape ligths( that I have in the scene) around the ant ...
    Thanks EP