The Mac FAQ

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473

inquire said:

This seems to be new. This morning when I clicked on the Software Update icon I saw this (screen shot). It says that software updates for this (my) Mac are managed externally. It asks if I want to restore default update settings. It says previous updates will not be removed. Maybe I clicked on something I didn't mean to. I don't know how this happened. But, anyway, shall I click on "restore default update settings"?

That usually happens when the system runs beta software, or you have something that installed that sets it that way. I would restore to manual updating.

I have that only on my Apple DTK, where beta updates are managed through the beta update manager. 

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088

@Totte: OK, thank you very much. I restored defaults.

• Now that Octane X has been released in the Apple App Store, has anyone been brave enough to try it out and be willing to instruct us on the workflow from DAZStudio to Octane X?

It works on Big Sur and the Apple Silicon hardware, so my thinking (uh oh) is that exporting to FBX from DS (running on a non-Big Sur/non-Apple Silicon Mac) and importing into the standalone Octane X on Big Sur and/or M1 Mac might work?  We have the Octane Render Kit, so perhaps using it to apply Octane materials before the FBX export to limit the amount of adjustments needed once the scene is in Octane?

Or is there a DAZStudio to Octane X Standalone plug-in/bridge available?

So many questions.  I'm openly ignorant of using Octane (obviously).  Any helpful thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :)

Lee

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663
    edited March 2021

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

Now that Octane X has been released in the Apple App Store, has anyone been brave enough to try it out and be willing to instruct us on the workflow from DAZStudio to Octane X?

It works on Big Sur and the Apple Silicon hardware, so my thinking (uh oh) is that exporting to FBX from DS (running on a non-Big Sur/non-Apple Silicon Mac) and importing into the standalone Octane X on Big Sur and/or M1 Mac might work?  We have the Octane Render Kit, so perhaps using it to apply Octane materials before the FBX export to limit the amount of adjustments needed once the scene is in Octane?

Or is there a DAZStudio to Octane X Standalone plug-in/bridge available?

So many questions.  I'm openly ignorant of using Octane (obviously).  Any helpful thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :)

Lee

OctaneX requires MacOS Big Sur which DAZ is not yet compaible with & and at this time there is no Daz to Octane plugin for the Mac

Post edited by Platnumk on
  • I have 2 Macs.  One is an M1 MacBook Air on Big Sur (naturally) and the other is a 16" MacBook Pro i9 on Catalina.  The MacBook Pro is my DAZ rendering machine.  I was thinking about trying out Octane X by sending an exported DAZ scene file from the MacBook Pro over to the MacBook Air running Octane X.  I don't know how Octane X works as a standalone app.

If someone gets a chance to try out the standalone Octane X and report back here or in a new forum topic, I'd be thrilled. :)  I don't want to jump in first. LOL! (Very retired Apple software developer here.)

Thanks for the info re: DAZ to Octane plugin for the Mac, Platnumk.  I suspected that would be the case. :)

Yep, I'm hoping the next big version of DAZ Studio comes out this summer with Big Sur support.

Lee

I jiust downloaded the Octane-X and it is not complied for M1, so it runs throigh Rosetta2, but as it's mostly using Metal APIs I guess that's not an issue. Haven't purchased a license though so I can test, yet.
    But will probably do soon, at least a month just to test.

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291

Platnumk said:

Grafx Studio said:

Totte, First I want to thank you with all the help you gave me through the last year os so. I won't be asking you a Mac question for a while. Moved to a PC. The question I do have is there a program or script to import non smart items into your Daz directory instead of doing it manually

take a look at Content Wizard by RiverSoftArt 

I'm about to be gifted a fairly nice Win10 machine, myself, which will handle my render needs a lot better (and free my MBPro back up for writing and book layout tasks, which is what it should be doing instead). I was wondering if I might just be able to use DIMM, by pointing it from the Windows machine across the network to the /data folder in my Daz 3D library (which lives on a shared user account).

