No one asked me - Diomede screenshots on whatever - Warning AI Discussion OK

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784

ancient civilization?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited June 2020

ancient civilization?

Correct!

I have set a personal record for replicators.  This is how far I have gotten.  I'm generally pleased, but welcome suggestions.

City Ancient Establish render 01.png
    2000 x 1297 - 3M
    Post edited by Diomede on

and this is the entry.  Biggest change from previous version is a road to the gate.

bit like a maze

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187

That looks cool, Diomede!

Thank you, Wendy and Dart.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    Diomede said:

and this is the entry.  Biggest change from previous version is a road to the gate.

That's awesome Diomede! You could make a really wild chase scene with a camera fly-thru of those city streets. Cool.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790

very cool @diomede .. for the terrain I would have a more dusty sandy look only because it looks more middle eastern to me..  smiley

gotta luv replicators heart

Thank you, Desertdude and Stezza.  Will consider a fly through.  Right now, my low res people are fine for a still.  Consider adjusting for a fly through.

The ground shader is a good suggestion.  I'm going back and forth on it.  I went with green in these WIPs because my original color was too similar to the buildings.  Could create contrast by making the buildings even darker.

The Grinch must have beamed Max the dog to my machine.  See attached zip file for short animation.

I was inspired to do something silly by a discussion in the Off Topic thread.

zip
    zip
    Max the dog transporter test 2 zip.zip
    7M
    002.jpg
    1236 x 978 - 229K
    004.jpg
    1026 x 886 - 209K
    005.jpg
    975 x 885 - 188K
    edited August 2020

Freebie Shabby Office in Carrara Format - See attached zip file.

Turn off the visibility of walls or ceilings as appropriate for cameras.  The walls and floors have their movement locked using constraints, so change that if you want to move stuff around.  The doors rotate on their hinges, with constraints set.  The lower window moves freely, but the upper window is locked constraint.

This freebie was designed to work with smoothing on (SubD) so consider whether door knob shape etc. detail is worth the resource hit when you use the set.  If the extra detail is worth it, enter the model mode and increase smoothing to taste.  The meshes may seem like overkill for such a simple set but there are some details I want rounded, such as the door knobs and keyholes.  Ultimately, the whole set will be a freebie in Daz Studio format, but not until I add some more details like electricity wall sockets, light switches, and that sort of thing.  You will probably want to replace the shaders.  These shaders are procedural to eliminate any issues with sharing the file.  A character in the main office can have three point lighting using the window, the transom, and one lamp in the room.  The transom and the window glass are separate objects to make it easy to use their meshes as light sources with (indirect light / glow) if desired.

Free for any rendering, personal or commercial.  Please don't distribute the mesh as your own or try to sell it.  

zip
    zip
    Zip shabby office set.zip
    zz01 shabby office set.jpg
    1909 x 1014 - 273K
    zz02 shabby office with visibility of side wall turned off.jpg
    1895 x 1015 - 302K
    edited September 2020

Time for my annual Blender expedition.  Each year for the last several years I have given Blender another try.  I really hate being forced to use shortcut keys.  In the past, that got in the way of using Blender.  Between the BlenderForArtists initative and the change in the interface that came with version 2.8, I think I might have more luck this time.

I can report that I've already gotten further than the first time I tried (several years ago).  I was able to delete the default cube, insert a sphere, select a vertex, and translate it - without having to remember a letter to hold down.

cc01 blender I added a sphere LOL.jpg
    1796 x 861 - 195K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790

cool stuff Ted, I've adventured into Blender a few times now, mainly to get stuff to fit better on Genesis yes

haven't done much more than that though.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    Diomede said:

Time for my annual Blender expedition.  Each year for the last several years I have given Blender another try.  I really hate being forced to use shortcut keys.  In the past, that got in the way of using Blender.  Between the BlenderForArtists initative and the change in the interface that came with version 2.8, I think I might have more luck this time.

I can report that I've already gotten further than the first time I tried (several years ago).  I was able to delete the default cube, insert a sphere, select a vertex, and translate it - without having to remember a letter to hold down.

