SereneNight's Sci-Fi Fun Thread 2

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited October 2020

Yes, I got the Santa chair set, so had to do something with it.

SantaBaby.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 3M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,745

All those JDA HDRIs look pretty amazing but how large are the files? I imagine pretty gigantic, to get that quality...

Their size isn't indicated. They render quite quickly even the dark ones so i don't feel they are that big.

edited October 2020

Greyboro's beefy t-shirt, is just not something I've used. But, it was perfect for this! 

19.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited October 2020

Revisitng my theme of undressing, we are using the Undress pose and Morphs made recently by AeonSoul for the ladies. Of course that doesn't stop me....

17.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,029

Greyboro's beefy t-shirt, is just not something I've used. But, it was perfect for this! 

Just dropped off my ballot yesterday.

Gordig said:

Just dropped off my ballot yesterday.

Awesome!

edited October 2020

Okay, I wanted to test out the Zeddicus Out of Body Experience poses.

This is a cool idea, you get M/F couples pose, and their 'ghostly spirit' or astral projected body pose. There is a render preset including a bloom filter, but I found it didn’t work too well for me, making the scene too bright.

I stripped ghost Boyd of all his clothing, body hair, and implants, and even his goatee. I then reshaded him a ghost color, and his hair and clothing. The included shaders are meant to cover hair, but I could not get it to take on his eyebrows, goatee, or body hair, or even a bikini.  I discovered; they don't do well on shaded products. I opted to remove most of them- you can't really see them anyway. I also recolored Matthew hair with its default textures, and then the shader took it. 

It takes a fairly long time to render, being an emissive and transparent object, and half the time, my machine did not want to render it.  I ran the optimizer and it finally did. 

A dark background is important to make the ghosts pop. They just look way less creepy over a white or lit scene.

I wanted to render a ghost Owen and Boyd, but I think my machine would've thrrown a fit. 

Ghosted1.jpg
    1400 x 1225 - 2M
    Ghosted2.jpg
    1400 x 1225 - 1M
    edited October 2020

On the subject of women's clothing for men, here is Peache's latest. I really think this is by far the best looking flannel shirt there is on the market. Too bad the buttons are on the wrong side for the guys, but easy enough to take care of that post. The underwear have a lower morph, which allows them to be lowered to be less high waisted.

It all fit well with autofit, no monkeying around with dforce. Great set!

OUTFIT.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 657K
  • ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,751

Looks good on him. I still can't get the hang of dforce clothes, no doubt I need more practice. It just somehow doesn't look as good as conforming, except for loose, flowing and draped garments I don't see much use for it. 

edited October 2020

I seldom use dforce on outfits. On other things, sure. But men's clothing really doesn't lend itself to dforce unless its a toga.

edited October 2020

On the subject of new men's clothing for G8M, here we have DZ G8M JumpSuitZ3 - OverAllZ.

This is a cute set for the farmboy in your life. The Boots come from the Jumper and Tim outfit by Samsil.

The overalls have a nice look front and back and there are several morphs to undo one or both of the fasteners on the bib.

I've never seen coveralls with words on them, but there are plain versions as well.

Lets hope for some additional traditional dark denim and a plaid shirt texture for the American gothic look.

overalls.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 645K
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808

On the subject of women's clothing for men, here is Peache's latest. I really think this is by far the best looking flannel shirt there is on the market. Too bad the buttons are on the wrong side for the guys, but easy enough to take care of that post. The underwear have a lower morph, which allows them to be lowered to be less high waisted.

Would it work to set the x-scale to -100% to put the buttons on the right side? (You may need to Show Hidden to make the scale parameters appear.) Just wondering because I've run into a few things lately where the scale sliders are completely dead, even after they're shown, so that doesn't always work. (Also, haven't tried it with anything that has buttons as rigid follow nodes.)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    vwrangler said:

Would it work to set the x-scale to -100% to put the buttons on the right side? (You may need to Show Hidden to make the scale parameters appear.) Just wondering because I've run into a few things lately where the scale sliders are completely dead, even after they're shown, so that doesn't always work. (Also, haven't tried it with anything that has buttons as rigid follow nodes.)

For buttons with rigid follow nodes, you can just move each rigid follow node to the other side of the shirt. If the shirt texture has baked in shadows behind buttons or button holes on the other side, that can look kind of bad, though.

vwrangler said:

It did not. The shirt expanded to be a Cthuloid mess to envelope Owen and drape most unbecomingly.

barbult said:

For buttons with rigid follow nodes, you can just move each rigid follow node to the other side of the shirt. If the shirt texture has baked in shadows behind buttons or button holes on the other side, that can look kind of bad, though.

This actually worked. You can easily move the buttons around to suit where you want them to be!

edited October 2020

I've been messing around with simpler shaders, and effects, to attempt to get a more toony effect.  Because, well, I like to play around with different styles.

Here I made good use of a freebie HALO from Renderhub

SubtleCartoon1.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    edited October 2020

I bought the 'striker machine' and poses a while ago. AND I reallly like it. The sand comes with the "HELTER SKELTER" Lighhouse PC Club freebie. I really like it.  Even though it is not IRAY, it works well for making a big realistic plane for your renders.

