CC#54 WiPs ~ What is it that you truly desire? after party Chit Chat

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    Diomede said:

RE: Smoke

- my first attempt at smoke early in the WIP thread was taking a modeled cone-like shape, applying a shatter modifier, and a blur effect.

- my second attempt, which was my first entry, was creating a new layer in an image editing program and trying to use part of a Ron's smoke, but it was more of a square cloud (see attached).

- my third attempt, which is current, turns off the Ron's smoke layer, and instead uses a new layer with a smoke I found on the web (also attached)

I like how the current version looks like flame, so in my view a happy accident.

I should say that the current version is not an overlay of the smoke, it is instead a color dodge, which is why it looks blown out.  I tried dialing it down but I liked it blown out better.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Stezza said:

Just a quickie....

I created some smoke and applied it to a grid in the alpha and glow channel... the colour channel can be any colour you like.. I duplicated the grid seven times with different sizes and rotations and ended up with LoRenzo Genie.. no postwork.

Smoke PNG file attached

Great example!

Thanks for the png.  What is a "grid"?  Are you talking about a plane?

Diomede said:

RE: Smoke

- my first attempt at smoke early in the WIP thread was taking a modeled cone-like shape, applying a shatter modifier, and a blur effect.

- my second attempt, which was my first entry, was creating a new layer in an image editing program and trying to use part of a Ron's smoke, but it was more of a square cloud (see attached).

- my third attempt, which is current, turns off the Ron's smoke layer, and instead uses a new layer with a smoke I found on the web (also attached)

I like how the current version looks like flame, so in my view a happy accident.

Thanks for those explanations.

Your render has an air brush softness to it.  Very impressive.  Headwax said it was one of his favorite renders of yours, and I agree.

However, the smoke effect you use kind of shocks the eyes.  To me, it doesn't fit the dreamy airbrush style.

Then again, we all don't see things the same way. :)

Thanks HW, for the comments, and for the 2 Gig reminder. :)

I hated getting to one gig.  At that level, you have to be very patient and let Carrara finish each task before doing something different.  Otherwise, it will crash.  Towards the end, save times were almost 10 minutes! 

I tried to reduce the morphs (the two G2 knight figures) using Alberto's tool, but it didn't make hardly any difference.  Maybe the laird (G1) was the problem.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    Stezza said:

Just a quickie....

I created some smoke and applied it to a grid in the alpha and glow channel... the colour channel can be any colour you like.. I duplicated the grid seven times with different sizes and rotations and ended up with LoRenzo Genie.. no postwork.

Smoke PNG file attached

Great example!

in the vertex modeller an inserted plane is a grid with definable parameters 

as opposed the the primitive plane which when converted to other modeller has only 2 polys

in the vertex modeller an inserted plane is a grid with definable parameters 

as opposed the the primitive plane which when converted to other modeller has only 2 polys

Oh jeez, how could I forget that? Thanks. :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited October 2020

Here is yet another smoke version.  I took the orignal composite with 'shatter/blur" smoke and put that in the backdrop of carrara.  I put the 2-smoke column image on a plane in the channles for color / alpha / bump, then reduced the bump and rendered out a version with the first smoke column.  Repeated for the second smoke column.  I overlay the two smoke versions over the original mixing in some of each smoke.  Hopefully better.

I appreciate all the constructive feedback.

resmoke 00 entry.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 655K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,976
    edited October 2020
    Bunyip02 said:
    Diomede said:

Canteen Update

Thank you for the vulture, Stezza.

Fixed some poke through, mussed up some shaders

added a light dome with lights set very low to get some fill light under the left leg and torso, and in cliffs and brighten slightly all over

Vultures definately add to the scene !!

~ +1   yeah , sure does _

Post edited by ed3D on
    Stezza said:

Just a quickie....

Smoke PNG file attached

~  pretty good  ~

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795
    Stezza said:

Just a quickie....

Smoke PNG file attached

Great example!

no probs... as Wendy said.. wink

Entry Thread Closes Sometime on Thursday, 15th October 2020

which will be sometime Friday Australian time... probably around 4pmish time when we feed the kangaroos.

or whenever the last time in the world ticks over to the 16th!

I wonder where in the world that is cool

Diomede said:

Here is yet another smoke version.  I took the orignal composite with 'shatter/blur" smoke and put that in the backdrop of carrara.  I put the 2-smoke column image on a plane in the channles for color / alpha / bump, then reduced the bump and rendered out a version with the first smoke column.  Repeated for the second smoke column.  I overlay the two smoke versions over the original mixing in some of each smoke.  Hopefully better.

