MEC4D's celebration ( with freebies ) [commercial]

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

A quick peek at the textures make me think C is the closest

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited October 2020

C C Señorita!  Looking really good honey!   

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • MoreTNMoreTN Posts: 219

The c textures look best. Those filament textures are very encouraging.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

another vote for the C texture. 

nice to see some positive notes about filament...thank you.  i've postponed downloading the new beta because most of what i've seen and read has been underwhelming.

:)

j

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

Thanks Simon ! 

SimonJM said:

A quick peek at the textures make me think C is the closest

Thanks Richard

RAMWolff said:

C C Señorita!  Looking really good honey!   

Thanks , the point is that the Filament texture need to look accurate as the Original Material textures are also Filament just from another program 

MoreTN said:

The c textures look best. Those filament textures are very encouraging.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    MEC4D said:

I use Maxwell cards and the last Nvidia driver works fine with Iray  and the cards, how else I could render ? 

You are missing all the fun with Filament PBR .. I go through all versions since 0.47 and did not experienced major issues or crashes , actually removed all general releases and use only Beta for more than 2 weeks already since Zbrush get confused where to send models and opening wrong version so I got rid of the other and not regretted it yet. I crashed only once with 2.51 

Filament PBR viewport  works only on 64bit Windows at this moment  

kyoto kid said:

...I'm still on the 4.12.0.47 beta which has been extremely stable, more so than the general release so haven't played around with this yet.  Not sure about updating to ver 2.54 as the change log mentions that a newer Nvidia driver is required which doesn't show up in the list for my Maxwell cards on their site so I'm not sure if it is compatible.

I wonder if any of this stuff will work on my computer.  Core2Duo, Nvidea 9500 GT, 8GB system RAM.  Not even close to state of the art!

Dana

Well there is nothing negative about it , most negative comments are from people that have not even idea what it is and. how to work around it , expecting something that is not there .

I have no issues with Filament PBR  as I tested it out a little early already before the release comparing my materials from other programs to make sure that it looks the same as my maps I create.

I found 3 ways around the Metallic shader in Iray to set it correctly for combinations of materials .

You see non metal materials have different amounts of reflections than Metals and since in Iray there are no way to put a values but just 0-1 it get complicated 

None Metal surfaces have 2-4% at max reflectivity but no way to put RGBs or Float gray color values , the default setting of Glossy Weight at 0.33 and Reflection to 0.50 may works in most cases if you don't know the proper value but when using Metal and Nonmetal materials in one map it get little complicated and touching the reflective settings should not take place .

The preview of B are not accurate at all that why I used map to control it to get result C and it should be not this way, a true PBR should be achieved  already with simple 2 maps , and it works great for Metals or Nonmetals only , but as always I find my ways 

I just try to do my job easily and don't want to waste hours on something that is already done in preview hours if you know what I mean .

That why I love the Filament PBR, if it looks good in the viewport it should render even better with iray, as that is how it was created outside DS 

jardine said:

another vote for the C texture. 

nice to see some positive notes about filament...thank you.  i've postponed downloading the new beta because most of what i've seen and read has been underwhelming.

:)

j

edited November 2020

See here little test of Dielectric material  (nonmetallic)

it looks the way it should ( not that is the best representation since the material is all painted for the test with world values), of course Filament viewport will not reflect materials from itself on the surface or other objects so there will be always a slightly difference but overall it is what I wanted to see 

The whole concept of PBR in DS is to load your materials without the need of adjusting it for each different scene and lighting to look better 

You got new tool, have fun with it 

metallicity shader_filament_vs_iray.jpg
    1237 x 702 - 452K
    Post edited by Chohole on

Dana , Filament originally was created to work on android phone , it don't request super cards or computer , but Win64bit and last driver update for your card .

Wendy said it was working fine on her old computer

DanaTA said:
    MEC4D said:

I use Maxwell cards and the last Nvidia driver works fine with Iray  and the cards, how else I could render ? 

You are missing all the fun with Filament PBR .. I go through all versions since 0.47 and did not experienced major issues or crashes , actually removed all general releases and use only Beta for more than 2 weeks already since Zbrush get confused where to send models and opening wrong version so I got rid of the other and not regretted it yet. I crashed only once with 2.51 

Filament PBR viewport  works only on 64bit Windows at this moment  

kyoto kid said:

...I'm still on the 4.12.0.47 beta which has been extremely stable, more so than the general release so haven't played around with this yet.  Not sure about updating to ver 2.54 as the change log mentions that a newer Nvidia driver is required which doesn't show up in the list for my Maxwell cards on their site so I'm not sure if it is compatible.

