ZDG random Daz Studio discoveries and questions.

Comments

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited July 2014

Dawn outfit on G2F, it is in violation of some laws.

Auto-fit put the skirt in G2F, so I tried the Hair trick. I loaded the skirt separate into the scene, placed it about in the correct location, then I set up the smoothing collision thing to rid the last of the poke-threw. Everything looked good, until I parented the skirt to the Hip and 'Fit-to' kicked in.

Auto-fit moved the skirt back forward to the wrong location again, and the smoothing kind of Saran-wrapped the back side. The front top of the skirt is in complete violation of ALL of the Laws of Motion and Gravity. It is just completely Wrong in all of the dimensions of space-time. lol.

Dawn outfits Do NOT work on G2F. (yes the shirt was just as bad with worse results) Experiment concluded, I'm moving on now. Much to be doing to bother fussing with this any more.

DawnSkirtOnG2F_001.png
    1377 x 662 - 161K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited July 2014

Dawn outfit on G2F, it is in violation of some laws.

Auto-fit put the skirt in G2F, so I tried the Hair trick. I loaded the skirt separate into the scene, placed it about in the correct location, then I set up the smoothing collision thing to rid the last of the poke-threw. Everything looked good, until I parented the skirt to the Hip and 'Fit-to' kicked in.

Auto-fit moved the skirt back forward to the wrong location again, and the smoothing kind of Saran-wrapped the back side. The front top of the skirt is in complete violation of ALL of the Laws of Motion and Gravity. It is just completely Wrong in all of the dimensions of space-time. lol.

Dawn outfits Do NOT work on G2F. (yes the shirt was just as bad with worse results) Experiment concluded, I'm moving on now. Much to be doing to bother fussing with this any more.

There are ways to make it work--ideally you would have a Dawn AutoFit clone for G2F. You can't buy one though...you'd have to make it yourself. I think I've seen tutorials somewhere on how to do that, but it requires a modeling program like Hexagon, Blender, ZBrush, etc.

The other thing you can try is to fake it: load both Dawn and G2F into your scene, fit the clothing to Dawn, give both figures the same exact pose and position, and set the clothing to collide with G2F. Adjust smoothing and collision modifiers as necessary, and you may also have to re-shape G2F (or Dawn, if you have morphs for her) so that the two figures more nearly match in shape. Then make Dawn invisible and hopefully G2F will appear to be wearing the Dawn clothing.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

There are ways to make it work--ideally you would have a Dawn AutoFit clone for G2F. You can't buy one though...you'd have to make it yourself. I think I've seen tutorials somewhere on how to do that, but it requires a modeling program like Hexagon, Blender, ZBrush, etc. And Dawn.The other thing you can try is to fake it: load both Dawn and G2F into your scene, fit the clothing to Dawn, give both figures the same exact pose and position, and set the clothing to collide with G2F. Adjust smoothing and collision modifiers as necessary, and you may also have to re-shape G2F (or Dawn, if you have morphs for her) so that the two figures more nearly match in shape. Then make Dawn invisible and hopefully G2F will appear to be wearing the Dawn clothing.
    Thanks for the Ideas, A3 shades on G2F I can try that way, hmmm.

That sounds similar to using an invisible bodysuit to fix the shirt threw pants effect, i have yet to try that. So if you don't have Dawn, well, it was worth the try, and the laugh. I want to play with simple texture patrons, I have not done that in a while.

Alwyn - Now mind the bowls. It's a vegetable chowder made by Mrs. Simms just down the road. It stays blisteringly hot for at least half an hour after it's drawn from the pot. Don't know how she does it. Defies at least two of the laws of thermodynamics. I just can't decide which ones.

edited December 1969

Don't mind the poke-threw, I was fussing with taming the impossibly thin hourglass figure to no avail again. The swimming suit was never made to work with some of the morphs apparently, and I must have entered the wrong settings into the collision thing.

This patron is one of the many things I was trying out last night, and today until I got a phone call. That is how it goes tho.

A cleaning mistake in the kitchen at my fathers left yellow fire-extinguisher powder everywhere, and they need my vacuum and my help. I'll get back to this eventually tonight, I just don't know when. Chat later y'all.

