(Released!) Vellus Horizon Shader System USER GUIDE IN COMMENTS

Comments

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Instant buy for me also. It is very subtle, but so is vellus hair in most cases.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Totally agree on both counts. 

Sigurd said:

Instant buy for me also. It is very subtle, but so is vellus hair in most cases.

• Fantastic!  Definitely what has been missing for the closeups.

• Looks much more realistic than other products I've tried. Looking forward to it

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,609
    edited December 2020

So excited for this! One of the biggest things that adds to the uncanny valley effect is the lack of that soft fuzz. Though after watching a rather horrifying dermaplaning video, I have to wonder if now a lot of people are walking around without any fuzz at all on their faces, lol. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

Damn, this looks amazing. Can't wait to buy this!

• Are there separate zones such as cheeks nose chin etc or are all the areas just one hair prop?

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 549

Artini said:

Sorry, but I do not see much difference.

Um, open them in two different tabs and flip between them. The difference is clear. 

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@Artini

You shouldn't see much difference. That's the point. Vellus hair is fine and very short. In a real life photo it will look like a thin halo when back lit. If not back liighted, it will not be visible unless the photo is a fairly extreme close up. Even then, the vellus hair will only be visible along a profile/edge.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

hope to see this in the store soon.

:)

j

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,921

Those Things said:

Lothar Weber said:

Is it just for the face or the whole body.

The entire body.  

INSTA-BOUGHT! 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

I've been using The Philosopher's Vellus Hair on my Genesis 8's, but this looks like a less swarthy alternative. You are really doing great things, Those Things!

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Instabuy when it comes to shop, good job!

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,113
    edited December 2020

Here's another comparison, for those still on the fence about whether this will make enough of a difference in realism to justify an eventual purchase. I made the aspect ratio wide, so both images can be on a single monitor at the same time. Obviously, this is not something that a user will need in every render, but it is something that can make a big difference depending on the lighting conditions in your scene, especially with close up shots and portraits.

Without:

With:

Angharad Test Portrait.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 908K
    Angharad Test Portrait with Vellus Horizon.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Those Things on
  • Those Things said:

Here's another comparison, for those still on the fence about whether this will make enough of a difference in realism to justify the purchase:

well! Justified! yes bring it to us! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease! angel

• Those Things said:

Here's another comparison, for those still on the fence about whether this will make enough of a difference in realism to justify the purchase:

Without:

With:

Why does the edge of the fabric running down from her left shoulder change from dark to light between the two renders?

• Richard Haseltine said:

Those Things said:

Without:

With:

Why does the edge of the fabric running down from her left shoulder change from dark to light between the two renders?

I'm not sure what you're seeing? I opened both renders in Photoshop, and they both look the same. Maybe it's just a web browser artifact? 

• I can see it, as well. Looks good though.

• GhostofMacbeth said:

I can see it, as well. Looks good though.

I can't see it...

Here's each shoulder, side by side: 

Shoulder 1.jpg
    547 x 365 - 76K
    Shoulder 2.jpg
    547 x 365 - 76K
  • Look at the edge of the darker fabric going down from the left corner of her chin.

• Left as in actual left rather than facing left. It is on the fabric edge and on the shoulder.

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,113
    edited December 2020

Richard Haseltine said:

Look at the edge of the darker fabric going down from the left corner of her chin.

Ahhh, I was on the wrong side. I do see that. I don't know why that's there. 

ETA: Mystery solved, photoshop applying camera RAW settings from a previous render. laugh

Post edited by Those Things on
  • I need to save up some budget. Do you already have a time frame when that great thing can jump in my shopping cart? Looks like a must-have laugh

• Mark_e593e0a5 said:

I need to save up some budget. Do you already have a time frame when that great thing can jump in my shopping cart? Looks like a must-have laugh

I'd say it's about 99% finished, so I'll be submitting it very soon. 

• Those Things said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Look at the edge of the darker fabric going down from the left corner of her chin.

ETA: Mystery solved, photoshop applying camera RAW settings from a previous render. laugh

Ah, one of those features there to help you...they say.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Those Things said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Ah, one of those features there to help you...they say.

That can happen when software try to out-smart the user. Usually with very unexpected (and unwanted) results. Tha's why I rather go with natural stupidity than artificial intelligence laugh

• DVoidDVoid Posts: 40

Those Things said:

Artini said:

Sorry, but I do not see much difference.

That's by design! The effect is mean to be subtle, as it is subtle in real life, and not something glaringly obvious. You don't so much notice it, as notice its absence, if that makes sense. Where it really makes a difference, is where light rakes across the surface of skin. On actual human skin, that light gets broken up and diffused by the vellus hair or "peach fuzz", but on Daz models (who have no vellus hair) that light behaves as if it is hitting a perfectly smooth surface.

With: 

Without: 

Out of curiosity, what is the texture sets you used for the character in the first three promo posts? I don't know if it's a private, custom texture set you only use for yourself or something isn't availanle somewhere else, but if it's something publicly available, I'd really like to know where it's from. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,773

It will be even more interested to see the difference between this system and the newly released Vellus hair in:

https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-8-1-university-bundle

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 549

Artini said:

It will be even more interested to see the difference between this system and the newly released Vellus hair in:

https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-8-1-university-bundle

Nothing against that one in the University bundle, but I find Those Things' version far more realistic. It covers the body better is more accurate to actual vellus. I haven't sat up waiting on a new release like this in a good while!