(Released!) Vellus Horizon Shader System USER GUIDE IN COMMENTS

Comments

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

This does look like the real deal. I had wondered if geoshells could be used for vellus hair, but didn't know how to go about it. I'm surprised this hasn't been tried yet, I imagine it would be much easier on hardware than any mesh solution. I have been wanting a nice vellus product for ages. So this is exciting.

I'm guessing 8.1 might be throwing a wrench into the release, since 8.1 is having issues with geoshell products.

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,113
    edited January 2021

DVoid said:

Those Things said:

Artini said:

Sorry, but I do not see much difference.

That's by design! The effect is mean to be subtle, as it is subtle in real life, and not something glaringly obvious. You don't so much notice it, as notice its absence, if that makes sense. Where it really makes a difference, is where light rakes across the surface of skin. On actual human skin, that light gets broken up and diffused by the vellus hair or "peach fuzz", but on Daz models (who have no vellus hair) that light behaves as if it is hitting a perfectly smooth surface.

With: 

Without: 

Out of curiosity, what is the texture sets you used for the character in the first three promo posts? I don't know if it's a private, custom texture set you only use for yourself or something isn't availanle somewhere else, but if it's something publicly available, I'd really like to know where it's from. 

That is, I believe, the Kala 8 HD model, with her default materials and textures. One of my favorites!  
    ETA: I just went an checked, and it's the standard Kala 8 HD model, but with Alawa 8's head dialed in. So...kind of Alawa 8, with Kala 8 skin and HD details. 

Post edited by Those Things on
    edited January 2021

UPDATE: The package is all finished, I submitted it a while ago, and it's going through the approval/inspection process as we speak. Here are some final promo images, if anyone is interested. If this goes well, I'll start painting the maps for a Genesis 8.1 version, and male versions as well. 

"Add new layers of realism, softness, and warmth to your close-up and portrait renders, with the Iray Vellus Horizon Shader System for Genesis 8 Female.

Real human skin is covered with a soft, delicate, and barely visible layer of "peach fuzz," composed of nearly microscopic vellus hairs. Under certain lighting conditions, this layer shows itself at the visible edges of skin surfaces, creating what is known as the "vellus horizon." Typically, 3D figures lack this layer, robbing them of an essential component of realism and giving their skin an artificially smooth appearance. Even with fibermesh hair systems designed to mimic vellus hair, typically only the larger vellus hairs are depicted, and the vellus horizon remains largely absent. 

Enter the Iray Vellus Horizon Shader System for Genesis 8 Female. This simple product simulates the vellus horizon using custom-made, Iray-displacing shaders that are applied to a simple geoshell. The effect is controlled with hand-painted alpha maps that cover the entire figure body, mimicking real-world vellus hair distribution patterns. And since they are shaders, you have ultimate control over everything from displacement strength, to opacity, to hair length right in your surfaces tab. So you can adjust it until it looks just the way you want it to. You can even tint the hair if desired using the translucency color channel. Since you apply the shaders only to the areas you need in a given render, they can be quite resource-friendly, as well. They can even work alongside your existing fibermesh vellus hair systems to give them the missing optical effect of a vellus horizon.

The workflow couldn't be simpler. With your figure selected in the Scene tab, apply a geoshell (choose "Parent to Selected Item"). Then, with the geoshell selected in both your Scene Tab and your Surfaces tab, apply the included Geoshell Prep properties preset. After that, simply apply the desired shaders, as needed for your render, to the corresponding material zones of your geoshell. It's just that easy. 

Greater realism is on the horizon with the Iray Vellus Horizon Shader System for Genesis 8 Female."

Hope you like it, and that you find it useful!

VHS_popup_1.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 921K
    VHS_popup_2.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1006K
    VHS_popup_3.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 709K
    VHS_popup_4.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    VHS_popup_5.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 749K
    VHS_popup_6.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 664K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,849

Well done - will wait for the release then.

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

THIS looks more naturally than the just released one of DAZ ... wink instant buy for me!

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

I've not been buying much recently, but this looks like a must-have.

Sevrin said:

I've not been buying much recently, but this looks like a must-have.

I understand, believe me. Times are difficult. With that said, I must admit that I am probably going to buy something when my stimulus check arrives. blush 

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

I can't wait. This will be a day 1 for me as well. I'm not really concerned about 8.1, as I have a way to transfer skin maps to the new UV, so I think I could mod a 8.1 version.

Problem is, I was looking through some renders I've done and wondering if I should redo them fuzzy...

• So glad you are still going ahead with this, ThoseThings. It is an inspired idea.

Regards,

Richard.

• ThyranqThyranq Posts: 584

Looks spectacular, and I can't wait to see it in the shop - definitely an insta-buy!

