CC#54 WiPs ~ What is it that you truly desire? after party Chit Chat

15678911»

Comments

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,977
    edited October 2020
    ed3D said:
    ed3D said:

_ not sure on this Version  ~  thanx ~

I hope we get to see the final version - landscape and scene elements are looking great. yes

~  thanx  very kindly  _  this kind of is the Final , except the Tent Flag colour ( trying to pick  colour that Stands out )   ~

_ Carrara and Blender  and TrueSpace_

The tent flag color didn't work for me (too bright) but everything else was just dandy.  You significantly improved the lighting of the saucer.  The circular grooves are very intriguing.  Super clever title as well. yes

~ Thanx   very much  _  Yeah ,  kind of agree _  Flag colour is off ( yeah , kind of too brite )

~  the lighting of the saucer  _  Rendered "as"  with Hidden objects ( terrain , building , flag )

kind of file save PSD _ with Render Alpha Channel and Use Premultiplied  Alpha selected ~

~  and glad You liked the Title   ~

Post edited by ed3D on
    edited October 2020
    ed3D said:

_ and does One have this Ocean/Water  light rippley_wavey look ??  ~ thanx ~

I suspect it is also a Carrara Ocean primitive at high resolution maybe even seamlessly replicated but Unified Brain can enlighten us cheeky

~   alright then , thanx kindly  ~

Post edited by ed3D on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    ed3D said:
    ed3D said:

_ and does One have this Ocean/Water  light rippley_wavey look ??  ~ thanx ~

I suspect it is also a Carrara Ocean primitive at high resolution maybe even seamlessly replicated but Unified Brain can enlighten us cheeky

~   alright then , thanx kindly  ~

Sorry, we posted at about the same time, and then I didn't go back and check for responses.

Carrara has several preset scenes.  To me, the best way for you to understand how to make killer water reflections is to load the Spectral Clouds preset, and look in the shader room to see how it was done.

It is located in your browser under Scenes/MIsc/Spectral Clouds.

edited October 2020

_ and How does One have this Ocean/Water  light rippley_wavey look ??  ~ thanx    

Sorry, we posted at about the same time, and then I didn't go back and check for responses.

Carrara has several preset scenes.  To me, the best way for you to understand how to make killer water reflections is to load the Spectral Clouds preset, and look in the shader room to see how it was done.

It is located in your browser under Scenes/MIsc/Spectral Clouds.

_ Not  reflections _ The Waves themselves  ~  thanx

Post edited by ed3D on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited October 2020

The same advice applies to making the waves. smiley

Edit - The spectral clouds preset is a full scene, including water plane.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Thank you Stezza and UnifiedBrain for the nice comments.

And thank you Stezza for hosting another awesome challenege. As usual it will be difficult to vote - so many great images.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

hope it was satisfactory for everyone..

the challenge topics are easy enough it's getting the participation that is getting harder.. it shows in the Art forum post I put up .. zero replies & minimal views apart from me lol

anyways onwards and upwards...

it will be good getting back to paper & pen to add up the votes as I don't have a spreadsheet on my PC anymore ... now where is that pesky paperclip devil

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

I feel so guilty and sad but 3D is my happy place and one thing I loathe with a vengeance is rating and judging other people's stuff, it's something I just won't do.

Also I am exceedingly uncompetitive I feel shame, unreservedness and imposter syndrome if I actually win anything, and I am doing this for fun, competitions are like work.

I do veiw all your entries and work in progresses heart

again I am so sorry I won't enter or vote broken heart

I know where you're coming from..

I don't rate or judge any entries I just pick what I like flaws & all heart

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited October 2020

I will try to participate in the Carrara challenges as long as they are offered.  Might occasionally miss one here or there.  I don't want to pressure anyone else to participate, but I do favor encouraging people.  There is a difference between encouragement and pressure; at least I think so.  I have learned a lot from the challenges.  I am still learning a lot.  As for ranking, Daz is offering store credit for ranking, so we rank.  I'd prefer anonymous votes precisely because some people are uncomfortable ranking, or being ranked.  

What would be bad?  Trolling.  