ZdgTriangleTest01005pv1_001crop1.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 498K
    edited July 2014

Sorry I haven't gotten to posting any cool renders, I've been busy looking for a good backdrop for a cool set I got today.

While browsing Anthony's antantarctic blog page for good backdrops, and I came across this image. Well if this was in Daz Studio, I guess people would be going nuts trying to adjust the Sub Surface Shader settings, or trying to 'Soften' the light of the sun a tad. lol

At what point is striving for that realistic light setup, producing lighting schemes that are no longer based in reality.

Personally I know that is how it is supposed to look, even tho the light is 'harsh'. Good luck adjusting that Sub Surface Shader, And forget about adjusting the 'Softness' of the Actual Sun. lol.

http://antantarctic.wordpress.com/

AnthonyLister_AntarcticNightSky_dsc_0372small.jpg
    2000 x 1325 - 2M
    edited August 2014

FW Nikki
    http://www.daz3d.com/fw-nikki
    Also used;
    http://www.daz3d.com/aiko-6-starter-bundle/
    Janna Hair (Included with Aiko6 starter bundle)
    http://www.daz3d.com/thalia-hair
    http://www.daz3d.com/ocean-swimsuit
    Costom textures;
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/659596/

A figure with potential. This is a figure that dose not lock up the morph sliders, so she can easily be mixed in varying amounts with others. In the attached line up, there is plane old G2F on the far left, then Nikki with Aiko6 slider at 0%, then Nikki with Aiko6 slider at the default 75%, then the plane old Aiko6 on the right.

I was surprised that the figure morphs loaded the Aiko6 stuff, even when just the base G2F was having the stuff applied to her. Again, it was not a problem to go into the shaping stuff and dial the Aiko6 sliders to 0%. And unlike some other figures I came across, Fw Nikki dose have a body shape slider, ***and a Head Shape slider for incredible versatility. The result is a figure that would work well for Anime, fantasy (elves/fairies/etc), or even possibly real life stuff.

Now as a minor annoyance, there is NO load from scratch Icon in the smart tab under figures, nor anywhere else. This yet another figure that ALL the different parts need to be found, and applied to a G2F base (load G2F into the scene first). At least ALL morph and textures are within a single path in the Content Library (thank you), And once the (head shape, body shape, and matt, is applied to the figure, The render results are quite similar to the promo pics for her.

The SSS mats do bring up a figure in the Viewfield that is much darker then the actual render. This is just a limitation of the OpenGL stuff in the GUI, and other figures using advanced shaders also do this. Tho I can foresee some getting confused setting up large scenes with the off colored figures, it is not a problem with final renders.

So a few detractors, tho nothing major. A really nice addition to the Aiko6 gene pool.

So in closing (for this post, comment as you wish), I'm also including a few screen-caps of the path, so those not familiar with the Content Library can find this really nice figure by FW Art. I am off to grieve the loss of a friend Jaderail, and distract myself from the sadness with two other sets I picked up ("Alien Invasion!" by DAZ3D & Valandar, and "Sea Scapes" by petipet).

R.I.P. Jeff.
    I know I am not alone in my sadness, as the entire community is in grief over the loss of him. I will do what I can, tho my reading and typing skill are no where as fast as his. And my knowledge of CG is vastly inferior to his. It is the strength to carry on, or risk being left behind. We can honer him best by doing what we do best, and not giving up.

FwNikki_Path_Mats_001.png
    1546 x 486 - 45K
    FwNikki_Path_Morphs_001.png
    1370 x 632 - 50K
    FwNikki_Renders02014cam14_001.png
    1800 x 1200 - 3M
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the figure comparison, it's always interesting to see.

I haven't played with Alien Invasion yet but Sea Scapes is a fantastic set, useful any time you need an ocean and with various options for the water and sky.

Also wanted to mention, just in case you didn't know and do want to use Dawn clothes at some point in the future, that Dawn is available for free.

edited December 1969

Jindi, you are quite correct. After not finding any sky or ground to go around that dragon tower thing (I didn't look that hard), I was expecting to need to fudge it all my self with this cool looking pyramidal shaped structure. I am pleasantly surprised before getting to the renders.
    http://www.daz3d.com/sea-scapes

There is a load everything icon in the 'Environments' tab. And at first glance, It is Everything from the one Promo pic (Except for the crafts/ships), and allot of options as well.