I appreciate all the constructive feedback.

If we reach the point where too many suggestions get counterproductive, just let me know.

The new one looks better to my eyes.  Maybe have the smoke more white?

Also, I would like to see the genie "emerge" from the smoke, much like what Stezza said a while back:

Stezza said:

Raiders of the Lost Genie Bottle... awesome stuff, though I would of liked more pronunciation of billowing white smoke coming from the bottle.. good use of techniques love it yes

edited October 2020
    Diomede said:

Cool striped effects, ed3D.  yes

~  and  Thanx  kindly  ~

Post edited by ed3D on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited October 2020
    Headwax said:

I always wented a glass board so I could see the water trails beneath me while I surfed the wave.

I never wanted to see the bities that swam under me as I was paddling back out though

unadulterated image attached - the scene is in carrara's native files

Wow Headwax, awesome! So...layered upon layers... Very striking

@DesertDude - that's another classic image, love the colour saturation - and even how well structured the instances tab is!! Goya nevere looked so good.

Thanks Headwax for the nice comments

Post edited by DesertDude on
    ed3D said:

_ not sure on this Version  ~  thanx ~

I hope we get to see the final version - landscape and scene elements are looking great. yes

Whate'er the Laird Desires

When researching historical romance covers, there appeared to be a couple of "most popular" romance themes.  One of them was the well-bred and beautiful lass forced to interact with a brave and brawny Scottish laird.  I guess that it was fueled by the Highlander movie and the Outlander books and current TV series.  I haven't seen or read the series, but I just saw the Highlander movie last night.  It wasn't very romantic, so I suspect that Outlander had more influence.

The lass is V4 semi-dressed in the Sugar outfit.  The laird is Freak 5.  The scene is one big kitbash, with over 15 different products in use.  If you have any specific questions on products, just ask.  It was my first 1 Gig scene.  When the scene gets that big, even a good processor lags a bit.

For the background blur, I used Carrara DOF, and also blurred some objects.  The goal was to make the characters pop a little in a very busy scene.  Any feedback on that is appreciated.

I did some limited modeling on the food items, and adjusted the characters a lot in the modeling room.  No postwork.

Fantastic scene UnifiedBrain! The DOF definitely helps the characters 'pop'. When you say 'and also blurred some objects' did you use Carrara's native Blur for objects under Effects Tab?
    Great lighting! Nice subtle reflections on the floor.

Vyusur said:

One more desire...

Octane render. No postwork.

Your compostion is fanatstic as well as the figure poses. Beautiful work!

Diomede said:

Canteen Update

Thank you for the vulture, Stezza.

Fixed some poke through, mussed up some shaders

added a light dome with lights set very low to get some fill light under the left leg and torso, and in cliffs and brighten slightly all over

Looks great Diomede - thanks for the explanations (and the canteen!)

Stezza said:

Just a quickie....

Smoke PNG file attached

That effect looks friggin' awesome Stezza! Thanks for the explanations.
    Plus...nice sky in the background. Dramatic - the good kind.  smiley

edited October 2020

I'm pretty sure this will be my final entry. smiley (click for larger)

Since the last WIP post I added:

A Surface Replicator with some simple stones I made. I made a duplicate of my Terrain object and converted to a Vertex Object. I then selected polygons around the snails to my liking, inverted the selection, deleted those polys and what remained acted as my surface. Stones are super simple with minor variations and different Shaders. Some of the stones are real instances to help judiciously hide many things, mainly the painfully straight horizontal line that ran across the image....

I also modeled some leaves and made some plants from them, and also used them as individual little sprouting weeds. Painful slop job painting of texture maps, but can't really see too much detail anyways in the image, so...

Finsihed the flower.

I strecthed the 'guy' snail's eyes on the 'Z' axis and squished them on the 'X' and 'Y' to by more oval, using bones. For both snails I used Carrara's 3D paint to create the iris / pupils.

Gal snail has Carrara native Hair for eyelashes.

For post work I used a couple of mattes: Depth, Specular and, a custom Alpha matte of everything excluding the Voluemtric Clouds and the the actual Bi Gradient Backdrop. Why? Because I didn't want the effects to obliterate the background (...it's easy to do that on my own  laugh). I rendered the Volumetric Clouds and the Bi Gradient Backdrop as seperate layers to further isolate them.

The Depth matte was used to drive a Hue / Saturation effect to push the background elements more blue and lighter in value. I then inverted it and used it to subtly re-warm the foreground elements where there was too much spill over. I also used it for Depth of Field effects - something with which I have little experience so not sure if it looks bad.