When Genesis 8.1 came out touting about it's Vellus hair I honestly felt quite a bit bad for you, as it could potentially take some of the wind and hype out of your product, but after looking at those promos I don't think you have anything to worry about. This looks FAR superior to any vellus product that I own, have tried, or have seen.

This one looks good enough that THIS is what G8.1 should have been paired with.

Outstanding work, once again! My wallet is ready to serve.

Thyranq said:

Looks spectacular, and I can't wait to see it in the shop - definitely an insta-buy!

When Genesis 8.1 came out touting about it's Vellus hair I honestly felt quite a bit bad for you, as it could potentially take some of the wind and hype out of your product, but after looking at those promos I don't think you have anything to worry about. This looks FAR superior to any vellus product that I own, have tried, or have seen.

This one looks good enough that THIS is what G8.1 should have been paired with.

Outstanding work, once again! My wallet is ready to serve.

It certainly would be more in the spirit of reinvigourating Daz's shaders than yet another bodyhair prop. 

edited January 2021

I put this model into the harshest light I could come up with, so I could make sure the distribution and material settings were working properly. Note the edges of the nose, the shoulder closest to the camera, the back of the neck, and you can also see how the texture of the cheek where the light is hitting it has been improved. This is just the default settings of the shaders, which of course can be user adjusted if the effect seems too pronounced. 

Hard Light Example.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 916K
  • Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

THATS how velus hair should look like - GREAT!!!! yes

• Spot on. Not seen anything approaching it before.

Regards,

Richard

• veenveen Posts: 132

instant buy for me

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Is it out yet? cheeky

• SimonJM said:

Is it out yet? cheeky

It's through inspection, and should be appearing soon... 

• Finally laugh

Those Things said:

SimonJM said:

Is it out yet? cheeky

Are we there yet? cheeky 

• SimonJM said:

Those Things said:

SimonJM said:

Is it out yet? cheeky

Are we there yet? cheeky 

Don't make me turn this car around... 

Those Things said:

SimonJM said:

Those Things said:

SimonJM said:

Is it out yet? cheeky

Are we there yet? cheeky 

Don't make me turn this car around... 

Are we annoyed yet? wink 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Damn, I like.

For Genesis 8.1?

• nicstt said:

Damn, I like.

For Genesis 8.1?

No, for Gensis 8. But if people like it, I'll do one for 8.1 too. 

Those Things said:

I put this model into the harshest light I could come up with, so I could make sure the distribution and material settings were working properly. Note the edges of the nose, the shoulder closest to the camera, the back of the neck, and you can also see how the texture of the cheek where the light is hitting it has been improved. This is just the default settings of the shaders, which of course can be user adjusted if the effect seems too pronounced. 

I rarely get as far as posting images because im not happy with them; mostly I only do because im showing something.

This image shows one (sadly there are othesr) of the things missing.

Those Things said:

nicstt said:

Damn, I like.

For Genesis 8.1?

Sadly, I wont  be buying for 8.0, but 8.1 would be a day one. Hell I'd pay you upfront!

• ThyranqThyranq Posts: 584

nicstt said:

Those Things said:

nicstt said:

Damn, I like.

For Genesis 8.1?

Sadly, I wont  be buying for 8.0, but 8.1 would be a day one. Hell I'd pay you upfront!

While this won't be compatible "out of the box" with 8.1, wouldn't this be something that could fairly easily be ported over on the user end?

If it's geoshells and shaders, I have products like that now that I can alter to work with 8.1, so unless I'm missing something, shouldn't this be the same case? 

• Thyranq said:

nicstt said:

Those Things said:

nicstt said:

Damn, I like.

For Genesis 8.1?

While this won't be compatible "out of the box" with 8.1, wouldn't this be something that could fairly easily be ported over on the user end?

If it's geoshells and shaders, I have products like that now that I can alter to work with 8.1, so unless I'm missing something, shouldn't this be the same case? 

Well, I haven't tested it, but I don't see why not. The main sticking points are that the material zones (texture sets) of the two figures are divided up differently and named differently, but the maps should still tell the geoshell how to distribute the displacement effect, provided the UVs of the two figures are the same.  

If a geoshell has access to both UVs that 8.1 has, then it might work; I'll wait and see.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,235
    edited February 2021

You do realise you can change the UV set of a geoshell independent of the UV set of the underlying mesh, right?

E.g., you can apply the geoshell to 8.1, then change the geoshell's UV to base female/base male.

So this is 100% compatible with G8.1...

Or am i missing something?  Pretty sure i posted this earlier but maybe i didnt.

EDIT: So you might as well include a material preset for G8.1 on release, using the G8 base female UV, to avoid limiting your own sales... imo

Post edited by lilweep on