I feel like that's something that DIMM should be able to do, so long as my network sharing settings are set up properly, but I am - as they say - not sure.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Chronopunk said:

Platnumk said:

Grafx Studio said:

Totte, First I want to thank you with all the help you gave me through the last year os so. I won't be asking you a Mac question for a while. Moved to a PC. The question I do have is there a program or script to import non smart items into your Daz directory instead of doing it manually

I'm about to be gifted a fairly nice Win10 machine, myself, which will handle my render needs a lot better (and free my MBPro back up for writing and book layout tasks, which is what it should be doing instead). I was wondering if I might just be able to use DIMM, by pointing it from the Windows machine across the network to the /data folder in my Daz 3D library (which lives on a shared user account).

I feel like that's something that DIMM should be able to do, so long as my network sharing settings are set up properly, but I am - as they say - not sure.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Don't point it to the /data folder, point it to "My Daz 3D Library".

Fixmypcmike said:

Chronopunk said:

Platnumk said:

Grafx Studio said:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Don't point it to the /data folder, point it to "My Daz 3D Library".

Ah, yeah, d'oh. The data folder's no good without the rest, is it.

Thanks for saving me THAT headache. :)

• 3Don3Don Posts: 690
    edited March 2021

I am trying to find out which Mac OS will run on my iMac (late 2013, OS 10.10.3) & run Nvidia renders. Presently I run DS 4.9.4.122. From responses I hear that Hi Sierra is the last OS to run Nvidia before Apple pulled the plug on that graphics card. I can get some Iray renders with what I have, but many are problematic depending on which compatible Iray lights I use. I can get a used Mac that will run Hi Sierra & supposedly render Iray. But I don't know which version of DS will work on HS.
    Even if that is possible, the problem I have is getting that version of DS. I have queried Daz about getting an older DS version, but was told that older versions are not available. What? It's a piece of software & exists somewhere at Daz. Mostly Daz recommends getting a new PC to run DS & Iray. After 30 years as a Mac user, a new Windows machine & OS is more expense, with a big learning curve, than I want to deal with.
    Can anyone confirm Hi Sierra is the last Nvidia graphics card OS & which version of DS is compatible? I sthere another source for getting an older version of DS?

Post edited by Cris Palomino on

Well it appears there are no helpful suggestions to my dilema, or there are not as many mainly Mac users as there used to be. I assume more of us Mac-ers are going to PCs to keep up wit DS. Does any one have any recommendatins for a good PC, one "sympathetic" to Mac users? I may have to go that route. Argh...

edited March 2021

Well, I don't think you have to go to a PC. DAZ does want people to keep up with their versions of DS; I think that's why it's hard to get an earlier version. Also, I think the new Macs are going to provide a lot in terms of speed and resolution. And, if you notice, DAZ is getting set to provide more ways of rendering besides iRay. Octane-X has just released a version for Apple. Filament should be available soon on the Macs. And look at all the Bridges DAZ is providing.

It's all up to you, of course, but my preference is to keep up with the DS versions (currently on 4.15.0.2, and Catalina 10.15.7), and I'm looking forward to buying a new Mac with the M1 (or whatever named chip) Apple will provide. 

You wrote From responses I hear that Hi Sierra is the last OS to run Nvidia before Apple pulled the plug on that graphics card. Now, I'm not trying to have an argument, but from my point of view this means reverting to the past and getting an older version of DS (if you can) which, while it may render faster with iRay, won't let you keep up with the latest DAZ figures and features.

Yes, you could, of course, try a PC, but the PC users are having problems, too. Do you want to get into a whole new set of problems? Nvidia would probably love for you to become dependent upon them.

But, again, do as you choose. And I wish you the best of luck with whatever choice you make.

Post edited by inquire on
  • PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663

3Don said:

Well it appears there are no helpful suggestions to my dilema, or there are not as many mainly Mac users as there used to be. I assume more of us Mac-ers are going to PCs to keep up wit DS. Does any one have any recommendatins for a good PC, one "sympathetic" to Mac users? I may have to go that route. Argh...

High Serria is the last version that supports nvidia gfx cards as support was removed by apple after that & won't allow nvidia to make drivers for MacOS 

• Platnumk said:

3Don said:

High Serria is the last version that supports nvidia gfx cards as support was removed by apple after that & won't allow nvidia to make drivers for MacOS 

Depending upon what happens over the next few months I may get a PC to run as an iray server, or maybe (hopefully?) Octane could be available as a plugin (after DAZ updates to support the latest MacOS). 