I used the Specular pass to isolate the spec hits for my Keylight only. To achieve that, I saved out a duplicate scene, turned off all the lights except my Keylight, told Carrara to render a Specular pass in the Render room using Multipass Rendering, then kept the Specular pass and ditched that particular 'beauty' pass.
    For the 'beauty' pass I turned off ALL Highlight and Shininess Channels in all Shaders and rendered that as my 'color' pass...er, don't know what to call that, but it had no spec hits. I then applied my Specular pass to that image which eliminated all the errant spec hits from any fill lights. I wanted specular hits from one light source only since they are outside in the sun.

As usual, I learned a lot from the experience of making the image as well as everyone generously sharing their tips and tricks using Carrara. Thank you.

Cheers!

edited: to add Assembky Room screen shot and Shaders screen shot

final_003_web.jpg
    1440 x 1000 - 284K
    depth.jpg
    1152 x 800 - 47K
    alpha_matte.jpg
    1152 x 800 - 40K
    specular_keylight_only.jpg
    1152 x 800 - 14K
    beauty_no_spec.jpg
    1152 x 800 - 144K
    asembly_room_final.jpg
    1956 x 1372 - 279K
    shaders.jpg
    419 x 487 - 42K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

I'm pretty sure this will be my final entry. smiley (click for larger)

Since the last WIP post I added:

A Surface Replicator with some simple stones I made. I made a duplicate of my Terrain object and converted to a Vertex Object. I then selected polygons around the snails to my liking, inverted the selection, deleted those polys and what remained acted as my surface. Stones are super simple with minor variations and different Shaders. Some of the stones are real instances to help judiciously hide many things, mainly the painfully straight horizontal line that ran across the image....

I also modeled some leaves and made some plants from them, and also used them as individual little sprouting weeds. Painful slop job painting of texture maps, but can't really see too much detail anyways in the image, so...

Finsihed the flower.

I strecthed the 'guy' snail's eyes on the 'Z' axis and squished them on the 'X' and 'Y' to by more oval, using bones. For both snails I used Carrara's 3D paint to create the iris / pupils.

Gal snail has Carrara native Hair for eyelashes.

For post work I used a couple of mattes: Depth, Specular and, a custom Alpha matte of everything excluding the Voluemtric Clouds and the the actual Bi Gradient Backdrop. Why? Because I didn't want the effects to obliterate the background (...it's easy to do that on my own  laugh). I rendered the Volumetric Clouds and the Bi Gradient Backdrop as seperate layers to further isolate them.

The Depth matte was used to drive a Hue / Saturation effect to push the background elements more blue and lighter in value. I then inverted it and used it to subtly re-warm the foreground elements where there was too much spill over. I also used it for Depth of Field effects - something with which I have little experience so not sure if it looks bad.

I used the Specular pass to isolate the spec hits for my Keylight only. To achieve that, I saved out a duplicate scene, turned off all the lights except my Keylight, told Carrara to render a Specular pass in the Render room using Multipass Rendering, then kept the Specular pass and ditched that particular 'beauty' pass.
    For the 'beauty' pass I turned off ALL Highlight and Shininess Channels in all Shaders and rendered that as my 'color' pass...er, don't know what to call that, but it had no spec hits. I then applied my Specular pass to that image which eliminated all the errant spec hits from any fill lights. I wanted specular hits from one light source only since they are outside in the sun.

As usual, I learned a lot from the experience of making the image as well as everyone generously sharing their tips and tricks using Carrara. Thank you.

Cheers!

edited: to add Assembky Room screen shot and Shaders screen shot

what great info.. I just love your snails!  heart

awesome stuff yes

for those who haven't finished up yet, there's still time for wips and entries but time is ticking 

Fantastic scene UnifiedBrain! The DOF definitely helps the characters 'pop'. When you say 'and also blurred some objects' did you use Carrara's native Blur for objects under Effects Tab?
    Great lighting! Nice subtle reflections on the floor.

Thanks for the comments!

The problem with using Carrrara DOF in this scene, is that the background is not far enough "back" to get the DOF feature to give much blur.  So, to compensate, I blurred everything on the back wall - including the back wall - by blurring each individual object.  I also cranked Carrara DOF to the max in hopes of having enough gradual blur in the scene so the back wall wouldn't look too weird.  The chair at the back end of the table is also blurred, but less than the back wall.  The goal was to have a midblur point to help fool the eyes into seeing a gradual blur.

BTW, your snail render is terrific - one of your best!  All of the final touches you added fit perfectly.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Vyusur said:

One more desire...

Octane render. No postwork.

