dForce Hair (as well as strand based hair and the strand based hair editor) in public beta

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

doing a render now. Tidied some stray hairs up, added more plants and trees threw in a HDRI. I just managed to get it just under 11gb so it should only take a few hours. 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    edited October 2020
    Szark said:

I am still not getting any notifications and I also noticed when I open this thread it isn't a secure page.

Cool. Have fun.

I just threw in some green to help me gauge the colour of the fur. I think I am happy to tweak a little more and throw him n a scene. Oh I got the Antler Pack so much better. but again I had to mess with the diffuse to get a better match to the real thing. I know I am picky.

I stopped subscribing to threads in the forums long again as I hardly even got the notifications regarding replies either.

Too bad the styling and parameter ranges in SBH isn't enough for us to make our own horns, feathers, and scales.

I just made these horns with Strand-Based Hair.

Daz Dragon 3 w Strand Based Hair Horns.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by 3Diva on
    Szark said:

doing a render now. Tidied some stray hairs up, added more plants and trees threw in a HDRI. I just managed to get it just under 11gb so it should only take a few hours. 

I look forward to seeing it!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    Szark said:

I manage some spines in Garibaldi some time ago https://www.deviantart.com/itiseyemeeszark/art/Brian-Posing-For-the-Camera-377347086 LOL

Ok here are my surface settings. As you can see I totally relied on getting the maps right and just fiddled with the value settings once I got the maps right.

Cool spines. And thanks for the settings.

3Diva said:
    Szark said:

I am still not getting any notifications and I also noticed when I open this thread it isn't a secure page.

Cool. Have fun.

I just threw in some green to help me gauge the colour of the fur. I think I am happy to tweak a little more and throw him n a scene. Oh I got the Antler Pack so much better. but again I had to mess with the diffuse to get a better match to the real thing. I know I am picky.

I stopped subscribing to threads in the forums long again as I hardly even got the notifications regarding replies either.

Too bad the styling and parameter ranges in SBH isn't enough for us to make our own horns, feathers, and scales.

I just made these horns with Strand-Based Hair.

Wow! I was going to try that since I mentioned but didn't think it would work! Those look great!

edited October 2020

Humm a lot bigger than I thought it could make, cool.

I haven't forgotten. I wanted to refine things more so in about 2 hours I can share the pic, some more info and reference pics that might help folks long with nailing this beast, I will post in my render thread and let you know here. Thx Daz for the excellent documentation as always. :P Still love ya though

Post edited by Szark on
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,061
    edited October 2020

I skimmed through the comments, but I couldn't find what I was looking for, but, where can I find a list of strand hair parameters that specifically increase GPU memory usage?  I had to reboot my computer a couple times because the memory maxxed out, and my keyboard locked up.  I would really like to separate all parameters that increase memory usage, and the ones that don't.  Maybe Daz could color those parameters bright red, as in "danger, these will crash your computer". :)

Post edited by Seven193 on

Not sure but one setting is how many hairs you chose per CM. Don't go for real world hair counts. I have found 30 to 35 is ok on my system. 32 GB RAM  and GTX1080ti. When I went to 50 my system had a stroke. This was viewport previewing so yeah I pushed it a bit. Not sure it could handle rendering out with a bigger hair count. I didn't try it.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217
    edited October 2020

Ive never had my pc crash from SBH but had issue where Daz would crash on saving if i had a very very dense SBH in scene, and cases where SBH would crash Daz when moving between the tabs of the SBH editor (that hasnt happened to me for a long time now, so maybe they fixed this).

Im sure the most important thing is the number of hair strands, segment length, and the tesselation or w/e (number of sides per strand) - i think default is two, but you can increase this.

