--August Carrara Monthly Challenge: SIZE MATTERS!-- WIP thread

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

mhossack said:
    I haven't used Carrara in ages and I thought trying this challenge would be a good way to get back to it! Using Carrara 7.2 Pro at the moment.

This is an early WIP. I'm planning to model some columns and maybe a building of some sort behind the dragon.

I'm hoping the DOF makes it seem more imposing.

Great job so far! I use Carrara 7.2 Pro as well!
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

I think DOF would be useful to my scene...but I've never used it before. We'll see if I can figure it out in time.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    I think DOF would be useful to my scene...but I've never used it before. We'll see if I can figure it out in time.

I hear that! Fortunately, we have some time left.

To all. I like to see so many WIPs from artists who haven't participated before. The quality is fantastic. This will be an excellent challenge.

Since I have that bottle's reflective surface, I wanted a 360 degree setting. I've tried to create an appropriate background image by rendering a simple room with the spherical camera. I also made some changes to the sails, as per Kashyyyk's suggestions. I really appreciate the help and support.

I am now going to get away from this draft for a few days and return with fresh eyes. Gives me some time to think about my second idea, and to play with DOF - probably at the same time.

wip_pirate_spherical_1.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 223K
    room_spherical.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 93K
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

BTW - here is a Cripeman tutorial on DOF

http://carraracafe.com/tag/depth-of-field/

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

My idea is proving trickier to implement than first envisioned (ain't that the way!)...

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Do you have Photoshop? I don't know what the minimum version is, I have CS2, you need Lens Blur to use it. I use the depth layer render in Carrara and then use photoshop to apply the depth. Let make up some how to images and I'll post how I do it.

edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Garstor said:

Do you have Photoshop? I don't know what the minimum version is, I have CS2, you need Lens Blur to use it. I use the depth layer render in Carrara and then use photoshop to apply the depth. Let make up some how to images and I'll post how I do it.

You don't need to use the lens blur filter to apply DOF in Photoshop with a depth map. It's easier, but not required. Copy your image and paste, making a new layer. Then create a layer mask in the top layer. Copy your depth layer, and then option click your layer mask layer and paste the depth map into it. Next apply a Gaussian blur to the bottom layer. Try around 4 pixels to start. You may need to invert the color of the depth pass used in the layer mask.

edited July 2014

Here is how I do it, I created a new thread so all the posts aren't here. I had to search around the internet before I could figure out how to do this. I hope it helps someone.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44272/

Post edited by d-j-o on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

great tut thanks!

quickie from me

Doc2cropped.jpg
    2000 x 1581 - 183K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Garstor said:

I hear that! Fortunately, we have some time left.

To all. I like to see so many WIPs from artists who haven't participated before. The quality is fantastic. This will be an excellent challenge.

Since I have that bottle's reflective surface, I wanted a 360 degree setting. I've tried to create an appropriate background image by rendering a simple room with the spherical camera. I also made some changes to the sails, as per Kashyyyk's suggestions. I really appreciate the help and support.

I am now going to get away from this draft for a few days and return with fresh eyes. Gives me some time to think about my second idea, and to play with DOF - probably at the same time.

You know, here's something to think about Diomede, but if you rendered a depth pass and followed kashyyk's mini tutorial about creating a DOF in Photoshop or other image editor and applied it to your spherical render, you could fake blurry reflections in the bottle, as the near part of the room would be in focus and the further away it got, it would be out of focus.

One other thing to consider, if you use the Skylight option in your final render, your spherical render will be treated like an HDRI in that Carrara will use it to calculate lighting based on the image. It won't be as good as an HDRI, but it can look really nice. This image uses a spherical render of the city in the background as a light source.

Vanguard-on-landing-pad.jpg
    2000 x 1465 - 822K
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    great tut thanks!

quickie from me

Eeewwww...!

Great job, really creepy looking!

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

The universe in the Hole of my scene...
    I used some planets (pre made in Carrara) after I added some ligth (bulb) to create sun and ligthing stars. After I used volumetric clouds to create an effect like nebula and this in the final(?) effect ...

previewhole5.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 311K
    light.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 680K
    planet.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 230K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790
    edited December 1969

wow... really great WiPs appearing in here... the universe in the hole is wicked.. love it, can't wait to see the final image on that one..

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

A lot of really great and interesting WIP's and posts so far!!

Here is an update on my project. Edited a few shaders, posed the main figure, added the tree (which required increasing height, while reducing horizontal dimensions), and added/posed the little dragon.

Now I've got to start filling in the scene. I'll probably make a table/desk for my second Carrara item, and add some other stuff to the scene, then do some more work on the shaders/lighting.

Doc9.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 644K
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    wow... really great WiPs appearing in here... the universe in the hole is wicked.. love it, can't wait to see the final image on that one..

I agree, that's a really neat idea!

edited July 2014

dustrider said:
    A lot of really great and interesting WIP's and posts so far!!

Here is an update on my project. Edited a few shaders, posed the main figure, added the tree (which required increasing height, while reducing horizontal dimensions), and added/posed the little dragon.

Now I've got to start filling in the scene. I'll probably make a table/desk for my second Carrara item, and add some other stuff to the scene, then do some more work on the shaders/lighting.