Strong2.5.jpg
    1600 x 1400 - 3M
    strpmg3.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 3M
    Gold-Striker.jpg
    1600 x 1400 - 3M
    Strong22.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 3M
  • This is the best thread, Serene Night!  I've been going through every page and admiring your renders.  Thank you for showing all the outfits that you've tried out!  This is so very helpful and I've been picking up a few outfits the past couple of days based on your comments here.  And I haven't been disappointed with anything I've bought.

Thank you for continuing this thread.  It is my most valuable thread on the forum.

Lee

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited October 2020

I've been messing around with simpler shaders, and effects, to attempt to get a more toony effect.  Because, well, I like to play around with different styles.

I like this clean saturated look, I think better than your post processing. Of course not every model with a material set will make it possible for you to do without a lot of work.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited October 2020

Just wondering, are you using a different texture or shader for Owen? He hasn't looked as pale as before in your last couple of images. Or is that just the lighting for the gold effect?

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited October 2020

SickleYield has an interesting new product for G8M SY Pants Masculinizer.  which adds a bulge to clothing where there is no bulge. You can check it out over at ShareCG. 

I like the first setting. Here you can see it applied to these overalls, with and without the morph. If you buy it pay attention to the install instructions. 

I was going to show you the Scarecrow outfit, but looks like the makeup options are broken. So you just can see the straw hat and straw!

OWEN-MAsculinzer2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 851K
    OWEN-MAsculinzerSans.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 853K

This is the best thread, Serene Night!  I've been going through every page and admiring your renders.  Thank you for showing all the outfits that you've tried out!  This is so very helpful and I've been picking up a few outfits the past couple of days based on your comments here.  And I haven't been disappointed with anything I've bought.

Thank you for continuing this thread.  It is my most valuable thread on the forum.

Lee

Thanks so much Lee! I am glad you like the thread and it is nice to hear that it is helpful! 

I like this clean saturated look, I think better than your post processing. Of course not every model with a material set will make it possible for you to do without a lot of work.

I like both. I want to creat a good cartoony style without a lot of dark shaders and outlines. This has always been an objective. But hey thanks!

vwrangler said:

Just wondering, are you using a different texture or shader for Owen? He hasn't looked as pale as before in your last couple of images. Or is that just the lighting for the gold effect?

He isn't.... I am so bad. he really is supposed to be very alabaster. But, I can't get that shade quite with the skin shaders. I'm very basic with skins. 

I am likely to return to his original skin. Its an old gen 7 skin. Everytime I try to change Owen, I end up just going back!

I like both. I want to creat a good cartoony style without a lot of dark shaders and outlines. This has always been an objective. But hey thanks!

Oh, I always have favorites. I eat me favorite food on a plate last and least favorite 1st. The desaturated sepia post process style you've been using and other styles are nice and useful though for dream sequences and such or at least that's what I'd do. So for me it's more a matter of story telling assistence and less one being favorited over the other. The clearest being chosen for ease of seeing the image and used for most of the story telling action. 

edited November 2020

On the subject of new male releases, here is Cisco by Kaos 3d. Cisco has Soto's Maxx's hair and beard, and sits on a lifeguard chair from Poser World. he is similar to Maxx, in that he is a big guy sort of Bara style. The rest of the content is kitbashed from beach sets sold here. 

Boosted3.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    edited November 2020

Moving the buttons from one side to the other was a success. But who would imagine the PA Peache would be so thorough as to add button stiches on the inner flannel! I can't recall the last time I've seen such thoroughness!

hello.png
    1400 x 1600 - 6M

Moving the buttons from one side to the other was a success. But who would imagine the PA Peache would be so thorough as to add button stiches on the inner flannel! I can't recall the last time I've seen such thoroughness!

shirt looks really well made alright

• ButchButch Posts: 797

Okay, I wanted to test out the Zeddicus Out of Body Experience poses.

This is a cool idea, you get M/F couples pose, and their 'ghostly spirit' or astral projected body pose. There is a render preset including a bloom filter, but I found it didn’t work too well for me, making the scene too bright.

I stripped ghost Boyd of all his clothing, body hair, and implants, and even his goatee. I then reshaded him a ghost color, and his hair and clothing. The included shaders are meant to cover hair, but I could not get it to take on his eyebrows, goatee, or body hair, or even a bikini.  I discovered; they don't do well on shaded products. I opted to remove most of them- you can't really see them anyway. I also recolored Matthew hair with its default textures, and then the shader took it. 

It takes a fairly long time to render, being an emissive and transparent object, and half the time, my machine did not want to render it.  I ran the optimizer and it finally did. 

A dark background is important to make the ghosts pop. They just look way less creepy over a white or lit scene.

I wanted to render a ghost Owen and Boyd, but I think my machine would've thrrown a fit. 

I don't have this product, but would the shader work on an obj?  If it does, maybe you could dress and pose Boyd, export as obj, delete him from the scene and import him back.  Apply the shader to the obj and render away.  Just a thought cool  

That's clever! I may try that! I was so happy when I got my new machine last year, thinking it would really run DAZ Studio so much better than my old computer. I didn't realize I Was pretty screwed, because the new versions of IRAY just gobble up your card's available memory.