steampunk why so much steampunk

Comments

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    I think steampunk items in the store would catch on better if we had more quality items. I'm surprised no one has created a decent steam train locomotive let alone a steampunk version. But no, we get a steampunk ostrich.
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

mwokee said:

I think steampunk items in the store would catch on better if we had more quality items. I'm surprised no one has created a decent steam train locomotive let alone a steampunk version. But no, we get a steampunk ostrich.

This one is not decent enough?

https://www.daz3d.com/spirit-of-punk

https://www.daz3d.com/spirit-of-punk-train-iray

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    Watchdog, no, I've seen them, I think they are horrible.

mwokee said:

Watchdog, no, I've seen them, I think they are horrible.

I see. Well, different people like different things. I find it quite nice, even if it lacks interior completely.

There is also this, but it not a railroad engine. Old, but updated for Iray. The promos are seriously lacking, amd do not give the product enough credit, though:

https://www.daz3d.com/sgm-explorer

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,991

TGSNT said:

it seems like some steampunk obsessed cult has taken over daz. why is there so much steampunk stuff. it seems forced and not organic in any way. 

Why are you against such items?

I have heard such opinions before and still does not understand the base of the problem.

We have so many items in Daz store, that complaing about just one of the categories, seams a bit strange for me.

Artini said:

TGSNT said:

it seems like some steampunk obsessed cult has taken over daz. why is there so much steampunk stuff. it seems forced and not organic in any way. 

Why are you against such items?

I have heard such opinions before and still does not understand the base of the problem.

We have so many items in Daz store, that complaing about just one of the categories, seams a bit strange for me.

I think the core of the complaint was the fact that some items would unlock extra discounts, and among them one could often find a single PC+ item (meaning low cost), however, these PC+ items were Steampunk themed on multiple occasions.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,695

watchdog79 said:

mwokee said:

If steampunk is thought as Victorian era enhanced by what might have been technologically possible at the time, the spirit of punk looks too modern. It looks more like 1930's "20th Century Limited" 

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,655

Love Steampunk - more please

Love Cyberpunk - more please

Love DAZPunk - bound to mean something - more please

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,840

kyoto kid said:

While there has been a fair amount of content on teh theme available, much doesn't often capture the true gritty dystopian nature of the Genre. Props like weapons often tend to be too "future sci-fi" (though there was a set recently released that look more appropriate).  One of the signature components that is lacking are individual implants, such as data and chip jacks, eyes, fibreoptic cables, etc, as well as gear like Cyberdecks (not just a "souped up laptop" with fancy lights), tool kits B&E gear, and wearable tech like "trode nets", comm gear, vision/audio enhancers and the like.  Much of the clothing is also far too stylised/stylish (and often skimpy) for someone who would be looking to break into a high tech facility to steal data files for a new prototype or sneak around the back alleys of a  sprawl (city) expecting a firefight to break out any moment whether with gangs, rivals, or law enforcement.  Speaking of the authorities, armoured wear for security guards, law enforcement, and special ops is another area that tends to be pretty lacking as like weapons, most advanced armour available tends to be too "futuristic" sci-fi or simply not very protective (apologies but no LE officer is going to with her face, cleavage, and belly exposed go into a situation with a cybered up, "sammy" [as they are referred to] who is also "juiced" on combat drugs).

It's basically all "corporate glam". Instead what you would see on the streets it's the versions that get trod out in advertisements and soap operas, sanitised and sterilised for delivery to the consumers.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited March 2021

Everybody has their interests. I have no interest in butt floss and latex and especially no interest in female characters of questionable age, but clearly with the amount of said content in the store, enough people are interested in it. 

My issue is that no matter the genre, the overall quality of clothing products is lacking, especially when it comes to stuff such as medieval fantasy (and I'm not talking about boob plate).

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117
    edited March 2021

Steampunk originally questioned British Imperialism. Cyberpunk was originally against invasive surveillance, among other things. What would DAZPunk be against? Men having good clothes? Cute little dogs? Cat 8?
    Post edited by MimicMolly on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,944

I don't mind Steampunk myself, I certainly prefer it to medieval fantasy skimp

I prefer Historically accurate Victorian and Medieval etc but will take what I can get wink

MimicMolly said:

Silent Winter said:

Steampunk originally questioned British Imperialism. Cyberpunk was originally against invasive surveillance, among other things. What would DAZPunk be against? Men having good clothes? Cute little dogs? Cat 8?

Current Steampunk is often more like British Empire on steroids, perhaps with a bit of idealistic polish.smiley

PerttiA said:

watchdog79 said:

mwokee said:

If steampunk is thought as Victorian era enhanced by what might have been technologically possible at the time, the spirit of punk looks too modern. It looks more like 1930's "20th Century Limited" 

Hmm, I have to admit I am not an expert on steam locomotive designs. Would you have any image of a Steampunk locomotive would you like to see here? Perhaps some PA would take up the challenge?