Thanks petipet, I now have a SkyDome to figure out the coolness of. Assuming I can make this work, I can now venture out of that Gray-Box, and get some fresh air, lol.

Enough of this for now, I supposedly have some cool ships from a separate package, around here somewhere to play with as well. I'm off to play outside of the gray-box a bit.

SeaScapes_Stuff101.png
    1518 x 988 - 827K
    SeaScapes_FullScene101.png
    1518 x 695 - 386K
    edited December 1969

At least my body got some rest this morning, tho I would not exactly call it sleep, lol.

Here is two test renders of part of the "Sea Scapes" set. Fw Eve is sporting the HMHM hair by "Red Viper" (sharcg), Morphing dress packs with the add on white dress (Reign), and the lighting is the default one from the former post.
    http://www.daz3d.com/reign
    http://www.daz3d.com/morphing-fantasy-dress-for-genesis-2-females
    http://www.daz3d.com/morphing-fantasy-dress-exp-1-for-genesis-2-females
    (the three required parts of the one dress, No the sleeves and color are NOT separate parts, you can NOT load them separately. I still like the dress.)

http://www.daz3d.com/sea-scapes
    http://www.daz3d.com/fw-eve
    (Fw Eve requires V6)

I am very pleased with this, the lighting could use a tad of tweaking for the No-Fog scene, yet perfect for cloudy skies or fog. Tho it is an incredible start, allot of work done for me.

SeaScapeFwEve01004cam1_001.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    SeaScapeFwEve01004cam2small_001.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    edited July 2014

First bit of "Alien Invasion!". I found five craft rather quick in the "Transportation" tab.

I'm also doing a crash course in Gimp2, as that imprint of "PhotoDeluxe" is still on the back of my hand, lol. That is why I have not done any cool click here flow-charts of late. I need to get rid of the PhotoDeluxe imprint on the back of my hand, and replace it with Gimp. lol.

"O" I can put that boat to use as well, and check out the oars and stuff now.
    (edit)
    There are only four ships, the one I thought was a fifth is just some sacks for that boat. oops.

AlienInvasion_001crop1002.png
    524 x 686 - 107K
    edited December 1969

First test render, same as the above "Sea Scapes", with the addition of the four ships.
    http://www.daz3d.com/alien-invasion
    They load, and look like the promo pics, now to have some fun with them, lol.

I think the ships have there own kind of coolness to them.

SeaScapeInvasionFwEve01007cam1_001.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited July 2014

Pleas allow me to be a little kid of sorts for this one post.
    750 posts, YES! Three quarters of the way to one-thousand stupid questions by a Noob (Me). lol
    O.k. that was childish in a way.

On a serious note. Payment fees that PA's lose form transactions? I don't want specifics, just curious if it is better for them to be payed threw the Daz store with PayPal taking a percentage, or if the regular Visa Business Transaction fees cost them more, or is it about the same and not matter that much?
    (edit)
    Say if I come across an irresistible product for under ten USD, vs say a combo pack for over fifty USD?

750Posts_SelfEnduldging002.png
    961 x 238 - 29K
  • DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited December 1969

Just curious where did you see mention of PAs payment fees? It might help me clarify what is happening. DAZ pays out PAs twice a month, usually the first or second business day after the 15th and after the last day of the month. We get half of whatever price the item sold for, and DAZ gets the other half. Any transaction fees for any individual order are paid by DAZ, which is one of the main benefits of working with a large brokerage. Most PAs are paid directly to their Pay Pal accounts. Some get checks which are mailed out. There are a few other methods that some non US based PAS get too, but I don't have those details. I do know that Pay Pal and some international banks can charge a fee for converting US dollars into local currency. This can be a substantial hit to the total income for non US based PAs, and can differ wildly based on the current rates of exchange. That is the only payment fee that PAs lose from transactions that I can think of, at least here at the DAZ store. Other stores might have it worked out differently.

Congrats on post 750. I'm not too far ahead of you. Our next milestone is 1000. We should both be Power Members shortly. :-)

edited July 2014

Thanks for the insight DestinysGarden, I had read that percentage thing else wear, and started feeling guilty in a way over the under ten USD purchases I had made.

