ZDG random Daz Studio discoveries and questions.

Comments

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited August 2014

Yes, It looked good on the railing for the one set of renders, then after that I backed off, and, wow. set the tiling to 5, and that was impressive.

I'm deathly afraid of baking the new CPU at this instant, the compound is still settling. Otherwise I'd take a few screen-caps of the save option boxes.

I tried "Save shader preset" it it just kept complaining about a surface not selected, even tho it was, lol.
    The other one would save it, "Material Preset" I think.

In short, it gives me some check-boxes for what surface to save, and when I bring it back up, it will only apply the settings to that one surface.

I clearly have no clue what to click where, lol.

(edit)
    I was going for a "High-Strength Concrete" look, and I think that shader nailed it.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited August 2014

When you save as a shader preset it wants you to have one, and only one, material group selected when you save it. In your example above, if you have DSRI_Low_Sec selected in the surfaces tab, you will get the error message. If you only have low_wall_s3 selected, it should work fine. A material preset is usually used when you are creating alternate textures for a specific item like clothing or character skins, and it will only work when applied to that particular item.

Post edited by DestinysGarden on
    edited December 1969

So in my fumbling, I was indeed trying to use the one incorrectly, and the other for the wrong thing, lol.
    I was trying to copy the swimsuit setting from one to the other, and then applied that goof-up to this, lol.

Shader preset, with just one surface selected, not many, lol.

Material Preset for many surfaces, and the surface names must match when applied to another item?

BRB, need to thermal cycle the workstation. (no rush, I'll give it a try as soon as the Core temps match each-other)

edited December 1969

Xiao Mei, Dreaming on top of the world.
    First test render with the 8-core CPU. Sorry no shader work, just a little posing, and render.

Skydome 2, Lights, and mountain top, from "Easy Environments Top of the World".
    http://www.daz3d.com/easy-environments-top-of-the-world

Xiao Mei, and dress from the "Xiao Mei Bundle"
    http://www.daz3d.com/xiao-mei-bundle

Jenny Hair, Janna Hair for Genesis 2 Female(s) and Victoria 4 (Part of the Aiko 6 starter bundle)
    http://www.daz3d.com/janna-hair-for-genesis-2-female-s-and-victoria-4

and the beach flip-flops from "Casual Surf Wear for Genesis" I think.
    http://www.daz3d.com/casual-surf-wear-for-genesis

XiaoMei_TopOfTheWorld002_001.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    edited July 2015

Thanks DestinysGarden.

In the screen-cap there is the other one that didn't work, the "Material(s)" one.
    So after doing the save "Shader Preset" file name bit, I was greeted with the settings box, then it was done.
    I guess most stuff saved appears in the "Unassigned" category in the smart tab.

I've wanted to make some color presets to bundle with the Work stools pack I made a while back. Now that I have a clue about the difference between a "Material Preset", and a "Shader Preset"

Granted it will be nothing other then diffuse colors (no maps), and reflection slider settings, so I don't think I need anything more then the duf files for that (plus the work stool directories)?

"1940s style Machine Shop Stool, Test4. DazStudio." at sharecg.
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/76494/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/1940s-style-Machine-Shop-Stool-v4.1-DazStudio.
    (Edited link 2015Jul01)
    Revised Stool, and included some color presets.

zdgStools01AnyColor007_001lbl1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 127K
    DazStudio_SaveShaderPreset101_LoadLocation1.png
    1256 x 800 - 132K
    DazStudio_SaveShaderPreset101.png
    1260 x 806 - 132K
    edited August 2014

In separate news, there is an update for Fw Yasmin V4 Ps.

I noticed a pac, akin to a habit I've tried to quit a few times over the past fourteen years, and failed. It may be "Cool" or whatever when your young, however it dose ketch up to you when your older. Some things are just better off not getting into to begin with, it will save you a lot of troubles later on in life. I'll just leave that at that, for the next bit.

http://www.daz3d.com/vapor-pens-and-hooka
    There are so many different types and shapes of "Vaping" devices, it would not be fair to ask any PA to pack them all into a single pack. I have a few of the E-go things that look like the pens in that pack. Tho I noticed no slimmer units, like the one that I have (teeth marks on the mouth piece and all).

Some condemn the vapor devices, considering what I have been threw, the alternative is worse. Especially considering I can't turn back time an not started smoking to begin with. I don't care how old you are, if you haven't started smoking, don't start.

