steampunk why so much steampunk

it seems like some steampunk obsessed cult has taken over daz. why is there so much steampunk stuff. it seems forced and not organic in any way. 

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,247

If I had to guess, I'd say the people who keep buying steampunk content, creating an economic incentive for creators to keep making it. 
    In other words, the cult is capitalism. 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,466
    edited March 2021

I've wondered the same. Also that , to me, the stuff seems so far fetched. A steampunk ostrich, pulling a cart about did it for me. The dog thing pretty out there too. Art is about the ability to create the unusual and different, but I sort of like something that is believable a bit. 

Post edited by daveso on
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

I love Steampunk and apparently, I have bought about 190 Steampunk themed items since the end of 2019, so I guess I am a member of the evil Steampunk conspiracy cult aiming to take over the DAZ sales page and make it only display Steampunk stuff. Gradually, of course, so that nobody notices before it is too late. Some sneaky buggers we are...cool

Joking aside, Steampunk is quite a popular genre, and as Gordig said above - it sells, therefore, some PA's tend to produce more Steampunk themed products, resulting in more sales. Works fine for me. Better than, say,  teenage girls pretending to be adult women.

Oh, and I find that Ostrich absolutely awesome. With the cart or without it.wink

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,310

I agree, and what was particularly disappointing was that that last  2 weeks the PC+ item to trigger a Newly Mad has been a steampunk item, that I know I will never use. I always though steampunk was quite a small niche interest (certainly compared to sci-fi and medieval/fantasy), but it seems to represent a lot of new content recently.

Some steam punk items can be kit-based into more standard content, by dropping things like cogs or goggles, but I can not see how I can kit bash a steampunk dog into anything useful.

• BandoriFanBandoriFan Posts: 364
    edited March 2021

I actually like steam punk stuff. It's probably popular because of the light and dark contrast with the neons 

Edit: I was thinking of cyberpunk tho steampunk is nice too 

Post edited by BandoriFan on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,565

I don't mind steampunk, but the store loosely uses terms like steampunk, sci-fi, cyberpunk etc. itnerchangeably. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,550

Steampunk is way better than skimpy bikinis cheeky

The clothing doesn't need much tinkering to pass for 19th century ones, which is a good thing.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601

yeah, not a fan of steampunk myself and can't see buying any steampunk content, but as pointed out, I guess I am in the minority. At least i am in the skimpwear majority,  so keep it coming, LOL

• cajhincajhin Posts: 154

I started buying some steampunk stuff just so I had toys for Stonemason's awesome "Streets of Steampunk". Maybe I'm not the only one, I don't remember that much steampunk content before that environment was released(?)

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,170
    I did that environment because there wasn't really any steampunk environments in the store.. Started it about 3 years ago and in all that time there still wasn't anything placed in the store. It's a popular genre, just surprised there isn't more of it at Daz
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,767

SP is a sub-genre of sci-fi ... And it's a huge thing ... been to a sci-con the past five years? Everything from Sherlock to Dr Who to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein ... actually, I believe she started this mess, lol.

FSMCDesigns said:

yeah, not a fan of steampunk myself and can't see buying any steampunk content, but as pointed out, I guess I am in the minority. At least i am in the skimpwear majority,  so keep it coming, LOL

you won't be disappointed in Daz or P land then laugh 

edited March 2021

i did a store search for steam punk and about 540 items popped up. I have 37 purchased products out of the 1st 180 items, including Stonemason's The Streets of Steampunk

Post edited by daveso on
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

Stonemason said:

I did that environment because there wasn't really any steampunk environments in the store.. Started it about 3 years ago and in all that time there still wasn't anything placed in the store. It's a popular genre, just surprised there isn't more of it at Daz

Your set is fantastic, thank you very much for creating it. yes

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,606

Stonemason said:

...I have it and I love it. 

Yeah, some items can go a bit "off the  edge", but being a long time fan of HG Wells Victorian era "science fiction" as well as the more recent Difference Engine novel by William Gibson (which sort of launched the genre as we know it) I find it enjoyable. 

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

kyoto kid said:

Yeah, some items can go a bit "off the  edge", but being a long time fan of HG Wells Victorian era "science fiction" as well as the more recent Difference Engine novel by William Gibson (which sort of launched the genre as we know it) I find it enjoyable. 