I wonder if any of this stuff will work on my computer.  Core2Duo, Nvidea 9500 GT, 8GB system RAM.  Not even close to state of the art!

Dana

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited October 2020
    MEC4D said:
    Version: 456.71  WHQL
    Release Date: 2020.10.7
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit,Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit
    Language: English (US)
    File Size: 610.84 MB

NVIDIA TITAN Series:

GeForce GTX TITAN X 

check for yourself : https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

...interesting, the last time I used that search for new driver updates (not long ago) it gave me the one I currently have for both GPUs.

Well, I have a saved version of the installer for the current beta version I'm using  in my Daz programme installer archive, so if I run into any difficulties, I can always roll back.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,316
    edited October 2020
    DanaTA said:

Looking at the Iray versions, I think Iray C+ looks closest to the original.  They all look great, though!

Dana

I agree with Dana -- Iray C+

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Of course you can , I have no issues with the last driver , works fine  

kyoto kid said:

...interesting, the last time I used that search for new driver updates (not long ago) it gave me the one I currently have for both GPUs.

Well, I have a saved version of the installer for the current beta version I'm using  in my Daz programme installer archive, so if I run into any difficulties, I can always roll back.

Thanks, I guess I was no crazy lol  

DanaTA said:

Looking at the Iray versions, I think Iray C+ looks closest to the original.  They all look great, though!

Dana

I agree with Dana -- Iray C+

MEC4D said:

kyoto kid said:

...in the past I've had newer driver updates (from Nvidia, not through Windows Update) give me BSODs at times which required rolling back.  "Steam era" tech here that for some components is 5 generations out of date. 

I only update manually and clean install , Windows updates messing up everything especially drivers . 

I am checking once per month , sometimes I update , sometimes I don't depends of what is updated .

kyoto kid said:
    MEC4D said:

kyoto kid said:

...in the past I've had newer driver updates (from Nvidia, not through Windows Update) give me BSODs at times which required rolling back.  "Steam era" tech here that for some components is 5 generations out of date. 

MEC4D said:

I only update manually and clean install , Windows updates messing up everything especially drivers . 

I am checking once per month , sometimes I update , sometimes I don't depends of what is updated .

kyoto kid said:
    MEC4D said:

kyoto kid said:

I update drivers if, and only if, it is demanded by an upgrade of software (Iray, Octane, etc.,) that requires a higher level. Otherwise, if it ain't broke ... laugh

That's so true Simon, yesterday Adobe updated PS to 2021 version , removed my second version I need for my plugin for texturing and stuff , not even Zbrush plugin working anymore with PS

I am still so mad , I give them thank you note on Twitter . 

But hey Now I can make myself looking older in PS ... it slowly turning into Photoshop elements 

So I got instruction to add line to a .txt file that don;t excist or can be created .. my work came to stand still , but who cares I can convert cows into color picture .. with the new  AI ..really ? black and white cows into color ? what a smart AI . lol

SimonJM said:
    MEC4D said:

kyoto kid said:
    MEC4D said:

kyoto kid said:

I update drivers if, and only if, it is demanded by an upgrade of software (Iray, Octane, etc.,) that requires a higher level. Otherwise, if it ain't broke ... laugh

Oh, don't get me started on software 'upgrades' that bring in 'wonderful' new features ... I could bore for England on that subject! Software for monitoring a commercial RAID array gets an upgrade, becomes a suite of things and the PC it was running happily on is way below the needed spec, but we stil only want to monitor the RAID. etc., etc.

Thankfully I restored everything yesterday night to where it was, shutdown again all auto updates (as I did before ) and waiting until next time when I am forced to skip my work and have new option to change my head into a Cat, using professional software I pay for each month . 

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    MEC4D said:

That's so true Simon, yesterday Adobe updated PS to 2021 version , removed my second version I need for my plugin for texturing and stuff , not even Zbrush plugin working anymore with PS

I am still so mad , I give them thank you note on Twitter . 