That's looking really awesome! That's a really nice job on making a complete scene in such a constricted space.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

just wow!! :-)

edited December 1969

A leisurely Sunday arvo here.. got stuck into the challenge..

the topic was a challenge for me to think of something let alone doing the challenge

anyways, here are a couple of WiPs before I feed the pigeons ;-)

wip2.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 396K
    wip1.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 388K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited December 1969

Wow!
    I didn't have time to read anything or even see all of the images. But glancing at the pictures on the first three pages of this thread is proving to be most awesome! Keep it up!

I hope I'll have some time to join in. I'll have to go back and see the rules dates, etc.,
    Should be able to find some Carrara time in about a week, I think.

edited December 1969

Wow!
    I didn't have time to read anything or even see all of the images. But glancing at the pictures on the first three pages of this thread is proving to be most awesome! Keep it up!

I hope I'll have some time to join in. I'll have to go back and see the rules dates, etc.,
    Should be able to find some Carrara time in about a week, I think.

Rules are pretty simple. You still need two things either created in, or heavily modified in Carrara, but I leave it up to the artist to decide what they want to do to fulfill that requirement. Creating and modifying shaders counts, so does kit-bashing as Kyoto Kid asked about.

edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    A leisurely Sunday arvo here.. got stuck into the challenge..

the topic was a challenge for me to think of something let alone doing the challenge

anyways, here are a couple of WiPs before I feed the pigeons ;-)

Nice job on the scene so far Stezza!

I hope to start putting elements of mine together today as well.

edited December 1969

Been working on my scene.

I built a new tree in the VM and shaded and textured it. I basically drew a shape on the floor and extruded upwards. I rotated the poly a little each time I extruded. When I reached the point where I wanted the shape to divide, I linked the edge vertices and added vertices to create a a rough grid, then I extruded each branch upwards.

I created the vine the same way as I did in the previous challenge, in that I made a polyline with the interpolated curve line tool, drew a shape, filled it and extruded it along the poly line. I then defined a shading domain for the points along the vine that I wanted to replicate branches. I used the same plant as I did in last months challenge to populate the replicator.

I'm still working on shading for the vine trunk.

Picture_4.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 678K
    Picture_3.png
    981 x 726 - 278K
    Picture_2.png
    972 x 725 - 173K
    Picture_1.png
    984 x 729 - 160K
    edited July 2014

Here is my airport of the city. A couple Sharecg items and carrara default items and the map is something I made up in photoshop, combining and editing a couple images into one.

Untitled-12.jpg
    1155 x 647 - 87K
    Post edited by d-j-o on
  • MarkHossackMarkHossack Posts: 28
    edited July 2014

Some great looking progress from all.

Another test render and a shot showing the (very basic) modelling for the columns and background building. I'm trying to get used to Carrara's modeller.

wip_render2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 206K
    wip_screen2.jpg
    640 x 324 - 150K
    Post edited by MarkHossack on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Another update.

I added a desk I modeled in Carrara, shown here in both the assembly room and the modeling room. I could have used a simple plane instead, but since I had the whole desk (made it about a month ago), I thought I'd just use it. Due to the camera angle, the edges of the desk didn't look quite right, so I added a couple of cylinder primitives with wood shaders to better define the edges (see rendered image).

I also "removed" the leaves on the tree, they weren't needed for the image, and the trans maps just weren't working inside the glass dome. The tree and the leaves were all on the same UV map/object so I couldn't delete them without losing the uv mapping for the rest of the tree. I selected the leaf poly's and scaled them to 0% - problem solved.

There are also some minor pose and shader adjustments in this version.

Desk_in_assembly.JPG
    1162 x 775 - 120K
    Desk_in_model.JPG
    1201 x 804 - 82K
    Doc66.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 263K
    edited December 1969

Some thoughts for my second entry. Just a concept sketch.

I'm thinking of the construction of a colossus of Rhodes, except not Rhodes. Just a bunch of placeholders right now. I want to make it look like the natural landscape rises to his knees or so, and the artisans carved his shins and feet from the cliff. then built a statue from the knees up for the colossus. I want a city by a river in the distance beyond the harbor entrance. Some ships going through the harbor entrance to depict some scale. Also, some scaffolding with tiny workers working on the upper arms. Probably some seagulls. The colossus is M4 with his forearms and hands hidden.

Everything needs to be swapped out, but this is my initial thinking.

colossus_concept_1c_copy.jpg
    640 x 480 - 80K
    edited December 1969

Here is my final set up. I'm going to start my render now!

Untitled-13.jpg
    1155 x 573 - 207K
    edited July 2014

@dustrider: That is coming along very, very nicely. I mentioned it before, but I like that you were able to get a complete scene under the jar. Nice job on the desk.

@diomede: One of the concepts I had thought about was the scene where Talos attacks Jason's ship in the Ray Harryhausen classic, Jason and the Argonauts. I think this one could be really cool when it is complete.

@kashyyk: That is really going to be an immersive world when it's rendered! PhilW may want to ask you if he can use it as promo image for his cool city product!

@mhossack: Your scene is progressing well. Like what you're doing with the ruins/temple in the background. Nice DOF as well.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

Very nice theme.
    I'll try to enter bot small and big world, if time allows.

Anyway, here are my first studies for the small size render.

Mann2-dof.png
    1280 x 960 - 2M
    Doc10-dof2.png
    1280 x 960 - 2M
    edited December 1969

These are two items I created for the challenge..

a prehistoric magnifying glass and a prehistoric palm thingy...

neither of which have ever been discovered by modern man!

making use of Genesis ... this is the rendered image before composition of my previous WiPs

wip4.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 476K
    wip3.jpg
    723 x 641 - 56K