I love William Gibson!!!!! I mean, I used to be absolutely obsessed. But I haven't read this one yet. I will go get it now. laugh Maybe I will join the ranks of Steampunk fans afterward. 

...it's a big book and somewhat heavy reading, but worth it

kyoto kid said:

...it's a big book and somewhat heavy reading, but worth it

The bigger, the better! Now, by heavy do you mean depressing? Cause that I don't like. If you just mean dense or unusual word use, that's fine. 

...no, more what some refer to as "thick" writing.

kyoto kid said:

...no, more what some refer to as "thick" writing.

That works for me! I had a sample sent to my kindle. Just waiting for it to charge. 

Apologies to everyone else for derailing the thread. I'll be quiet now. :3 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,251

stop trying to make steampunk happen guys

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,310

Stonemason said:

I have that set, and it is fantastic. The best part about it for me, is that you only need to delete the cogs, and the set is no longer steampunk, but Streets of London II.

• RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    lilweep said:

and I thought this was a ART site.
  • JVRendererJVRenderer Posts: 661

RorrKonn said:

lilweep said:

and I thought this was a ART site.

It is an ART site, but some folks are not necessarily ARTISTS

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,767

If you hang out here, you're an artist ... maybe not formally trained, but still an artist.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117
    lilweep said:

I think y'all are confusing Steampunk for Cyberpunk. Now that feels forced.
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,144

TGSNT said:

it seems like some steampunk obsessed cult has taken over daz. why is there so much steampunk stuff. it seems forced and not organic in any way. 

Even more than steampunk is the overflowing cyberpunk around here. Something else I have less than zero interest in. LOL But hey, that's just me :P

Laurie 

• RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509

If you hang out here, you're an artist ... maybe not formally trained, but still an artist.

Just cause they paid some university for a art class .dont make them a artist either. Boris.Royo they proved there artist.
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

...I have the same lack of interest whne it comes to high fantasy, horror, and "sexy" content (even much what is supposed to be "practical everyday" clothing ends up under this last category) that makes up a much larger portion of what is available in the store here.

Cyberpunk is another genre I have a major interest in, as in a way it was part of what got me into this (again I reference William Gibson, as well as having been involved with CP tabletop RPGs) for creating illustrations of characters, related scenes, and eventually a story that it spawned. .

While there has been a fair amount of content on teh theme available, much doesn't often capture the true gritty dystopian nature of the Genre. Props like weapons often tend to be too "future sci-fi" (though there was a set recently released that look more appropriate).  One of the signature components that is lacking are individual implants, such as data and chip jacks, eyes, fibreoptic cables, etc, as well as gear like Cyberdecks (not just a "souped up laptop" with fancy lights), tool kits B&E gear, and wearable tech like "trode nets", comm gear, vision/audio enhancers and the like.  Much of the clothing is also far too stylised/stylish (and often skimpy) for someone who would be looking to break into a high tech facility to steal data files for a new prototype or sneak around the back alleys of a  sprawl (city) expecting a firefight to break out any moment whether with gangs, rivals, or law enforcement.  Speaking of the authorities, armoured wear for security guards, law enforcement, and special ops is another area that tends to be pretty lacking as like weapons, most advanced armour available tends to be too "futuristic" sci-fi or simply not very protective (apologies but no LE officer is going to with her face, cleavage, and belly exposed go into a situation with a cybered up, "sammy" [as they are referred to] who is also "juiced" on combat drugs).

Now granted, models don't have to be exact duplicates of items from the games or film, but "good "approximations"  that look more "realistic" in the sense of the genre shouldn't cause an issue (look at he many vehicles sold here that are close but not exact reproductions of ones in RL). .Again, the set of firearms that was released a couple months ago is a good example of something that works as they look close to what one would find in gear sections of game rules or in the print/film media.

One PA I will mention who is turning out excellent content that works with the genre is Stonemason.  His Urban Future series is one of the major standouts. as well as the Urban Sprawl 2 & 3 sets, gritty standalone ones like Tin Pan Alley, Walled City & Darkside of the City along with the Urban Ruins series and Greeble City Blocks sets all work very well together, particularly given the modular quality they have (I have most of the above).  Other PAs as well have contributed environments that fit with the theme, some CP themed while others just seem to work very well, so that is one area where there is no shortage of content.  It's the other items I mentioned above that could use a little more work.