(Released!) Vellus Horizon Shader System USER GUIDE IN COMMENTS

Comments

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited February 2021

I have tried that, but for some reason it does not look like it works for me. and I've put the whole geoshell to the base female UV.

*reads again* Though I admit, I have set the UV before applying the shader not the other way around. Going to try that and see how that works :)

Edit - very interesting, doing it in the opposite order than I used to before it ended up working. *shake head* Oh well, it works now atleast and that's the important thing.

Simple Portrait, was supposed to just be a test to see if I got it to work and it became this in the end lol

Post edited by Carola O on
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

Those Things said:

Leonides02 said:

I see folks are doing a workaround to get this working on 8.1, but is an update planned?

Honestly, I'm not sure. Right now, it seems to be as simple as flipping the UV switch on the geoshell so it says "Base Female" instead of "Base 8.1 Female". 

Since 8.1 is the future, don't you want your product to be easily useable for all the fancy new figures coming out? laugh

I imagine relatively few DAZ users visit the forums, so they may think the product simply won't work on 8.1.

I haven't tried it out yet myself to see how easy the switch is. 

• Another one with G8.1 and that fantastic product:

Link to gallery image

• Beautiful work, everyone! Love seeing these renders!

• Those Things said:

Beautiful work, everyone! Love seeing these renders!

Love to use this product wink

• ThyranqThyranq Posts: 584

I second that, Lothar Weber - these are a must have for any kind of closeup!

PandoraPortrait.png
    1067 x 1600 - 2M
  • Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,113

Thyranq said:

Ooooh, that is stunning. 

• ThyranqThyranq Posts: 584

Those Things said:

Thyranq said:

Ooooh, that is stunning. 

Thanks!  

• Great product - thought I would do a render as well. Hope you like it.

Love the effect - as others have said - subtle but noticeable.

David

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    edited March 2021

Was trying out a newly purchased body hair product from Rendo and added some vellus.

Post edited by Sevrin on

Love, love, love, seeing these renders. Beautiful work, folks. 

• cajhincajhin Posts: 154

Bought it today, and I'm happy I did, because now my renders (can) look better, with little effort.

As was said, it is subtle, which is good, and to me it's less about seeing hair, and more about fuzzing the hyper-sharp line between bright and dark bodies. Also a nice sheen on nosetip and the like.

Test render attached, just experimenting with high contrast light, a new figure, 8.1 and PBRSkin.

Notes
    (not at all meant in a negative way, just my thoughts while I was using it)
    - I bought it only because of this thread. (and by the way stumbled across the Embrace Poses. Those look really good / natural. Got it).
    - future me (with the lousy memory) could need a dummy icon in the library with the magic words "Create Geoshell First" (applied vellus on the body first, aargh, not a pretty sight :)
    - How do you adjust the *length* of the vellus in the Surface tab?
    - 8.1: putting it on the face is straight forward, but I probably won't do it for full body shots. Too much fiddling around to fix the Body/Head surfaces (flipping the 'uv switch' left the surfaces white with nothing applied to them). Seems to me 30 steps, lots of trial and error, 20 minutes? Would really appreciate it if there was a "8.1 straight from the library" update in the future. For the kind of render where vellus makes a difference, I'll probably gravitate towards 8.1

Thanks for creating this, and for listening to us.

dominika studio face 6 pbr vellus.jpg
    1200 x 867 - 901K

Instructions for 8.1

(this is faster than I thought, once you know what to do)

1. create a female 8.1 figure
    2. select figure
    3. menu > Edit > New Geometry Shell... [Accept]
      (now the whole figure is white)
    4. Smart Content > ... > Utilities > apply "Use First"
      (Body and Head are still white)
    5. in Surface tab, Presets sub-tab, select All Files, search for "vellus"
    6. apply 'Vellus Load All'
    7. in Editor sub-tab, select 'Body' and 'Head'
      (check that 'UV set' is 'Base female', which is default with the current beta)
    8. in Presets sub-tab, apply 'Vellus Torso'

cajhin said:

Bought it today, and I'm happy I did, because now my renders (can) look better, with little effort.

