ZDG random Daz Studio discoveries and questions.

Comments

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited August 2014

Changing hair styles using Opacity maps doesn't always work I guess, lol.
    http://www.daz3d.com/persephone-hair-for-genesis-2-female-s

The screen-caps are of the only two layers that needed editing to make the front strands disappear. Yet the highlights, gloss, or whatever is still there??? I thought Opacity got rid of ALL of that stuff. Hmmm.

Also used; Stands made from simple gray primitives.
    http://www.daz3d.com/fw-eve
    http://www.daz3d.com/kiriko-outfit
    http://www.daz3d.com/serena-show-girl-for-genesis-2-female-s
    (dancing outfit bracelets)
    HMHM hair by Rad Viper
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/65755/gallery/11/poser/hmhm-hair-and-mghm-hair-for-v4-a4

Persephone_Mask201.png
    532 x 480 - 68K
    Persephone_Mask101.png
    539 x 487 - 60K
    FwEveBadhair2_003cam11_001.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 926K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited December 1969

Joke of the day (JOTD). The store search for anything after generation 5, they must be doing something to the servers, lol.

Do I have ALL the Olympia 6, add on figures? Let me try a search and see, hmmm.

DazStore_O6_SearchFail_001.png
    997 x 1171 - 913K
    edited August 2014

As I try to get the first cup of coffee into my brain, without getting the coffee on me this morning. lol.

I suspect the last thing needed to get the hair strands to disappear completely, has to do with the specular settings. I am just baffled as to Why the map is there twice, and have doubts that the preset will work for all the color presets without messing things up.

I also need to get some screen-caps to explain how I got to this point, I forgot about that, sorry.

Persephone_Mask101Spec1lbl1.png
    533 x 455 - 29K
    edited August 2014

Using an Opacity map to change hair style, Intro.

Not all hair styles allow this method, as there is two fundamental ways to divide up a map. One involves using the same map section for all of a single layer, and the other uses different sections of the map for different strand sections. If the item uses a single map section for each of all of one layer (It is copied to each part), this method will not work. It will take a geometry editor (like z-brush, Blender, Silo, etc) to change/move/remove the polygons.

Case and point. Charm Hair uses the same two map sections for all of each layer. so making a strand opaque, will only remove that entire layer, not parts of each layer.

Now if the item uses a different part of the map, for different polygon sections, we can do this.

Thankfully, the test is not that difficult. Load a color preset on to the item, find the Opacity map, load that map into MsPaint, and replace the sections with solid colors (see attached pic). Now save that as a 24bit BMP with a different name, in the items map folder (so it is easy to find in the surface tab).

Now go back to Daz Studio, adjust the opacity of ALL the other layers to 0%, and load the new map into the diffuse channel. You will instantly see what map parts go where for that layer. Then repeat this paragraph for each successive layer, until you have figured out what goes where.

Then Open the Opacity map in MsPaint, set the background color to Black, and cut out the parts you don't want. Then save that map with the layer name in the file name. You may also need to do this with the Specular map as well.

My apologies for the abbreviated run threw, I hope the screen-caps can fill in most gaps.

Map_Masking_Hair_101_Making_The_Test_Mask_In_MsPaint_Example_Only.png
    385 x 455 - 26K
    Map_Masking_Hair_NoGo_101.png
    1385 x 695 - 184K
    Map_Masking_Hair_101.png
    1385 x 695 - 242K
    edited August 2014

The last edits to the Persephone hair.

The surface tab dose funny things, I've noticed. Ambient wont glow, if them pixels are black in the diffuse channel. And apparently Specular ignores the Opacity channel at times.

So here are some screen-caps of the last bit of editing to the style.