3Don said:

Hi, my reply was in "Draft", do know why it never was posted

10.13.6 is the last macOS with is supported by nVidia drivers. From 10.14, there are no drivers for nVidia cards any more.

• leemoon_c43b45a114leemoon_c43b45a114 Posts: 825
    edited March 2021

I haven't had a Mac that could perform GPU accelerated Iray renders.  I'm currently doing CPU only rendering on a 2020 Intel i9 16" MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina.  I suppose I could have used an eGPU if there were macOS Catalina versions of the needed Nvidia drivers.  I'm also unsure of what would be needed if an eGPU is feasible.

I did consider getting a PC for running DAZ Studio, but elected to stay with my Macs.  I've also been a Mac user since the PowerBook 100 (1991) and really have no desire to switch to Windows, though I have been proficient with PCs during my career.  DAZ Studio is currently the only app that I use that doesn't run on macOS Big Sur and/or Apple Silicon.  I expect DAZ to remedy this in a few months.

As far as GPU/Nvidia accelerated rendering goes, I'm enjoying the faster CPU only rendering since moving from older dual core Macs to an 8 core i9.  For me, rendering is coming in at about 7 to 10 times faster than before.  Certainly not on par with GPU assisted renders, but a sufficiently fast improvement to keep me happy for now.  I'm still using DS 4.12.0.86 on both a Mac mini and the previously mentioned MacBook Pro.  It's very stable and does all that I ask of it.  My plan is to jump to the upcoming version of DS that's Big Sur/Apple Silicon compatible.  In addition to the MacBook Pro (and Mac mini), I have an M1 MacBook Air that I'd like to try that future version of DS on.  If that works well, I'll be getting a more powerful Apple Silicon Mac later in the year.

Sorry I couldn't provide the answer(s) you were looking for, 3Don.  I vaguely recall reading in the forums what you've mentioned regarding High Sierra and the Nvidia drivers.  I don't recall the last version of DS that can use the last macOS Nvidia driver.

I hope you find definitive answers soon.

Lee

*EDIT* - It took a while to enter this message - I've been watching "Hidden Figures" on TV and turned my attention to the forums during commercials.  I see where others have already jumped in with their replies.

Post edited by leemoon_c43b45a114 on

Thanx so much for your informative replies! There is a lot here to read & digest. And then I will certainly have a few more questions. So, please stand by...

See attched, the 1st Mac I worked on. Look at those specs!

I'll be back.

BubbaMac1.jpg
    686 x 713 - 184K

3Don said:

Thanx so much for your informative replies! There is a lot here to read & digest. And then I will certainly have a few more questions. So, please stand by...

See attched, the 1st Mac I worked on. Look at those specs!

I'll be back.

An IIfx, nice, with the black SCSI terminator that was due to some decisions made my the hardware design guru at Apple, Frank Casanova, that Apple regretted doing ever since. 
    I had a MacII upgaded to IIfx, and my boss bought 5 upgrade sets and we only had 4 machines to Upgrade, but he knew I had gotten a MacII at home that I had got from a little moonlighting project he had put me on to, so I got the IIfx even at home.

First Mac I used was the "Lisa" really as a friend in school translated the Lisa to Swedish back in 82. Then a Mac128k as another classmate's dad was head of Apple Europe 81-83 -ish (while Apple built the campus at Infinite Loop 1).
     Nuff' Apple trivia for a day ;)

3Don said:

I am trying to find out which Mac OS will run on my iMac (late 2013, OS 10.10.3) & run Nvidia renders. Presently I run DS 4.9.4.122. From responses I hear that Hi Sierra is the last OS to run Nvidia before Apple pulled the plug on that graphics card. I can get some Iray renders with what I have, but many are problematic depending on which compatible Iray lights I use. I can get a used Mac that will run Hi Sierra & supposedly render Iray. But I don't know which version of DS will work on HS.
    Even if that is possible, the problem I have is getting that version of DS. I have queried Daz about getting an older DS version, but was told that older versions are not available. What? It's a piece of software & exists somewhere at Daz. Mostly Daz recommends getting a new PC to run DS & Iray. After 30 years as a Mac user, a new Windows machine & OS is more expense, with a big learning curve, than I want to deal with.
    Can anyone confirm Hi Sierra is the last Nvidia graphics card OS & which version of DS is compatible? I sthere another source for getting an older version of DS?