In my view the Carrara Challenge is all good.  Participating is good.  Not participating is good.  Voting is good.  Not voting is good.  

heart to all.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited October 2020

Note - I can't see the tiny forum font anymore.  It shrunk down recently.  I am posting in heading 3 now.  Apologies to people whose forum font has not been shrunk down.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2020
    Diomede said:

Note - I can't see the tiny forum font anymore.  It shrunk down recently.  I am posting in heading 3 now.  Apologies to people whose .forum font has not been shrunk down.

The same advice applies to making the waves. smiley

Edit - The spectral clouds preset is a full scene, including water plane.

~  alrite then  _  thx

Thank you, @Chohole.  I can see, I can see.  smiley

get your votes in if you haven't already..

it's Grand Final day on Sunday my time so I'll close it off on Monday my time which will probably be Sunday in someone's time...

then the pen and paper comes out! cool

edited October 2020

If I had more disciplne I would have done more post work.
    Obviously I don't have such discipline so here is a test and demonstration since these challenges are about experiments and showing work and showing what an awesome 3D tool Carrara is. smiley

But first, and I'm pretty ignorant of this stuff, but...to my delight, Carrara cleans up its own files when deleting Objects and Shaders then saving a new file.

My original final scene weighed in at a bloated 32.4 MB.

When I deleted almost everything to make a test custom matte, Carrara saved it at a wonderful 12 KB!

Whoot whoot!!

Okay, meanwhile...

My test was to demonstrate a custom 'self shadow' matte.

As an example, I chose the pink shell of the 'Gal' snail.

I wanted to enhace the color of the 'self' shadows of the shell. But, before I ruined everything...

I saved a new scene  File > Save As > Pink_Shell_Self_Shadow_Matte

Now that my original scene is safe I can start wrecking stuff up.

For this test, I only wanted to alter the self shadows of the pink shell. So I deleted everything except the shell, her body and the Keylight.

I then Deleted all other Objects and Shaders.

Then, I made two new shaders, a 'White' shader and a 'White Glow' shader. The White shader has pure white in the Color Channel and the White Glow has pure white in the Glow Channel. All other Channels are set to ' None'

I set the Backdrop to pure white.

I applied the 'White'  shader to the shell and White Glow to the snail body.

You can see the White Glow shader applied to the snail acts as a mask against the white backdrop leaving us with the shell self shadow to manipulate. (well, the 'white glow' is displayed as black in the viewport, but you understand...)

Post Work:

I then applied a colored solid (default color, lol it actually looks nice by total accident...), used an 'Inverted Luma Matte' and...voila!

Dropped that onto my final composite as a test and we not only have colored self shadows, we now have full control of hue and saturation or anything via that colored solid layer and matte.

P.S. sorry for AE reference, I'm not an Adobe snob just what I have from back in...2010,and I have Hit Film Pro, I'm just super super lazy to learn, wow I'm behind the times and I dropped Adobe since then and their stupid 'rental' paradigm, and everyone else...you get the picture...

Cheers, hope that makes some (non) sense.

P.P.S - edited to add:  look how drab and dead those other black shadows look in comparison, even though I set my Keylight to Shadow Intensity 60%...well it's all subjective and art...
    Super Cheers

P.P.P.S - for the Keylight, turn off Cast Shadows...agh,  F-  Jonathan, lol

final_scene_size.jpg
    444 x 196 - 19K
    matte_scene_size.jpg
    507 x 112 - 15K
    self_shadow_scene_grab.jpg
    1646 x 983 - 84K
    inverted_luma_matte.jpg
    1085 x 764 - 255K
    self_shadow_test_final_001.jpg
    1080 x 750 - 108K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

Thanks for this detailed explanation.  Very cool technique and effect.

Thank you Diomede

great work @desertdude and happy that your snails won the challenge.. it was my favourite image as well as many other voters.

great details on how you achieved the final render awesome yes

Stezza said:

great work @desertdude and happy that your snails won the challenge.. it was my favourite image as well as many other voters.

great details on how you achieved the final render awesome yes

Thank you Stezza!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210

The coolest vote talley report... Ever!

Very nicely presented, Stezza - and incredible host work! Bravo!

The coolest vote talley report... Ever!

Very nicely presented, Stezza - and incredible host work! Bravo!

_  +1  _   yeah , pretty much    ~

yes thanks

I hope the winners store credit is still there after the upgrade on the site surprise

~  you're welcome  ~

and  _  yeah , it is  _ yes

edited November 2020

~ ||||  ~

Post edited by ed3D on