Dave230 said:

I skimmed through the comments, but I couldn't find what I was looking for, but, where can I find a list of strand hair parameters that specifically increase GPU memory usage?  I had to reboot my computer a couple times because the memory maxxed out, and my keyboard locked up.  I would really like to separate all parameters that increase memory usage, and the ones that don't.  Maybe Daz could color those parameters bright red, as in "danger, these will crash your computer". :)

i was having this issue with computer locking up during rendering, and i solved it by 1) changing render settings to only use GPU and 2) adding more Sys RAM

Post edited by lilweep on

arr I put my segment length down to 0.50. Tesselation is at 3 now

ok I started put info on my thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2765/time-for-sharing-what-i-have-no-idea/p35 I will add what lilweep just put on.

i always put segment length to 0.1, which i think is the most you can split up the strands, which is probably why my SBH were always so heavy.

i guess each segmentation double geometry

that would be my guess too

for completion sake here is the result

Red Deer Final.jpg
    2000 x 851 - 1M
    Szark said:

it looks really good and realistic.

thank you. It will do. :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    Szark said:

he looks lovely heart

thx Wendy

Szark said:

Wow!

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    Szark said:

3rding. that looks fantastic!

also I can't tell if i've just gotten better at optimizing, but I swear SBH memory consumption has gotten better. I no longer keep hitting a gigabyte just for the geometry and/or my computer freezing

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

I guess this appears to be the active Strand-Based Hair thread. What is wrong with the Strand-Based Hair Editor in DS4.12.2.60? Tools appear to be missing and those that are there don't behave properly. Is this a known problem that has been reported or acknowledged? I don't see anything in the Change Log about it. 

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873

Report it so they know.  You may be the first to see it

edited October 2020
    Mattymanx said:

I reported it and included the attached screenshots. One is the release channel and the other is the beta. The Beta has a row of strange icons on the top of the tools, and the bottom line of tools is missing. Can you confirm this?

---------------------------------

Request #351148

Strand-Based Hair Editor is broken in DS 4.12.2.60

Screenshot 2020-10-29 181644 DS 4.12.1.117.jpg
    1002 x 732 - 125K
    Screenshot 2020-10-29 181524 DS 4.12.2.60.jpg
    1014 x 727 - 358K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Is there a way to save a SBH simulation as a morph?  I have tried to use Morph Loader Pro but it says that the geometry does not match everytime no matter what I do.  I was using the dforce clothing morph saving tutorial and this maybe the wrong way to go about it but I tried searching for tutorials for sbh and didn't find any.

barbult said:
    Mattymanx said:

I reported it and included the attached screenshots. One is the release channel and the other is the beta. The Beta has a row of strange icons on the top of the tools, and the bottom line of tools is missing. Can you confirm this?

Request #351148

I can confirm that it looks like Strand-Based Hair is broken in the current Beta. The tools are quite messed up. None of the icons match what the tool does.

I think the icons got switched around. If you compare both your screen captures, all the "tools" are still in the right place, their icons are all wrong though and none of them match up right.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    3Diva said:
    barbult said:
    Mattymanx said:

Request #351148

I can confirm that it looks like Strand-Based Hair is broken in the current Beta. The tools are quite messed up. None of the icons match what the tool does.

I think the icons got switched around. If you compare both your screen captures, all the "tools" are still in the right place, their icons are all wrong though and none of them match up right.

Mine also.

Thanks for confirming the problem.

• I'm wondering if they're giving up on SBH at least for an indeterminate amount of time.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,024

I just tried it in 4.14, and it seems to be back to normal.

• arstropicaarstropica Posts: 49
    edited January 2021

PhilW said:

I just posted an animation using dForce Longdrape Hair to see how well it animates - it just used its default settings, the animation is done with AniMate Belly Dance clips, the outfit is EJ's Fantasy Dancer. I hope you like it - although Longdrape Hair was not primarily made for animation, I think it fares pretty well with what is a quite demanding animation.

PhilW, 

I am also using Longdrape hair with one of the Belly Dance clips.  Is there a way to dampen the movement of the hair in fast motion animations? With the default simulation settings, the hair is too reactive to movement.

Thanks!

Post edited by arstropica on