I'm on a mid-2014 MB Pro running Catalina and an onboard Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB graphics card, and I can run Daz Studio 4.15.0.2 fairly well with little to no issue. I save early, I save often, and can manage a lot of low- to moderate- asset renders without much problem. I find that my renders go more easily if I run them in monochrome, but color work comes out fine as well. I keep my assets on the low end in terms of numbers and complexity simply because I don't want to overheat my laptop, but I've done some fairly complex renders during my time with this machine. Things were definitely better when I was using 3Delight, but I've made some good stuff using this machine and iRay.

Chronopunk said:

3Don said:

I'm on a mid-2014 MB Pro running Catalina and an onboard Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB graphics card, and I can run Daz Studio 4.15.0.2 fairly well with little to no issue. I save early, I save often, and can manage a lot of low- to moderate- asset renders without much problem. I find that my renders go more easily if I run them in monochrome, but color work comes out fine as well. I keep my assets on the low end in terms of numbers and complexity simply because I don't want to overheat my laptop, but I've done some fairly complex renders during my time with this machine. Things were definitely better when I was using 3Delight, but I've made some good stuff using this machine and iRay.

Yes, but with no GPU accelation, that's the point. The render time difference for same scene, with or without GPU accelation is huge. 
    What takes an1 hour using CPU only renders in minutes with GPU acceleration.

Totte said:

Chronopunk said:

3Don said:

Yes, but with no GPU accelation, that's the point. The render time difference for same scene, with or without GPU accelation is huge. 

Then I misunderstood the nature of the question, and I apologize. I was commenting on the ability to use Daz under an OS beyond High Sierra. My mistake, sorry!

Speaking of non-HS OS, however, I'm back on some issues with DIM, I fear. You're the resident expert on this one, Totte, so I should ask you here, I wager.

So I got the new machine set up, I've verified that all of my network settings are correct, both machines can see each other and communicate normally across the network, and I have verified that all network issues are resolved.

However! (There is always a however)

I have DIM on the new machine pointing at (Network/Macbook Pro/My Daz 3D Library), I click the refresh icon, and I see... Nothing.

I would expect to see the contents of the directory and be able to retrieve them, but... Nothing.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I going to have to download everything from Daz and Rendo again? Gods I hope not.

edited March 2021

Chronopunk said:

Totte said:

Chronopunk said:

3Don said:

Then I misunderstood the nature of the question, and I apologize. I was commenting on the ability to use Daz under an OS beyond High Sierra. My mistake, sorry!

Speaking of non-HS OS, however, I'm back on some issues with DIM, I fear. You're the resident expert on this one, Totte, so I should ask you here, I wager.

So I got the new machine set up, I've verified that all of my network settings are correct, both machines can see each other and communicate normally across the network, and I have verified that all network issues are resolved.

I have DIM on the new machine pointing at (Network/Macbook Pro/My Daz 3D Library), I click the refresh icon, and I see... Nothing.

I would expect to see the contents of the directory and be able to retrieve them, but... Nothing.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I going to have to download everything from Daz and Rendo again? Gods I hope not.

The problem is probably that the CMS/Postgres is not accessible from machine 1 to machine 2, which is not, it only accepts local 127.0.0.1 accesses in default setup.
    Than can be fiddled with, but not recommended unless you know how.

My setup is two machines, both with their own content library and their own cms, but my DIM download directory is on another disk on one of the machines, so I only download once and install twice. 

Post edited by Totte on

Totte said:

Chronopunk said:

The problem is probably that the CMS/Postgres is not accessible from machine 1 to machine 2, which is not, it only accepts local 127.0.0.1 accesses in default setup.

My setup is two machines, both with their own content library and their own cms, but my DIM download directory is on another disk on one of the machines, so I only download once and install twice. 

Hmmm. That's vexing.

I don't suppose there'd be a major issue with me simply copying the files out of my Laptop's Daz 3D Library folder and dropping them directly into the Desktop's associated directories, would there? I don't have any scripts or software that are OS-specific, and the last time I checked, .duf and other files are platform independent, so they should work, yeah?

If DIM won't do the network transfer, the old fashioned way may be best.

Chronopunk said:

Totte said:

Chronopunk said:

Hmmm. That's vexing.