Explicitly, I recently pulled the "SoundBlaster" card out of my computer for the Windows 7 install (from XP 32bit), using exclusively my Cakewalk Roland UA-25EX interface (Pro recording sound-card thing) now. The new sound-card did not let Winamp play Wave files any more, just MP3 would work. The site that had a fix was asking for "Donations" with a note. Anything under thirty cents would give them nothing after the transaction fees.

On a product on sail for two USD (Fw Nikki), thirty cents is allot. Then there was another thread with people having issues using PayPal, and I had to ask.

To be utterly honest, I see things on sail, that gets my attention. Then if I feel it is worth more then the sail price, I will explicitly wait for the price to at least go up, before hitting the buy-now button. I have an inkling of how much PA's put into there products, and I don't want to be short-changing them.

edited December 1969

That does clarify things a bit, and now I'll give you another one. Anything that says DAZ 3D in addition to the broker's name, like your FW Nikki example, is a buy out. That means that the PA and DAZ have agreed upon a price, DAZ pays the PA in full and then DAZ now owns it. DAZ can set whatever price they want on the item. The PA never gets another penny from the sale of the item as they have already been paid by DAZ. Everything in the Platinum Club is a buy out. So go ahead and be guilt free when you buy a 1.99 item, and don't ever feel bad about buying a $10 item from a PA either. ;-)

edited July 2014

That does clarify things a bit, and now I'll give you another one. Anything that says DAZ 3D in addition to the broker's name, like your FW Nikki example, is a buy out. That means that the PA and DAZ have agreed upon a price, DAZ pays the PA in full and then DAZ now owns it. DAZ can set whatever price they want on the item. The PA never gets another penny from the sale of the item as they have already been paid by DAZ. Everything in the Platinum Club is a buy out. So go ahead and be guilt free when you buy a 1.99 item, and don't ever feel bad about buying a $10 item from a PA either. ;-)
    Now that answers something else about the stuff used in promo things, thanks again.

So when I see "Stuff Used" listed and it is a Daz3D "Acquisition", and nothing else in the PA's store has it listed (yet), it was some one at Daz3D that put it there, O.K. (edit; nothing against the PA's, it just confused the marbles out of me.)

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited July 2014

wrong thread.

Post edited by anikad on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for dropping by anikad.

I've noticed funny things with the store at times. Sometimes the cart will get stuck, and not show an item (And not let you add it again), until you add something else. The requirements listing sometimes goes mad, and shows the same thing repetitively (No clue what that is about). And sometimes things will show up in a search, that dose not meet the filter requirements.

Sometimes it only takes a page refresh, or closing the browser and then opening the browser again, to solve the issue with the Internet-molecules.

Life was simple back when it was just HTML (webpage language), without all this other stuff that gets updated (broken) on what seams like a weekly basses.

Is your Java updated; no I prefer coffee, lol.
    Is your "Flash" up to date; My what.
    is it a problem in Python; That's it, the Python ate the webpage and the stuff in the shopping cart, lol.

edited July 2014

So that is what that "+" is for, lol. Thanks Kadix.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44294/

Now the layout of her studio interface is different from my stock default install (plus a single Activity tab), it is close enough from the looks of it. I'll need to fuss around with this a tad to be sure how exactly it works (same as or different from the regular "Save As" menu). This is a Snapshot from a video of her yet to be released product.

CL_Save_altmenu_vlcsnap-2014-07-29-02h05m42s163.png
    614 x 601 - 95K
    edited July 2014

It looks like the sneakers are going to be more difficult then anything Ive come across so far.

Forgive me for the cynical truth. That UV map distorts all over the place. it is a complete mess with both shews on a single map. I kind of expected there to be at least a couple material zones on the sneakers, not so. The sole, mesh, and body of the sneaker is one solid mesh.

That just is not going to happen without a professional UV map editor of some kind. I'll tinker with it a bit more, tho my expectations are not much better after trying to patron up the Autumn Afternoon Outfit pants (one pant leg went in a completely different shape from the other in the UV map).