As was said, it is subtle, which is good, and to me it's less about seeing hair, and more about fuzzing the hyper-sharp line between bright and dark bodies. Also a nice sheen on nosetip and the like.

Test render attached, just experimenting with high contrast light, a new figure, 8.1 and PBRSkin.

Notes
    (not at all meant in a negative way, just my thoughts while I was using it)
    - I bought it only because of this thread. (and by the way stumbled across the Embrace Poses. Those look really good / natural. Got it).
    - future me (with the lousy memory) could need a dummy icon in the library with the magic words "Create Geoshell First" (applied vellus on the body first, aargh, not a pretty sight :)
    - How do you adjust the *length* of the vellus in the Surface tab?
    - 8.1: putting it on the face is straight forward, but I probably won't do it for full body shots. Too much fiddling around to fix the Body/Head surfaces (flipping the 'uv switch' left the surfaces white with nothing applied to them). Seems to me 30 steps, lots of trial and error, 20 minutes? Would really appreciate it if there was a "8.1 straight from the library" update in the future. For the kind of render where vellus makes a difference, I'll probably gravitate towards 8.1

Thanks for creating this, and for listening to us.

"it's less about seeing hair, and more about fuzzing the hyper-sharp line between bright and dark bodies." Exactly! That's precisely why I created this.
    And thanks for the love for Embrace. I was quite proud of those.
    So, to answer your question, you adjust the length of the hair by increasing (or decreasing) the "Maximum Displacement" setting. I recommend tiny adjustments to keep it real, but it is also kind of fun to crank it up to 1 or so, just to see the fuzz. 

I'm glad you got it to work on 8.1, and also thank you for posting the instructions for anyone who might be having difficulty! I made this product strictly for 8, not really anticipating 8.1, but I'm happy to report that it works exactly the same, all you really need to do is change the U.V. set. 

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

One of the best products lately. Love it. My girls and boys look so much more realistic. Btw, so does all the food they digitally consume laugh. Looking forward to your next great product.

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Btw, so does all the food they digitally consume 

So if you crank it up hight enough it will look like it's been sitting in the refrigerator a bit too long? 

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

Sevrin said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Btw, so does all the food they digitally consume 

So if you crank it up hight enough it will look like it's been sitting in the refrigerator a bit too long? 

hm, great idea. Having real goose bumps. yes

• Mart1n71Mart1n71 Posts: 126

A quick fix to allow this (or any geoshell product) to be used for G8F and/or G8.1F in one click.

• Load G8.1F
    • Select 'Geometry Editor' tool
    • Select a few polys in the torso area. Right click on the selected polygons, select 'geometry assignment' > 'create surface from selected' and name the selection 'Torso' then exit the geometry editor tool by selecting the universal tool.
    • Load your goeshell apply the Vellus Horizon mats/shaders as shown above. The Body and Head sections of the geoshell will still be white.
    • In the scene tab, select your goeshell.
    • In the surfaces tab, select the 'Torso' surface, scroll down and set the UV Set to Base Female if its not already, right click in any of the sliders and 'copy selected suface(s)'
    • Select the Head and Body sufaces.
    • Apply Iray Uber shader to those surfaces then right click and 'paste to selected surface(s)'
    • Scroll down and check the UV set is still set to Base Female.

The torso material should now be visible on the Torso, Head, and Body surfaces of your geoshell. Now select G8.1F and save as 'Wearable Preset(s)' in a convenient place in your content library. On saving, uncheck everything except the Geoshell. Delete G8.1F and reload so you inadvertantly save the G8.1 with the new Torso material zone.