I don't suppose there'd be a major issue with me simply copying the files out of my Laptop's Daz 3D Library folder and dropping them directly into the Desktop's associated directories, would there? I don't have any scripts or software that are OS-specific, and the last time I checked, .duf and other files are platform independent, so they should work, yeah?

The problem is the CMS, as it points to every item by a full path and when you move stuff that breaks. If you only render on the "other machine" that wont be an issue, but if you rely on CMS functioning this will be an issue.

Totte said:

Chronopunk said:

Totte said:

Chronopunk said:

Hmmm. That's vexing.

The problem is the CMS, as it points to every item by a full path and when you move stuff that breaks. If you only render on the "other machine" that wont be an issue, but if you rely on CMS functioning this will be an issue.

Hm.

Daz has never been opened on the new machine, so all that CMS has to work with right now is the basiscs that have already been installed.

I suppose I could suffer the download of all of my stuff from DAZ to get things where the application wants them to be, then manually copy all of my remaining content across the network, yeah? Things like custom skin mats and character shapes that currently live only on the laptop? Once CMS has its basic understanding of the "things that come from the mothership" it should be fine with the rest, shouldn't it?

Chronopunk said:

Totte said:

Chronopunk said:

Totte said:

Chronopunk said:

Hmmm. That's vexing.

Hm.

Daz has never been opened on the new machine, so all that CMS has to work with right now is the basiscs that have already been installed.

I suppose I could suffer the download of all of my stuff from DAZ to get things where the application wants them to be, then manually copy all of my remaining content across the network, yeah? Things like custom skin mats and character shapes that currently live only on the laptop? Once CMS has its basic understanding of the "things that come from the mothership" it should be fine with the rest, shouldn't it?

Everytime you install something on machine one and copy to machine two, CMS will be tricked and stuff might go wrong if you try to work on machine two with a scene. 

Totte said:

Chronopunk said:

Totte said:

Chronopunk said:

Totte said:

Chronopunk said:

Hmmm. That's vexing.

Hm.

Everytime you install something on machine one and copy to machine two, CMS will be tricked and stuff might go wrong if you try to work on machine two with a scene. 

My current plan is to work on Daz, Blender, etc, solely on Machine Two going forward. Machine One is going back to its original role of writing novels & rpg's, page layout, graphic design, and the like. I have no plans to install anything on Machine One once Machine Two is set up and running.

If I install all my available Daz store downloads via DIM, then manually copy everything else, except, say, the scenes I've worked on recently (which are little more than single figures in empty space while I continue to fiddle with lighting experimentation), that should work, shouldn't it? Unless I'm missing something very obvious that just keeps going over my head?

• Totte said:

Chronopunk said:

Totte said:

Chronopunk said:

Hmmm. That's vexing.

As far as I am aware the CMS uses relative paths, it's only the DIM/Central manifests that use absolute paths (and content that isn't in a content directory).

edited March 2021

Well, what if, along with copying the full DAZ library from one machine to another, you also copied from the ~/Library/Applicaiton Support, the DAZ3D folder, containing cms (see screen shot); would that  take care of the issue? There's also a similar folder in the Mac HD Library (not the System Library). (Again, see another screen shot.) In other words, what I'm wondering is if it is possible to copy over not only your full DAZ library, but other support library folders, and if such copying would solve the issue. Would that take care of it? (I basically know nothing about this stuff, so I'm just trying to understand and to educate myself. If what I'm saying betrays massive ignorance, please be kind with me.)

First attachment, on the left, is from the ~/Library; Second Attachment, a bit more to the right, is from the Mac HD Library.

users library.png
    235 x 76 - 10K
    Mac Library.png
    247 x 79 - 9K
    Post edited by inquire on

Richard Haseltine said:

Totte said:

Chronopunk said:

Totte said:

Chronopunk said:

Hmmm. That's vexing.

As far as I am aware the CMS uses relative paths, it's only the DIM/Central manifests that use absolute paths (and content that isn't in a content directory).

It was couple of years ago I tried to do this but on machine A the path was /Volumes/DAZBoot/  on machine it was /Volumes/DAZBoot/DAZContent/ and CMS failed to find anything so I cleared the the db and reimported metadata at it was up and running, maybe it was something else..