I went into the Content Library, and used the "+" thing to save a "Materials preset". The checked boxes should allow this to be applied to any color preset, after the color has been applied.
    (edit)
    This save "Materials preset" may provide a permanent fix for the Braids Gone malfunction with the Wachiwi Hair Extra pack. I'll go find that thread now and tie it in real quick.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/39542/

Persephone_Mask_SavePath301lbl4.png
    1468 x 852 - 212K
    Persephone_Mask_SaveSettings301.png
    274 x 716 - 18K
    Persephone_Mask101Spec2c.png
    615 x 456 - 308K
    Persephone_Mask101Spec2b.png
    533 x 565 - 73K
    Persephone_Mask101Spec2a.png
    543 x 576 - 65K
    edited August 2014

Wachiwi braids fix, for real. 101. 1 of 3

I'm going to add to this, as I want a complete and permanent fix.

mark128 said:
    I see the same problem. I think there is something wrong with the "Hide Braids" preset.

I know I used Wachiwi hair once without the braids, and I found the problem then, but didn't open a ticket on it.

The work around is to use opacity to hide the braids.

Select the Wachiwi hair and go to the Surface tab. Select the four named sections: Braid1, Braid2, Braid3 and Tails as shown in the first image below. Find the Opacity Strength setting. Change it from 100% to 0%, then the braids will disappear as shown in the second image.

Update: If it is not completely clear, you Ctrl-Click on surfaces to add them to the selection.

I'm sure other have found this problem too. There might be an open ticket on it, but it is so easy to work around I suspect most people were like me and didn't bother to open a ticket. Changing the opacity to zero on those four surface zones is what that the preset should have done.

Thanks Mark128
    (edit)
    I notice that when I select the "Tails" after highlighting the braids, Everything highlights. So highlight and opacity out the three braids first, then do the tails separately.
    Wachiwi_2_labled1.jpg
    1309 x 912 - 402K
    Wachiwi_1_labled1.jpg
    1308 x 907 - 418K
    edited August 2014

Wachiwi braids fix, for real. 101. 2 of 3

Removing the other maps that are not needed to save ram.

Also slide the Specular strength to 0%
    Just left click the little square with the pic thing, and select "none" in the menu that popes up.
    Do this for ALL maps in the Braid1 Braid2 Braid3 and Tails layers.

Wachiwi_3_Spec_and_NoMaps_lbl2.png
    1080 x 999 - 161K
    edited August 2014

Wachiwi braids fix, for real. 101. 3 of 3

Saving the preset, so it will actually work. The most critical part when saving ANY preset, is selecting ONLY the stuff you want the preset to modify. I've made the mistake in the past of just blindly clicking next, with less then desirable results, lol.

Wachiwi_4_Save_103c_Calosh1_002lbl3.png
    1568 x 756 - 73K
    Wachiwi_4_Save_103_lbl1.png
    1609 x 629 - 95K
    edited August 2014

Wachiwi Braids Gone Use.

a) load the hair on to the figure the usual way. Then use the Fit Cap thing.
    b) Apply the color preset of choice.
    c) apply the braids gone fixed preset.

Then have fun.

Wachiwi_5_Using_101c_lbl1.png
    1215 x 798 - 161K
    Wachiwi_5_Using_101b_lbl1.png
    1215 x 798 - 257K
    Wachiwi_5_Using_101a_lbl1.png
    1215 x 798 - 143K
    edited December 1969

Wilmap has her sight up, and a new dress for G2F. both are looking quite good.
    https://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/

I wish I could say as much for my lacking lighting with the test render. The line on the sleeve is the lighting, not the dress. Perhaps after I bring mom to the store, I'll get a chance to fix this and figure out that Uber Surface light thing.

In separate news, the earthquake in Napa California seemed rather bad, I hope all is well there.

2014_quake_001.png
    489 x 540 - 340K
    Wilmap_VintageStyleDress_FwEve002_UE2_001.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 774K
    edited August 2014

Not much today, other then messing with an idea. a geometrical puzzle of sorts. How far can I push them Daz Studio primitives.

Also in the past few days there was an update for the Morphing Fantasy Dress G2F, and the Temple of the pharaohs. I had picked up the Temple of the pharaohs some time ago, so I suppose this is a major update to that.

