Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Realism... as Mark made mention of it... can sometimes come from degrading your image - as opposed to improving it... DOF for example, is such an effect, Bryce can have everything in focus, however, adding DOF - an image degrading effect - can actually make scenes look more realistic. How curious?

Here's a new tutorial for you to enjoy/endure - delete as appropriate.

Bryce Depth of Field effect - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

B7_1_0_109_p32_s1_v1_dof_eg2.jpg
    750 x 487 - 429K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited December 1969

I love doing landscapes and David’s tuts are great. Here’s my attempt based partly on his desert tut. Thanks David.

I tried to use the Winters day Distant Mount material. The snow was not on the peaks but on the slopes. I’m still finding my way around Bryce and for now the dte looks too complicated.

Two versions and in both I used the Good feeling preset sky but changed the colors of the haze etc, in the second one. I also added an extra mountain in the second.

@ Dave Savage both your landscapes are awesome.

desertex-david.jpg
    720 x 540 - 50K
    desert01.jpg
    750 x 563 - 52K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - this looks quite nice. What's wrong with no snow on the peaks? Snow is on the slopes that are not too steep to hold on. The snow on your mountain looks natural.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited August 2012

Realism... as Mark made mention of it... can sometimes come from degrading your image - as opposed to improving it... DOF for example, is such an effect, Bryce can have everything in focus, however, adding DOF - an image degrading effect - can actually make scenes look more realistic. How curious?

Well I just watched this video and I must say David that I'm impressed. There's still the issue of how you speak and how quickly you can fly thru Bryce but this tutorial was pretty followable if you just watch it rather then try to follow along in Bryce. What really impressed me though was it really covered more then just DOF if one paid close attention, as well as DOF it touched on how to get things for use from other scenes and I really like how you worked with stuff you've set up on Bryce Tutorials Info so that people could actually follow along with the exact same things and replicate your results. It also touched base on different stratagies for optimizing settings in Bryce even based on whatever else you might be doing with your machine. I also really liked the tip of the targeting sphere, simple but effective. You're really starting to turn tutorials into an artform. :)

Also, I'm wondering something. I noticed that one of the spider thingies ended up with the tip of one of his legs in what appears to be a hole or a chip in one of the stones. Did you notice that spot as you were going thru those test renders towards the end and that's why you adjusted it's position all while carrying on this lesson? If so it's impressive to me because most would be so preoccupied with giving the lesson they'd have a hard time making such assessments and adjustments simultaneously. It's like you've found a LLA for the brain that the rest of us don't have :)

Something else the rest of us don't all have is an 8 core machine. Unfortunately mine is a lowly 2 core machine. Anyway I'm giving DOF a go on the mech scene but for my machine it says it'll be an hour which usually means well over an hour, more like 2 or 3 as opposed to the 10 minute render that took closer to 40 minutes that it normally is. I'm also going to give TA a try and with that on it'll almost certainly take even longer but when done I'll share the results here

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

@David Brinnen your bugs are very realistic, I am still investigating the file saga, i have checked out the archives it has been some help

@ @mermaid010 I love the second image very much the first has great atmosphere in the sky

• SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

changing tide

changing_tide.jpg
    1536 x 1024 - 791K
    edited December 1969

It is good to see all these Bryce renders, particularly those of you getting out of your "safety zones" and attempting the tutorials!

OK I've added this one in for the DOF, so that those of you who are not fortunate enough to be working with the most up to date hardware, but have access to a paint package, can still achieve a high quality DOF effect. This video leads on directly from the last and is my latest idea about how to work around getting DOF on a slow computer. I think it works pretty well and... is better than my previous half a dozen idea's by a long chalk. So as if that is any kind of endorsement, here's the video...

Bryce Depth of Field effect - for less powerful computers - a video tutorial by David Brinnen

edited August 2012

Well I'm still working on the other one but instead of doing just DOF first I did DOF with TA since that would take the longest. From what I can tell though the DOF doesn't do much because it's not a good angle for a DOF shot. Besides the scene kind of naturally gives you a subtle DOF effect with the haze in the scene making the further Mechs appear less in focus. Anyway here it is with TA and DOF but aside from it not making things much different I also go a bunch of black specks which I've seen David mention before but I'm not sure how to get rid of them.

Well I guess I do know how to get rid of them, reduce the resolution because now that I made the picture conform to form specs I don't see the black specks.

A.M_.S_._RT-05_Mech_DOF_TA_.jpg
    800 x 446 - 127K
    edited December 1969

The black specks... If they appear in a TA render this is because somewhere in your scene you have got some problematic mesh collision that has created a "black hole" when the TA light gathering render method finds this black hole it pulls the black out into your scene. It can be hard to find if you are dealing with a complex scene.

edited December 1969

That's another fine render Silverdali, that's one of the nicest attempts at waves I've seen in a bryce render.

edited August 2012

The black specks... If they appear in a TA render this is because somewhere in your scene you have got some problematic mesh collision that has created a "black hole" when the TA light gathering render method finds this black hole it pulls the black out into your scene. It can be hard to find if you are dealing with a complex scene.