But hey Now I can make myself looking older in PS ... it slowly turning into Photoshop elements 

So I got instruction to add line to a .txt file that don;t excist or can be created .. my work came to stand still , but who cares I can convert cows into color picture .. with the new  AI ..really ? black and white cows into color ? what a smart AI . lol

SimonJM said:
    MEC4D said:

kyoto kid said:
    MEC4D said:

kyoto kid said:

WOW.  So so sorry this happened to you.  Not noticed much since the update.  I don't use AI much so it's probably a feature I won't totally embrace unless I have to.  Glad your up and running again honey!  XO

edited October 2020

The only one thing I was interested in the new AI filter was b&w to color, and it works on historic pictures from internet as well, but when you try your own that AI have no clue how you looks like and it consider all people white .But it is just beta for now so we see how it improve , I did not even try the other filters as the interesting one are not yet available 

The manual options to improve the colorisations helps a bit but I guess you need to spend some time on it to correct do it so the purpose of it make no sense , you do the job manually after all. .

RAMWolff said:
    MEC4D said:

WOW.  So so sorry this happened to you.  Not noticed much since the update.  I don't use AI much so it's probably a feature I won't totally embrace unless I have to.  Glad your up and running again honey!  XO

Screenshot 2020-10-22 141527.jpg
    1153 x 969 - 103K
    Screenshot 2020-10-22 143807.jpg
    1252 x 758 - 157K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
  • Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,556

I'm happy to see your website is usable now

Thanks, new server , new secure serve and scanned daily by SiteLock  

new content will come in January so little changes on the way , still 3D related but not directly connected to Daz Studio or Poser 

Noah LGP said:

I'm happy to see your website is usable now

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,899
    edited November 2020
    MEC4D said:

it looks the way it should ( not that is the best representation since the material is all painted for the test with world values), of course Filament viewport will not reflect materials from itself on the surface or other objects so there will be always a slightly difference but overall it is what I wanted to see 

The whole concept of PBR in DS is to load your materials without the need of adjusting it for each different scene and lighting to look better 

With the store\forum upgrades, I stopped getting notifications about post updates!

Now if you can create a couch\sofa using that leather mat, I'd buy it instantly smiley

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited November 2020

it will be on my free set for the Orangery and also part of New shaders for Iray 

Filament changed my plans so I am redoing everything so it looks great in both . 

P.S the shader here have only base color and 3D normals .. very quick in rendering 

MEC4D said:

With the store\forum upgrades, I stopped getting notifications about post updates!

Now if you can create a couch\sofa using that leather mat, I'd buy it instantly smiley

Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited November 2020

...love the upholstery ball, should include it in the set. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • I'm not sure I'm understanding everyone correctly, do I have to have an Nvidia card to use filament in the new Daz? My computer is about 10 yrs old and not sure when I can afford to get a new one, though hoping for next year. My graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 3400 series, it's takes Iray to do a render in half an hour on default settings, so I avoid Iray like the plague. For what I do with regards to art I don't need Iray anyway. That filament might be useful for lighting to be better though.

I think you render with CPU, iray needs Cuda cores to render and Nvidia card . 

Filament works with all cards  

I'm not sure I'm understanding everyone correctly, do I have to have an Nvidia card to use filament in the new Daz? My computer is about 10 yrs old and not sure when I can afford to get a new one, though hoping for next year. My graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 3400 series, it's takes Iray to do a render in half an hour on default settings, so I avoid Iray like the plague. For what I do with regards to art I don't need Iray anyway. That filament might be useful for lighting to be better though.

• All cards, great, not to see if it will work on this beast...lol   Also you don't have to have Nvidia to use Iray, if you don't have one then Daz uses the CPU instead of the GPU, or the other way around, can't remember which...lol   but ya, you don't have to have Nvidia, it's just the preferred card for the newer versions of Daz and faster then using other cards, which is why a render on my computer takes so long.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

All cards, great, not to see if it will work on this beast...lol   Also you don't have to have Nvidia to use Iray, if you don't have one then Daz uses the CPU instead of the GPU, or the other way around, can't remember which...lol   but ya, you don't have to have Nvidia, it's just the preferred card for the newer versions of Daz and faster then using other cards, which is why a render on my computer takes so long.

A half hour is not long for doing Iray with the CPU!  I've had a simple scene take at least that long with using CPU and GPU combined.  I have an old Nvidea card that only has a small number of Cuda cores.

Dana