I'm kind of hoping there will be a fix for Aria eventually, assuming they were able to figure out what eye presets were supposed to go with her mat (other then Stephanie 6).
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45518/

I'm off to mess with some shaders now, till then...
    (edit)
    I got a message just after hitting 'Post', tech was contacting OzyChick regarding Aria. Hopefully a fix will filter threw without to much hassle for the PA.

20140827_DIM_Updates001crop1.png
    648 x 356 - 19K
    SoundWall001.png
    932 x 695 - 79K
    edited December 1969

yep, this is a good morning to look at the goofy annoyances around here. I started my morning by removing the firewall-bypass-cable to do some basic maintenance. With the browser reconfigured so I could watch Weird Al vids, I started a backup. Oops, do I need a backup of the My Daz3D Library content, when ALL the install zips have already been backed up on CDs, lol. Eh, whatever, just let it go.

Then I went to upload the funny oops to this thread, and wow. Apparently sometime in the past few months, the Daz3D site stopped working threw the firewall. YouTube is working, and Google, just not the daz site??? Now it can't be something like they started using a bad tracking service or other site in the Host block list on the firewall, as the site dose kind of load there. however the site is probably using java or flash, that is not installed on the firewall PC. So the firewall can access the Daz3D site, just none of the computers behind it.

Haz Daz3D become another Steam, that only works on unprotected computers? Must your workstation be brought to a crawl by protection software, just so you can safely access the Daz3D site with DIM. I don't think so. I want to use my workstation, not give some one else a tool to do evil.

I think this whole "cloud" mentality and connected all the time society, is stepping ever closer to a complete inability to adequately function without being wide open to people with vicious intent. People that know better, are constantly having the tools to protect them self's taken away from them by people that think there old fashioned or just quaint. Printer-sharing on IPX/SPX replaced with a unified TCP only infrastructure required by Microsoft, Websites refusing connections threw firewalls requiring Private LANs to be directly connected to the internet. What is to keep someone else from using my printer without permission these days, NOTHING.

This is My house, This is My computer, and I don't want you in my house unless you have been invited, and I don't want you on my computer in my house unless I have given you explicit permission to.

Daz3D_site_OnFirewall001_Crop1.png
    1024 x 640 - 62K
    Daz3D_Threw_Firewall001.png
    701 x 450 - 34K
    BackupOops_Daz3D_001Crop1.png
    1230 x 507 - 86K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

I'm not having any trouble with the DAZ site through my router's firewall. You do need to allow googleapis.com as a script, if you have a script blocker, and the site does use Cloudflare, so you may need to allow its IPs if you are filtering by IP.

edited August 2014

I was out helping mom today, sorry I was not around.

lol, you know I use to brag "I don't know how to properly shut down my BSD boxes, because I've never needed to". Well you know it is bad, when you cant remember your password, lol.

I don't remember how tripwire treats DOS detection for it's IP block-list, I'm just happy it is there, as I have had floods of log entries of someone in the past looking for a remote windows desktop. hmmm, nope, not installed on the BSD boxes, your not going to get one of them here. There is packet inspection as well, tho it seams to have not done much at all the past two years at least, probably because of the non-allowed ports threw the proxy.

As for the firewall config,
    There is a host-list, from "There's no place like 127.0.0.1". http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
    That's blanket for my entire site.
    The seti boxes are explicitly allowed port 80 & 21 to Berkeley (BOINC), NOAA, NASA, and ESA. And nothing else.
    My work stations are allowed more lax ports, for streaming vid and di.fm. However remote desktop ports, and that obnoxious 'Messenger' port are blocked. Allowed 21, 23, 80, 119, 1080 (v4), 1090.