Vape_Pack001r.png
    866 x 526 - 165K
    Esig_slim001small001.jpg
    450 x 100 - 37K
    FwYasmin_Update20140806.png
    654 x 648 - 26K
  • AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

What's going on Z ? Stoppin in to say hi, took a short vacation. Cool to see, your having a wonderful time with DS. I'll have to catch up on your thread. Have fun !

edited December 1969

I grabbed the stools. They are very cool and will be useful. Here is a render test I did with them. The surfaces are from my Shader Essentials (leather tops) and InaneGlory's Lights and Lamps 2 (metallics) and a new environment light set InaneGlory is working on. Lots of potential for customization on the stools and they loaded up and rendered with no issues.

stools.png
    650 x 600 - 481K
    edited December 1969

Blue screen glitch, lol. Not finished, tho the lighting test render was funny. Just going for a little stroll, hay.

Hello awesomefb, just fooling around with some stuff purchased the past few months. Mostly trying to combine interior and exterior lights into a single scene. Times when Ray-trace is so useful.

Thanks DestinysGarden, one of the few things I think a lot of people think of, is letting some one know something works. I guess I can truncate the "Test" from that now. The render of your shaders looks good.

I'm going to get back to working on this set by stonemason, that I wish there were more bits to accompany it (for a ship or city). So much to do, and not much time, tho that is always how it is, isn't it.

SkywalkShip001012bluescreenerror1_lol.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 212K
    edited December 1969

Hey, no problem. I figured since you had the word "test" in the title that you might appreciate the feedback on functionality.
    cheers!

edited December 1969

Thanks DestinysGarden. I started playing around with the shader pack, and noticed an odd reflection distortion.

The foundation for the patio and greenhouse, looks good and all. I didn't do much at all other then create the primitive, then apply the shader preset to it, and walla. It works well for not-of-this-world scene, lol.

So hopefully without any more distractions outside of Daz3d, I hope to go threw the rest of the many options in this pack to see what there all about. There is alot more there then just gray stone, and purple marble (used on the Rapter sky's planters).
    http://www.daz3d.com/dg-shader-essentials-2
    Then I would like to look at adding bones to skirts, to make them more dance-friendly. No promises I can figure that out tonight, the shader pack seams quite extensive.

AlienGuarden01003_fq001.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 707K
    edited December 1969

That is a strange reflection. How many divisions do you have on the primitive?

edited August 2014

one I think, I didn't give that a thought at all when I made the 'Primitive'. Everything else has many wires in wire-frame view, that slab (cube) only has the corners.

I bet it has something to do with angles, or other settings somewhere off in the Luminiferous aether. I didn't give it much thought, as the railing in the other set had perfect reflections of the sky, and dragons.
    (edit)
    I used "Polished Sandstone 09" this time, figured that distorting was for pottery or something. It really is cool, I didn't know reflections could do that.
    (edit2)
    It may be because the X and Y scaling is not the same.

AlienGuarden_01003_ShaderUsed001.png
    1181 x 809 - 52K
    AlienGuarden_01003_Wireframe_Partial002.png
    1492 x 723 - 202K
    edited August 2014

well, not a square vs rectangle thing, it was worth a try. It may be that setting at 180 degrees, whatever that is. It's something stupid, I'm not going to loose sleep over that distortion coolness in the reflection.
    (Edit)
    That's exactly what it was, the "Angle" in the surface settings. set it back to default (98.90) and presto. Now that is cool, I can change the curvature of spacetime in an object's refection, lol.

AlienGuarden01005_89degreeAngle001.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 445K
    AlienGuarden01005_Square001.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 416K
    edited December 1969

Having more fun with the "DG Shader Essentials 2" pack. The entire building, patio, and everything on the patio was resurfaced with stuff from the one pack.

the island, plants, and water are all original, Sea Scapes (without the temple).
    http://www.daz3d.com/sea-scapes

Been a long night, and I still have lots more I can do with this scene. I need to get some shuteye tho, so till later y'all.