Well the time before when you mentioned this it was in a thread where me and dan whiteside were discussing problems this item used to have importing into Bryce. He had posted a picture to show the problem and it had those specks. You chimed in to ask if that was from TA to which he replied it was. The Mech was the only thing in the picture so since it was there and now here I'll assume it's a defect in the Mech especially since the only thing else in the sceen is a ground terrain and a couple of radial lights.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Ooh Bryce has black holes? Are there any of them Higgs Bison hiding in them. And I want the Skype animated giggle smilie to add here.
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Ooh Bryce has black holes? Are there any of them Higgs Bison hiding in them. And I want the Skype animated giggle smilie to add here.

You know what's great about Higgs Bison? When you eat a steak from one it tells you how full you're going to be. :)

edited December 1969

Well the time before when you mentioned this it was in a thread where me and dan whiteside were discussing problems this item used to have importing into Bryce. He had posted a picture to show the problem and it had those specks. You chimed in to ask if that was from TA to which he replied it was. The Mech was the only thing in the picture so since it was there and now here I'll assume it's a defect in the Mech especially since the only thing else in the sceen is a ground terrain and a couple of radial lights.

That sounds logical. OK well you can test this by removing bits of the model and finding out what is the source of the issue. I would speculate the most likely candidate is any transparent material, so for example, the cockpit hood. Delete and just render enough to determine if the spots vanish, then drill down there through the model. Once you have found the offending article, try modifying the material or moving it every so slightly and see if you can disrupt the black hole. If you like doing this kind of investigation, you could consider putting yourself forwards for the beta test team - should they be called upon.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

You know what's great about Higgs Bison? When you eat a steak from one it tells you how full you're going to be. :)

That sounds like good idea, and as they seem more certain than ever that they have found some of them, maybe they can extract some genes or something and make normal cattle have the same properties, I can just imagine going to Macdonalds and having your beefburger tell you that your only need one,

edited December 1969

Well I just watched this video and I must say David that I'm impressed. There's still the issue of how you speak and how quickly you can fly thru Bryce but this tutorial was pretty followable if you just watch it rather then try to follow along in Bryce. What really impressed me though was it really covered more then just DOF if one paid close attention, as well as DOF it touched on how to get things for use from other scenes and I really like how you worked with stuff you've set up on Bryce Tutorials Info so that people could actually follow along with the exact same things and replicate your results. It also touched base on different stratagies for optimizing settings in Bryce even based on whatever else you might be doing with your machine. I also really liked the tip of the targeting sphere, simple but effective. You're really starting to turn tutorials into an artform. :)

Also, I'm wondering something. I noticed that one of the spider thingies ended up with the tip of one of his legs in what appears to be a hole or a chip in one of the stones. Did you notice that spot as you were going thru those test renders towards the end and that's why you adjusted it's position all while carrying on this lesson? If so it's impressive to me because most would be so preoccupied with giving the lesson they'd have a hard time making such assessments and adjustments simultaneously. It's like you've found a LLA for the brain that the rest of us don't have :)

Something else the rest of us don't all have is an 8 core machine. Unfortunately mine is a lowly 2 core machine. Anyway I'm giving DOF a go on the mech scene but for my machine it says it'll be an hour which usually means well over an hour, more like 2 or 3 as opposed to the 10 minute render that took closer to 40 minutes that it normally is. I'm also going to give TA a try and with that on it'll almost certainly take even longer but when done I'll share the results here

Thank you Mark,

OK well since you have shown an interest in the process I will give you an insight into the workflow for the tutorials. First off, I have an idea for a subject. Then I imagine a scene with very few elements in it that is still capable of helping me explain my subject. Then I make four or five scenes as quick as I can, the aim being to reduce the number of steps to the core essentials. Then I have a fish through Horo and mines published content. This being stuff that has a lot of things already set up - I want to explain the topic not get diverted into other topics - while at the same time end up with a nice render for the promo image.

Now I fire up Camtasia studio and start the recording runs. The most important element about these tutorials is that I complete them from start to finish with the minimum of editing. I want to show what is genuinely possible to achieve in the time given - it is very tempting to "cheat", in other words, stop the video and fine tune a scene, but I feel that is very much against the spirit of what I want.

After a few runs through, I have a better idea in my head about what are the sticking points, as you observed, the feet of the spider things was a bit tricky - but at the same time, I didn't want to waste time moving the spider and loose time for explaining the core of the tutorial.

Structurally, I try to get the theory out of the way first on the stripped down scene then put that into practice in a scene with some pre-made components. Given the number of people who have yet to discover their free content, I wanted to include that too and also so that those who are not in a position to purchase our content have an opportunity to save themselves some labour. The aim all told is to raise awareness of the potential of Bryce 7.1 Pro - given that many of the features covered are still as yet undocumented by anyone other than Horo and myself.

In respect to processing power, I hope you noticed I made an addition to my DOF tutorial?