• "why so much steampunk in the store"

Steampunk/Victorian per the genre drop menu: 479 items

Total items in store: 37,893

= 1.26%

Steampunk would go even lower if the Victorian items were not rolled into it.  As someone who uses steampunk based assets a lot, DAZ serves my needs quite well.  Do I wish it was more? Sure.  But it doesn't compel me to complain about the remaining 98.74% of the store.  As always, supply typically reflects demand.

edited March 2021

watchdog79 said:

PerttiA said:

watchdog79 said:

mwokee said:

Hmm, I have to admit I am not an expert on steam locomotive designs. Would you have any image of a Steampunk locomotive would you like to see here? Perhaps some PA would take up the challenge?

Have a look at Hornby's Basset-Lowke range of model locomotives. They come much closer.

Also in regards to weapons, Bergmann prototypes and the various late 19th Century ring-trigger pistols (Ian at Forgotten Weapons recently covered some) are a good inspiration, much better compared to brass-coloured 50s space guns.

Post edited by Ascania on
  • There is never too much of any genre but too little of any other!smiley

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,695

watchdog79 said:

PerttiA said:

Victorian era was 1837-1901, so the base train should resemble something from that era. Doc Brown had a pretty good idea for the outcome...

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117

MimicMolly said:

Silent Winter said:

Current Steampunk is often more like British Empire on steroids, perhaps with a bit of idealistic polish.smiley

Yeah, modern Cyberpunk is just trashy neon aesthetic now. I don't know what era of DAZPunk we're in. :c
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

PerttiA said:

watchdog79 said:

PerttiA said:

Victorian era was 1837-1901, so the base train should resemble something from that era. Doc Brown had a pretty good idea for the outcome...

The Spirit of Punk train feels (to me) like something that could be in Final Fantasy VII. I always thought that game had a "punk something" vibe...what would that be? Diesel Punk? Not really...because that's supposed to be like WWI to WWII era. 

On that note...what would Final Fantasy IX be...Steampunk? That had wood-based airships, etc.  

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,818

Ascania said:

watchdog79 said:

PerttiA said:

watchdog79 said:

mwokee said:

Have a look at Hornby's Basset-Lowke range of model locomotives. They come much closer.

Also in regards to weapons, Bergmann prototypes and the various late 19th Century ring-trigger pistols (Ian at Forgotten Weapons recently covered some) are a good inspiration, much better compared to brass-coloured 50s space guns.

I am not a fan (as in a fanatic) per se, but when a cat man was released in the near past, I set him up in a steampunk bar with one of those weapons you linked and thought I had an excellent render for a futuristic world.

I enjoy the curves and crativity that I see in the variety of products offered. But I also wonder how viable how some of the products would be in a real world?

When I was small, my father was a member of the Los Angeles Live Steamers and built to 1/4in scale steam locomotives in our garage and we had a train track in our backyard in Los Angeles. I knew more about driving a steam locomotive as a child, than cars as a teen. Don't ask me now, it was well over 55 years ago now. But safety around the boilers was a major issue all of the kids of members were taught. 

I also acknowledge that 3D art is at its core is fantasy and not restricted to science. So more Steam Punk that can be used in all forms is great with me. But please, how about more Victorian/Edwardian era clothing of all levels of society and ages? 

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225

lilweep said:

stop trying to make steampunk happen guys

Love the Mean Girls reference laugh

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

So how many steampunks can dance on the head of a pin?

edited March 2021

memcneil70 said:

Ascania said:

watchdog79 said:

PerttiA said:

watchdog79 said:

mwokee said:

I am not a fan (as in a fanatic) per se, but when a cat man was released in the near past, I set him up in a steampunk bar with one of those weapons you linked and thought I had an excellent render for a futuristic world.

I enjoy the curves and crativity that I see in the variety of products offered. But I also wonder how viable how some of the products would be in a real world?

When I was small, my father was a member of the Los Angeles Live Steamers and built to 1/4in scale steam locomotives in our garage and we had a train track in our backyard in Los Angeles. I knew more about driving a steam locomotive as a child, than cars as a teen. Don't ask me now, it was well over 55 years ago now. But safety around the boilers was a major issue all of the kids of members were taught. 

I also acknowledge that 3D art is at its core is fantasy and not restricted to science. So more Steam Punk that can be used in all forms is great with me. But please, how about more Victorian/Edwardian era clothing of all levels of society and ages? 

Absolutely. The question is not whether it is a good or bad product on its own merits (although with some products it is quite a struggle as the chosen styling matches with absolutely nothing else) but I find them too often "too fantasy" or just missing the purported time period.

Sevrin said:

Depends on how much sherry the chaperone had.
    Post edited by Ascania on

Sevrin said:

Depends on the horsepower of the steam engine powering the pin.

• RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    I hate mundane . borring . been done to death. Uunoriginal. I want way way way out of the box .
  • WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

Silent Winter said:

198.....ehhh i think i will better plead the 5th indecision

If some one hired a 3d artist to model a steam train .it would coast . around $3000.00. A lot a whole lot goes in to making your content.

RorrKonn said:

If some one hired a 3d artist to model a steam train .it would coast . around $3000.00. A lot a whole lot goes in to making your content.

We know. But what has that got to do with the topic?

Ascania said:

RorrKonn said:

We know. But what has that got to do with the topic?

Give me a blueprint of a model that a 100% of the people we love .