AlienGuarden01019cam3_001.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited December 1969

I'm glad you got the distorted reflection sorted out. Glad you are having fun with the shaders. Check your PM's. ;-)

edited August 2014

Thanks so much DestinysGarden. I will get to that shortly now, as I almost have most of the finished "Super Simple" patrons uploaded. Here are two more renders I wanted to post, before I started falling asleep at the keyboard yesterday. To hopefully show off some of the potential of the surface textures and stuff.
    (edit)
    let me put that tire stone thing under different lights, that shadow dose not look correct at all, and I suspect it is an artifact of light samples or something.
    (Edit2)
    Yep, it's the lights, or the camera distance with the tire polygons. Solo render test room looks superb, with lots of detail.

StoneTire001.jpg
    900 x 900 - 472K
    AlienGuarden01019cam5_001.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    AlienGuarden01019cam4_001.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    edited August 2014

My cinsearest apologies for not posting anything here this week, been quite busy elsewhere. And I have much to do non Daz related as well.

For Daz, I have some stuff on my plate still. Finishing the Sneaker color presets, Shadow in a shadow tests, LED lights (With Studio stock shaders and lights), and the rest of the DG shader stuff. I'm obviously not going to get to all of that today, especially considering the mess Mission Control is in right now, it is beyond a mess, it's in the middle of a construction scene, lol. Tho I do have some good pictures of the various lights around here before moving in the Bethlehem Desk. So I can compare the renderd results to how the real LED, Incandescent, and florescent lights look. And for comparison, My father and Grandfather with the sun behind them, again for light comparisons.

The Bethlehem Desk, is obviously in place and completely up and running now (I'm using it right now), it's the other work stations that are still piled around me right now. At least that cafeteria table the three monitors were on, is out of here now, that pic was from moving stuff around. I'm to embarrassed to take any more pictures of the place, till I clean the place up, allot.

LightsNewMCC_IMG_4967hs.jpg
    1536 x 1152 - 309K
    LightsAllen_DayWindow_IMG_0515.jpg
    1536 x 1152 - 251K
    Lights_IMG_7359hs.jpg
    1536 x 1152 - 473K
    Lights_IMG_7354hs.jpg
    1536 x 1152 - 369K
    Lights_IMG_7312hs.jpg
    1536 x 1152 - 298K
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

Hey, is that foil sheet for the aliens?

Cause I just where a little foil hat, its much more practical. :-P

edited August 2014

Not very Fashion-Designer agreeable of me isn't it, lol. The 'Foil' on the ceiling was to get light out across the room from the one 12vdc light, it is still there. The "Space Blankets" on the walls has since been replaced with fresh insulation IN the walls, That was an eventful year now I think of it, lol.

I've been buisy, lol. New walls, new deck, new desk, new speaker stands for my MR5mk2 speakers, New guts for my workstation (twice now), new engine in my Jeep. And I still find time somewhere for Daz Studio, lol.

edited August 2014

Shadow in a shadow, part1. Well I've tried 50/50, 25/75, and 75/25 light intensity levels. All three intensity levels produce a shadow, within another shadow. Now I need to rearrange this scene, to place one light in the shadow of the other.
    (EDIT)
    I'm not going to waste the space in this thread to post multiple light-angles of the same thing. Even with the DzSpotlights in perfect alignment with each-other, shadows are still cats correctly. The only time a light dose not cast a shadow, is when the shadow setting is turned off (Either in the light settings, or the object parameters). It is important to remember, some lights default to "No" shadow, and if the light is to dim or soft it will not cast much of a perceptible shadow at all.

On to something else that has nagged me for a while, I should do a an all out scene render for that.

LightShadow02001_001.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 75K
    LightShadow01001_003.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 110K
    LightShadow01001_002.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 104K
    LightShadow01001_001.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 107K
  • mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited August 2014

Shadow in a shadow, part1. Well I've tried 50/50, 25/75, and 75/25 light intensity levels. All three intensity levels produce a shadow, within another shadow. Now I need to rearrange this scene, to place one light in the shadow of the other.
    (EDIT)
    I'm not going to waste the space in this thread to post multiple light-angles of the same thing. Even with the DzSpotlights in perfect alignment with each-other, shadows are still cats correctly. The only time a light dose not cast a shadow, is when the shadow setting is turned off (Either in the light settings, or the object parameters). It is important to remember, some lights default to "No" shadow, and if the light is to dim or soft it will not cast much of a perceptible shadow at all.

On to something else that has nagged me for a while, I should do a an all out scene render for that.