Bryce Depth of Field effect - for less powerful computers - a video tutorial by David Brinnen

• beas62beas62 Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

David, Another great tutorial - very informative. I for one sincerely appreciate your efforts. It really enhances the artistic experience for the rest of us by not having to muddle through it alone. Cheers, Jerry

edited December 1969

Thank you Mark,

OK well since you have shown an interest in the process I will give you an insight into the workflow for the tutorials. First off, I have an idea for a subject. Then I imagine a scene with very few elements in it that is still capable of helping me explain my subject. Then I make four or five scenes as quick as I can, the aim being to reduce the number of steps to the core essentials. Then I have a fish through Horo and mines published content. This being stuff that has a lot of things already set up - I want to explain the topic not get diverted into other topics - while at the same time end up with a nice render for the promo image.

Now I fire up Camtasia studio and start the recording runs. The most important element about these tutorials is that I complete them from start to finish with the minimum of editing. I want to show what is genuinely possible to achieve in the time given - it is very tempting to "cheat", in other words, stop the video and fine tune a scene, but I feel that is very much against the spirit of what I want.

After a few runs through, I have a better idea in my head about what are the sticking points, as you observed, the feet of the spider things was a bit tricky - but at the same time, I didn't want to waste time moving the spider and loose time for explaining the core of the tutorial.

Structurally, I try to get the theory out of the way first on the stripped down scene then put that into practice in a scene with some pre-made components. Given the number of people who have yet to discover their free content, I wanted to include that too and also so that those who are not in a position to purchase our content have an opportunity to save themselves some labour. The aim all told is to raise awareness of the potential of Bryce 7.1 Pro - given that many of the features covered are still as yet undocumented by anyone other than Horo and myself.

In respect to processing power, I hope you noticed I made an addition to my DOF tutorial?

Yes I did notice the addition to the DOF tutorial but so far rendering it wasn't so long I felt frustrated so my little two corer seems to be holding up fine. So I didn't feel a need for the workaround. Besides I'm more interested right now in learning about Bryce then I am in learning to make my pictures nicer. Ideally I'll accomplish both with your tutorials but if it had to be one or the other I'd choose learning more about Bryce. Besides, as cheap as computer parts have been and continue to be, it won't be long before everyone does have an 8 core machine. Of course by then you guys with 8 cores now will be many times beyond that.

Thanks for the explaination I wasn't so much interested in the workflow as much as I'm impressed by what you've accomplished and how quickly you turn out such polished results. I know you're a very modest and humble guy but I'm thinking you got quite the brain keeping your ears apart. I'd be willing to bet your IQ is above 160.

edited December 1969

160? Really, I doubt it.

But on the topic of tutorials the additional tutorial uses exactly the same set-up as the first, but it goes on to use even more Bryce features to reduce the render time. So in a way it is even more "Brycey" - if such a word could be brought into existence? The only drawback is that you also need to be able to use a paint package, as it uses both Bryce DOF and Bryce distance masking combined with a sharp image of what you are rendering to create your final image. So a paint package or as Horo suggests HDRshop - since it is a matter of masking and filtering rather than "painting" as such.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo, I appreciate your comment.

Silverdali - I love your latest river scene,

David thanks for all the tuts. There are some awesome ones at http://www.bryce-tutorials.info. These will keep me busy for many moons.

• DarkRiderDLMCDarkRiderDLMC Posts: 561
    edited December 1969

Fun using a friend's model.

grannies.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 798K
    edited December 1969

Nice render. I like the building, is that your friends model ?

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Nice render. I like the building, is that your friends model ?

I should have said "Models" the building, the docks, the closer terrain and all three boats are her work. one of the boats is available as a freebie on rendo and sharecg. Her work is always seriously detailed and usually comes as both obj and obp. I buy from her when I can afford to, sometimes I pretest models for her presale. For someone I've never met, I consider her a better friend than some I have :-) Her rendo shop URL is: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=221135 If you visit it, prepare to smile.
    edited December 1969

Another render of Rayvns' models

rayvnsb.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    edited December 1969

You are wicked, :roll: My wish list has just grown. I love the Pub. :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    You are wicked, :roll: My wish list has just grown. I love the Pub. :coolsmirk:

Isn't she incredible? Before the accident, I could think in 3D, which made drawing my own stuff both easy and profitable. Now, I have to use others work in my renders, but with the plethora of great obp and obj stuff out there it's not really such a bummer. There's some fine Bryce item's here too, I just wait on sales and scarf it up :-)
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited August 2012

Having spent the best part of this week trying to achieve a more realistic Bryce render, today I've gone the other way completely and tried to get a more Comic Book (Graphic Novel) type of render.

Headlights.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 257K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited August 2012

Having spent the best part of this week trying to achieve a more realistic Bryce render, today I've gone the other way completely and tried to get a more Comic Book (Graphic Novel) type of render.

Ooh, that car looks quite ferocious

and don't tell me it doesn't have a face, it has an evil look about it.
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

It's the Fedoraville Hearse. Click here for Fedoraville Hearse :-)

• beas62beas62 Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Another render of Rayvns' models

Oh wow. Gorgeous color in the sky and reflection. Looks great.

This discussion has been closed.