You can now very quickly load this geoshell wearable, complete with mats/shaders onto any G8F, G8.1F and probably G3F and it will only load the textures needed. ie G8/3F will load Torso, Ears, Face, Arms, Legs, whereas G8.1F will load Body, Head, Ears, Face, Arms, Legs.

It would be a good thing to update the product with this type of preset, to make it more accessible to new users, of which there are many these days.  For characters, not necessarily for food.

• jameskalembajameskalemba Posts: 0
    edited March 2021

cajhin said:

Instructions for 8.1

(this is faster than I thought, once you know what to do)

1. create a female 8.1 figure
    2. select figure
    3. menu > Edit > New Geometry Shell... [Accept]
      (now the whole figure is white)
    4. Smart Content > ... > Utilities > apply "Use First"
      (Body and Head are still white)
    5. in Surface tab, Presets sub-tab, select All Files, search for "vellus"
    6. apply 'Vellus Load All'
    7. in Editor sub-tab, select 'Body' and 'Head'
      (check that 'UV set' is 'Base female', which is default with the current beta)
    8. in Presets sub-tab, apply 'Vellus Torso'

Thank You So Much.  This helped me from pulling my Vellus Hair out... 

Mod Edit :- To sort out the quoting

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Hi there, 
    what an awesome product!
    Is there any way to make this work for G8M as well?
    It wold be so nice to not only have it for women. I am wondering why it wasn't released for G8F and G8M in the same time. 
    It could be a product for both!
    Does that make sense? laugh

endlessloving said:

It wold be so nice to not only have it for women. I am wondering why it wasn't released for G8F and G8M in the same time.

(if I remember correctly) Those Things mentioned earlier that vellus hair is quite different with males and females. For example, males either shave or have a beard.

Then there's financial aspects, I guess, vellus mostly makes sense in closeups, which I do with females exclusively. The poor guys are usually reduced to making themselves useful in the background, like bringing the trash out or slaying dragons; you wouldn't see the vellus here.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited March 2021

This is easily one of my favorite products ever. I know I will be using it constantly.

It works really good in male characters, but if you use a custom displacement map with scarcer white points, you can get a more individual hairs look rather than the soft peach fuzz. 

I am experimenting and exaggerating it big time here because big green monster, but I like working with it so far.

Hulk_Main_crop.jpg
    1253 x 910 - 1M
    Hulk_Main.jpg
    1538 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by Soto on
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437

endlessloving said:

Hi there, 
    what an awesome product!

Being a Geometry Shell, it works on both male and female, just select the female UVs in surfaces.

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 575

Since this is a shader system, does it use less resources then other vellus hair products? I haven't used the other products either but since most of them use dForce or fibermesh, I always assumed they would be resource heavy. Maybe I'm wrong?

Hellboy said:

This is easily one of my favorite products ever. I know I will be using it constantly.

It works really good in male characters, but if you use a custom displacement map with scarcer white points, you can get a more individual hairs look rather than the soft peach fuzz. 

I am experimenting and exaggerating it big time here because big green monster, but I like working with it so far.

Well that just looks amazing! 

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Hellboy said:

Thats awesome!

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,933
    edited March 2021

Just jumped off the fence and put it in my cart!

For those that don't use smart content...

1. Create Geo.
    2. Add use first script.
    3. Apply "load all" script.
    4. Select all shaders and set to iray uber and to base female.
    5. Then select head/body and apply the torso script.
    6. You're done!

What I'd like to see is an update for G8/8.1's genitals as it stands you cannot use both!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on

Ths was mostly to try and fail to imitate Neftis' backlighting for the Keyla hair, but it turned out kind of okay.  Increased the geoshell offset a smidge, which allowed me to save some money on clothes.  Character is Cherubit's wonderful Rose.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,238

Hellboy said:

endlessloving said:

Hi there, 
    what an awesome product!

Being a Geometry Shell, it works on both male and female, just select the female UVs in surfaces.

Do you need a product for Female UVs to appear?

Mine just looks like this