Your compostion is fanatstic as well as the figure poses. Beautiful work!

Thank you very much!

edited October 2020
    ed3D said:

I hope we get to see the final version - landscape and scene elements are looking great. yes

~  thanx  very kindly  _  this kind of is the Final , except the Tent Flag colour ( trying to pick  colour that Stands out )   ~

_ Carrara and Blender  and TrueSpace_

2BIG MOUNT UHF_ALL.png
    1920 x 1032 - 266K
    2BIG MOUNT UHF_SIDE FLAG-POL.png
    1920 x 1035 - 231K
    2BIG MOUNT UHF_HALF.png
    1920 x 1035 - 1011K
    10-02_.png
    1920 x 1020 - 173K
    Post edited by ed3D on
    edited October 2020

~ and  the Final One ~

_ Carrara and Blender   (almost forgot to type in)  and Krita for  texture on Submarine  _

2SUBM-1CAR 1F.png
    1920 x 1044 - 358K
    2SUBM-1CAR.png
    1920 x 1035 - 334K
    2SUBM 1A.png
    1920 x 1023 - 241K
    2SUBM 1AB.png
    1920 x 1021 - 256K
    Post edited by ed3D on
    edited October 2020

ENTRIES HAVE CLOSED

thanks to all who participated

VOTING HAS BEGUN

after party chit chat now begins in this thread..

chat away... any questions about how something was done, then ask away..

suggestions for making a great apple pie .. then do it here

feel like getting boned but being put off by the weight painting?.... yep, that sux.

yes

Post edited by Stezza on
    edited October 2020

rhubarb pie with icecream but then I get too weightmapped

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited October 2020

A Sudden Desire to Rip a Bodice

This is another one for the ladies... although you never know. :)

Played this one pretty straight.  It has the elements of a typical romance novel cover.

The characters are V4 and M3.  Did a lot of soft select tweaking in the modeling room to get the limbs and torsos right.  Kitbashed the clothes.  V4 is wearing the My Princess top and the Happy Skirt bottom, both with modified textures.  M3 has pants from the High Fantasy Clothing Bundle, which is apparently no longer available.  It's the reason I keep buying old products, before they are vaulted.  The boots are Bucanneer Boots from the M3 Boot Pack.  Hair is Leyton and Mon Chevalier.

The vessels are HMS Victory and Cast Away Dinghy.  Never used either before.  Both work well in Carrara.

I used the Spectral Clouds preset as a base environment, changed the clouds and added a rock.  All text is Carrara.  GMIC was used only for contrast.

Because of the reflections and delicate (thinner) features, I made a fairly large render (2700x3564) and went with an object accuracy of 1.  Even with 24 buckets, it still took 6 hours!  Too long for my tastes.

No postwork.

_ and How does One have this Ocean/Water  light rippley_wavey look ??  ~ thanx ~

Post edited by ed3D on
    ed3D said:
    ed3D said:

~  thanx  very kindly  _  this kind of is the Final , except the Tent Flag colour ( trying to pick  colour that Stands out )   ~

_ Carrara and Blender  and TrueSpace_

The tent flag color didn't work for me (too bright) but everything else was just dandy.  You significantly improved the lighting of the saucer.  The circular grooves are very intriguing.  Super clever title as well. yes

ed3D said:

A Sudden Desire to Rip a Bodice

This is another one for the ladies... although you never know. :)

Played this one pretty straight.  It has the elements of a typical romance novel cover.

The characters are V4 and M3.  Did a lot of soft select tweaking in the modeling room to get the limbs and torsos right.  Kitbashed the clothes.  V4 is wearing the My Princess top and the Happy Skirt bottom, both with modified textures.  M3 has pants from the High Fantasy Clothing Bundle, which is apparently no longer available.  It's the reason I keep buying old products, before they are vaulted.  The boots are Bucanneer Boots from the M3 Boot Pack.  Hair is Leyton and Mon Chevalier.

The vessels are HMS Victory and Cast Away Dinghy.  Never used either before.  Both work well in Carrara.

I used the Spectral Clouds preset as a base environment, changed the clouds and added a rock.  All text is Carrara.  GMIC was used only for contrast.

Because of the reflections and delicate (thinner) features, I made a fairly large render (2700x3564) and went with an object accuracy of 1.  Even with 24 buckets, it still took 6 hours!  Too long for my tastes.

No postwork.

_ and does One have this Ocean/Water  light rippley_wavey look ??  ~ thanx ~

I suspect it is also a Carrara Ocean primitive at high resolution maybe even seamlessly replicated but Unified Brain can enlighten us cheeky