Stezza said:

cool stuff Ted, I've adventured into Blender a few times now, mainly to get stuff to fit better on Genesis yes

haven't done much more than that though.

Yes, super cool work!
    I have only jumped into Blender to use the Data Transfer Modifier, stumble around, and then get myself back into comfy Carrara, lol. Selecting a vertex and moving it is way more than I have been able to accomplish.  yes

A start on a head in ZBrush.  Have it for 6 months.  I'm really struggling with the ZBrush interface.  But If I am able to sculpt and retopo a cool figure, I'll rig it for Carrara.  I haven't even scratched the surface of ZBrush yet.  (Get it?  Scratched the surface? cheeky)

bbb01 another try 01.jpg
    606 x 717 - 53K
    bbb02 another try 02.jpg
    773 x 793 - 87K
    Diomede said:

A start on a head in ZBrush.  Have it for 6 months.  I'm really struggling with the ZBrush interface.  But If I am able to sculpt and retopo a cool figure, I'll rig it for Carrara.  I haven't even scratched the surface of ZBrush yet.  (Get it?  Scratched the surface? cheeky)

it took me 5 years to figure out the UI blush

Diomede said:

it took me 5 years to figure out the UI blush

Oh no.  I pray it doesn't take me that long!  There are certain features, like the remesh retopology and the creation of normals/displacement maps for adding hi res detail to low res figures, that can enhance the use of models in any program like Carrara.  I experimented with 3D Coat, which should be able to address my sculpting needs, but I had the opportunity to try ZBrush.  ZBrush seems to have many more features, or at least the youtube-tutorial world seems to have more ZBrush to DazFigure resources.

Although the above example is a head sculpt, I am attending a DAL webinar that has hard surface modeling.  I am comfortable enough with Carrara's modelers to accomplish the same examples, but the number of steps and the ability to add hi res surface detail to low res models makes a difference.  Like any model, the result can be brought in Carrara for use, or further refinement.

edited October 2020

Have you tried Michael Pavlovich's tutorials? If I ever get ZBrush, this will likely be the first stuff I watch.

Playlists:

... and there's a lot more. But it seems that he's pretty good at getting folks used to where to go and what to do - but again, I don't have ZBrush so....

Garstor (remember Garstor?) turned me onto this. He was collecting the actual course that you buy, which I would likely consider too - if you like his style, which I do. It seems that he knows how to teach in a manner that I understand - I think... it's been a while since I've watched these.

I haven't seen these - just found them while writing this. Here is his Intro to ZBrush education on ArtStation. I'm certaing that he has DVD collections out there though. But my render is finished so I'm going to disappear into Carrara for the rest of the night! :) Later!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Wow. I can't afford it, but $895 USD doesn't seem like a bad price for a lifetime perpetual license! Makes me wish I had a $grand laying about, getting in my way! LOL I'd use the rest to get the GoZ for Carrara plugin! ;)

Oh wow, Dart.  I missed these replies.  I have been relying on a combination of online tutorials (couldn't tell you the presenters) and Jon Haverkamp through Digital Art Live.  https://www.daz3d.com/how-to-sculpt-a-face-in-zbrush

Haverkamp spends a lot of time on fundamentals like anatomy for artists and similar that are big gaps in my background.  

I was making progress until I had to uninstall and reinstall all of my Daz3D content.  The download errors are sucking my time away.  But I do feel like I have turned a ZBrush corner.  I was really struggling, but am now starting to get a feel for the interface and how to do things.  Am excited about the possibilities now.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Have you tried Michael Pavlovich's tutorials? If I ever get ZBrush, this will likely be the first stuff I watch.

Playlists:

... and there's a lot more. But it seems that he's pretty good at getting folks used to where to go and what to do - but again, I don't have ZBrush so....

Garstor (remember Garstor?) turned me onto this. He was collecting the actual course that you buy, which I would likely consider too - if you like his style, which I do. It seems that he knows how to teach in a manner that I understand - I think... it's been a while since I've watched these.

I haven't seen these - just found them while writing this. Here is his Intro to ZBrush education on ArtStation. I'm certaing that he has DVD collections out there though. But my render is finished so I'm going to disappear into Carrara for the rest of the night! :) Later!