(edit)
    Second set of test renders are starting to look good. At least for solid colors.

DazSneakers_textures103red.png
    1089 x 583 - 258K
    DazSneakers101.png
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    edited July 2014

needs more work, tho progress.
    The darker set of shews, I just changed the diffuse color leaving the diffuse-map in place.

The more vibrant one, I dropped the Glossiness slider from 70-something down to 50%, And I changed the Specular Color from 153-gray to 192-gray. I'm beginning to like this.
    (Edit)
    "O" the pink one in the back, is with no Diffuse map, just the plane pink Diffuse color.

DazSneakers01002cam12_001.png
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    DazSneakers01001cam12_001.png
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    edited December 1969

I guess it is good to connect DIM, every now and then. There was an update for Fw Nikki, and some face morph pack.

edited August 2014

In separate news, lol. It looks like the chill has set in, from the bottom of the world, down under down under.
    NZSP, 90.00S 0.0E 2835M
    2014.08.01 1750 UTC
    Wind; from the ESE (110 degrees) at 12 MPH (10 KT)
    Visibility; 4 mile(s)
    Weather; Ice crystals, Mist
    Temperature; -92 F (-69 C)
    Windchill; -133 F (-92 C)

(Edit)
    And to keep this Daz oriented, I have a few items pending I need to check out. And from another store, a new CPU for the workstation, it will need to do until I can make Daz Studio run on an IBM Power8 machine/mainframe, lol.
    I hope I have the spare funds to get "Urban Sprawl" before it is yanked from the store, tho I did grab the "Skyline Hall".
    http://www.daz3d.com/urban-sprawl
    http://www.daz3d.com/skyline-hall
    Stonemason is Culling some older sets, so it be advised to grab them before there gone forever. I know when I look at sets I get brain-cramps over what I would use them for, then later on I'm thinking I wish I got it because it would work in a project.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44429/

I also need to do some test renders regarding comments I read about casting shadows from within a shadow. That just sounds evil that way, "Casting Shadows", lol. I'm not referring to the book, "The Passing of the Techno-Mages, Book 2".

Weather_NZSP_20140801_1750UTC_001.png
    699 x 444 - 83K
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Brrr.. stay warm!

It looks like the sneakers are going to be more difficult then anything Ive come across so far.

Forgive me for the cynical truth. That UV map distorts all over the place. it is a complete mess with both shews on a single map. I kind of expected there to be at least a couple material zones on the sneakers, not so. The sole, mesh, and body of the sneaker is one solid mesh.

Well, they are made by Stonemason (not sure if you knew that SW is his alter-ego?) so we can be sure there will be method in the (apparent) madness. I've noticed in Blacksmith3D that it can recalculate a UV to optimize it for the best seamless painting by the artist. Sounds like something similar here, although probably via some high-end software. The down side is that the end UVs aren't friendly to us end users, and not ideal for splitting into mat zones.

But yeah, changing diffuse is giving you some good variety there.

edited August 2014

Thanks Jindi, this is not the first time I've seen a compression program render a file unusable for anything other then what it was packaged for. I guess that is why I am so spoiled by Wilmap, Everything of hers I've tried to put a patron on, has worked without distorting in weird ways.

Now for LY Presley
    http://www.daz3d.com/ly-presley
    Now I have everything listed in the requirements list.
    Genesis Evolution: Body Morphs
    Aiko 6
    Genesis 2 Female Body Morphs
    Genesis 2 Female Head Morphs
    Genesis Evolution: Head Morphs
    And yet, I guess I did something wrong. This happened when I tried to apply the "00-Texture.duf". I thought G2F was on the V5 UV base???

Whatever this is about, I have a mountain of other stuff to ensure made it into Studio properly, till then.
    (Edit 15Aug2014)
    An update has been made available threw DIM, if not completely updated by now. Thanks Lyoness.

