--August Carrara Monthly Challenge: SIZE MATTERS!-- WIP thread

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Very nice work Philemo! The lighting looks really good.

Stezza, are you twisting my challenge theme into an off color joke about the contents of a prehistoric banana hammock?!? Well then. rock on! :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Been experimenting with scale and camera angles a bit. The pose on Kong will not stay the same, but I think the scale will. I still need to add the T-Rex and fix the vines so they don't hide Ann so much. I'm hoping a few shuffles of the replicator will help. I may also go for a wider aspect for the image.

kong_sample01.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 418K
  • ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    These are two items I created for the challenge..

a prehistoric magnifying glass and a prehistoric palm thingy...

neither of which have ever been discovered by modern man!

making use of Genesis ... this is the rendered image before composition of my previous WiPs

Hahaha....The winning image. :)

edited December 1969

Sorry I was MIA yesterday. I had made some substantial progress on my scene when I had a couple free hours. My time with Carrara has been pretty limited the last five or six days due to family visiting from the extremely bland state of Nebraska. Anyway, I practiced the cardinal sin of any creative software, and that was not saving my work because I was on a creative hot streak, and I somehow put Carrara in Zombie mode before I thought to save my progress. Two hours of work lost! Talk about sick to my stomach!

Anyway, I'll try and recreate what I did yesterday as much as I can. I may have to do it later in the week as I'm friggin' pooped!

edited July 2014

Here's the latest. I recreated most of what I did yesterday.

I think I'm going to age the final render in PS, so I'll convert it to black and white or sepia. The trick is to make sure that there is enough contrast between the figures and the background so as to avoid a muddy look.

kong_sample02.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 537K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I think I'm going to age the final render in PS, so I'll convert it to black and white or sepia. The trick is to make sure that there is enough contrast between the figures and the background so as to avoid a muddy look.

That's cool, looking good.
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone,
    I've completed my scene with a lot of troubles...the last week-end was terrible and when I started to render Carrara gave me a lot of errors and the pc was in crash. For this reason the resolution of my renders is not very good. Anyway, I added some characters (V4 male morph) to complete the scene titled “World Creators”, some of them all around and some pushing a new world into the universe hole . Hope you enjoy it!

Final2.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 2M
    Final1.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 2M
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

Wonderful scene Pimpy, lots of atmosphere and drama! Congrats :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

Love the composition, you've captured everything In a nutshell.

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Wonderful scene Pimpy, lots of atmosphere and drama! Congrats :)

Thank you!:)

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Wow! Great work Pimpy, fantastic scene!

EP- Some great action there - as well as hair, shaders, etc.

I'm just glad my project was pretty much done before seeing the last round of wips, otherwise I might find it very difficult to complete to compete! You all have much better imaginations than I do.

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

Intriguing theme this one, such a great variation of ideas being presented. Pimpy your scene is really amazing and even gave me a touch of vertigo looking into that hole. Evilproducer your gorilla fur is so splendid - and thanks v much for sharing it with us . Diomede64 your ship n bottle scene development has been fascinating and just keeps getting cuter. Its going to be so nice. I find Mhossack's close-up dragon really impressive - even made the hair on the back of my neck stand up! Dustrider's girl in Jar almost has ultra-realism nailed. Maybe some subtle lighting inside the jar will increase the focus and interest on the characters within, which are getting a tad neglected visually due to the bright (but nice) background light and (lovely) reflections on the jar. Im looking forward to seeing further WIP on the more epic city scenes under development by others too. Hope I can find time to contribute Something this time round.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

Wow. Some very nice work going on in here... Everyone!

Pimpy... Geeeze is that ever an incredible concept, and you're pulling it off, very nicely! No surprise there - I enjoy all of your work!
    evilproducer, Oh Yeah! Kong Rocks!!!!
    Kashyk, Stezza, Philemo, and the rest of you... Rock On!!!
    I hope to be joining in the fun soon... we'll see f time allows :ahhh:

edited December 1969

I hope to be joining in the fun soon... we'll see f time allows :ahhh:

Can't wait!

edited December 1969

Thank you very much to everyone :red:

edited August 2014

Ugh! I was able to get on-line yesterday long enough to post my latest WIP, but that was about it besides checking out a couple other threads. It's been a busy week for me. It has been busy here as well, judging by the very nice comments and the latest WIPs!

Very nice work Pimpy!

Dustrider, I don't think you have anything to worry about in the imagination department!

Just a reminder that I'm going to open the challenge entry thread at some point tomorrow. Saturday in the U.S. I can't say for sure when it will be, as my day is filling up quickly with unplanned and time consuming chores.