You can use shadow softness on the fill light to make the shadow of your fill light very soft. If you are using DAZ default spot lights, the shadow softness scale seems to be completely different than for the point and distant lights. With default spot light you need to use really large softness values, like 1000% or 2000%.

Post edited by mark128 on
    edited December 1969

I kind of noticed that when I was starting to play with the Uber lights. I'm still not sure what produces nicer soft shadows, tho this was about what I had read in a Punk competition thread. People standing in a shadow of a building wont cast shadows from other lights, had me scratching my head. I know I had the occasional hand casting a shadow on someone else in test renders. So I figured I'd give the theory a good testing. I tried that little test with the Menu spot lights, and the DzSpot lights, with the same results regarding the shadows.

With ray-trace shadows set on ALL lights, 3Delight has no issues casting proper shadows for All lights and objects in a scene.

edited December 1969

Fwsa Wachiwi, there is two of them? lol.
    http://www.daz3d.com/fwsa-wachiwi
    It looks like the description has been improved since my perches some months ago.

The one on the left is shape and face 1, then shape and face 2 to her right. the two on the left is with the default V6 shape dialed in, the two on the right is with V6 shape at 0%.

The outfits were purchased later on, in the bundle.
    http://www.daz3d.com/wachiwi-native-american-character-outfit-hair-and-poses-bundle

FwsaWachiwi_ShapingSliders2_001.png
    621 x 340 - 26K
    FwsaWachiwi_ShapingSliders1_001.png
    474 x 444 - 76K
    FwsaWachiwiLineup01003.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 812K
  • mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

I kind of noticed that when I was starting to play with the Uber lights. I'm still not sure what produces nicer soft shadows, tho this was about what I had read in a Punk competition thread. People standing in a shadow of a building wont cast shadows from other lights, had me scratching my head. I know I had the occasional hand casting a shadow on someone else in test renders. So I figured I'd give the theory a good testing. I tried that little test with the Menu spot lights, and the DzSpot lights, with the same results regarding the shadows.

With ray-trace shadows set on ALL lights, 3Delight has no issues casting proper shadows for All lights and objects in a scene.

If you want to simulate ambient light similar to what you get in the shade of a building in DAZ Studio you need to use one of the global or ambient lights like UberEnvironment2 or the Advanced Ambient light.

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

What's going on Z, what are you building ? mission control for Nasa, Lol ! j/k. Your work station setup would be perfect for my flight simulator game. Cool, what your sharing. Do you have the fog deluxe III effect ? Would like to get some feeback on fog. Would look neat in some of my scenes. Take it easy bud :)

edited August 2014

lol, I often call it "Mission Control" mostly because SFOF doesn't roll off the tong as well, and most people have no clue what "Space Flight Operations Facility" is, lol. Now granted I usually have a feed from SWPC, SOHO, and DSN,
    http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/today.html
    http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime-images.html
    http://deepspace.jpl.nasa.gov/dsnnow/
    I'm not actually controlling anything, lol.

I don't have fog deluxe III effect. Unless that is what came with Sea Scapes, I have yet to fuss with the fog there much.
    http://www.daz3d.com/sea-scapes
    The set comes with three color of horizon fog color presets, and aside from changing the horizon color, I didn't notice much else. I didn't even attempt to put it threw it's paces, "cool colors way out there, now where is the lights" was the extent of it.

SFOF_IMG_00000007.jpg
    1600 x 899 - 181K
    edited August 2014

Saving shoes color presets, when they load as two separate things? I don't even know if it can be done, tho if I need to save it as separate presets, that is not much of a problem.

I just need to read threw the past couple of pages of posts to try to remember where I was, this week has been rather hectic and the sticky-notes are not much help, lol.
    (edit)
    it looks like the same preset works for either shoe, tho will it still work that way for "Material Preset". time to do some fumbling around.

DazStudio_shoesColorSave_02001.png
    1281 x 976 - 209K
    DazStudio_shoesColorSave_01001.png
    1281 x 695 - 180K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

just stopped by to see what your up to Z

edited August 2014

hello, I'm just mostly costing threw the end of the month at this point. Working threw a laundry list of stuff I wanted to do weeks ago, lol.

O.K. as for the shoes color presets, apparently if I only select one of the shoes when saving the material preset, it will only show in the smart tab for that shoe, even tho it will work for both of them (from the content library). something to keep notes of for the future. much more testing to do still.