Ly_Presley_CLpath001.png
    1449 x 766 - 56K
    Ly_Presley_Error001.png
    456 x 310 - 6K
    edited August 2014

Archaeopteryx and (G2F7W), test render.

http://www.daz3d.com/wachiwi-native-american-character-outfit-hair-and-poses-bundle
    (Extensively morphed)

ArchaeopteryxDR by Dinoraul (Renderosity)
    http://www.daz3d.com/divinity-skies-rapture-i
    http://www.daz3d.com/easy-environments-top-of-the-world
    http://www.daz3d.com/flirty-summer-for-genesis-2-female-s
    Genesis 2 Female - Mage Armor by Cybrea (sharcg, Arm Bracer's)
    Genesis Female 2 Pants & Top by Wilmap (sharcg, top and patron)

I must have spent thirty minutes looking for the lighting settings for the skydome (top-of-the-world), before I realized there were none loaded with just the skydome, lol. The default light preset for the "Top of the world" scene is a separate item, and leaves plenty of room for additional lights. I used three Uber-panels to light both figures, in addition to the presets (I made no changes to the preset lighting, I just added to it).

Now the "Skies rapture I" is not the best for closeups out of the box, as I found out. With a little extra stone shader work, it may be much better, I didn't do that here.

(EDIT)
    "O" flirty summer for G2F dose NOT come with that patron, I made that in MS Paint.

G2F7W_Archaeo_full010008cam17_001.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 991K
    G2F7W_Archaeo_full010007cam17_001.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 970K
    edited August 2014

One last render of the fella. for now. The dragons in the background brought my computer to it's knees at around 9.2GB out of 16GB ram usage, bottom line I need more if I'm going to do another big scene like that.

So I'm looking at the different things with LAMH (Look At My Hair), and thinking about twisting it if I can into "Look At My Feathers", lol. Yes I want to change the colors of the feathers on this guy a tad (Not that much, just a touch of brown), and I want to put down on the chin of a different Raptor, eventually.

The feathers on the back legs, look like they may need to be posed a bit somehow, another thing to look into, eventually.

In the mean time, I used "DG Shader Essentials 2" to replace the railing texture with something with more detail for closeups. Now I need to apply that to the whole "Divinity Skies Rapture I" tower, and render it to see what it looks like in polished gray stone. As soon as I can figure out how to copy one surface preset to another surface... hmmm.
    http://www.daz3d.com/dg-shader-essentials-2
    http://www.daz3d.com/divinity-skies-rapture-i

The other render angle is in my gallery, under "MiscCoolStuff".
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/34754

(Edit)
    I gave up on trying to save and apply a surface to another. I just wrote down the settings, and applied it to the other sides of the lower part of the tower. Good enough for now.

G2F7W_Archaeo_full020011cam20_001.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 942K
    edited August 2014

Perhaps I had a little to much fun with the “DG Shader Essentials 2”, or just fussing with camera angles, lol.

This is just Progressive Scan renders to give a hint of what the tower looks like inn a different stone.
    notes;
    I did scale the tower down a tad, to originally get the railing the correct height for my former project, then left it.
    I didn't bother resizing or moving the skydome, so the distortion there is just that, wrong angles in the skydome.

G2F7W_Archaeo_tower030001_ps005.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 365K
    G2F7W_Archaeo_tower030001_ps004.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 687K
    G2F7W_Archaeo_tower030001_ps002.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 720K
    G2F7W_Archaeo_tower030001_ps001.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 816K
    edited December 1969

A quick screen cap to show what I was referring to copying surface settings. Or better yet, saving them, so they could be applied to any surface (part / panel / section / whatever)

In the screen cap, "low_wall_s3" was set up, and the other three had yet to be done. The attempt to save the panel, only let it be called up on that one surface. The other three stayed the same.

Been a long night, chat later y'all.

SurfacePartal001.png
    1233 x 695 - 588K
    edited December 1969

Perhaps I had a little to much fun with the “DG Shader Essentials 2”, or just fussing with camera angles, lol.

Aw, thanks! :red:
    To be honest, I don't think I ever tried them on something that big before. Looks good.

OK, it has been a long day and I'm probably missing something obvious, so please forgive me if this question is completely stupid. If you are using a shader for the surfaces, why do you need to copy the surface settings from one group to another? Couldn't you just apply the same shader to all the surfaces at one time?
    Again, apologies if that was completely daft.

Typically, if you get a generic surface set up the way you want it, you can save it as a shader preset and then you can apply it to whatever you want. It will collect all the maps and surface parameters at one time and can be re-used on anything.