I am not seeing "CloudFlare" or "googleapis" in that host list, so I don't think it is blocked by domain name, and it is not in the DOS log by IP. Hmmm.
    (edit)
    To be fair, Daz is not the only site in the past year to spontaneously stop working. The config of the proxy has not changed in 14 years, and the sites did not stop working at the same time. So I'm sure it is a config change at the other end that dose not allow traffic from a proxy, or wants other ports.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

The only issue that I have with the Daz Website is I cannot log into Daz3d.com using old Internet Explorer 6 or Chrome using Windows XP service pack 2. I can use Firefox 31 without any problems.

edited December 1969

This morning I decided to tackle a major hindrance to my work flow.

I have already resized each of these windows to the proportions I want, I don't want windows changing them on me without randomly.

When I move a window from one spot to another, it starts trying to resize it's self in all kinds of directions. Moving a window from one monitor to another is worse, as I can't just drag it from here to there, I need to make a detour to the center of the other monitor first. And somewhere around forty pixels of the outer edge of my screen is a no-go-zone for any window. Even ones I can't make bigger get full-screened in this zone some how, when dragged into this zone.

I want MY desktop back, I want ALL of my desktop back. I want to "Overlap" windows as I see fit, not how some one else thinks All windows should be resized.

For Windows 7. Disable "Aero Snap".
    1 Go to Control Panel.
    2 Click on "Ease of Access" link or "Ease of Access Center" icon.
    3 Select "Change how your mouse works" or "Make the mouse easier to use" option.
    4 Tick the check box for "Prevent Windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen" with the mouse under “Make it easier to manage windows” section.
    5 Click OK or Apply to make the change effective.

I can now drag small windows (like winamp and "flmsg") to the edge of the screen without them going haywire.

disable-aero-snap_lbl1.png
    861 x 721 - 25K
    edited September 2014

I have not been idle the past few days, it's just been hectic. I still have a mountain of stuff I need to do, tho I did find a few minutes to sketch out an idea. A SSD adapter tray, that actually acts as a heat-sink for the drive. So many adapters I've seen of late with beautiful heat dissipation capabilities, and yet they are all designed with stand-offs to keep the SSD from having a good thermal connection to the adapter, really.

A simple 4x5 inch (0.025" thick) copper sheet with four holes in it as far better then all them other things, however the copper sheet can be improved with fins, somehow.

P.S, the Drive units in the render are the same things in my computer, just not quite that many of them, yet.

Comp_HDDtest011cam14_001.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 990K
    HDDSSDrack001009crop0.png
    609 x 468 - 5K
    edited September 2014

No disrespect intended at all from a n00b still figuring out the Daz Studio interface. Luxrender costs money, there is stuff on sail now I must have. Luxrender requires additional surface settings and maps for allot of stuff to look correct, I'm still working out the basics of primitives (forget about Uber/AoA/etc).

I will try Luxrender eventually (not this year, I am to new), however I am sold on 3Delight for one reason alone... It's resume.
    http://www.3delight.com/en/index.php/projects

The answers are out there for real looking desk lamps, trees, buildings, etc, I just need to pry them from the minds of Pixar, IL&M, Weta Digital, Steven Gilmore (TSFH), etc.

I have yet to hear of one movie, Luxrender was used in, I really would like to know if there is any? A comprehensive resume (like 3Delight's) instead of individual mentioning here and there would be nice. Is there any such listing at all?
    (edit)
    can I even run Luxrender on a Rocks cluster, like I can with 3delight?
    http://www.rocksclusters.org/

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited September 2014

No disrespect intended at all from a n00b still figuring out the Daz Studio interface. Luxrender costs money, there is stuff on sail now I must have. Luxrender requires additional surface settings and maps for allot of stuff to look correct, I'm still working out the basics of primitives (forget about Uber/AoA/etc). ...