I also wanted to emphasize that even though the entry thread will be open, if you want to participate but haven't started yet, you still have time! The entry period will be two weeks and you can submit your WIPs here at any point in that two week window. Just don't forget to put your entry in the entry thread before the deadline!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

A town in a drop.
    Not much time to take part, but something of quickly done… It's better than nothing, it isn't ? :-)
    One pass only but the blur is the same everywhere in Carrara who don't take account of the distance.
    Postwork ? Perhaps this time exceptionally…

Goutte.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    edited December 1969

The camera is so close to the subject which I work like a blind man (and I uses a zoom)!
    Is there a solution with this problem?

Capture.JPG
    1021 x 769 - 110K
    edited December 1969

Here is my micro sized WIP-

js-6.jpg
    685 x 624 - 128K
    js-5.jpg
    659 x 590 - 40K
    js-3.jpg
    767 x 557 - 58K
    js-2.jpg
    1008 x 748 - 106K
    js-1.jpg
    986 x 625 - 79K
    edited December 1969

@ E.P I like your gorilla and I'm waiting for the full scene.

@ Dudu . Good idea and yes, I think the camera is too close to the sunject. so you can try to duplicate the camera and move back it until you see the full scene. Of course the render will be done with the close camera. In this way I think you can see...

edited December 1969

Hey all, I just wanted to let you know that I finally had the time to open the submission thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44589/

edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Here is my micro sized WIP-

Why do I have the feeling this one is going to be a creepy crawly? Looks like you're off to a great start on this one.

edited August 2014

The camera is so close to the subject which I work like a blind man (and I uses a zoom)!
    Is there a solution with this problem?

Hi DUDU. Pimpy's suggestion is a good one. You may also be able to adjust the clipping that you're seeing by reducing the Camera's Distance to Near Plane control. Please see the screen captures.

I placed a sphere primitive in the Medium scaled scene and moved my camera extremely close to it until the sphere started getting clipped.

To solve it, I selected my camera and reduced the Distance to Near Plane by half as a starting point. You may need to adjust it lower depending on your scene.

Picture_6.png
    1246 x 775 - 169K
    Picture_5.png
    1247 x 748 - 150K
    edited December 1969

I think this will be my final wip post.

Unfortunately, the way Carrara handles DOF, even though the glass display cover that is mostly transparent, can be a bit of a pain. When processing DOF, Carrara treats the clear glass as a surface that should be blurred. As a result, everything inside the display glass gets DOF blur (grrrrrrrr).

To rectify this I had to post process (composite) the render. I did one render with DOF, one without, then clipped out the areas that shouldn't have blur in the no DOF version, and pasted then into the DOF version. Below are smaller versions of the two original images before composting them together.

Doc79noblur.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 304K
    Doc77blur.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 260K
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:

Unfortunately, the way Carrara handles DOF, even though the glass display cover that is mostly transparent, can be a bit of a pain. When processing DOF, Carrara treats the clear glass as a surface that should be blurred. As a result, everything inside the display glass gets DOF blur (grrrrrrrr).

To rectify this I had to post process (composite) the render. I did one render with DOF, one without, then clipped out the areas that shouldn't have blur in the no DOF version, and pasted then into the DOF version. Below are smaller versions of the two original images before composting them together.

You should see how it doesn't see dynamic hair. ;-) Actually it may have worked if you had chosen raytraced DOF, but the time hit would probably been prohibitive. As it stands, that looks really good!

edited December 1969

That is a great entry dustrider. It may sound strange, but I think the work I'm most impressed with is the wood shader you have on the base. The rest is impressive to be sure, but I really like the look you achieved.

edited December 1969

dustrider said:

You should see how it doesn't see dynamic hair. ;-) Actually it may have worked if you had chosen raytraced DOF, but the time hit would probably been prohibitive. As it stands, that looks really good!

I thought of that, but not for long, if I used ray traced dof I would have also had to use blurry reflections on the glass. Using blurry reflections in testing on smaller renders almost tripled render times, add to that the additional hit of ray traced reflections and the render would have easily taken ..... days. As it was, with moderate settings, each render took about 4 hours, which is a great time, but raytraced dof is soooo slow Yep, I've definitely been spoiled by Octane - the same scene with ray traced DOF (only option) and blurry reflections could have easily been rendered in 4 hours or less.

edited December 1969

That is a great entry dustrider. It may sound strange, but I think the work I'm most impressed with is the wood shader you have on the base. The rest is impressive to be sure, but I really like the look you achieved.

Thanks!!!
    LOL - That's actually one of my favorite parts too.
    edited December 1969

Hi pimpy, your solution is interesting, I tested it and it is well, I link the second camera to the first if there would be a modification of pano.
    EP, still a trick which I didn't know !
    Still a proof that Carrara was well conceived and by holding account of the experiment of the users.
    Thank you to both !

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Alas, time is conspiring against me once more. I'll have to bow out. I may revisit my idea in a non-contest environment. ;-)

I only had the one (extremely vague) WIP. It was to become a land/water terrain being held in M4's cupped hands while V4 looked over it from above. Flipping the roles of small versus large.

C'est la vie!

Really nice work so far everyone! I look forward to voting.