Great tutorials, but I can't bear his speech. And the speed of his tutorials evokes vertigo.

Vyusur said:

Playlists:

Great tutorials, but I can't bear his speech. And the speed of his tutorials evokes vertigo.

You mean how fast he talks? It is very fast, but my daughters talk faster, so I'm kinda used to listening fast! LOL

I don't have Zbrush, so I can't say how easy it is to follow

It does seem to me, however:

•  - I would really like Zbrush if I had time to model my own objects
    •  - These tutorials would be a great way for me to get up and creating art in Zbrush

So Diomede,

If you create new Brash and Moxie meshes in Zbrush, will you be bringing them into Carrara, or do you have other plans?

I ask because, if you start using a different platform and writing/showing in a different forum or forum section, I'd like to know about it so I can continue to follow... okay?

Lately I've been kicking around the idea of creating my own custom figures and rigging them with Triax, but mainly using Carrara thereafter. But then I ask myself when I'd be able to work this into a non-exsistent schedule, I wake up and give up.

edited November 2020

So Diomede,

If you create new Brash and Moxie meshes in Zbrush, will you be bringing them into Carrara, or do you have other plans?

I ask because, if you start using a different platform and writing/showing in a different forum or forum section, I'd like to know about it so I can continue to follow... okay?

For my Brash and Moxie space opera, the style of comic I am interested in still fits in with Daz3D assets by and large.  Am referring to the Flash Gordon / Prince Valiant style that appeared in newspapers way back in the early days.  I will still be creating a lot of stuff for it, but I can also use a lot of my content library.

On the other hand, my interests have been straying more and more toward the old claymation specials by Rankin / Bass etc.  The stuff by 3DUniverse is closest but even that would need signifcant morphs.   I will be creating my own stylized figures for the stories I tell with those figures,

If I stray from Carrara, my thread in the Art Studio fourm  is https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/244076/diomede-s-notepad-sketchpad-and-chilling-pad/p1

Appreciate your interest.  Thanks.

Attached are some screenshots of the newspaper comic versions of Flash Gordon by Raymond.  Also Prince Valiant by Foster.  Sundays in color, rest of the week in black and white.  

brash inspire 1.jpg
    643 x 386 - 111K
    brash inspire 2.jpg
    746 x 590 - 159K
    brash inspire 3.jpg
    729 x 515 - 152K
    brash inspire 4.jpg
    589 x 536 - 120K

!!!  Thanks !!! Already have that one followed! :)

Love your inspirations, Love your custom Brash and Moxie figures!!!

edited November 2020

Misty - Thank You - Reference Mannequins for G3 and G8

Had to do a fresh install recently.  That included plugins, etc.  So, thought I would show how I use Misty's Carrara character presets for G3 and G8 figures to create reference figures to aid modeling.  Just a little time saver.  As most folks know, it can take a long time for Genesis figures to load in carrara because of all the morphs.  The plugin to eliminate unused morphs could do the same thing I am doing here, and even more selectively.  But for a simple shape mannequin, I like this method.

- download and install Misty's character presets from that other content website that rhymes with monstrosity.

- open a fresh carrara scene

- load one of Misty's presets.  Here, I load G3F.  Note that the figure group contains the 'actor' and the skeleton beginning with hip.  

- select the 'actor.'

- from the top menu, use EDIT : Convert to Other Modeler

- choose primitive

- click and drag the actor out of the figure group.

- delete the figute group

- rename and save the primitive figure to your objects browser

- in future, it is quick and easy to drag and drop the reference mannequin in the scene.

aa01 load Mistys G3F from People Genesis 3 Carrara.jpg
    1913 x 1017 - 306K
    aa02 select actor and use convert to other modeler.jpg
    1907 x 987 - 302K
    aa03 choose primitive.jpg
    1823 x 946 - 271K
    aa04 move the actor out of the group by click and drag.jpg
    1487 x 951 - 207K
    aa05 delete the g3f group.jpg
    1545 x 945 - 191K
    aa06 rename the actor something like G3F Primitive.jpg
    1645 x 962 - 228K