Luxrender is an Open Source Project, like Blender and Gimp. The Luxrender is free. But you need a PlugIn to convert your scene from DAZ Studio over to Luxrender. There are two possible PlugIns, Reality and Luxus. Both PlugIns are not free! ;-)

Don´t know what the Rockcluster exactly is doing for 3Delight, but you have the possibility of network rendering in Luxrender. -> http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Network_rendering

Post edited by MN-150374 on
    edited December 1969

I keep getting poked and prodded to use "Reality" and keep thinking of that as Luxrender, hmmm. Also it is good to know about the networking capabilities of Luxrender. As for Rocks, I have a cluster up and running in the other room, for SPICE (electronics simulation). I have yet to do anything else with that system, aside from running BOINC on it when I'm not doing simulations.

edited September 2014

Well, those DestinysGarden Shader Essentials you tried a few pages ago are optimized for Luxus. ;-)

I´m far away from poking you in any direction. But Luxus uses the DAZ Studio Surfaces pane to set up the materials and is capable of transfering the DAZ Studio lights directly. So there are some advantages in using Luxus. ;-)

But I also agree to your point, there is still much to discover in DAZ Studio and 3Delight. And there is still a way to go before we achieve Pixar Quality. :-)

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited September 2014

Reality and Luxus are both bridges to get your DS scene into LuxRender. Luxrender is free but the plugins (bridges) are the cost. Both Reality and Luxus have pros and cons and large user bases willing to assist. Basically, to not start an app war, both are great at the what they do. The best one is always the one that works best for you.
    I prefer Luxus http://www.daz3d.com/luxus for a few reason. It costs less, it is here in the DAZ store, and for my workflow, it is easier to save custom settings. The biggest reason why I prefer it is because it is possible to save Luxus material settings directly in the DAZ Studio DUF file. One DUF can cover both. DS will ignore the LuxRender stuff and Luxus will grab the LuxRender stuff if it is present. It's pretty slick.

(Thanks MN-I didn't mention that because I was trying to be humble, lol.)

Post edited by DestinysGarden on
    edited September 2014

wow, I really got sucked into the Jedi project.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/674359/

Good to know stuff MN-150374, and DestinysGarden. I vaguely remember something about one of the render engine interfaces being able to access a few different engines. Someday I'll get there.

My dilemma at the moment is that my brain is already mush, lol. And I have well over 109 things to pass threw DIM from the past few days. And I have three shader packs to put threw there paces. At least I got the Stonemason sets before they vanished off the face of the earth, lol.

DG Shader Essentials 1, Strange Substances, and Amazing skins for G2.
    http://www.daz3d.com/strange-substances-pack-1
    http://www.daz3d.com/amazing-skins-for-genesis-2-bundle
    http://www.daz3d.com/dg-shader-essentials

And now I need to remember how to tell DIM to ignore that Strange Substances MP4, so it can go on a heard drive that DIM dose not use. I don't put vids there, they have there own set of drives. I know it's something simple, I'm just surprised that DIM deals with vids as much as there is one for Strange Substances.

On that note, where dose DIM put vids? Or dose it just download a zip into the Luminiferous aether somewhere and let the user figure that out?
    (Edit)
    I just let it instal, then uninstalled the thing, leaving the zip in the "Ready to install" tab. Good enough. Chat later y'all, I need sleep.

DIM_StrangeSubstanceVid001.png
    654 x 527 - 29K
    edited September 2014

Well speaking of vids, this is one product it would be nice to see a vid of each of the sliders demonstrated. Oona Hair, has a tone of Actor sliders. I'll look for something on that later, at least the hide stuff utilities appear legible, and no Errors so far.

I also have to figure out where Raiya EleneHD and gypsyangel Parisa went. And that was just the first ten of 109 packs. This is going to be a long day.
    (EDIT)
    O.K. yet more figures that need multiple parts loaded to get somewhere, lol.

Raiya_EleneHD_CLpath1.png
    1285 x 573 - 44K
    GYA_Parisa_CLpath001.png
    1253 x 640 - 51K
    OonaHair_Actor_Sliders102.png
    1854 x 650 - 662K
    OonaHair_Actor_Sliders002.png
    1863 x 663 - 607K
    edited December 1969

I have no idea what the "00a-morphs.duf" is all about, or what it is supposed to do. Attempting to use that to load the Parisa shape onto the G2F base just kicks up an error window indicating an explanation is in a log somewhere. I'm guessing that is for the shape sliders, not a shape apply.

"00b-Parisa-body-v6.duf", "00b-Parisa-face.duf" applies the shape, and "00e-Parisa-basemat.duf" the skin texture.

GYA_Parisa_LoadStuff001lbl1.png
    1895 x 916 - 449K
    edited September 2014

... And now I need to remember how to tell DIM to ignore that Strange Substances MP4, so it can go on a heard drive that DIM dose not use. I don't put vids there, they have there own set of drives. I know it's something simple, I'm just surprised that DIM deals with vids as much as there is one for Strange Substances.

On that note, where dose DIM put vids? Or dose it just download a zip into the Luminiferous aether somewhere and let the user figure that out?
    (Edit)
    I just let it instal, then uninstalled the thing, leaving the zip in the "Ready to install" tab. Good enough. Chat later y'all, I need sleep.

You will find detailed descriptions for new products in the Documentation Center: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/19675/start

According to the file list, the .mp4 is located under: /DimensionTheory/Strange Substances/StrangeSubstancesTutorial.mp4

Or in DIM after the product is installed, go to the Installed Tab, located your product and click on it with the right mouse button -> Show installed files.

edited December 1969

MN-150374, sorry for being distracted by Amazing skins, and some wilmap stuff. I did figure out a plan for the videos, thanks for the info. I didn't want to post the path, as it apparently is different for each product that comes with one. Just tell DIM to ignore MP4 files, then go to your "My Products" page at daz3d, and just download the videos to your preferred video folders.

As for other things, really liking the "DG Essential Shadres", at this point. Very adjustable to the application it is being used for, just like the "DG Essential Shadres 2" pack.
    http://www.daz3d.com/destinysgarden/dg-shader-essentials

Here I replaced the Gloss entirely with ray-trace reflections on the wood walls (DG Essential Shadres).
    The dark reflective perimeter around the Roman Mosaic is "Polished Marble 01" from (DG Essential Shadres 2), angle at 89.90, 95% reflection.

Well I'm off to see If I can make Leilani actually look like the Promos without messing up the color tattoos. chat later y'all.

ZdgBox8_001_DGshadersAnd_ZDGsomersetMosaic1.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited September 2014

Someone at ARTCollab has enticed me this morning, coffee. How can I resist, lol.
    http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/coffee-shop
    Looking at the list of stuff I got last week, I realized I had gotten an ARTCollab figure in one of the Pro bundles (Eruanna for Giselle 6), my first ARTCollab joint venture product (acquired, not created or anything like that). My first ARTCollab anything for that matter. And now there is coffee.

I spent all day yesterday making a "Photo neutral" set and outfit mats, and I guess I can take a break from that to look at the rest of the stuff I got.

20140907c_AmzSkins01008.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited September 2014

Some more tinkering with light settings, and testing the install of the Lilith 6 Pro pack. I'll need to carry these light settings over to the Amazing Skins test now, and redo some of them renders, as the lights may have been to bright. An aftereffect of working with Nidale eons ago.

As for the Lilith pack, there are some potential nice outfits, tho I am a tad squeamish about using them my self, without other stuff.

The horns that come with "Dark Heart for" G2F (far left) don't exactly stand out with blond hair, tho that may be good for incognito scenes.

20140909a_LilithPro001005sml4.jpg
    1200 x 682 - 808K
  • AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Z, what's goin on bud ! Wow ! Very cool lookin floor. C you've been quite busy, havin fun. Hardly can keep up with ya. On the flipside my SSD's have fan's mounted on bracket. My case has 10 fan's, Yikes ! Lol !!

I purchased LuxRender when I first began last year, haven't brainstormed on it till recently. Render engine is awesome ! nothing but positives thus far. Only downside is, adjusting materials and render times, which is very, very time consuming. Keep havin fun, cu on the flipside :-)